Autopsy Dogs def Saints 90-50

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't previously been a fan of Stringer at full forward as the main focal point as I've always felt he plays better when he has that partner to work off but it worked well today and I enjoyed it. I think in the past he'd stay deep forward and we'd bomb long, high balls on his head and he'd be stuck in a wrestle which isn't his strength, but today he got on his bike and found a lot of space with good leads and reaped the rewards. Question still has to be asked if the forward line would function better with another key forward down there.

Today we saw what happens when Stringer sticks to the fundamentals, takes forward line grabs, goes back and slots set shots. When he starts having games like today on a regular basis is when he potentially usurps the Bont as our best player. A scary proposition.

The whole key forward question is interesting. On paper, it gives Stringer a weaker defender. But I think what Bevo doesn't like is that the more talls you play, the less pressure you can apply. Cloke and Red can apply precisely zero forward pressure. So the offence probably improves, but at the expense of being able to retain pressure and cause turnovers.

Kind of an offence v defence thing. Personally I reckon Boyd+Roughie is the way to go. Have one up forward, the other in the ruck. If Cloke finds form he could in theory slot in as an around the ground marking presence. But at this stage I reckon Bevo's gone off playing more than 3, or maybe even 2 talls on a regular basis.

Enjoyed the chance to see an Etihad game live. And glad I could watch the last 15 minutes knowing for once that we had the game sewn up.

Bads (not too many today)
  • Lack of pace was obvious, accentuated early by our fumbling. If you are going to field a slow side they need to be clean handlers and accurate kicks. Not sure how we fix that this year. McLean will help.
  • Managed to stuff up quite a few gimme goals when we had an open forward line.
  • Some very poor missed shots on goal - Wood, running in with no pressure in the 4th kicked OOF, Jong couldn't make the distance with a set shot from inside 50, Bont an atrocious miss with Stringer unmarked 10m out, etc
  • We were easily out-tackled and many of our attempted tackles were often shrugged off or evaded altogether.
  • Suckling. His left foot is great. That is all, unfortunately.
  • Surprising lack of atmosphere up on Level 3. Was it the same elsewhere?
Goods
  • JJs pace and composure are such a weapon. Don't know about $800k a year but we need to keep this bloke at VUWO somehow. Without him we would be so much easier to shut down.
  • Adams played an outstanding game, another we have to keep at the kennel. Get it done JMac!
  • Our defence generally, as noted by a few others. To keep the saints to 7 goals at Etihad (where they usually play very well) is outstanding, especially as they were dominating possession in the first 40 minutes and had us under siege.
  • Bailey Dale - easily his best game at AFL level. Showed confidence and a willingness to take the game on. Has come on very quickly over the last 3 weeks. His pace and good disposal will be an asset too. Like a taller version of JJ perhaps? Out of Williams, Webb and Dale I thought Dale was the least likely to make it but he's ahead of the other two right now.
  • Caleb - such natural footy nous. Great user of the footy. Worked his little arse off too.
  • Morris must have needed the run last week. Back to his dependable gloveliness this week.
  • Wallis. No coincidence that our midfield has looked better with him back. His clearances and CPs outstanding again today.
  • Stringer kicking goals again.
  • Evenness of performance across the side. It's been lacking this year but nearly everyone was able to make a contribution today and suddenly we looked more like the Dogs of late 2016. Much more of a 4 quarter effort too.
Worries
  • Murphy's hammy.
  • Murphy's loss of pace (but still a great decision maker and deliverer in space). Can't see him playing beyond this year. Just hope he can hold his form through to September. His decline coincides with Moyd's - our backline is going to have quite a new look very soon. Big opportunity here for Williams but he has to be better than today. Other candidates are Biggs, Webb, Prudden but none of them are particularly quick. Maybe Roarke Smith in 2018 is the ideal type?

I haven't previously been a fan of Stringer at full forward as the main focal point as I've always felt he plays better when he has that partner to work off but it worked well today and I enjoyed it. I think in the past he'd stay deep forward and we'd bomb long, high balls on his head and he'd be stuck in a wrestle which isn't his strength, but today he got on his bike and found a lot of space with good leads and reaped the rewards. Question still has to be asked if the forward line would function better with another key forward down there.
It helped that we kept an open forward line. It gave him space to work in.

Today we saw what happens when Stringer sticks to the fundamentals, takes forward line grabs, goes back and slots set shots. When he starts having games like today on a regular basis is when he potentially usurps the Bont as our best player. A scary proposition.

The whole key forward question is interesting. On paper, it gives Stringer a weaker defender. But I think what Bevo doesn't like is that the more talls you play, the less pressure you can apply. Cloke and Red can apply precisely zero forward pressure. So the offence probably improves, but at the expense of being able to retain pressure and cause turnovers.

Kind of an offence v defence thing. Personally I reckon Boyd+Roughie is the way to go. Have one up forward, the other in the ruck. If Cloke finds form he could in theory slot in as an around the ground marking presence. But at this stage I reckon Bevo's gone off playing more than 3, or maybe even 2 talls on a regular basis.

His forward pressure was just about at a all time high. His pace is a real asset defensively, and obviously leading.

Bads (not too many today)
  • Lack of pace was obvious, accentuated early by our fumbling. If you are going to field a slow side they need to be clean handlers and accurate kicks. Not sure how we fix that this year. McLean will help.
  • Managed to stuff up quite a few gimme goals when we had an open forward line.
  • Some very poor missed shots on goal - Wood, running in with no pressure in the 4th kicked OOF, Jong couldn't make the distance with a set shot from inside 50, Bont an atrocious miss with Stringer unmarked 10m out, etc
  • We were easily out-tackled and many of our attempted tackles were often shrugged off or evaded altogether.
  • Suckling. His left foot is great. That is all, unfortunately.
  • Surprising lack of atmosphere up on Level 3. Was it the same elsewhere?
Goods
  • JJs pace and composure are such a weapon. Don't know about $800k a year but we need to keep this bloke at VUWO somehow. Without him we would be so much easier to shut down.
  • Adams played an outstanding game, another we have to keep at the kennel. Get it done JMac!
  • Our defence generally, as noted by a few others. To keep the saints to 7 goals at Etihad (where they usually play very well) is outstanding, especially as they were dominating possession in the first 40 minutes and had us under siege.
  • Bailey Dale - easily his best game at AFL level. Showed confidence and a willingness to take the game on. Has come on very quickly over the last 3 weeks. His pace and good disposal will be an asset too. Like a taller version of JJ perhaps? Out of Williams, Webb and Dale I thought Dale was the least likely to make it but he's ahead of the other two right now.
  • Caleb - such natural footy nous. Great user of the footy. Worked his little arse off too.
  • Morris must have needed the run last week. Back to his dependable gloveliness this week.
  • Wallis. No coincidence that our midfield has looked better with him back. His clearances and CPs outstanding again today.
  • Stringer kicking goals again.
Worries
  • Murphy's loss of pace

Such a great summary.

The goal scoring was frustrating. The Bont one killed me. He was dragged for it.

Murphy yes is getting caught when he tries to turn around and weave through players. I still thought he played well and has more pace than players his age like Stevie J.

The level 3 crowd sucked. It was really quiet until 3q.
The last q zapped enthusiasm out of the majority until the late goal. However loved seeing the crowd 70/30 in favour of Dogs. Was Subiaco-esque intimidating.

Stringer was channelling Ablett senior today. So great.

There were a few times where the Saints tall forwards troubled the defence. I wonder what difference Roo would have made for them.

Such a great summary.

The goal scoring was frustrating. The Bont one killed me. He was dragged for it.

Murphy yes is getting caught when he tries to turn around and weave through players. I still thought he played well and has more pace than players his age like Stevie J.

The level 3 crowd sucked. It was really quiet until 3q.
The last q zapped enthusiasm out of the majority until the late goal. However loved seeing the crowd 70/30 in favour of Dogs. Was Subiaco-esque intimidating.

Stringer was channelling Ablett senior today. So great.

There were a few times where the Saints tall forwards troubled the defence. I wonder what difference Roo would have made for them.

Are you a closet dogs supporter? Seem to go to our games a bit.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

English will be very good.

Boyd won't make it as a ruck I don't think until he works on his core strength, he gets pushed off to easily. Sort that out though and he will be ok as his follow up work is good.

Feel for Murph but I think we saw some signs today that this will be his last year.

Can't say the same for Dale Morris, he is first picked every week and will continue to for as long as he wants.

Needed that win badly, I thought the Saints had made some strides forwards but they were horrendous.

Lucky we got that result because the decision to play English was just dumb. He didn't ruck much and played half forward/wing. Just seemed to not have a role but just to be on the field and see what happens. Sorry but thats not very professional in my book. The kid did well and I'm not knocking him at all but 12 to 15 possessions from Webb, libba or McLean would be more useful. There is plenty of time for English to establish himself.
No it actually helped win the game. Seriously no clue.

Having rough, Boyd and English allowed us to throw a mobile tall forward when Carlisle went forward meaning he had to go back again.

Genius playing all 3 with Riewoldt out.

Yes. I made a post about it in the game-day thread about Jong specifically, which is what you're insinuating.

Pretty sure you said you were going to block me - that clearly isn't the case!

Amazing. We win by 40 points. And MD's first instinct is to pot Jong?

Even more laughable considering Jong had a reasonably good match. Not a great match. But not a bad one either. Just good. Man, I wish Jong backed himself in and at least tried to snap that goal, instead of the awful under the pump handball to Bont.

Last edited:
I am pretty flat after that performance. Actually, in a funny sort of way, I felt more optimistic after our loss to GWS. I thought we played much better in that match, with a lot more intensity around the ball carrier, and our win yesterday was more of a reflection of the Saints. They were awful, just plain awful, and I was expecting so much more from them. A top four side should have put them away by 60-80 points. We just seem to lack that killer instinct. It was nice to have an easy win, but at the same time it was frustrating that we couldn't blow them away.

The good news is that Stringer and Roughy were welcome additions, and our midfield looked considerably better. Our defence was very impressive as a unit. And our attack was passable while lacking efficiency. We looked like a 6-8 type side, so we need to get better if we want to make an impact in September.

Hopefully, with a bit more cohesion (Morris, Roughead, Wallis and Stringer back), hunger (Libba - we need you!) and fresh legs (Picken, Bont, Smith after the bye) in the second half of the season, we can really move up a gear or two. All things equal, we're currently 6-4 which is a great launching pad.

How about the DDT on Hunter? Could have broken his neck! Seemed like there was a fair amount of contact with the ground as he looked like his head was sore afterward.

Umpiring was lenient both ways but consistent. What was the free tally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it actually helped win the game. Seriously no clue.

Having rough, Boyd and English allowed us to throw a mobile tall forward when Carlisle went forward meaning he had to go back again.

Genius playing all 3 with Riewoldt out.

You say I have no clue for stating that McLean, Webb or Libba would have been more useful than English in the side.

Yeah righto mate.

He had plenty of space to work in to and we didn't bomb it into him, we kicked it to his advantage regularly.

Gave Brown a bath with his speed and agility.

I too prefer another key forward up there, I think English can make way for one of Red/Cloke though when Bev thinks they have earnt a recall.

Toyd and Roughy have to build chemistry again. They are vitally important for structure, even though Toyd mainly played ruck and Roughy played a hybrid CHF role where he'd float around and fill holes all over the park.

So what do we do with Bailey Williams? Think he will make it but I'm torn as to whether we keep him in the seniors where I don't think he is quite up for it or let him continue to develop in the ressies.

I'd probably just keep persisting to fast track him given likely retirements, but I don't think he is quite up to the standard yet.

Dale surprised me, looks like a decent prospect

Stringer was very, very good. Best game since 2015. Great watching him in full flight.

Wood's past month has been elite. He missed the goal but the skill in the lead up was a good sign the confidence in the side is returning. Will be AA in this form.

Daniel since his return has been great for the side. I'm my most relaxed during a game when he has the ball in hand. Always finds the best option. Rare skill to have.

Wallis as others have said has made an excellent return. As Eddie said in the commentary he is a high quality player.

Biggs, Morris, Dale, Adams all played well.

On the Bont, the selfish outside of the foot miss was very out of character. I think it was the build up of frustration of missing so many set shots, he just wanted to bang a goal thru. If that's the low point of his career then we're ok. I'm glad to hear he got dragged because he deserved that but some of the reaction on here is way over the top.

Was listening to radio at quarter time. Mark Mclure picked this game exactly how it panned out. He said he was confident the dogs would win well. He said no other side absorbs pressure as well as the dogs and they're always in the game. Saints dominated up to that point but Bevo's defensive structures meant the scores were still close. His view, we are still the team to beat in September. Compare that to the drivel from Paul Roos. It must really hurt him seeing us doing well. Did not say one positive thing about us, with all our scores coming from saints mistakes apparently.

So what do we do with Bailey Williams? Think he will make it but I'm torn as to whether we keep him in the seniors where I don't think he is quite up for it or let him continue to develop in the ressies.

I'd probably just keep persisting to fast track him given likely retirements, but I don't think he is quite up to the standard yet.

Dale surprised me, looks like a decent prospect
I thought Williams was very good all day. Extremely solid, in spite of his lack of possessions. There isn't anybody really pushing for his role either (particularly with Murphy likely out for a few at least).

Kicked 1.7 the last two weeks

7.1 it's a different story
Yep. While he hasn't been at his best around the ground, he has still been ok.

But it's his goal kicking which has been worrying, particular his set shots. He was dead on last year.

That check side kick in the last was very unbont like.

He def looks sore and in need of a break, I'll back him in to work through it

Liked : Caleb Daniel and JJ are so reliable with decision making, nearly always finds a way out
great debut by English
our surge in numbers
Disliked: The Bont, needs this Bye
not much atmosphere for an important game, where were the Saints supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back