Autopsy Dogs def Pies- rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots to be happy about. A few:
  • Collingwood put in a final like performance and we found a way to win even while being comprehensively beaten in the midfield.
  • Murphy was class. Great to see that he still has it.
  • Cloke looked a good fit. Although, I will reserve my judgement on this once we gave another ruck in the side.
  • Our defence held up against Moore. Really impressed.
  • After the match, the players just looked clinical as if to say let's put that in the bank and move on.

It's not, but we're probably all guilty of it at times.

I defy anyone bar a Saints fan watching the 09 prelim to say the umpiring did not heavily influence the outcome.

Lots to be happy about. A few:
  • Collingwood put in a final like performance and we found a way to win even while being comprehensively beaten in the midfield.
  • Murphy was class. Great to see that he still has it.
  • Cloke looked a good fit. Although, I will reserve my judgement on this once we gave another ruck in the side.
  • Our defence held up against Moore. Really impressed.
  • After the match, the players just looked clinical as if to say let's put that in the bank and move on.

Murphy and JJ rotating fwd will give the opposition nightmares. Always loved Murph fwd.

The mid situation will resolve with Campbell/Rough and the inclusion of another competent inside mid or two.

Bottom line is we wernt good enough to win.

Yep doesn't change the fact that the the umps influenced the result. At that game on centre wing with two non dog supporting mates - they were going berserk at the umps. They couldn't believe I was so calm - I just felt sick - another prelim.

But you are correct - we had our chances.

Murphy and JJ rotating fwd will give the opposition nightmares. Always loved Murph fwd.

The mid situation will resolve with Campbell/Rough and the inclusion of another competent inside mid or two.

We need to re-sign JJ ASAP. If he continues this form, he will be top 10 in AFL by end of year.

Was glad to see plenty of the boys out there pre-warmup taking set shots. It paid off big time with accuracy in front of goal a big part of the win. Not used to seeing us with more goals than behinds.

Football fans are outraged about the umpiring so long as it suits their agenda.

We were unhappy about the 2009 prelim and say it cost us but we have been dismissive of Sydney saying they were hard done by in the Grand Final.

That ****stick Plugger35 complains about the umpiring in literally every single game yet shifts the goal posts whenever St Kilda have favorable umpiring.

Norf were squealing that that non holding the ball decision in their final against Richmond didn't affect the result but then 2 weeks later were squelking that they were robbed against West Coast.

It's the same for every club in the league and not just in this sport.

Bottom line is we wernt good enough to win.
Nah don't agree. There was only a couple of goals in it so two or three decisions going our way and we could have won. Not being sucked in by Captain Collapse to start with

Impressed with Fletch, honestly I though he'd never be up to it but he looks to have grown in confidence since the granny.

Many will disagree but I though Jong put in a reasonable effort tonight and was good with the tackling pressure
He did what he had to do and took a really good mark. he needs a bit more self confidence. suckers was really good I thought and crameri improved as the game went on.

We won and Voldemort stunk it up(oh but he had lots of tackles), f$ck all disposals for a majority mid but hey let's not worry about that Coz disposals aren't important for a mid.

Perfect night now onto next week v the swans with Clay in and the flag unfurled.
ha, ha, you are funny!!!

Liked: Defensive structure. we still cover space so well and cut off options that looked wide open. Roberts continues to surprise, come a long way from this time last year
Murph up forward
JJ burning off everyone on the ground
Stringers chasing

Disliked: Midfield setup at stoppages
Biggs game in general
A few times having a shot from 40m with an open man running to the square(we kicked them both times but it was still a poor option)
Boyds hands

Loved: Dual helmets
Dale Morris' game
The roar after the Cloke goal

Hated: Having Bont for most goals and Hunter somehow weaseling his way into getting that free kick after the Bont/Crameri tackle
Dual helmets. I though that Caleb had grown by about 12 inches. I was so happpyyyy!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else think 66000 isn't a great crowd?

Round 1 v pies on a perfect night
I actually expected more people given the number of pie supporters. thought there may have been more bulldog supporters. nevertheless, it was a great night of footy and loved the fact that Collingwood lost. if they lose a couple more, Buckley is in big trouble.

There are some people on this board who have no idea in terms of who played well and who didn't.

As a team we played the 1st and 3rd quarters.

4 points.u

Move along. Nothing to see here.
Just the fist and third quarter were good. second and last were poor, but I feel the boys got the job done in each of those and did not work as hard as they knew the game was under control. good win with not much effort, given it was the first game. we will be really good by round 4 or 5. Cloke and crameri will be much better for the experience.

Watched it late last night, it's good to win when you weren't always at your best.
Collingwood did well but didn't capitalise. We kept our heads above water and pushed when we needed.
A kind of win I'm not used to seeing from the dogs.
Loved it

Disliked:
  • Biggs errors costing turnovers
  • The lady in Section 51 - Hey lady, how about you replace Bev if you're that good? Also leave Fetcher alone! Also appreciate Tom Boyd as he just won us a ******* flag, stop bagging him out.
  • Don't mind the supporter commentary, but take a breath before you say something so ******* stupid
  • My man (Morris) getting injured
  • Jong - Don't mind the bloke but oh boy wow wee, Clay or Dunkley would've performed 10x better
  • Getting smashed in the ruck contest
  • Losing the midfield battle
  • Suckling not showing his potential like he did in the JLT series
Liked:
  • Murphy working his way into the game
  • Bont showing good signs despite a delayed pre-season
  • Murph & JJ up forward - Will cause headaches for opposition
  • Moyd playing more centre and kicking a goal
  • Cloke saying F U to Collingwood
  • Crammers getting back to the swing of things later on in the game
  • Stringer coming back to usual form however wasn't as damaging as he can be (1st game back, don't expect heaps)
  • Grinding out the win despite having a rough game IMO
  • Saying F U to all the doubters about a premiership hangover
  • I'm so ******* smashed right now

This is what I don't get about assessing Cloke's role.

With three ruckman injured and Redpath still off his ACL he fulfilled a role as a key target forward

With those 4 avaliable for selection later in the year he might not get a game. But he was good depth on a cheap contract and effectively a nil trade so you got to be happy with that.

Last thing we need is like the first game against North last year where we didn't have a forward target despite good rebound off half back Luke Hunter getting almost 50 touches that game. Cloke ensured that our forward structure was solid and was critical in his score involvements.

If you understand his role to be a backup key forward as Boyd has to ruck and Redpath is injured and don't put ex-All-Australian expectations on him you'll be surprised at how happy with his performance you'll be.

Last edited:
Football fans are outraged about the umpiring so long as it suits their agenda.

We were unhappy about the 2009 prelim and say it cost us but we have been dismissive of Sydney saying they were hard done by in the Grand Final.

That ****stick Plugger35 complains about the umpiring in literally every single game yet shifts the goal posts whenever St Kilda have favorable umpiring.

Norf were squealing that that non holding the ball decision in their final against Richmond didn't affect the result but then 2 weeks later were squelking that they were robbed against West Coast.

It's the same for every club in the league and not just in this sport.
It's swings and roundabouts. We probably had a marginal umpiring advantage in the GF but nowhere near enough to influence the final result. Saints prelim was enough to influence the result. Eagleton's goal that was touched on the line, three feet behind the line. Riewoldt's touched soccer. Lake's bump. Aka's deliberate out of bounds that wasn't an OOB under the less strict rules back then. The fact I can render this 7 and a half years on despite vowing never to watch a replay until we won a flag (and not having watched one over the summer, I probably should...) speaks for itself.

Given our ruck situation I'm glad we didn't play Melbourne in Rnd 1 and won't until Round 13. Gives us time to heal and play into form injured ruckman or refine and develop unconventional counters if necessary. Dees look particularly threatening this year and one of the clashes I'm most looking forward to.

Meh. Just confirms the blind spot to defenders, especially KPFs. Cordy gets a 3 (maybe legit), Roberts gets a 4, Morris a 5, Reid gets a 4. They spend more words talking about Morris' injuries than his game. Roberts and Morris were among our best players.
Terrible ratings. Murphy a 5? While Biggs a 6 and Suckling a 7?. Was clearly better than those 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back