Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

Remove this Banner Ad

Game was lost in the second quarter, after that it was a chase which was never going to happen. Lots of players down on form, tired etc.

Have at it

As much as I don't feel like being positive it was only 4 goals against a very solid Brisbane side. Fix up a couple of selections and sort out the absolute rabble that was our midfield at the contest tonight and we could have won that one which is more than we can say for the last couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed Gardner never pulls on the red white and blue again and would rather not see Richards again this year either.

Midfield were terrible for 2nd half of the 2nd quarter. This is where the game was lost.
Persist with Naughton, Dale, Bruce, VDM and Wallis in attack. Looking forward to adding JUH to that mix.
Not sure what has happened to Ed Richards disposal?
Tim English needs a spell. Better in 2nd half though.
I won't add to the haters ... Match Committee please pick players who are up to the level.

That horrid game is over and The Sound of Music is still on. Silver lining.

The Nazis are coming! The Nazis are coming!

Unless our best players dominate we will struggle against good teams. We have approximately 27 players on our list who are average AFL players at best. Some of these our young and could move up to B graders or better but until they do we will not be challenging anytime soon

We.really need to.go back to basics and develop a plan and purpose of what we are and want to be as a team.

We are not as far away as it seems but we do need some direction and we do need to release at least 5 players who are either no longer AFL level or never have been or will be and I could be generous in this.

Like last week we were closer than the game seemed and these 2 teams are first and second

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a very average team. Game plan is outdated. Match committee is a joke. Bevo choosing Gardner tonight, he's got serious balls because he is putting his career on the line. Not spraying Gardner just stating the obvious he's so far from up to it I don't know what to say. Not his fault bevo chooses him.

As much as I don't feel like being positive it was only 4 goals against a very solid Brisbane side. Fix up a couple of selections and we could have won that one which is more than we can say for the last couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed Gardner never pulls on the red white and blue again and would rather not see Richards again this year either.

Brisbane was professional enough to get the job done before half time when it mattered then did enough without going overboard to keep us at arms length.

24 point margin hides many of our issues from coach to selection to application and skill.

Very disappointing and disillusioned.

Let’s all go back to those good times when this block of fixtures was announced and everyone was positive we were getting all of these contending teams coming off a days shorter rest than us

3 games of looking tired, lazy and slow and the midfield just becoming non-existent

Very frustrating evening, pleased that we fought until the end, again a 10-20 minute patch cost us. As for individual Macrae was unbelievable and then there was the rest all the way down to Gardner.

Here is a quick summary for those who asked for it...

Experience (Games/Goals)

BL: 2184 / 1231
WB: 1809 / 974

Average Age
BL: 25y 278d
WB: 24y 309d

Shots
BL: 26 (54%)
WB: 16 (69%)

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 10.25.25 pm.png

Targets Inside 50
9 - Bruce
7 - Wallis
3 - Naughton
2 - Vandermmer
2 - Dale
1 - Dunkley
1 - McLean
1 - Lipinski
1 - English
1 - Liberatore
1 - Bontempelli
1 - Richards
1 - Lloyd

Rucks Contested (Hitouts)
73 - English (20)
5 - Bruce (2)
2 - Dunkley (1)
1 - Bontempelli (0)

Hitouts to Advantage
BL: 11
WB: 8

Pressure Gauge
BL: 174 (Below Average)
WB: 169 (Poor)

Turnovers Punished By Goals
3 - Liberatore
3 - Gardner
1 - Bruce
1 - Macrae
1 - Richards

Records Broken
Macrae’s 40 disposals (48 scaled to 2019 game length) is the highest for any player in 2020 breaking his own record of 37 against Richmond.

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 10.25.36 pm.png

Ryan Gardner's Matchups

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 10.20.58 pm.png

Last edited:
On the one hand it's good we fought it out and turned a likely 8 or 9 goal loss into a 4 goal loss, but that might detract from the wake up call that's needed. Too many broken tackles, some bizarre skill errors and too many players aren't up to it, but they're somehow still selected :huh:

Midfield is where we need to lift we totally lack structure at stoppages whether your being beaten in the ruck or not you need to actually have a structure. Way too many times the lions got easily goal side through a lack of a sweeper. We also don’t work hard enough defensively.

Need to rotate more guys through there don’t see why vandermeer can’t go through there. We have macrae smith Bont Dunkley libba lipinski mclean and I think vandermeer that can go through there.

English needs to step up he has an 8 day break so zero excuses to not perform next game.

Gardner needs to go and not return.

Overall probably should have been beaten by more but at the same time we weren’t disgraced. We just are not a very good team we are middle of the road with bad coaching, bad structure and lacking leadership

Maybe against the grain here, but I’m dirty on the Bont.

I don’t care about his stats. When the whips were cracking, he was a no-show.

Midfield balance is a massive issue. Massive. One of many.
Can't disagree strongly enough. Watch the replay - the deft touches, the effort, the blocks, they were all there. You are looking in the wrong place. The culprits were not on the field tonight.

We have reverted to the club we've always been in my lifetime...a self satisfied mediocre bunch of back slappers. Time for radical surgery at the top of the organisation.

Unfortunately it needs to come down to the fact that our game plan isn’t stacking up. Maybe it’s too late to work on it and this year is cooked. We like to hold onto the footy and are fumbling and panicking with footy at times and it’s killing us. As soon as a team pressures us, it doesn’t work. When a team doesn’t pressure us, we slaughter them.

During games - momentum ebbs and flows. good teams are able to combat that and can arm wrestle momentum back. Right now we can’t and give up 4-5 + goals quickly. Shorter game means it’s shot and out of reach.

Our midfield needs a lot of work. As does our zone / back 6. teams are cutting us to pieces.

We have a great list but we really need to work on our game plan so badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back