Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I was considering the positives and thought that just maybe we played Gold Coast into form a bit and gave them some confidence that they can beat teams at the top of the ladder as they go into their game with Melbourne. Now I'm hearing that they might change the schedule and that's the end of my trying to think positive. :(

Haven’t most of them been poor?

Backline apart from Keath have been sh*te

And yet we are third on least amount of points conceded. Our defence is very serviceable.

Equalisation measures in the AFL do not allow you to have stars on every line. It’s just not possible.

But don’t let that stop you beating up on the defenders!

Haven’t most of them been poor?

Backline apart from Keath have been sh*te
Yeah mostly except Duryea and I thought Dale was pretty good this week.

But at least the rest have used the ball okay. Richards has either been nowhere near it and a merchant who's almost killed several teammates with handballs. Worried for him to be honest.

But at least the rest have used the ball okay. Richards has either been nowhere near it and a merchant who's almost killed several teammates with handballs. Worried for him to be honest.

Dales 2nd half was ok. He was invisible the first half.

He's about where Williams was two years ago and Dale a year ago. Well-rounded and talented but struggling for consistency and impact.

Both of those have turned out well so fingers crossed it happens for Richards in 2022 if not this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches had Dale in their best

Yeah well there wasn’t much to pick from.

Backline was garbage and you can’t rate any backline player purely for offence. I legitimately didn’t know Dale was playing until just before half time and several others have said the same BUT again that wasn’t just him. Dale, Croz, Duryea, Williams, Richards and Rourke were all poor imo

Our backline seems to have lost the ability to consistently break even on the 1v1’s. Has been really noticeable right across the park in the last fortnight.
Not sure whether it’s a system thing putting us on the back foot a bit but geez it seems other teams have our marked us in the co test pretty regularly.

Our backline seems to have lost the ability to consistently break even on the 1v1’s. Has been really noticeable right across the park in the last fortnight.
Not sure whether it’s a system thing putting us on the back foot a bit but geez it seems other teams have our marked us in the co test pretty regularly.

Agree with this. There seems to be a lack of confidence, that has led to players not going for intercept marks and relying on spoiling too often. 3 of the Suns goals in the 1st quarter were the result of a poorly timed spoil. 2 of them should have been marked and the last one was a terrible judgement call, that led to a joe the goose out the back. Williams has been serviceable, but he is not back to the form he showed last year and early this year (before his shoulder). I never thought I would say this, though Gardner is critical if we are to progress in September.

He's about where Williams was two years ago and Dale a year ago. Well-rounded and talented but struggling for consistency and impact.

Both of those have turned out well so fingers crossed it happens for Richards in 2022 if not this year.
Genuinely don't even see the talent anymore. He's strong but loses too many one on ones. Will miss easy targets by foot under very little pressure, doesn't back himself on runs and shits himself under any physical pressure.
At the very least Dale always looked skillful and Williams had shown far more.
At this point Richards has had a good first year and a whole bunch of nothing after apart from a game under VFL pressure against the Eagles. I hope he can turn it around.

Is our backline missing Gardner more than we think?

The last 6 weeks our backline has conceded 9, 12, 6, 11, 11 and 11 goals.

We are the only team not to concede 15 or more goals in any game this year.

Things can always be improved, but we are hardly in the crisis some posts would suggest.
“Yeah but it relies on midfield domination” yes well lucky (when fit) we have the best and deepest midfield by an absolute mile (tell me one other team that wouldn’t have dropped right off if they lost 2 genuine A graders from their starting midfield for 12 weeks)

Yes it relies on midfied dominance but that’s our system, and it obviously works!!

“Yeah but it relies on midfield domination” yes well lucky (when fit) we have the best and deepest midfield by an absolute mile (tell me one other team that wouldn’t have dropped right off if they lost 2 genuine A graders from their starting midfield for 12 weeks)

Yes it relies on midfied dominance but that’s our system, and it obviously works!!
Our midfield has been far from dominant in a few of those games.

Our midfield has been far from dominant in a few of those games.
Yeah very true. It’s funny that our defence is seen as our one big weakness holding us back from winning the flag. Yet we’ve got the best midfield in the comp, we’re putting together a seriously potent forward line with all sorts of attacking options and plenty of defensive pressure, and we play an extremely attacking defensive set up with how high we press. Yet we’ve literally conceded the lowest, or very close to it, score in the league.

They’re doing a brilliant job back there

Is our backline missing Gardner more than we think?
Honestly, I think he makes no difference. Not much separates young, Cordy and Gardener. The more he does not play the more you forget he is a similar level as the other 2. With Martin looking very doubtful for the rest of the season I would look at Young to come in as the second ruckman and to play on the resting ruckman i.e Jackson, Ratugolea etc. If Khamis has improved his tank i would prefer him to Cordy due to his closing speed and leap. Not sure if he can play 4 quarters so if he can’t it is not and option

Remove this Banner Ad

Back