Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

I don’t know if Bevo was just protecting his player but his comments are ridiculous regarding Gardner on Hipwood. It’s even worse if Gardner wasn’t on Hipwood all night, because literally all of Hipwoods goals came when Gardner was clearly the direct matchup.

2 x from holding free kicks
1 x from leaving Hipwood alone in the goalsquare after failing to impact the contest
1 x beating on the lead
1 x beaten in a foot race where Hipwood kicked it from the goalsquare
Knowing Bevo I’d say he was protecting him. Poor Gardy was probably feeling pretty down already so he doesn’t need media scrutiny. And certainly wouldn’t benefit from a public roasting by his coach.

Coaches usually only do that to the established stars who they know have a lot of resilience and would benefit from a public kick up the arse.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t know if Bevo was just protecting his player but his comments are ridiculous regarding Gardner on Hipwood. It’s even worse if Gardner wasn’t on Hipwood all night, because literally all of Hipwoods goals came when Gardner was clearly the direct matchup.

2 x from holding free kicks
1 x from leaving Hipwood alone in the goalsquare after failing to impact the contest
1 x beating on the lead
1 x beaten in a foot race where Hipwood kicked it from the goalsquare
Agreed, but the free kick when Hipwood ran into Gardner's arm was terrible. Along with one other when there was a terrible contest and Hipwood was quicker to react and find space in a dangerous area (which comes with experience that Gardner wouldn't have had). RG was pretty bad, but he wasn't directly responsible for all five goals imo. The other glaring thing is his possessions. Apart from that first chain he was involved in, he paniced and rushed his disposal often, putting teammates in high pressure situations they shouldn't have been in.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Knowing Bevo I’d say he was protecting him. Poor Gardy was probably feeling pretty down already so he doesn’t need media scrutiny. And certainly wouldn’t benefit from a public roasting by his coach.

Coaches usually only do that to the established stars who they know have a lot of resilience and would benefit from a public kick up the arse.

Hope Gardy doesn’t have twitter then lol

Hope Gardy doesn’t have twitter then lol
Good point. I don’t, so it’s out of sight out of mind for me but all the players would be on Twitter I’d think.

I gather he copped a hammering there. Wouldn’t do his self esteem much good.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Don't have time to watch the full game, but I watched the period from 8 mins to go in the 2nd to 8 mins to go in the 3rd, where they kicked 6 unanswered goals and where I assume we lost the game.

• Cordy with some great defensive positioning. Saves a few goals. Keath very good as well.
  • Gardner the opposite. The worst is leaving Hipwood to go ball chasing leading to Hipwood's goal. I can see what they like in him but a few too many mistakes.
  • Speaking of ball chasing, it's a huge problem in the midfield. Their 2 goals of the 6 come from clearances where Dunkley leaves his defensive position and going to the ball leaving his opponent clear. Macrae does this a few times one of which his direct opponent goals, Smith does once and they get the clearance. Bont doesn't leave his opponent per se but he does lose his feet easily which gives them the spare number. They all do good things to redeem themselves but if they avoid these mistakes in the first place we'd be much better for it.
  • When the umpire blows the whistle a lot of our players stop and they take advantage. Hopefully easy to fix
  • Richards with some bad inside 50s. Nice to see him getting in better positions but needs to clean it up
  • Lipinski pretty bad at ground level which leads to a goal
  • Wood doesn't look great, bad kick under no pressure and not doing enough defensively
  • Lloyd lazy. McLuggage leaves him and Lloyd points for someone else to take him. Macrae leaves Zorko to pick him up, but Lloyd stays on no one and Zorko gets the easy ball in the end. Macrae visibly annoyed at this.
  • Lots of fumbles. I put it down to their pressure but we make everything more difficult than it needs to be. On the other hand they constantly have easy options. Need to work on presenting and rewarding the short option.
  • Naughton underdone but not as badly as last time, hopefully just needs the one game to find his feet.

Ok so that’s consecutive weeks when a player stuffs up badly enough to 1) have to be defended by the coach (Gowers and Gardner), or 2) be in tears after the game (JJ). Surely this is unprecedented.

Coaches' Votes. Seems fair although Hipwood got a bit of a leg-up.

Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs

10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Dayne Zorko (BL)
5 Eric Hipwood (BL)
4 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
2 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Zac Bailey (BL)

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I apologise for the bump and intrusion.

Some people enjoyed these last season, so I might as well wheel these out again.

Midfield frequency stats for the game (centre bounce attendances + wingers for each bounce)

Overall Bounces - 28

Macrae 24
Bont 23
Libba 17
McLean 16 (15w, 1i)
Lipinski 16 (12w, 4i)
B.Smith 14 (8w, 6i)
Richards 12 wing
Dunkley 9
Vandemeer 7 wing
Lloyd 2 wing

Rucks

English 24
Bruce 4

Centre Clearances (Lost 10-18)

Libba 3
Bont 2
Macrae 1
Lipinski 1
McLean 1
Lloyd 1
Williams 1

Quarter by Quarter Breakdown

Q1 - 7

Macrae 6
Bont 6
McLean 6 wing
Libba 4
Lipinski 4 wing
Richards 4 wing
DUnkley 3
B.Smith 2

Q2 - 9

Macrae 8
Lipinski 8 wing
McLean 8 wing
Bont 6
Libba 5
B.Smith 4
Dunkley 4
Richards 2 wing

Q3 - 8

Bont 8
Macrae 6
Libba 6
Richards 6 wing
B.Smith 5 wing
Vandemeer 3 wing
Lipinski 2
Lloyd 2 wing
Dunkley 1
McLean 1

Q4 - 4

Macrae 4
Vandeemeer 4 wing
Bont 3
B.Smith 3 wing
Libba 2
Lipinski 2
Dunkley 1
McLean 1 wing

Previous Weeks - Rd 10

Overall Bounces - 17

Bont 14
R.Smith 14 wing
Macrae 14
Lipinski 11 wing
B.Smith 8
Libba 8
Dunkley 7
Richards 7 wing
Vandemeer 2 wing

Rucks

English 17

Centre Clearances (Lost 5-8)

Bont 2
Macrae 1
B.Smith 1
Lipinski 1

Round 9 - 24 Bounces

Lipinski 20 wing
Macrae 20
B.Smith 17
Libba 17
Bont 12
Richards 11 wing
McLean 7 wing
Daniel 7 wing
Gowers 6 (4i, 2w)
Vandemeer 3 wing

Rucks

English 14
Trengove 9
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances Won 12-11

Macrae 4
Libba 3
Bont 2
B.Smith 1
McLean 1
Trengove 1

Round 8 - 17 Bounces

Macrae 15
Lipinski 13 wing
Libba 13 (1w)
B.Smith 12
Bont 9
Richards 8 wing
Vandemeer 7 wing
Lachie Young 5 wing
Porter 3

Rucks

English 16
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances - Won 11-5

Macrae 4
Libba 2
B.Smith 2
Bont 1
English 1
Lipinski 1

Round 7 - 25 Bounces

Lipinski 21 wing
Lachie Young 20 wing
Macrae 19
Libba 18
B.Smith 17
Bont 14
Richards 7 wing
Hunter 7
Vandemeer 1 wing
Bruce 1 wing

Rucks
English 21
Cordy 3
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances (Lost 12-13
Bont 4
Libba 3
Macrae 2
English 2
B.Smith 1

I apologise for the bump and intrusion.

Some people enjoyed these last season, so I might as well wheel these out again.

Midfield frequency stats for the game (centre bounce attendances + wingers for each bounce)

Overall Bounces - 28

Macrae 24
Bont 23
Libba 17
McLean 16 (15w, 1i)
Lipinski 16 (12w, 4i)
B.Smith 14 (8w, 6i)
Richards 12 wing
Dunkley 9
Vandemeer 7 wing
Lloyd 2 wing

Rucks

English 24
Bruce 4

Centre Clearances (Lost 10-18)

Libba 3
Bont 2
Macrae 1
Lipinski 1
McLean 1
Lloyd 1
Williams 1

Quarter by Quarter Breakdown

Q1 - 7

Macrae 6
Bont 6
McLean 6 wing
Libba 4
Lipinski 4 wing
Richards 4 wing
DUnkley 3
B.Smith 2

Q2 - 9

Macrae 8
Lipinski 8 wing
McLean 8 wing
Bont 6
Libba 5
B.Smith 4
Dunkley 4
Richards 2 wing

Q3 - 8

Bont 8
Macrae 6
Libba 6
Richards 6 wing
B.Smith 5 wing
Vandemeer 3 wing
Lipinski 2
Lloyd 2 wing
Dunkley 1
McLean 1

Q4 - 4

Macrae 4
Vandeemeer 4 wing
Bont 3
B.Smith 3 wing
Libba 2
Lipinski 2
Dunkley 1
McLean 1 wing

Previous Weeks - Rd 10

Overall Bounces - 17

Bont 14
R.Smith 14 wing
Macrae 14
Lipinski 11 wing
B.Smith 8
Libba 8
Dunkley 7
Richards 7 wing
Vandemeer 2 wing

Rucks

English 17

Centre Clearances (Lost 5-8)

Bont 2
Macrae 1
B.Smith 1
Lipinski 1

Round 9 - 24 Bounces

Lipinski 20 wing
Macrae 20
B.Smith 17
Libba 17
Bont 12
Richards 11 wing
McLean 7 wing
Daniel 7 wing
Gowers 6 (4i, 2w)
Vandemeer 3 wing

Rucks

English 14
Trengove 9
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances Won 12-11

Macrae 4
Libba 3
Bont 2
B.Smith 1
McLean 1
Trengove 1

Round 8 - 17 Bounces

Macrae 15
Lipinski 13 wing
Libba 13 (1w)
B.Smith 12
Bont 9
Richards 8 wing
Vandemeer 7 wing
Lachie Young 5 wing
Porter 3

Rucks

English 16
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances - Won 11-5

Macrae 4
Libba 2
B.Smith 2
Bont 1
English 1
Lipinski 1

Round 7 - 25 Bounces

Lipinski 21 wing
Lachie Young 20 wing
Macrae 19
Libba 18
B.Smith 17
Bont 14
Richards 7 wing
Hunter 7
Vandemeer 1 wing
Bruce 1 wing

Rucks
English 21
Cordy 3
Bruce 1

Centre Clearances (Lost 12-13
Bont 4
Libba 3
Macrae 2
English 2
B.Smith 1
Thank you :) Please don't apologise, we appreciate your work! Libba's figures look good. Cheers.

Back