Autopsy Dogs def Saints 90-50

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't previously been a fan of Stringer at full forward as the main focal point as I've always felt he plays better when he has that partner to work off but it worked well today and I enjoyed it. I think in the past he'd stay deep forward and we'd bomb long, high balls on his head and he'd be stuck in a wrestle which isn't his strength, but today he got on his bike and found a lot of space with good leads and reaped the rewards. Question still has to be asked if the forward line would function better with another key forward down there.

I think you will find Jake benefited yesterday from having Toyd and Ruffy in the forward line at times yesterday for a good duration.

Jake should never be the key forward.

Such a great summary.

The goal scoring was frustrating. The Bont one killed me. He was dragged for it.

Murphy yes is getting caught when he tries to turn around and weave through players. I still thought he played well and has more pace than players his age like Stevie J.

The level 3 crowd sucked. It was really quiet until 3q.
The last q zapped enthusiasm out of the majority until the late goal. However loved seeing the crowd 70/30 in favour of Dogs. Was Subiaco-esque intimidating.

Stringer was channelling Ablett senior today. So great.

There were a few times where the Saints tall forwards troubled the defence. I wonder what difference Roo would have made for them.
Roo always makes them a better team and has troubled us for years however I don't think he would of made such a difference to yesterday's result . Aside from the saints first quarter and half of tackling pressure they were ordinary and should of been smacked a lot more then that final result . I choose to stand on level 1 behind the cheer squad for a better apmosphere but appreciate that that's not everyone's preference .

So what do we do with Bailey Williams? Think he will make it but I'm torn as to whether we keep him in the seniors where I don't think he is quite up for it or let him continue to develop in the ressies.

I'd probably just keep persisting to fast track him given likely retirements, but I don't think he is quite up to the standard yet.

Dale surprised me, looks like a decent prospect
Dale worked very well in Hunter's normal role. I didn't mind the Bont out of the guts, Hunter into the guts to run with Steven move. Much better coaching for a change which was pivotal in our victory.

Potentially teams figured Hunter out on the outside, so using him in another role and a crucial one in stopping St Kildas most dynamic player was crucial to winning yesterday.

Why it took so bloody long to figure out to use a tag baffles me though. Hunter needs to go up against Hanners after the bye. I feel Kennedy will outmuscle him so we need to be wary of him around the clearances, but Hanners is a very good match up for Lachie imo. Putting work into 1 of them diminishes their midfield efficiency. We have enough guys on the outside to pick up the slack from the lack of spread coming from the 1 negative player we have. Dale and Daniel showed they can do this for us, even though it's nothing new for Daniel who is arguably our best ball user.

Beveridge and the MC were excellent strategically for a change, something I've been critical of all year. I hope they are consistent and don't go into games complacent. Roughy coming in as a late change was a good structural move too, Roberts or Roughy imo would've been better than McLean to come in. Roughy helping out behind the ball was vital and gave Adams confidence to go for his marks/contest I felt. He's so strong in the air, kick it to him, he'll bring it to ground or mark it.

Surprising lack of atmosphere up on Level 3. Was it the same elsewhere?
I normally sit level 3 anywhere on the broadcast wing wherever I can get a seat as low down as possible. If it's reserved over there, then I'll go behind the goals.

It was quiet like that against Norf in the first quarter, then they got on top and it changed and everyone started talking.

The first quarter yesterday was very cagey, even though the skill errors from both teams were bad. Wasn't until the third quarter I thought we got louder. Dunno, maybe the roof being open had something to do with it also, think that's the first Etihad game I've been to where the roof was open since that R1 game against Freo last year.

The atmosphere up there against Richmond was great though all game and it was chocker block too. Depends how the game pans out perhaps?

Dale worked very well in Hunter's normal role. I didn't mind the Bont out of the guts, Hunter into the guts to run with Steven move. Much better coaching for a change which was pivotal in our victory.

Potentially teams figured Hunter out on the outside, so using him in another role and a crucial one in stopping St Kildas most dynamic player was crucial to winning yesterday.

Why it took so bloody long to figure out to use a tag baffles me though.

I think that Bev is very much a team system style coach, it's all about the press structure not the individual match ups. Any time you give someone an individual role it will detract from the rest of the structure.

This year with all our ins and outs I think they have been so worried about getting the structures working they have been fearful of detracting from them with individual roles. Last week against Geelong was a bit of a wake up call to the MC about the potential impact of individuals and the need to enable a tagging style role occasionally.

It was great to see Dale play with some composure, his intensity has been much better this year but he's still being panicking with the ball but he looked much more confident whenever he had it yesterday. If can continue that sort form he becomes valuable as he actually has some class with ball going forward.

I watched English a fair bit off the ball and he looked completely lost in both attack and defence. He definitely has a huge upside but not having a genuine forward given he barely played in the ruck would have made it a bigger win yesterday.

Yesterday might change the coaches mind that tagging can stop a key opposition player and not ruin everything else.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that Bev is very much a team system style coach, it's all about the press structure not the individual match ups. Any time you give someone an individual role it will detract from the rest of the structure.

This year with all our ins and outs I think they have been so worried about getting the structures working they have been fearful of detracting from them with individual roles. Last week against Geelong was a bit of a wake up call to the MC about the potential impact of individuals and the need to enable a tagging style role occasionally.
Yeah I realise he is structure/team defence first over one on one defence, but certain midfield types require attention and hard tags can work.

Adelaide: Sloane, no brainer
Brisbane: dunno, depends how that game pans out, otherwise I'd go to Zorko
Carlton: similar to Brisbane with Gibbs, Cripps, Murphy, see how it pans out
Collingwood: whoever is dominant in game, go H2H with them first
Essendon: similar to Collingwood I guess, in game, H2H first
Freo: Neale on current form, no brainer
Geelong: 1 of Dangerwood, just gotta do it
Gold Coast: Gazza? Dunno, maybe not
GWS: Heath Shaw, Picken/Dickson go to him
Hawthorn: do you tag Mitchell? Otherwise no one, just back your gameplan to beat them
Melbourne: H2H, just beat them at being first to the footy and you'll be ok
Norf: lol, Higgins maybe if he's downhill skiing, otherwise H2H
Port: like Melbourne, beat them at the stoppages
Richmond: H2H if Dusty isn't that damaging
St Kilda: Steven, no brainer and it clearly worked yesterday
Sydney: in game if someone is dominant, like Libba going to JPK in the GF in the second half. Hunter going to a Hanners could work too
West Coast: whoever is dominant in game, gotta beat them H2H

Looking at that, there's only 5-6 guys you'd tag league wide looking at our opposition and their strengths/weaknesses, wouldn't be every week, but I'd use it when required and not neglect it at all.

The biggest grins on my face for the day came from watching Stringer chase opponents with very genuine intent. He was a hunter all game (when his team mates sometimes weren't) and his hard work complemented his good form - isn't it funny how the two often go hand in hand - hard work and good performance?

And speaking of hard workers, thank you Jeebus for returning Mitch Wallis and Dale Morris to us.

Yeah I realise he is structure/team defence first over one on one defence, but certain midfield types require attention and hard tags can work.

Adelaide: Sloane, no brainer
Brisbane: dunno, depends how that game pans out, otherwise I'd go to Zorko
Carlton: similar to Brisbane with Gibbs, Cripps, Murphy, see how it pans out
Collingwood: whoever is dominant in game, go H2H with them first
Essendon: similar to Collingwood I guess, in game, H2H first
Freo: Neale on current form, no brainer
Geelong: 1 of Dangerwood, just gotta do it
Gold Coast: Gazza? Dunno, maybe not
GWS: Heath Shaw, Picken/Dickson go to him
Hawthorn: do you tag Mitchell? Otherwise no one, just back your gameplan to beat them
Melbourne: H2H, just beat them at being first to the footy and you'll be ok
Norf: lol, Higgins maybe if he's downhill skiing, otherwise H2H
Port: like Melbourne, beat them at the stoppages
Richmond: H2H if Dusty isn't that damaging
St Kilda: Steven, no brainer and it clearly worked yesterday
Sydney: in game if someone is dominant, like Libba going to JPK in the GF in the second half. Hunter going to a Hanners could work too
West Coast: whoever is dominant in game, gotta beat them H2H

Looking at that, there's only 5-6 guys you'd tag league wide looking at our opposition and their strengths/weaknesses, wouldn't be every week, but I'd use it when required and not neglect it at all.

To beat Heath Shaw, all you have to do is kick it to his actual opponent and that shuts him out since he can't defend.

**** me some here turn on players quickly. Talk of Bont "believing his own hype" or whatever is garbage. He's had a couple flat games, it happens to the best of them.
Chill. Only one poster, I think.
With form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Dale was really clean yesterday and is a silky mover. Still a way to go but congrats to him for all the work he's put in.
Was great yesterday, and his efficiency could be a great asset. Was critical of him after we played Geelong due to him going a bit half hearted into some contests, but he certainly didn't do that yesterday. The goal he set up that Murphy (I think) kicked, he had 2-3 efforts to get the ball - he does that every game with his skills and that's a great asset.

I guess Bev has no clue then?
English, Rough and Boyd all playing yesterday was a very calculated and correct move.
You said another poster had no clue, then predictably he got a bit miffed by it and then you spun it around to get defensive, implying that he said Beveridge has no clue when he never actually said it. That's a pretty infuriating argumentative tactic that would draw the ire of just about anyone.

As for English, he showed great flashes yesterday and will almost definitely be a solid AFL player, but if it was a genius coaching masterclass for matchups' sake, English wouldn't have spent that much of the second half on the pine. He was absolutely gassed. He'll be better for the run for sure though.

You said another poster had no clue, then predictably he got a bit miffed by it and then you spun it around to get defensive, implying that he said Beveridge has no clue when he never actually said it. That's a pretty infuriating argumentative tactic that would draw the ire of just about anyone.

As for English, he showed great flashes yesterday and will almost definitely be a solid AFL player, but if it was a genius coaching masterclass for matchups' sake, English wouldn't have spent that much of the second half on the pine. He was absolutely gassed. He'll be better for the run for sure though.
Didn't spin it like that, intentionally anyway. Poster said it was dumb to select English. Inference - MC have no clue.

I think you will find Jake benefited yesterday from having Toyd and Ruffy in the forward line at times yesterday for a good duration.

Jake should never be the key forward.

Why not? If you mean there should be another tall there to take pressure off him, fair enough - but he is our best goalkicker so he may be our best bet at FF. Plus bloody great to watch.

What I'm enjoying is seeing Dale break tackles. His strength has come a long way.
Agree with this - he took on a couple of tacklers in the Geelong game as well which is no doubt improved strength but also a good sign of confidence hopefully. Really pleased with Dale because I was on his bandwagon when he started but by the start of this year couldn't see where he was going to fit / the opening was going to come.

I thought Williams was very good all day. Extremely solid, in spite of his lack of possessions. There isn't anybody really pushing for his role either (particularly with Murphy likely out for a few at least).
What was his role it seemed hard to tell off the TV? Didn't seem to do much wrong when he had it but also didn't seem to get much of it. What his role off the ball?

Why not? If you mean there should be another tall there to take pressure off him, fair enough - but he is our best goalkicker so he may be our best bet at FF. Plus bloody great to watch.
Against quality key defenders or quality team defences he can be shut down. Think of him struggling against Norf or GWS early last year with defenders like Tarrant, Haynes, Shaw etc coming in over the top repeatedly. This is the value of having a Toyd or Cloke or Red to contest that high ball or separate the defence apart so they get space to work in and Jake gets a number 2/3 guy to burn off instead

Yesterday he had an open forwardline to work in and burn Brown off as Roughy and Toyd rotated from ruck to CHF/roaming tall midfielder, he won't get space like that all the time. Carlisle played ok, but he wasn't a huge factor in the end too.

Toyd and Cordy playing crucial forward roles in the finals keeping dominant defenders honest was a key reason in helping us win the flag, finals footy is different and the ball regularly gets bombed in deep into crowded forwardlines. Jakes pressure, pace, agility and skill is what we need most from him come finals time, not sitting under the highball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back