Review Dogs beat Pies 99-51

Remove this Banner Ad

West’s performance was inflated by the poor opposition.

16 disposals and not much impact around the ground, poor opposition, a mountain of injuries and quiet a few years in the system. Was more composed than previous outings and hit a few nice targets. But made some poor decisions that looked lazy.

He’s a mile off best 22 once our injuries settle.

Wasn’t unhappy with his performance, but let’s be realistic.

Sweet on the other hand was pretty good. Seemed a little nervous early but settled well and was rag dolling the oppo ruck at some stages later in the game. Not sure what Pies rucks are like (didn’t seem great), but anticipating a harder task next weeks against Witts.
As long as he keeps breaking even and doesn’t go backwards in his development. It’ll be a pass mark.

In all, pretty underwhelmed in the West/Sweet show. Desperately need another Fwd/Ruck to come in to the side.

West's game was better than anything Vandermeer, Scott, Roarke, McNeil, and McComb have put together this year and I'd argue in their respective careers. And most played against the equally inept Bombers as far as opposition go.

Sweet was also better than the ghost of Stefan Martin too. Although that is not a high bar.

Yep but only two clubs made the GF last year and one of them did it without a 2nd rate ruckman taking a spot in the side. A 2nd ruck has to be able to play other positions and Sweet at this stage cannot do that
And the club who won the flag had 2 ruckmen? What’s your point?

Who says a 2nd ruckman has to be able to play other positions? Every other club seems to do fine, couldn’t care less if Sweet plays 40% game time and only rucks & sits on the Bench. Still more useful than the s**t campaigners we’re playing as an extra runner like possibly the worst player currently in the afl, McComb

How do you reconcile these posts.
Go easy on McComb because it's only his 4th game as a 27 year old mature ager.

But go for your life on a 22-23 year old Sweet in his 6th(?) game and especially keep bringing up his poor performance against the best ruck in the competition last year in his 4th ever game...

Seriously some of you people will tie yourself into knots trying to justify the poor decisions our coaches make.
Attacking McComb obviously doesn’t fit his narrative that the club literally cannot make a single bad decision, attacking Sweet on the other hand fits it quite nicely 😂

I've been largely agnostic with Zaine Cordy (although I do believe he is a Bullgod).

So when the debate rages as to who should be dropped (from a backline of Keath/Gardner/Schache/O'Brien/Cordy etc) it has never really bothered me if Cordy is the one who gets mentioned. The interesting thing is that no matter what we on BF think Cordy hardly ever does miss out.

He has played 8 of the 9 games this year (missed R4 due to concussion protocols) and after missing the first 5 rounds last year (3 as emergency) he played every other game except the first semi-final (ill) and the second semi-final (emergency).

His stats are uninspiring. His best ever season for disposals was 2017 (12.68 avge) and they've been on a steady decline since. He rarely kicks a goal (fair enough since he's usually been a defender), has barely 50 CMs across his entire career and is not a big rebounder. Oh and he has never polled in the Brownlow but I guess you knew that.

So what is it about Cordy that gets him a game nearly every week (112 games in his career so far)?

There's something about him that the stats don't show very well. He brings energy and aggression to the contest. As we know he has a world heritage listed knee which helped us get to the GF in 2016 and continues to wreak havoc among trembling forwards and midfielders sitting under a high ball. But there's a bit more. It shows up a bit in his 1%ers (avge around 7 a game when he plays back) and maybe his tackles (2 a game).

I didn't set out to watch him on Friday but from time to time I couldn't help noticing him trying to impose himself into the fray. I can see why they like him. He has none of Bont's grace or fluidity, no great pace, he's an average sort of kick, he's undersized for a KPD or ruckman (193cm) and underweight (listed as 90kg) but he somehow gets the job done. Or mostly done. He's versatile. Doesn't care where he plays as long as he gets a game. He's a scrapper. Always there for second efforts. He fears no-one and I doubt you'll ever see him take short steps or back out of a collision. He's just the sort of bloke you don't mind playing alongside because you know what you'll get and it's always going to be 100% of the limited amount he has to offer.

I'm comfortable with him in the 22. In fact I'm almost a believer. Go Zaine!
I get what you’re saying and I prefer his type to a bloke with all the talent in the world but refuses to accept body contact like Schache. But personally I think we need more out of a key forward than just laying a couple of bumps - people were quick to say he lays blocks and Shepards off the ball to help Naughty last week, okay I’m assuming those same people were at the game or otherwise they’re just talking s**t, as you can’t see that stuff on TV. I’d love to see just one example of one of Naughtys last 7 goals this week & last, that Cordy had a hand in.

We need more output out of that position, Cordy is a negative - he offers nothing and when he does happen to get the ball he turns it over anyway

It’s overstated as we played him last year against average sides like GC who at the time had part time ruckman. Gawn destroyed him

Point I’m trying to make is I think Sweet in the side is better for the team and to some extent the fact we have won 5 games of the 6 his played in adds weight to this understanding it’s doesn’t tell the full story.

I would play English and Sweet this would benefit both and makes it harder for the opposition rucks.

We have more to gain playing Sweet instead of a Mcomb McNeil etc

West's game was better than anything Vandermeer, Scott, Roarke, McNeil, and McComb have put together this year and I'd argue in their respective careers. And most played against the equally inept Bombers as far as opposition go.

Sweet was also better than the ghost of Stefan Martin too. Although that is not a high bar.

What am I wrong about? That West isn’t anywhere near our best 22? Being proven wrong about players is never an issue at my end because unlike many in here, I cheer on all our players and always hope they do well. Unfortunately for you Mike as I know how much it frustrates you, I’m not yet proven wrong.

West always plays an aggressive game and is always hard at player and ball when close by. He’s historically been poor by foot (better on Friday night), and hasn’t been the best decision maker. West is a what you see, is what you get type player. He’s not going to all of a sudden have a Dale the rebounding defender type breakout game. What he’s good at needs to be better and what he’s not needs to improve. Fingers crossed it plays out well, because an aging Libba needs replacing soon.

He’ll no doubt get more games in the coming weeks. Firstly because we’re ****ed with injuries and secondly he deserves to keep his spot after that game. Beyond that, he needs to do a lot more to carve out a 100/200+ games career with us.

If his surname was anything but West, he’d be getting spoken about by most in the same breath as supporter whipping boys.

Regarding the other players you mention. I think that’s a bit of a stretch. Vandermeer’s had some very good games throughout last year. Multiple were considerably better than any West has had. Rourkes also had better games.

The others you could throw a blanket over (West included) as none have pushed a case to be considered best 22.

Sweet was better than Martin the last few games he played. The opposition helped with that though.
I’ll be cheering him on next week against Witts. Hoping he can improve on this weeks outing, although I’m not holding my breath.

U so mad it took 30mins of football for my obvious footy knowledge to shine over yours. Go back to taking mirror selfies & fapping over the thought of telling strangers on the internet you do psychedelics bro

Not trying to be rude, doggies but can I ask how old you are? It’s just you say “bro” a lot and I only ever hear that from youngsters. Just curious is all.

Come On Reaction GIF by WWE

Point I’m trying to make is I think Sweet in the side is better for the team and to some extent the fact we have won 5 games of the 6 his played in adds weight to this understanding it’s doesn’t tell the full story.

I would play English and Sweet this would benefit both and makes it harder for the opposition rucks.

We have more to gain playing Sweet instead of a Mcomb McNeil etc
further, in a team where each week our bottom few players have contributed next to nothing, carrying an extra ruck makes sense, also, tapouts and blocks etc help bring other players into the game as was evidenced on Friday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore from Pies should have been pinged for slinging Naughton and jumping into him late over the boundary line. That is all.
I think it was Hodge said the boundary line came up too quickly for him. Tricky.

Rarely post on here anymore..... was a Bay 13 poster mainly but even that was a few years ago. Tend to lurk these days.

Two things from Friday night. Some of Bailey Dale's kick outs were elite. Watching back the reply confirmed this. Picked out targets from 45 to 50 metres away with laser like precision. With all due respect to Caleb, Dale should take every kick out if he's on the ground. Would rather Daniel further up the field in those situations to be the next kick into the half forward line.

And I've stuck up for this guy before.... yeah, he has his limitations, I get that. But Zaine Cordy is best 22 right now. He may lose his spot when the likes of Bruce come back in, but he tries his guts out every single week and gives his all for the jumper. If footy was like Cricket and the Captain had a say in who gets selected, I'm tipping that Bont goes into bat for him every single time.... you've only got to watch the onfield byplay between those two to see that. Gets flamed by several posters on this forum but his team-mates and coaches seem to love the bloke. Funny that.

😂 Why so upset Mike?

What am I wrong about? That West isn’t anywhere near our best 22? Being proven wrong about players is never an issue at my end because unlike many in here, I cheer on all our players and always hope they do well. Unfortunately for you Mike as I know how much it frustrates you, I’m not yet proven wrong.

West always plays an aggressive game and is always hard at player and ball when close by. He’s historically been poor by foot (better on Friday night), and hasn’t been the best decision maker. West is a what you see, is what you get type player. He’s not going to all of a sudden have a Dale the rebounding defender type breakout game. What he’s good at needs to be better and what he’s not needs to improve. Fingers crossed it plays out well, because an aging Libba needs replacing soon.

He’ll no doubt get more games in the coming weeks. Firstly because we’re f’ed with injuries and secondly he deserves to keep his spot after that game. Beyond that, he needs to do a lot more to carve out a 100/200+ games career with us.

If his surname was anything but West, he’d be getting spoken about by most in the same breath as supporter whipping boys.

Regarding the other players you mention. I think that’s a bit of a stretch. Vandermeer’s had some very good games throughout last year. Multiple were considerably better than any West has had. Rourkes also had better games.

The others you could throw a blanket over (West included) as none have pushed a case to be considered best 22.

Sweet was better than Martin the last few games he played. The opposition helped with that though.
I’ll be cheering him on next week against Witts. Hoping he can improve on this weeks outing, although I’m not holding my breath.
Upset?
You're a weird one Charlie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back