Review Dogs belt the filty Plastics 125 to 105

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it’s filled by the likes of those guys - because it’s the hardest role in football to find. That’s why Freo would pay big money for it. Darcy is and will always be their number one he’s better suited for it than Jackson - they want him to partner him.

Timmy and Jackson could play this role at a level which no one else in the competition could. Those players you’ve listed are s**t, exactly that’s the point of difference you could find as a team by having one of these two.

One last thing, have a look at Jackson’s output this year, his numbers aren’t anywhere near what a player getting $1.5m per would be delivering. That role just doesn’t offer enough.

Averages across this season... 12 disposals, 12 hitouts, 0.6 goals, 3.7 marks.

He doesn’t actually play that role that well. Not many do, because as I mentioned earlier, you just don’t get the opportunity as a second ruck/fwd that you do as a number 1.

Let's make sure we get his signature first. Right now he's stamping himself as one of the most influential players in the league - if not now, then by next season. Gawn-like. He just needs to get some continuity.

No doubt his manager is fielding a lot of calls ATM. I'll be a lot happier when they announce he has signed a 3-4 year extension.

Agree. Every week that ticks by, his value rises and his importance in our team grows.

I just don’t see a player being paid that kind of money to play that role. In my opinion it’s not that important of a role.

You may be right, Darcy continues as No1. I think it’s money wasted.
I wouldn’t pay 1.5 for any ruckman or ruck/utility to be completely honest, it’s crazy money and I don’t think Jackson has proved anything at this stage

One last thing, have a look at Jackson’s output this year, his numbers aren’t anywhere near what a player getting $1.5m per would be delivering. That role just doesn’t offer enough.

Averages across this season... 12 disposals, 12 hitouts, 0.6 goals, 3.7 marks.

He doesn’t actually play that role that well. Not many do, because as I mentioned earlier, you just don’t get the opportunity as a second ruck/fwd that you do as a number 1.
I think Jackson is being so incredibly overhyped. He's good great potential as a player but no consistent output to back-up the huge figures thrown around. Sometimes it's a lot eassier to look good when you're backing up Max Gawn and have Oliver, Petracca & Viney at your feet.

He also has absolutely zero form as a number 1 ruckman, although that's about to change with Gawn's injury. The way people talk about him, you'd think he's some absolute prodigy and already producing at an elite level. The reality is that he's a great prospect performing competently in the role asked of him.

You do not spend 1.5m per season on a forward/ruck. That is insane. How many forward/rucks have made the AA side in the past 20 years. Not many. Particularly when they only select either pure KPFs or primary rucks.

Although we spent 1m on Boyd to play the exact same position so if anyone is to blame we are 😂.

You do not spend 1.5m per season on a forward/ruck. That is insane. How many forward/rucks have made the AA side in the past 20 years. Not many. Particularly when they only select either pure KPFs or primary rucks.

Although we spent 1m on Boyd to play the exact same position so if anyone is to blame we are 😂.
Boyd had forward craft Jackson is an undersized Ruck/Forward

I'll be a lot happier when they announce he has signed a 3-4 year extension.
I'd remove the hyphen dogwatch. I think Tim can easily play until he's 58. And if not, at least it keeps him out of anyone else's clutches until Geelong inevitably come sniffing in the late 2040s.

I don't watch the Fuchias closely, so only see Jackson occasionally. He always seems to move very well though for his size.

Maybe Freo see him as a swingman, that they can deploy forward, back or ruck? That flexibility means he can predominantly be paired with Darcy in the ruck as required, or used at either end as a KPP.

While still not worth 1.5 p.a. in such a role for any other club, given his age and if he helps them nab a flag, then like Tom Boyd, he's worth all of that to a club that is yet to win one.

I just re-watched the game. JUH had hands to the ball 4 times where a mark would have been paid to players like Cameron, Hawkins and King. They were all borderline and fair that they weren’t paid but he gets those every day of the week if you’re a higher profile player.

He’s really close to contributing properly and having three talls up there defintely helps.

On the flip side, it’s the reason we were scored against much heavier than usual. Our spare pressure man was replaced by the third tall and therefor we need to make some changes to sure that side of the game up structurally to ensure we can compete going both ways.

Sweet gets a gig again against Hawthorn so JUH and Shack both stay for sure.
He was also burned on really good leads about 5 times.

I thought we were scored heavily against because we couldnt stop the kick out of D50 that went in the middle to about half way between the centre circle and our attacking edge of the square. From there GWS are basically in the middle of the ground (because we don't pressure on the mark) and can kick inside 50 in any direction.

To be fair he was purchased as a KPF but in true Bulldogs fashion turned into a Fwd Ruck . Got us a Premiership so am not complaining 😏

A bit more joy to add to the win

287997189_10159823280357487_5692446568630503338_n.jpg

289320788_10159823280247487_6595202785206484684_n.jpg

289151674_10159823280287487_8131036543000831936_n.jpg
Wow that bromance is strong with those 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Timmy was actually a good forward long-term, he would have proven it in the finals series last year, but he didn't, where was largely shut out of games, and had one mark inside 50 for one behind (ironically when rotated in the ruck and pushed forward against Essendon) across the four games.

People are acting like it's a done thing, and he was proven as a forward. It isn't, actually. He arguably only had one game at all last year that could make you think "this guy's a forward" - R4 win over Brisbane in Ballarat. That's it.

On top of that, people also are forgetting that we already had the West Coast game and played Sweet, not English forward. You'd think if English forward was an idea that we thought, we would have experimented with it more in that game. But we didn't. Because English isn't a forward. If he was he would have played better in last year's finals. Again, he didn't play well.

If Timmy was actually a good forward long-term, he would have proven it in the finals series last year, but he didn't, where was largely shut out of games, and had one mark inside 50 for one behind (ironically when rotated in the ruck and pushed forward against Essendon) across the four games.

People are acting like it's a done thing, and he was proven as a forward. It isn't, actually. He arguably only had one game at all last year that could make you think "this guy's a forward" - R4 win over Brisbane in Ballarat. That's it.

On top of that, people also are forgetting that we already had the West Coast game and played Sweet, not English forward. You'd think if English forward was an idea that we thought, we would have experimented with it more in that game. But we didn't. Because English isn't a forward. If he was he would have played better in last year's finals. Again, he didn't play well.

I mean, you could do a very similar rant about him as a ruckman, swap that paragraph where you mention Sweet for a bit about Lewis Young in last year's finals or playing a coupse-like Martin ahead of him and talk about how often his best games as a ruck have come against part timers, or how average opposition ruckmen like Pittonet and Stanley are still getting a hold of him this year. I'm not suggesting he's not a good player. He's clearly a very good, but confounding, player.

His start to last year as a forward/ruck, until Martin was injured, was outstanding. It's also a matter of record that he had other clubs sniffing around last year because he was unhappy not being first ruck, and Bev has said we're accomodating his request to play ruck rather than forward. We also (apparently) chased Ivan Soldo last year, who's far less of a forward than English. So saying that he's not playing forward simply because he can't or wasn't great in last years finals (when he was only particularly good as a ruck for half the SF) is just reductive.

Last edited:
I mean, you could do a very similar rant about him as a ruckman, swap that paragraph where you mention Sweet for a bit about Lewis Young in last year's finals or playing a coupse-like Martin ahead of him and talk about how often his best games as a ruck have come against part timers, or how average opposition ruckmen like Pittonet and Stanley are still getting a hold of him this year. I'm not suggesting he's not a good player. He's clearly a very good, but confounding, player.

His start to last year as a forward/ruck, until Martin was injured, was outstanding. It's also a matter of record that he had other clubs sniffing around last year because he was unhappy not being first ruck, and Bev has said we're accomodating his request to play ruck rather than forward. We also (apparently) chased Ivan Soldo last year, who's far less of a forward than English. So saying that he's not playing forward simply because he can't or wasn't great in last years finals (when he was only particularly good as a ruck for half the SF) is just reductive.
On top of that, people also are forgetting that we already had 2021 and played Young, not English in the ruck. You'd think if English in the ruck was an idea that we thought, we would have experimented with it more in those games. But we didn't. Because English isn't a ruckman. If he was he would have played better in last year's games. Again, he didn't play well.

Lewy Young > English confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back