Autopsy Dogs def Norf 107-106

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't mean any disrespect, you guys just had to get it done tonight. You certainly aren't great at making it easy for supporters though ;)
Top stuff to loyal dees fans who are getting just reward. :)Unlike sh*tstain Norf fans. :p

Honeychurch and Maclean showed a lot tonight. Maclean is a genuine midfielder now. Honey's goal kicking was poor, but he set up 3 goals and was everywhere in the first half.

The team collectively butchered the ball about as badly as I've seen in years. If we can get the confidence and efficacy in our kicking back we can improve a lot on tonight.

Webb in for Dickson for mine.

It is the last game we lost that Lin Jong has missed.

14 games since then he hasn't played in and we are undefeated !!!!
Close but no cigar. He didn't play in R23, 2015 vs. Brisbane and we lost by 8 points :(

But we were 10-0 last year without him so that's 11 straight wins without him :oops:

Close but no cigar. He didn't play in R23, 2015 vs. Brisbane and we lost by 8 points :(

But we were 10-0 last year without him so that's 11 straight wins without him :oops:

Oops missed that one

14-1 still not great

Good performances tonight from:
  • Campbell - there's hope yet.
  • Honeychurch - well, only one excellent quarter but he showed he can make an impact. Got to build on that now. I know he'll be canned for missing an easy shot again but he got 3 goal assists - the most for any WB player. Do that every week and it'll be hard to drop him.
  • Bontempelli - welcome return to form after a month of below par showings (for him), his 6 centre clearances was a great effort.
  • Stringer - did some nice things around the ground and through the middle. The run, direct play and kicking of Bont and Stringer was a big difference in our game this week.
  • Picken - more like his old self
  • Dale - still has a way to go, but he's only 20 and starting to look like he belongs at this level
  • McLean - much better than last week, and had 13 CPs
Happy that we have re-jigged our clearance and centre bounce game. Campbell and Bont spent lots of time there and Stringer a bit too. We looked so much better with more run through the pack and direct kicking inside 50.

Still a worry:
  • Dickson - couldn't get near it
  • Stringer's set shots
  • Suckling's turnovers and lack of physicality on the ball - commentators kept saying he's had lots of kicks but they forget his teammates feed him lots of possession so we can exploit his kicking skills. He only had 4 CPs and zero tackles all night. That's not good enough.
  • JJ, Daniel and Wallis were all down on form tonight. The last two I can excuse as they've been good in recent weeks but the JJ form is increasingly worrying. We look a different outfit when he is in form. Maybe the return of Murphy and Williams will take some of the pressure off him.
  • Libba - after a great game last week he was well down this week.
Our evenness of performance from 2016 is still not there. That evenness meant that even our 20th-22nd best players on the day were still making good contributions. Too often this year we have had good players go missing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win our next 2 I'll admit there might be something to this.

Thoughts on BTC's game today?

Probably best he has ever played But that's not ssin much Coz most of them have been stinkers.

Still can't see how he fits in a contending footy team but he was good tonight

Probably best he has ever played But that's not ssin much Coz most of them have been stinkers.

Still can't see how he fits in a contending footy team but he was good tonight

He dominated a very good ruckman tonight but I'd be interested to see how he goes against a quicker team. Will probably get found out again for being too slow.

I think North probably can feel a little bit aggrieved. They were rather undisciplined, but they were on the wrong end of a bunch of 50-50 calls. Still, it feeds their victim complex so that's fun.

Quite happy with the game. Noticeable shift in how we moved the ball forward, could see traces of the handballing game in the early stages but we overcame and were more punishing on the counter in the second and third. Left us fragile at times but when you have Dale Morris and Easton Wood, you can roll the dice like that. Bevo's an incredible coach and I'm really proud of how our players were able to pull it off within six days of such an insipid, demoralising loss.

As I said, Moz and Woody. Incredible.

Haven't seen any heat maps or possession splits but feel like we saw more of 2016 wingman Hunter than 2017 half back Hunter. Bailey Dale was brilliant on a wing too, he's super important to us as we transition to more of a kicking game.

More Bont in the center tonight, which was good. Has way too much class for his frame, I don't ever take it for granted that he's our prime mover in a midfield comprising Dahlhaus, Wallis, Liberatore etc - especially when the opposition are running with Cunnington, Ziebell and Dumont at a center bounce.

It is the last game we lost that Lin Jong has missed.

14 games since then he hasn't played in and we are undefeated !!!!
God, you never stop, do you?

A game that we win by 1 point that Lin Jong didn't play (you know, after tearing an ACL after playing every single game this year), creates an infinite amount of discussion points that don't involve Lin Jong, yet you still make it about Lin Jong. Amazing.

How fantastic was it to see prime meat midfield Bontempelli in full operation today? He was clearly playing too much resting forward. Has not had more than 12 kicks in a match since round 4, our previous game against North - 8 games in a row where he hasn't had 12 kicks - and now he blasts out his first 20+ kick performance of his career. North stuffed up tactically by not tagging/having a match up for him - perhaps they expected him to play half of his match deep forward like he has been for most of this season, but one way or another, they were unprepared, didn't make the necessary adjustments mid-game and that's clearly one reason why they lost. Bontempelli might have had the worst fortnight of form since his debut season these last two weeks, but the best players don't stay out of form for too long.

God, you never stop, do you?

A game that we win by 1 point that Lin Jong didn't play (you know, after tearing an ACL after playing every single game this year), creates an infinite amount of discussion points that don't involve Lin Jong, yet you still make it about Lin Jong. Amazing.

Sorry I think 11 games in a row won without a player is significant

Funny how no one sooked about the Matty Boyd stat of wins on a row under Bev.

Perhaps go search for a CD stats that can describe your annoyance and then write a half page post full of fluff that will put everyone to sleep :)

Good performances tonight from:
  • Campbell - there's hope yet.
  • Honeychurch - well, only one excellent quarter but he showed he can make an impact. Got to build on that now. I know he'll be canned for missing an easy shot again but he got 3 goal assists - the most for any WB player. Do that every week and it'll be hard to drop him.
  • Bontempelli - welcome return to form after a month of below par showings (for him), his 6 centre clearances was a great effort.
  • Stringer - did some nice things around the ground and through the middle. The run, direct play and kicking of Bont and Stringer was a big difference in our game this week.
  • Picken - more like his old self
  • Dale - still has a way to go, but he's only 20 and starting to look like he belongs at this level
  • McLean - much better than last week, and had 13 CPs
Happy that we have re-jigged our clearance and centre bounce game. Campbell and Bont spent lots of time there and Stringer a bit too. We looked so much better with more run through the pack and direct kicking inside 50.

Still a worry:
  • Dickson - couldn't get near it
  • Stringer's set shots
  • Suckling's turnovers and lack of physicality on the ball - commentators kept saying he's had lots of kicks but they forget his teammates feed him lots of possession so we can exploit his kicking skills. He only had 4 CPs and zero tackles all night. That's not good enough.
  • JJ, Daniel and Wallis were all down on form tonight. The last two I can excuse as they've been good in recent weeks but the JJ form is increasingly worrying. We look a different outfit when he is in form. Maybe the return of Murphy and Williams will take some of the pressure off him.
  • Libba - after a great game last week he was well down this week.
Our evenness of performance from 2016 is still not there. That evenness meant that even our 20th-22nd best players on the day were still making good contributions. Too often this year we have had good players go missing.

JJ was significantly better tonight than he has been. Still wasn't a great game but at least he ran and got hands on the ball.

Compared to the last few games he was very good

There is a very good reason that we tend to be on the right side of the free kick stats, and that is because we are the fairest team in the comp by a fair margin.
We are also a 'small' team, which is one of the reasons that we play fair. In a test of strength we probably lose against most other teams, so we do our best to avoid it and play to our strengths.

Our opponents on the other hand try to use their physical size advantage, and often break the rules when doing so. They risk giving away a few extra frees to stifle us and try to play the game on their terms. Often they benefit from umpires being too mindful of the amount of free kicks paid.

Perhaps supporters and commentators should take a little more note of the number of infringements that aren't penalised.

I do think this is largely true. When it was first pointed out we were up 14 to 2 free kicks, I started looking out for even-uppers for North (I so hate listening to opposition supporters whinging about frees, i actively cheer for even-uppers that aren't in their attacking 50). For the next quarter or so i was carefully looking for extra frees that North could win, and there were just none. Not even close to frees. As has been noted many times, we sometimes are extremely borderline with our disposal. But our tackling and defending is extremely fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back