Cloke having a presence
Murphy back

Negatives
Biggs well beaten
Suckling not playing enough defensive footy
Dahl getting a few knocks
Killed at the clearances

Last edited:

Love love LOVED what Cloke and Crameri brought to our structure. We're going to piss in David King's stupid quadrant this year.

Heart-in-mouth watching our defenders under a high ball but our work in the phone box in defensive 50 was bloody incredible.

Even spread of talent and exertion where it was needed, while the opposition worked their arses off. We're usually on the other side of that equation.

That was easy. We blew them away early, they clawed back by working their plan A (win clearances and get some chaos goals) then we blew them away again in about 6 minutes.

Digging the talent we've got forward this year. They had the edge with Pendles, Treloar, Sidey and Adams and a more mature ruck structure but we were so efficient it didn't really matter.

Same team, good at whipping the ball into space quickly, we get lots of smothers snd deflections and with some help we defend fine. And versatile as f***

We'll need to be better against real teams but I'll take that round 1

Well done ..........on paper we look like winners but class is the difference. In a universe where we can hit a target by hand or foot and our backline doesn't leak like a sieve we might do some damage this year :rolleyes:

If we have to lose to someone , happy for it to be the Dogs. Now that we have that out the way , I hope Clokey does well too.

Peace out.

Definitely not one for the archives. We were rusty but somehow find a way. Some observations...

Their top four mids all got 30+. Not a great sign.

Different game style tonight. Did not have the big forward line lockdown, instead relying on a lot of fastbreak goals. I reckon it was those cheapies that won us the game. Pies would not have expected that. Another tick for Bev.

Murph - showed some glimpses and third qtr great. Will only get better and will peak come finals if we get there.

Libba got angry in the third and set the tone.

Picko - quiet achiever

LittleMan - probably the best four qtr effort

Roberts - growing in stature

From the gameday thread I took that few really understand football, and judge on stats.
Set up completely differently from last year, midfield wasn't used as a complete battering ram, and when it needed to ne turned on, they turned it on.
Rusty in skills etc, but of course that brings out the "they are s**t" statements with any error regarding a player not liked.
Round 1, rusty, experimenting and did what was needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done ..........on paper we look like winners but class is the difference. In a universe where we can hit a target by hand or foot and our backline doesn't leak like a sieve we might do some damage this year :rolleyes:

If we have to lose to someone , happy for it to be the Dogs. Now that we have that out the way , I hope Clokey does well too.

Peace out.
Please thrash St Kilda, Essendon & Richmond for us.
:D

Collingwood always seem to run close games with us. Been a long time since we've put them away in a game

Pretty disappointed with Stringers two set shots late that could've seal it, really hoped a new year would help improve his form from last year but alas, also Cloke missed one aswell but we always knew he was gonna miss those routine shots and roost them from outside 50

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

It was like opposite day. Smashed in clearances and contested footy but were able to manufacture a bunch of cheapies out the back.

Backline was awesome. Fletch continues to impress. Wood and Morris rock solid as usual.

And it was great to see Murph pull out a few shake and bakes. His pass to McLean was all class, if we can get him free on the half forward line a la 2005 - 2006 he will create a whole lot more goals for us.

Content. Just need wins early in the year. This was definitely one of them.

Who went to Mayne after 3qrt time, he wasn't getting anywhere near the leather he did in the 3rd qtr

Pretty disappointed with Stringers two set shots late that could've seal it, really hoped a new year would help improve his form from last year but alas, also Cloke missed one aswell but we always knew he was gonna miss those routine shots and roost them from outside 50

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

At least he ran out the game well. One positive at least.

More important now than ever that teams pick 2 rucks. I know Bev had no other option but I hate seeing the same bloke forced to ruck the whole game.

Can't wait to see Campbell back to really help out Boyd and keep Boyd far fresher.

Definitely missed Roughy.

Still, exactly as others have said, for a team with 6 weeks less in the tank it was a composed effort when it needed to be. Good signs.

Happy.

I thought our defensive talls - Roberts & Cordy - did well.
Roberts knows his limitations and plays well within them. No star, but a role player who executed well tonight. Tough to see Adams getting a gig in the near future.

McLean was quiet but what he did it was classy. I'd like to see us persist with him, will be a gun. Super smart player.
Jong is frustrating. He's almost there but just doesn't seem to take that final step. I suspect if we take a gun mid with our first round pick at the draft this year that could spell the beginning of the end for him.

Overall we looked very rusty, need continuity so will take a while to really hit our stride. Be very tempted to bring Dunkley in next week as his inside grunt would have stopped Collingwood's mids flogging us senseless in the 2nd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back