Autopsy Dogs beaten by the Lions 96-72

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We’re surely leading the comp in broken tackles against. So many times it’s either broken or a decent enough possession is delivered against us anyway when we seemingly have an opposition player cold.

Honestly think our players are reluctant to completely nail an opposition player in a tackle since crozier got done for his tackle

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think we were as bad as some are making out. That said:
* We got slaughtered in the middle for a large chunk of the second quarter which basically lost us the game. Notably, we went in at center bounces with the Bont/Macrae/Libba combo again and again. It was the perfect opportunity to throw Bailey Smith in there to get a bit more pace but we just stuck with it and kept getting beaten.
* Gardner is quite clearly not up to it. He's a mature player so scope for improvement is even more limited too. I think if Trengove plays we are a 2 goal better team.
* Dale is marked very harshly on here. He had a few "almost" passages where he was about to really open up the game but was struggling for touch. It's an issue with not having the VFL etc to gain match time while coming back from injury.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Honestly think our players are reluctant to completely nail an opposition player in a tackle since crozier got done for his tackle
Fair point although that’s rather pathetic if that’s truly the case.

I think our weakness in this area goes a long way to explaining how opposition teams get on a roll against us.

There’s no way of stopping the rot completely if you can’t just go into a defensive mindset for a few minutes, lay some decent tackles and try stop the momentum.

Barring our back six (mostly), we’d about the worst team in the AFL without the ball.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thoughts on Bevo? Or our game style?

I want his head, he’s a shell of what he was IMO. Doesn’t have what it takes to lead us out of this list wasting slump, becoming more and more obvious everygame.
It’s tricky. It feels like he’s wasting a talented list right now but it only really looks talented because we were bad straight after the flag. Smith and Naughton are the byproduct of being bad. We didn’t like it, but he pretty much committed to a rebuild under our noses. We probably did need to develop young top end talent.

When you consider that, the finals berth last year was a decent effort. I think he’s as impatient as us fans and knows that with Bont, Jacko and Dunks the expectation should be to be very good right now. He probably does have 18 months though with this squad before it’s inexcusable not to be. We’ve starting the “getting older” process to meh results, but we have a bit more “getting older” to do.

He is mismanaging English. He does seem to have too much power or not enough with selection picking hacks and leaving guys like T Mac struggling to be in the squad. That needs a tweak but he seems to live and die by his criteria for MC. I think we’re all sick of it.

If the club address some of his weaknesses like MC, English and coaching a perennially “too cute” playing style then I’ll give him another year. Something needs to be done by leadership about preventing this Hunter disaster also. Two cultural bed shitting seasons in four, three in seven is a disgrace. Good on them with the finances but footy ops leaves a lot to be desired.

So I’m a soft “stick with him” but the clock is ticking and a change of some sort needs to happen

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Where to start....

Need Trengrove as a second ruck. That’d be a start. The coach doesn’t like the obvious though.

Clayton Oliver had the issue where in a stoppage his first instinct is to handball, and generally backwards. Well Libba, Bont, Macrae all have this disease too. Oliver corrected last match and was a far more damaging player. Smith feels like he’s the only player we have with similar explosion off the mark out of the stoppage. It’s a pipe dream but Bolton is exactly the player we need.

JJ. I’ve got the Tom Boyd vibes about him. Completely lost, void of confidence and highly doubt regains his mojo.

And I need to apologise. I thought Neale was overrated. Run around handballs off half back and all that. Well that’s a myth. He’s a gun. Dominated the clearances and not once did Bevo attempt a tag.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?
Unfortunately...

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo looking very deflated and angry in the members video. Interesting he said - blame him if you need to, don’t criticise the players and to make sure you keep supporting them. Wonder if the club can see what goes on on Twitter? Another Gardner bashing last night with the western bulldogs account tagged with it.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On Bevo, I’ve gone from staunch supporter and right behind him, to having some knocks there now that need be brought up.

They’re all pretty obvious and have been mentioned, but the English one is the most puzzling. He’s had 4 years to find other ruckman to support Tim and from our vantage point, it just seems Beveridge has been too stubborn to do so.

Whilst we’ll perhaps reap the rewards a shade earlier (still a big “if” for mine) on English playing a whole lot of games he probably shouldn’t of, doing that to the detriment of team shouldn't be so evident.

Getting continually smashed in clearances and hit outs isn’t development, it’s ignorance and it saps so much energy from a good midfield who are second to the ball and too reactionary as a consequence of getting soundly beaten in the ruck most weeks.

I do find it odd that Trengrove hasn’t played more to support English, Jackson isn’t Max Gawn but he splits most contests with his physicality and isn’t soundly beaten often.

If it isn’t Trengrove then we need to find what Sweet has got and/or target an experienced ruckman at the end of the year.

Beveridge’s hating ruckman is about his biggest weakness for mine (along with loyalty to spud players) and it’s gone on far too long.

It’s far too ignorant if our club doesn’t start addressing this.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On Bevo, I’ve gone from staunch supporter and right behind him, to having some knocks there now that need be brought up.

They’re all pretty obvious and have been mentioned, but the English one is the most puzzling. He’s had 4 years to find other ruckman to support Tim and from our vantage point, it just seems Beveridge has been too stubborn to do so.

Whilst we’ll perhaps reap the rewards a shade earlier (still a big “if” for mine) on English playing a whole lot of games he probably shouldn’t of, doing that to the detriment of team shouldn't be so evident.

Getting continually smashed in clearances and hit outs isn’t development, it’s ignorance and it saps so much energy from a good midfield who are second to the ball and too reactionary as a consequence of getting soundly beaten in the ruck most weeks.

I do find it odd that Trengrove hasn’t played more to support English, Jackson isn’t Max Gawn but he splits most contests with his physicality and isn’t soundly beaten often.

If it isn’t Trengrove then we need to find what Sweet has got and/or target an experienced ruckman at the end of the year.

Beveridge’s hating ruckman is about his biggest weakness for mine (along with loyalty to spud players) and it’s gone on far too long.

It’s far too ignorant if our club doesn’t start addressing this.

Stef Martin a free agent and probably has one year left... he’d be a great role model for Tim but would take away games from him..

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gee I wish Naughton got looked after like some other key forwards.

3rd quarter Gardner had his back turned holding him, umpire looking right at it saying they were holding each other.

then takes a grab on the wing, massive arm chop, no call and it’s spills out to the Lions.

pretty frustrating

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Bevo looking very deflated and angry in the members video. Interesting he said - blame him if you need to, don’t criticise the players and to make sure you keep supporting them. Wonder if the club can see what goes on on Twitter? Another Gardner bashing last night with the western bulldogs account tagged with it.
Good chance. There are tools out there that monitor social media for any wording etc

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Stef Martin a free agent and probably has one year left... he’d be a great role model for Tim but would take away games from him..
I don’t buy the take away games line, a bit of competition in this department won’t hurt English short term who’s certainly versatile enough to play second ruck anyway should we take that approach.

An experienced ruck is what we need if we aren’t going to use Trengove.

Timewillcome

Senior List
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Bev would fly to Brisbane to recruit him. Tell him all the great things they can achieve, sign him to a big contact then play him at VFL level from rd 2.

The refusal of a second ruck option is my biggest ongoing gripe. We recruit Trengove who for all his weaknesses can fill number of holes. No way he gets 5 kicked on him last night. He provides a chop out in the ruck, English can rest up forward where he can actually provide a marking option.

If Trengove plays, I would have moved Naughton back last night to stop the bleeding of goals in the second. Not popular but the game could have been saved. We have no way to break momentum at the moment.

I fear we can't even afford to get rid of Bev now, even if the club wanted to. Unless he walks for free. Not going to happen. Change of assistant coaching needed but probably go into next season unchanged.

Lolling at people talking about Caracella. Not A chance in hell we will bring on any big names to our coaching staff in the off season. If anything we will probably cut more due to coronavirus.
Missing Joel Corey I think, for one.

BomberDog

All Australian
May 27, 2006
Templestowe
Other Teams
Essendon, Bulldogs
We had him lined up a few years ago but Martin backed out. Maybe the horse has bolted on that one. Would have been a fantastic pick up at the time

Time for someone to educate this English simpleton who has never played the game. At almost all centre bounces we have 3 of Libba, Dunkley, Bont, Macrae and Smith. All quality players.

Why then, do we struggle at clearances so badly. I do not purely reference the win/loss figures but rather the actual quality of the clearance. We lose an awful lot of clearances where the opposition stream out of the stoppage and have 2 or 3 seconds to look for targets. Conversely, our own clearance wins are usually hurried kicks under pressure.

I actually don’t understand it. Why are teams so consistently better at exiting stoppages and also better at containing us when we clearly have the talent around the footy?
Because we sacked our clearance coach, Joel Corey.

He gets out bodied worse than Gardner, turns it over and makes poor decisions. In time I think Young will be a better player, but not now
LeYoung is not better than a player who gets negative points in SC ???
Why not play someone who has a chance of being a good player?

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've not received the members message this week. Maybe its best I don't see it lol

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After listening to the press conference I’m convinced Bevo will stick with Gardner. He was extremely defensive when asked about the Hipwood match up, blaming the midfield rather than Gardner. It wasn’t the midfielders hanging onto the jumper for dear life...

anyone else who listened to the presser get the same impression?

Yeah he was fairly adamant that Gardner wasn’t matched up on Hipwood the entire game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Steve Grace was our stoppage coach last year when our midfield was dominant, no coincidence that him moving on coincided with a massive drop in our organisation around stoppages this year. Desperately need an internal review and redtricture of the club ie Richmond and Collingwood.

Back