Autopsy Dogs def Pies- rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunkley or Smirh has to come in for Jong, just wasn't up to it.

I don't get the hate on T. Boyd. Thought he was valiant in trying circumstances. Can't blame him for having Trump hands!
Boyd rucked manfully. Seriously how can he be expected to have 15 touches around the ground, when he's rucking 90% of the game. He's not a 25 year old Dean Cox!

Boyd rucked manfully. Seriously how can he be expected to have 15 touches around the ground, when he's rucking 90% of the game. He's not a 25 year old Dean Cox!
Yeah he continues to get a bad wrap. I thought perhaps that might be in the past but alas no. Still a very young tall, he's now carrying the ruck full time. People expect to much from him. We'd all like to see him mark the ball like he did in the GF, but that consistency will come. He was solid last night. Our mids in general were beaten.

Overall a win is a win.

Thought the pies mids dominated and with Daniel down, Jong not actually getting the ball in the midfield and the rest of our midfielders in and out for tonight there is definite room for improvement.

All in all a bit rusty but looking forward to our flag unfurling next week with a w next to our name

Maybe I didn't focus enough on him then.

He didn't have a great game, but he didn't get first hands that often largely because of Grundy's dominance and he mitigated the fact he didn't win much of the ball with his tackling - would you have preferred 18 touches and 4 tackles instead of 11 and 12? It was very similar to Libba "only" winning 16 touches with Libba obviously being the better player.

Take a look at Jong's heat map. Bright red in the middle of the ground.

The more I think about tonight the more I get excited. Beveridge just could not give two ****s about anything. We just win a premiership based on contested beastage, insane pressure and inevitably dominating the territory game.

Within one week of the next season he's chucked that all in the bin and we have a whole new style and plan for winning. We've got some more skill back in the team and he wants to use it, so stuff the premiership gameplan we don't need it anymore. Instead we play a high skill turnover slingshot gamestyle, which is high risk but brutally efficient and entertaining when we get it right.

We are gonna be a hell of a lot of fun to watch this year, we're in for another wild ride.

I don't think that's how Beveridge wants the team to play, the team will definitely be more free flowing as it was early last year but last night they were just poor on the inside and he said that in his press conference.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disposals- (- 39)
Kicks- (- 18)
Handballs- (- 21)
Free Kicks- (- 1)
Clearances- (- 18)
Inside 50's- (- 18)
Contested Possession- (- 26)
Tackles- (+ 20) Yeah ! Libba & Jong 14 each !
Hit Outs- (- 25)

Yojimbo Percentiles.
Dogs- 34.09 % & 56.81 %
Coll- 19.35 % & 41.93 %

Lesson over, bank the points and stop talking.

Disposals- (- 39)
Kicks- (- 18)
Handballs- (- 21)
Free Kicks- (- 1)
Clearances- (- 18)
Inside 50's- (- 18)
Contested Possession- (- 26)
Tackles- (+ 20) Yeah ! Libba & Jong 14 each !
Hit Outs- (- 25)

Yojimbo Percentiles.
Dogs- 34.09 % & 56.81 %
Coll- 19.35 % & 41.93 %

Lesson over, bank the points and stop talking.

The only lesson that shows is that with some of our players stats don't mean s**t!

Haha you do love a good stat sheet though don't you mate. Felt like the difference between the teams was how clean the entries were into fwd 50.

Dunkley or Smirh has to come in for Jong, just wasn't up to it.

I don't get the hate on T. Boyd. Thought he was valiant in trying circumstances. Can't blame him for having Trump hands!

I don' think any one on here has any hate for Boyd. quite the opposite in fact but for a former No. 1 draft pick and reportedly U18 contested marking exponent comments that his ability to hold marks is poor are justified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As reigning premiers I think this was a very important win. If we lost last night and then drop next weeks game against Sydney then the Fremantle game would have been like a gorilla on our backs. As it is this pressure has now been released and we can look back and assess what we need to work on.

Positives:
The win
Bob - sublime return
Moz - just did what Moz does
Picko - just did what Picko does
JJ - I like him (and Bob) pinch hitting forward.
Fletch - can see him growing with confidence. Liked seeing him peel off his man to assist his fellow backmen
Clokey - did what I wanted. Field kicking was a bit hit and miss but presented when required. Will be better when not required to pinch hit in the ruck
Hunter - good to see him getting more dangerous in the forward 50
Macrae/Bont - just some sublime handballs. Magnificent to watch

Negatives
Biggs - what was up with his decision making & disposal, especially early in the game. Hopefully that game blew off the cobwebs.
CD - his normally assured decision making in tight spots seemed off tonight resulting in some poor turnovers
Toyd - still dropping marks he should take. To me he seems to overthink the game

Other thoughts
-Collingwood seems to have watched lots of video of us over the preseason. Their players without the ball were very good at keeping their hands low and active in the packs resulting in many deflections, knock ons etc. This is what we do so well
-Jong ok defensive game as a midfielder but does not offer enough when we have the ball. Really just depth.
-Zordy an assorted licorice effort. Some good, some bad. Moore had little impact on the game so that is a tick but I do not feel confident when he has the ball in hands and was outbodied on occasions. We missed Hamling's athleticism in the back half.
- Stringer is at his best when he plays on instinct. Still seems to be caught in 2 minds ATM, and cannot work out when is best to go for goal and when to share the ball around.

I've been a macrae critic in the past but I worked out how important he is and he was excellent tonight again.

Jong has to be under the gun, he spent a big chunk of time in the middle when we got smashed.

Stringer is such a peculiar player, like he can just go completely missing and then dominate a ten min stretch. His defensive efforts are obviously better this year but I'm still worried when he goes to middle his direct opponent can get off the chain.
Stringer played long patches in the Middle and had 2 touches whilst there. He simply should never be in the center square bounces unless we have a winning ruck. He has no inside game and the pies were awesome in the square tonight and ball up around the ground.

If he needs a run in the Middle the wing is the go. We need guys around stoppages with an inside commitment.

I've been a consistent defender of Jong because of his athletic attributes he needed to be given time.

But his running out of time.

There is something fundamentally wrong with his attack on the ball. I can't put my finger on it - I think he hesitates in the clinches and needs to become more instinctual. Is he over thinking it?

Where libber and Dalh see ball get ball - Jong sees ball and thinks before he decides which way to get it. Is it fixable?

Where he came from His decision making has improved enormously. But where in the vfl he is very instinctive in the AFLLive he hesitates and he will live or die in whether he can fix it

I guess the most pleasing thing with our game was the ball use and efficiency going inside 50 with lower volume numbers.

That was still an area of concern last year, so if we can combine that once we win the midfield battle, boy our attacking game will be scary.

I've been a consistent defender of Jong because of his athletic attributes he needed to be given time.

But his running out of time.

There is something fundamentally wrong with his attack on the ball. I can't put my finger on it - I think he hesitates in the clinches and needs to become more instinctual. Is he over thinking it?

Where libber and Dalh see ball get ball - Jong sees ball and thinks before he decides which way to get it. Is it fixable?

Where he came from His decision making has improved enormously. But where in the vfl he is very instinctive in the AFLLive he hesitates and he will live or die in whether he can fix it
yes I agree but it was not a great night for our whole midfield group was it . pies were just great in that area last night .

Is JJ our second most important player now (behind the bont)?

Jong was so so bad. I don't get it.

Fascinated to see whether a forward line can sustain cloke, Boyd, Crameri and stringer when roughead or Campbell come into the team. My gut feel is we're better off leaving a tall out, but I can't wait to see it.

Would our forward line be much different to our grand final one, Cloke simply takes Cordys role and does it better. Crameri is a medium forward anyway and I think his ground game and defensive pressure is as good as anyone who is 10cm shorter.

Stringer played long patches in the Middle and had 2 touches whilst there. He simply should never be in the center square bounces unless we have a winning ruck. He has no inside game and the pies were awesome in the square tonight and ball up around the ground.

If he needs a run in the Middle the wing is the go. We need guys around stoppages with an inside commitment.

Yep can't argue much with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back