Review Dogs belt the filty Plastics 125 to 105

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One other adjustment I’d like to see in our positioning is on offence to hold position a little bit more than we do. I understand in the modern game your whole side follows the ball from end to end but I think we need to make more of a conscious effort for our deepest forward line to not get sucked too high up the field - whether that’s even just a few players that are happy to sit back a bit and hold that ground it’d make a big difference.

It’s fine for most teams who move the ball a bit slower than us, through short kicks etc as the ball moves up the ground and players take marks your forward line has time to get back in position and offer the next option in the chain.

But with the way we move the ball by hand quickly we’re constantly too quick for our own good and it ends up with us having nothing to kick to and either overpossessing the footy by hand and turning it over or kicking to no one and having it come back over our head.

Especially because we don’t have quick wings or forward flanks to get them over the back. Hunter, Scott, Williams, McComb, West even Cody & McNeil etc all not super quick - would be different if we had the likes of JJ, VDM, Bedendo, Arty etc in the future as our wings/high half forwards as then after our chain of handballs out of defence comes to an end you have those guys getting back quickly and can open up the defence going inside 50 to catch them out the back

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If you’re really thinking this, we really do have a problem. This is where a footy manager and board level oversight must be clear in their reality of what is happening. Head coach must be a great manager of all the personal (players,coaches,staff) under his watch). His assistant coaches can have the game plan worked out, head coach doesn’t necessarily need to be the best at this but has to know when to park his ego and allow these coaches their rightful place. Fine line I know, is Bevo incapable of this now? What I saw last night is a team that will get destroyed by well drilled finals contenders in the next few months. Chris Grant and Luke Darcy are your eyes open?

Yeah look, I’m pretty sure if you lined all the coaches up, one that’s gotten a team to finals in all bar two seasons for two grand finals and one premiership isn’t going to be the worst coach by some distance.
Adjust your sarcasm metres please!

And Scrag, I assume my post collected a dislike from you because you can't accept other people do sarcasm too - and in this case better?! :laughing:

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Adjust your sarcasm metres please!

And Scrag, I assume my post collected a dislike from you because you can't accept other people do sarcasm too - and in this case better?! :laughing:

I just thought it was a bit cringe/unfunny/trying too hard. As someone who allegedly commits those crimes frequently, I'm well-positioned to identify them.

Naughton is by far the best player on our list and would easily be leading our bnf this year. Perfect combination of freak athleticism and incredible work rate and competetitive drive. We’re so lucky to have him!
Some of his chasing when out of position is incredible. He's our most important player, marginally ahead of English

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only seen snippets of the game, but read that Schache was played in defence at times.

Can anyone shed any light on why we would have been playing a 4 KPD structure down there with Keith, TOB, Gardner and Schache ? Was he just drifting down playing loose man or a matchup thing or one of the others off the ground...?
Don’t think he ever started there, followed his ruckman on occasion but must have also just drifted down as I noticed him down there when English was there too on more than one occasion. He played very very high all game which suited him

MCL for Duryea, significant but likely not ACL
It's not perfect science, but sometimes you can usually tell by the amount of pain the player seems to be in if it's an ACL. Someone who knows a bit about this stuff told me an ACL is really painful for the first few seconds then ok and MCL is a lot more painful.
Spewing for Duryea he's been good for us - glad it's not an ACL

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
MCL for Duryea is significantly better. He probably won't be back this year but he'd be returning to the preseason healed up at the same time as everyone else. An ACL could have potentially been career over since he'd miss a significant chunk of next season as well and at 31 coming out of contract that would have been exceptionally hard to come back from.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The best thing about Naughton is that he's never out of the contest, he chases and tackles just as much as a pressure small.

It’s what sets him apart from every other key fwd. I’d take his work without the footy over Lynch and CO’s higher goal average.

Most underrated player in the comp and deserves a hell of a lot more recognition than he gets from pundits.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's not perfect science, but sometimes you can usually tell by the amount of pain the player seems to be in if it's an ACL. Someone who knows a bit about this stuff told me an ACL is really painful for the first few seconds then ok and MCL is a lot more painful.
Spewing for Duryea he's been good for us - glad it's not an ACL

Not every case is like that. I did an acl years ago and it was excruciating. Felt like someone had taken to it with a sledge hammer.

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reckon needs a bit more love here! Most mentioned him but his attack at the ball and the man and his confidence has made a great contribution. Bevo must be a bit sheepish about not picking him earlier but hopefully we get him settled in the team from now on. VDM and García will be back but would prefer West in this role - he just has that threat about him.

Reckon needs a bit more love here! Most mentioned him but his attack at the ball and the man and his confidence has made a great contribution. Bevo must be a bit sheepish about not picking him earlier but hopefully we get him settled in the team from now on. VDM and García will be back but would prefer West in this role - he just has that threat about him.

The suspense is killing us

But I think you’re referring to West

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
English getting pumped up by AFL.com

1. Look out, Max, Tim is coming for your crown​

Melbourne premiership captain Max Gawn has been the clear standout ruckman in the League for the best part of six years, but his time at the top could be coming to an end very soon. While Gawn spends the first of his four-plus weeks on the sidelines, Tim English staked his claim to takeover the mantle with a dominant performance against GWS on Saturday night. Admittedly the cards fell English's way with Matt Flynn withdrawing pre-match and Braydon Preuss subbed out early, but the 24-year-old still put on a clinic to not only give his midfielders first use of the ball, but become a key link in the chain with 23 disposals and a healthy 416m gained. He also dropped down back for a few colossal marks. English might have a way to go to match Gawn's ruckwork, but his all-round game gets better and better with each passing week. - Ben Sutton

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wonder what our win/loss and percentage would be based on expected scores for the year?

Those ruck stats arent great against a makeshift.

Tim still does that thing in ball ups and throw ins where he waits for the opposing ruck to make first movement and physical contact, those ones are quite often a hit out to advantage to the opposition. he needs to initiate or match.
The passive instinct is so hard to overcome, Schache too, he's 10 or 15% more proactivity and aggression away from a good AFL player

Expected score ladder at the end of R14...

ELP.png

Exactly. Schache is often amongst the hardest runners in the team, in the top few for distance covered. He drags defenders away, leads strongly and helps structure up the forward line. It’s no coincidence that our forward line often looks more cohesive when he is in the team.
Just watching him last night, there were a couple of times he kicked it from the backline to the wing and by the time the ball was entering 50 on the next kick, he was already there. Huge tank. I hope it all clicks cos we do look better with him out there

Gardner and Young are pretty much on par and by par I mean they're serviceably middle of the road placeholders in teams that either dont have or have better players injured.

Neither are particularly good at defending the man when isolated and both have suspect skills with ball in hand.

The one attribute that they do to an adequate level is punch the high ball in packs.

Beyond that, they're much of a blandness.

View attachment 1427693
So what you are saying is bring on a Tassie team so they will "steal" Gards as their marquee player?....

Back