Review Dogs belt the filty Plastics 125 to 105

Remove this Banner Ad

Bank the win but there was nothing there to say we have turned the corner. We got smashed in centre clearances for a half, even with Pruess injured in the first quarter. Our defence was to easily scored against a product of GWS carrying the ball out of our forward line with little pressure and we do not have a quality lockdown smaller defender. Duryea being our best but he would have not stopped Greene.

Three standout players Cody, Astro and Jacko got us over the line. Not sure how long Cody is out but we sure did miss Bailey Smith.

PS

How in the world did Bevo gift Gardiner games over Lewis Young I will never understand. Yes Gardiner has improved and gives 100% but he skills are very limited. Lewis Young is taller and more skilled I thought he did a good job on Lynch the other night. If Bevo had given him the same go as Gardiner he would still be at the dogs.

Last edited:
Bank the win but there was nothing there to say we have turned the corner. We got smashed in centre clearances for a half, even with Pruess injured in the first quarter. Our defence was to easily scored against a product of GWS carrying the ball out of our forward line with little pressure and we do not have a quality lockdown smaller defender. Duryea being our best but he would have not stopped Greene.

Three standout players Cody, Astro and Jacko got us over the line. Not sure how Cody is out but we sure did miss Bailey Smith.

PS

How in the world did Bevo gift Gardiner games over Lewis Young I will never understand. Yes Gardiner has improved and gives 100% but he skills are very limited. Lewis Young is taller and more skilled I thought he did a good job on Lynch the other night. If Bevo had given him the same go as Gardiner he would still be at the dogs.
Why is Gards the whipping boy again? It was the smalls and Keath who were the defensive issues last night

Naughts completely changed his forward craft this week. He looked as though he started to just lead hard at the footy in straight lines and take it out in front. This is not at all how he usually plays, he’s a lateral aerial contest kind of guy.

This seems like a direct result of the last few weeks where he was being tf bumped out of the contest midair ala Sam Collins. Screams of adjustments during the bye. I like it.

Thought Marra and Schache did exactly what 2nd and 3rd talls are for. They lead out of the space and opened up lanes for Naughts and Cody.

Schache seems to be taking the footy above his head far more cleanly than previous, too. Good sign.

We need to focus on drafting/trading/developing a couple of varying sizes of lockdown defenders. We can’t afford to not have Doc or a type akin to him.

Naughts completely changed his forward craft this week. He looked as though he started to just lead hard at the footy in straight lines and take it out in front. This is not at all how he usually plays, he’s a lateral aerial contest kind of guy.

This seems like a direct result of the last few weeks where he was being tf bumped out of the contest midair ala Sam Collins. Screams of adjustments during the bye. I like it.

Thought Marra and Schache did exactly what 2nd and 3rd talls are for. They lead out of the space and opened up lanes for Naughts and Cody.

Schache seems to be taking the footy above his head far more cleanly than previous, too. Good sign.

We need to focus on drafting/trading/developing a couple of varying sizes of lockdown defenders. We can’t afford to not have Doc or a type akin to him.

Naughts loves when opposition defenders play in front, hence he smashed collins early and then Collins made the adjustment to block and grab and play from behind which Aaron doesn't want.

Adjustment was very nice, he led up at the carrier with space in front. Hence the importance of other big forwards like Schache and Jamarra to provide lead up channels and space.

The play that Naughts hit the post was the perfect method. Jamarra times the lead perfectly and draws the main interceptor in himmelburg. He then moves the ball quickly and drops it in the hole before the opposition have time to adjust. Naughts gets the one on one and has the power and speed to get seperation.

This is why beveridges insane idea to mixup the structure each week is crazy. You need other targets that command respect. If a medium or small takes that mark that Jamarra did, good chances Himmelburg doesn't bother following and just sits in the hole.

Jamarra and Schache might not have had world beating games but the whole flow of the forward line changes. Bruce offers the exact same solution except added goal kicking firepower.

Why did it take until the bye to change the structures up forward? Super frustrating.

I reckon Roarke will be a good lockdown defender ducks head. I don't know about his foot speed though.

No denying our defence struggled. But heaping all the blame on them for conceding 100+ points and countless easy goals is not fair.

Like all teams in the competition, we play a team zone defence. It was clearly evident from 5 minutes into the first quarter the Giants were going to attack the corridor at all costs. The inability of our coaches/players to adjust the positioning of our high forwards, mids and wings in our zone was staggering in the first half.

The backline is absolutely no chance when teams are streaming through the corridor with minimal pressure. The Giants were doing it almost recklessly. When teams are playing like that you're going to concede easy goals. Can't avoid it.

You only have to look at our score to see why teams don't play that way often. You can get slaughtered the other way if it goes wrong.

No denying we should've atleast halved a few of those contests in defence to avoid goals. But some of the blame needs to be directed up the field.

Also the lack of talls Aaron often has to play with must mess up his mindset.

If hes the only tall option, good chances are he is going to stay deep and at the back for the bail out kick. Because if we play small and he leads up at the ball carrier, any rushed ball over his head means we have smalls only competing in the air against opposition talls. With the right structure though, he can feel more confident that if he hits up at the ball carrier there is a better chance of someone like Schache/Jamarra deeper to at least half the contest and bring it to ground.

Just gotta persist with JUH. He's got talent and unfortunately our vfl has been a basket case most of the season so it'll kill him to send him back down.

He converts that point to a goal and Naughts kicks the assist and he's 2 goals 1 assist for the game which you'd take most weeks. That's not even counting the rest of the 'almost' marks / burns he had.

Gonna make a call that he'll kick a bag this season if he stays in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw is Naughton favourite for the BnF right now? Other star performers like Smith and English will miss too many games.

Would probably be the biggest injustice in the history of football if Macrae was to never win a BnF but Naughts might be leading. He's been named in our best players (going by AFL.com) 8/13 games.

A bit more joy to add to the win

287997189_10159823280357487_5692446568630503338_n.jpg

289320788_10159823280247487_6595202785206484684_n.jpg

289151674_10159823280287487_8131036543000831936_n.jpg

Btw is Naughton favourite for the BnF right now? Other star performers like Smith and English will miss too many games.

Would probably be the biggest injustice in the history of football if Macrae was to never win a BnF but Naughts might be leading. He's been named in our best players (going by AFL.com) 8/13 games.

Have a feeling Bailey Dale is half a chance this year.

That free kick to Dunkley at the end was seriously bad. That was incredibly soft for "in the back." I did feel like we were pretty hard done by though for majority of the night. What about that free against Richards on Riccardi? I've watched it back a few times and can't understand exactly what rule he was alleged to have broken there. We see Tom Hawkins do that exact thing about 800 times every match and commentators jizz over the raw display of strength. I really can't stand the double standards for defenders and forwards in this game.

Last edited:

I reckon it’s Macrae’s to lose, but Dale, Dunkley, and Naughton rounding out the top 4.

There’s fundamental issues in our team defence philosophy tbh and it’s found out every week, sometimes our offence is good enough to cover it but it’s a serious disadvantage to our game week after week.

Taking front position as a defender is fine, I want all our defenders to take front position. But we have to adjust how aggressively we do that depending on situation. When the balls in a contested situation, the midfield should be able to pressure any incoming deliveries and our defenders rightfully should be in very aggressive positions to intercept but when teams have a mark 60m out from goal or when you can see the opposition is streaming forward relatively easily you have to adjust and pay respect to your opponent. Sit in front of them but do not give them 15m. It’s crazy.

With an un-pressured kick inside 50, giving your opponent 15m means all they have to do is get it relatively close to their advantage and there is nothing our defence can do. How often are our defenders caught out of position trying to make it back in time to cover whilst the oppo just has a relatively simple kick inside 50 to advantage. We need to tighten up.

This is precisely why strong marking forwards are kicking bags on us every single week. Our defenders are up against as is ability wise, by giving them that extra advantage we’ve got genuinely no hope. It’s that bloody obvious now but nothing changes.

Plus the outside 5 continues to allow teams to rip us - how are we still doing this? It does not work it’s quite clear.

Very very simple changes that will solve a lot of issues for us

And Naughts had a night out because the oppo defenders couldn't sag off and triple team him all the time. Go figure 🤔
Exactly. Schache is often amongst the hardest runners in the team, in the top few for distance covered. He drags defenders away, leads strongly and helps structure up the forward line. It’s no coincidence that our forward line often looks more cohesive when he is in the team.

A lot of people on here criticise GWS just for the sake of it. Fortunately I am above that. So when they do something unique and beneficial I say good on them. Nice touch at the start of the game for them to have every one of their supporters on the ground and forming a guard of honour for the players up to the banner. Nice touch.

That free kick to Dunkley at the end was seriously bad. That was incredibly soft for "in the back." I did feel like we were pretty hard done by though for majority of the night. What about that free against Richards on Riccardi? I've watched it back a few times and can't understand exactly what rule he was supposed to have broken there. We see Tom Hawkins do that exact thing about 800 times every match and commentators jizz over the raw display of strength. I really can't stand the double standards for defenders and forwards in this game.
Thought the first Green one was a stinker too, I can’t see any touch on him whatsoever and both dogs players looking at the ball

Edit: and the 50 from Dunks on Hogwan, what on earth was that?

Three standout players Cody, Astro and Jacko got us over the line. Not sure how Cody is out but we sure did miss Bailey Smith.

PS

Gardner and Young are pretty much on par and by par I mean they're serviceably middle of the road placeholders in teams that either dont have or have better players injured.

Neither are particularly good at defending the man when isolated and both have suspect skills with ball in hand.

The one attribute that they do to an adequate level is punch the high ball in packs.

Beyond that, they're much of a blandness.

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 2.11.50 pm.png

Thought the first Green one was a stinker too, I can’t see any touch on him whatsoever and both dogs players looking at the ball

Yeah I had that same thought. I think the "front on contact" shouldn't be enforced if the player is obviously making a play at the ball and has eyes only for the footy. I'm pretty sure Duryea even got a hand on the ball.

For all the BnF watchers out there, here are all the listings of AFL.com best players every round.

RD 1 - Macrae, Naughton, Smith, Dunkley, Dale, Treloar
Rd 2 - English, Macrae, Treloar, Liberatore, Bontempelli, Dunkley
RD 3 - English, Weightman, Smith, Dunkley, Dale, Treloar
Rd 4 - Smith, Macrae, Dale, Bontempelli, Dunkley, Naughton
Rd 5 - Smith, Naughton, Macrae, Dale, Liberatore, Duryea, Treloar, Weightman
Rd 6 - Liberatore, Dale, Macrae, Smith, Treloar
Rd 7 - Macrae, Dunkley, McNeil, Bontempelli, Smith, McComb, Treloar
Rd 8 - Naughton, B.Smith, Macrae, Dale, Liberatore
Rd 9 - Treloar, Smith, Dunkley, Macrae, Naughton, Liberatore
Rd 10 - Bontempelli, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Naughton, Richards, Treloar
rd 11 - English, Dunkley, Treloar, Naughton, Liberatore, Dale, Macrae
rd 12 - Liberatore, Smith, Dale, Macrae, Dunkley, Bontempelli
rd 13 - Macrae, Weightman, Naughton, English, Dunkley, Bontempelli

1) Macrae - 12/13
2) Smith 10/13 - Has polled in every game he has played in.
3) Dunkley 9/13
3) Treloar 9/13
5) Naughton 8/13
5) Dale 8/13
7) Libba 7/13

Goes to show we have got nowhere near what we hope out of Bont and basically nothing from Daniel this year. Daniel hasnt been listed once. I believe Afl.com has a fair bit of bontempelli bias where if in doubt they just chuck him in anyway.

Macrae also had a stinker where he got his usual 32 but had a horror day/night with disposal and he still got a listing anyway (may have been the Richmond/Adelaide game). So mids do usually get all the love.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back