Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Also for his perceived lack of impact, I’d be keeping JJ forward because he is a good set shot, we need as many of those guys as we have heading into finals.
More importantly, I reckon he is our best kick going inside 50. If he has ball in hand 70 from goal he always finds a target. Macrea would be the only other player even in the discussion.

I don't believe disposals are broken down to kick-in/non kick-in... at least not anywhere publicly.

As 3np said, there is a difference between possessions and disposals. He didn't win a possession to have the disposal from the kick in, so they aren't counted as possessions.
You couldn't infer that exactly because there are other ways to gain a disposal without a possession. But you could assume knowing that Dale takes most of the kick ins and GC scored 13 behinds that likely a majority of those 10 disposals came from kick ins.

Disposal - Legally getting rid of the ball, via a handball or kick.
Possessions are just the combination of contested and uncontested possessions, each of which can came about in various and defined ways.

Kick in data is publically available if you dig deep enough into the AFL API and here is Dale's breakdown from yesterday.

30 Disposals

10 general play kicks
9 kick-in play on
1 out on the full kick-in
10 handballs

20 Possessions
11 handball receives
5 uncontested marks
4 loose ball gets

It's an interesting topic for debate. There are a wide range of views! I think on the internet people have a tendency to polarise in these kinds of debates - as they argue both sides become more extreme in the way they express their position (not that I'm accusing anyone of that so far). But to that end, I have to acknowledge that there were at least 3 or 4 times that Bont broke through attempted tackles or congestion and dished it off to a Dogs player's distinct advantage. I'm certainly not suggesting he had a BAD game.

But personally, I put a lot of weight on efficient disposal. I think Bont's classic 25 possession games with 4 or 5 laser-focussed kicks over 50m directly to a target in the 50, and 1 or 2 contested marks in the 50 are what make him the best player in the league. Whereas this game he was more of a bullocking type player - very impressive in terms of effort, and undoubtedly impactful on the game, but not as high as his usual standard in my view. And he sprayed the ball a lot. A number of his "burst through the congestion" type plays led to him then bombing the ball directly to GC defenders. And I don't think i've seen him completely miss that many handpasses for ages. It was very unBont-like for his open handpasses to be that untidy - usually he's nailing them even when the player he's passing to is behind him.

Whereas by contrast, I thought Macrae hit some particularly good passes yesterday and Keath was a man mountain. I guess your judgement of Bont's performance will vary according to what you value more between the winning of possession or precise ball movement.
Acknowledge that - but he had 36 touches - unusually high for Bont - no doubt more clangers, more errors
But these weren't cheap stats like say Hawthorns Mitchell. These were hard won in congestion always under pressure stats - and as we both acknowledge 3-4 were breathtaking. His centre square work was the best I have ever seen from him
Agree - it was great to see MaCrae back to his best and scoring 2 goals is a first for him

There is no right or wrong here - I am normally not as impressed with Bont's games as I was yesterday
Just because he was repeatedly doing stuff few players can - and stuff no one else can.

Just regarding the kick ins, maybe it is the long time Dogs supporter resulting pessimism in me but does anyone else share my feeling that we are the least effective side in clearing the defensive 50 from kick ins? I swear we get bottled up every time while the other team just waltzes it out with no pressure. How we are second baffles me 😊

Kick in data is publically available if you dig deep enough into the AFL API and here is Dale's breakdown from yesterday.

30 Disposals
10 general play kicks
9 kick-in play on
1 out on the full kick-in
10 handballs

20 Possessions
11 handball receives
5 uncontested marks
4 loose ball gets
Good to know

Just want to give some kudos to Touk Miller... He kept them in the game, wouldn't call him elite but geez he has a go! Couldn't understand why didn't tag him at some stage!

Very evident to me last 2 weeks was how many times we got out marked all over the ground.

This week was 14 to 5 contested marks
Last week v swans was 20 to 8 contested marks.

Something we really need to fix before finals as we all know when it tightens up in finals, often there is no choice but to go long down the line to a contest.

Just want to give some kudos to Touk Miller... He kept them in the game, wouldn't call him elite but geez he has a go! Couldn't understand why didn't tag him at some stage!
He was absolutely sensational. Deserved the 3 votes I thought. We should have at least tried to shut him down late, he almost won them the game

Very evident to me last 2 weeks was how many times we got out marked all over the ground.

Something we really need to fix before finals as we all know when it tightens up in finals, often there is no choice but to go long down the line to a contest.

the first 8 weeks or so saw a very direct & fast paced gameplan backed by a solid backline. Somewhere after round 10 that went to s**t and we’ve been floundering since. While they’ve been winning games the fwd & backline holes stand out like the dogs proverbials. Genuinely concerned that on current trajectory they’ll fall apart in the finals

What do you suggest to fix it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked back at our past 6-7 games and we only won the contested marks in 1 game and had less marks in all but 2

That's where Stef coming back in makes all the difference.

English has rucked gallantly and is actually winning a fair chunk of the ball in general play, but he's an influence ahead of the ball when 2nd ruck, and when he's 2nd ruck, can push back in contests, and can generally be a better pack player than the opponent's 2nd ruck.

Gold Coast are flying at the moment and would have beaten just about anyone. Good teams win ugly and we do that now.
Marra’s performance was stunning.
Weightman is a revolution in our forward line.
Dunkley got his first game back out of the way.
Bont is quite simply the best player in the comp.

Last edited:
I looked back at our past 6-7 games and we only won the contested marks in 1 game and had less marks in all but 2

It's been the way for the whole year, although maybe not as bad. In the first 10 rounds when we were at our best we had more marks in 3 games, had more contested marks in 4. I remember mentioning the differential being our main weakness at that point.

It's been the way for the whole year, although maybe not as bad. In the first 10 rounds when we were at our best we had more marks in 3 games, had more contested marks in 4. I remember mentioning the differential being our main weakness at that point.
Overall marks probably just reflects game style, with chip and mark teams racking up cheap numbers. Contested marks are an issue admittedly.

Curiously, we have taken 248 marks inside 50 this year, clearly the top ranked team. The other teams in the top 4 in the stat are Brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong.

Yes. It’s a problem.

The inclusion of Martin and Wood, while English plays forward, should make a positive difference. And Naughton returning to form post concussion of course will improve us.

We need to improve in this area all over the ground.

Credit to the Match Committee for sticking with JUH.

They could have justifiably dropped him and he might have languished in the seconds for the rest of the year after an average game and no goals and the monkey still on the back.

Instead, they showed faith and the team and us were rewarded. We should probably keep our expectations in check, but it’s hard not to get excited about what JUH might deliver for the rest of the season.

A real sliding door moment. What are the chances of Damo and the media acknowledging Bevo’s handling of JUH this year? Looks like a masterstroke right now.
I have said this before and will say it again

Who would have thought a coach who broke a long-standing Premiership hoodoo In his 2nd year would know more than the media and BF!

Not sure if this has already been mentioned but we've now been to Perth twice, Adelaide, Canberra and the Gold Coast for a 5-0 record on the road.

Other than yesterday, all of the wins have been by over 3 goals and against decent opponents (Power, Eagles, Freo, GWS).
But but but Cordy etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back