Review Dogs Comeback Win Against The Pies, You Beauty

Remove this Banner Ad

Reminds me of Round 22, 1996.

Had we pipped the Bombers, Granty would have had Charlie draped around his neck .... 3 to Hird, 2 to Grant, and only because Essendon won by 4.
The umpire, Russo, said as much in an interview a few years back.

With less than a minute left in the game and a few points up (3, I think), Steve Kretiuk marked in the back pocket. Instead of going long down the line, he went inboard to Horse Ellis but kicked it over his head and Mark Mercuri ran onto it and kicked the winner with about 17 seconds left.

Hird won, and Grant lost, a Brownlow, purely because of a piece of play neither were involved in.
It was about that time that I realised things had changed forever between me and Brownlow.

Choking back my emotion I said to her "You've cheated on me and I know you are sorry and you say you really understand what I'm going through. But I can never feel the same way about you again."

We had a bit of an on-again off-again relationship (if you know what I mean) for quite a while after that. And I still sometimes catch up with her for old times sake.

But I knew after that moment that she wasn't going to be my fairest and best forever.

It was about that time that I realised things had changed forever between me and Brownlow.

Choking back my emotion I said to her "You've cheated on me and I know you are sorry and you say you really understand what I'm going through. But I can never feel the same way about you again."

We had a bit of an on-again off-again relationship (if you know what I mean) for quite a while after that. And I still sometimes catch up with her for old times sake.

But I knew after that moment that she wasn't going to be my fairest and best forever.

Are you still Facebook stalking, crying while listening to Up There Cazaly and One Day In September while eating ice cream and sending Intoxigrams !!

We got a Jackson Macrae mark of the year nomination before GTA6

I miss quad calls. Does anyone know if AFL 360 did the quad call of Darcy’s goal?

AL’s Highlights aka Bulldogs Footy Highlights used to post quad calls on YouTube.

Unfortunately the channel hasn’t posted a video for a year and I do wonder what happened because they were the best at it.

article on the club’s website

The Western Bulldogs achieved a 25-year-first in the win over Collingwood last Friday night, according to Champion Data.

Taking a deep dive into the post-match stats, the Dogs were first to the ball nine less times than the Pies at stoppage but ended up winning 17 more clearances.

It’s a turnaround Champion Data has never seen in their 25 years of collating stats, and a feat made even more impressive when considering the Bulldogs were without typical clearance king Tom Liberatore.

Of the Dogs’ 55 clearances on Friday night, star duo Adam Treloar (11) and Marcus Bontempelli (10) were the main culprits, while 12-gamer Harvey Gallagher (6) was next best.

The remaining 28 clearances were spread across 12 different players.

Bontempelli sits fourth across the competition for total clearances this season (80), followed closely by Treloar (77) on the club-house leaderboard.

Liberatore leads the league for average clearances with 9.8 per game (next best Fremantle’s Caleb Serong, averaging 7.8).

The Western Bulldogs achieved a 25-year-first in the win over Collingwood last Friday night, according to Champion Data.

Taking a deep dive into the post-match stats, the Dogs were first to the ball nine less times than the Pies at stoppage but ended up winning 17 more clearances.

It’s a turnaround Champion Data has never seen in their 25 years of collating stats, and a feat made even more impressive when considering the Bulldogs were without typical clearance king Tom Liberatore.

Of the Dogs’ 55 clearances on Friday night, star duo Adam Treloar (11) and Marcus Bontempelli (10) were the main culprits, while 12-gamer Harvey Gallagher (6) was next best.

Bontempelli sits fourth across the competition for total clearances this season (80), followed closely by Treloar (77) on the club-house leaderboard.

Liberatore leads the league for average clearances with 9.8 per game (next best Fremantle’s Caleb Serong, averaging 7.8).

That’s not clear to me. What are CD saying actually happens?

I can guess at least one interpretation but I don’t know if that’s what they actually mean.

Perhaps a better description of what’s going on would also help explain why what seems an unremarkable stat is being described as unprecedented.

That’s not clear to me. What are CD saying actually happens?

I can guess at least one interpretation but I don’t know if that’s what they actually mean.

Perhaps a better description of what’s going on would also help explain why what seems an unremarkable stat is being described as unprecedented.
Possession doesn't necessarily lead to a clearance.

By definition, there is a first possession immediately after a stoppage.

They were +9 on first possession, -17 on clearance (detailed numbers below).

Given that they are generally correlated, that turnaround of 24 is the largest in their records.

More detail:

Most often this is a repeat stoppage, but on occasion, players can get dispossessed. Most obviously this might be e.g. a holding the ball decision, but can players can just get dispossessed, ie, the ball knocked out in a tackle.

There was about 112 stoppages in the game (more than usual), which is the total amount of hitouts in teh game.

There was 93 total clearances. We won 55 to 38.

They were +9 in first possession. That means of the 112 stoppages, they got their first hands on about 60, and us about 51.

Their 60-odd first possessions led to only 38 clearances.
Our 50 first possessions led to about 55 clearances.

An obvious culprit of this is Daicos who got 32 touches (and 16 clearances) but had 35 total possessions. My guess is that there was probably a half-dozen times he got first hands at the stoppage, but that directly led to a Dogs clearance, which is rare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting usage that they would describe Treloar and Bont, being our 2 most prolific clearance players in this game, as culprits, which generally has negative connotations.

Possession doesn't necessarily lead to a clearance.

By definition, there is a first possession immediately after a stoppage.

They were +9 on first possession, -17 on clearance (detailed numbers below).

Given that they are generally correlated, that turnaround of 24 is the largest in their records.

More detail:

Most often this is a repeat stoppage, but on occasion, players can get dispossessed. Most obviously this might be e.g. a holding the ball decision, but can players can just get dispossessed, ie, the ball knocked out in a tackle.

There was about 112 stoppages in the game (more than usual), which is the total amount of hitouts in teh game.

There was 93 total clearances. We won 55 to 38.

They were +9 in first possession. That means of the 112 stoppages, they got their first hands on about 60, and us about 51.

Their 60-odd first possessions led to only 38 clearances.
Our 50 first possessions led to about 55 clearances.

An obvious culprit of this is Daicos who got 32 touches (and 16 clearances) but had 35 total possessions. My guess is that there was probably a half-dozen times he got first hands at the stoppage, but that directly led to a Dogs clearance, which is rare.
It’s also pretty rare to be tagged by the Bont.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back