Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I reckon there's a couple of posters on this board where when they claim a bloke is/is going to be a gun most people just jump on with them. Have noticed it's happened with Williams.

Not saying it's a bad thing or that he isn't gonna be a gun, just an observation.
Bailey Williams is the new Jimmy Bartel

To me i am yet to see him pull the trigger at afl level. Can't comment on vfl as I live interstate. Did ask the question on the game day thread whether he stops and slows down at vfl level as I notice he does at afl level
This sums it up for me too - I live interstate and don't see the VFL form.

My gut feeling is that he'll make it but until he has a genuinely good game at AFL level there will remain question marks about his future. We shouldn't expect it to be otherwise.

TBH I was less optimistic about Dale but he is starting to produce the goods week by week. I'm looking for that same improvement from Williams.

My gut feeling is that he'll make it but until he has a genuinely good game at AFL level there will remain question marks about his future. We shouldn't expect it to be otherwise.

TBH I was less optimistic about Dale but he is starting to produce the goods week by week. I'm looking for that same improvement from Williams.
Like Dale, once he gets a consistent run you'll see improvement and consistency.

He'll be a good player. It seems a common denominator on BF that people expect too much, too early from some players.

Thought his game against Richmond was pretty good?

Like Dale, once he gets a consistent run you'll see improvement and consistency.

He'll be a good player. It seems a common denominator on BF that people expect too much, too early from some players.
Agree. It's the curse of Bontempelli. He's averaging almost 16 disposals per game over a 13 game career. It's not bad at all really.

As an aside, does anyone know whether a HTB against you counts as a free against? He's only had 5 frees against this season, so I would assume not as even I thought he'd been pinged HTB more than that.

Reckon it's worth fighting it?

Nah, he did land the jab on the chin after the AFL has told people to cut it out. Just more frustrating that the aggressor in the situation just copped a fine for wrestling when he attempted a jumper punch.

Thought his game against Richmond was pretty good?
It didn't stand out in my memory. Checked back and he had 23 possessions (8 CPs in that) and 2 GAs. Only got a total of 4 Ching votes (a 3 and a 1) from 28 voters so he was our 12th best if you use that as a rough guide. Also was voted 3rd best Pup that day.

So clearly he played an OK sort of a game. The problem is he wasn't able to reproduce it in the next 3 games (this was in a string of 5 consecutive games so he was obviously given a good shot at it). Therein lies the difference between him and and the other Bailey at the moment - Dale has been doing good things pretty much every week for the last month and is frequently mentioned in dispatches. That's where Williams needs to get to.

In his favour he's nearly 16 months younger than his namesake so time is still on his side.

MC did give him a run of 5 games between Rds 6-10 this year then sent him back to the VFL.
Hope they give him a good run this time too.

The point about age is legit as he was close to bottom age in his draft year. Dale has nearly 16 months on him.

Take em on Bailey, take em on.

The funny thing was that he wasnt "taking them on" when he got done holding the ball. All four times he was just completely unaware that he was about to be tackled. That lack of awareness is troubling.

Edit: actually three of the four times. To be fair one of them was a hospital handball and he didn't have much chance.

******* bullshit red got done for that. The same thing has happened 20 times since the AFLs 'crack down' on jumper punches for no punishment. So ******* inconsistent. After a very good game too (that I'm sure a certain few posters here have overlooked)
Can someone explain to me how Red gets one game for that but Rance can walk straight up and elbow Stevie J in the guts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* bullshit red got done for that. The same thing has happened 20 times since the AFLs 'crack down' on jumper punches for no punishment. So ******* inconsistent. After a very good game too (that I'm sure a certain few posters here have overlooked)

I can't comprehend it. They were both throwing soft jumperies and only one guy gets suspended? Could cost us our season. Red was in great touch.

The funny thing was that he wasnt "taking them on" when he got done holding the ball. All four times he was just completely unaware that he was about to be tackled. That lack of awareness is troubling.

Edit: actually three of the four times. To be fair one of them was a hospital handball and he didn't have much chance.

Taking them on doesn't have to mean trying to run around blokes. To me it also means risking getting caught to be poised and make a good decision rather than panicking and just throwing it on the boot.

I'd rather see him continue to be patient and thoughtful with the footy and get caught now and again, than become another bulldog turnover merchant.

Agree. It's the curse of Bontempelli. He's averaging almost 16 disposals per game over a 13 game career. It's not bad at all really.

As an aside, does anyone know whether a HTB against you counts as a free against? He's only had 5 frees against this season, so I would assume not as even I thought he'd been pinged HTB more than that.

Yes it counts, so if he's had only 5 FAs then that's really good. My criticism of Dale would be that I'm yet to see him give an almighty defensive effort like a 3rd effort rundown chase, or racking up 10 tackles in a game.

EDIT: we weren't talking about dale were we...still on about the other bailey

Some of the stuff you read on this thread...

I mean I like Bailey Williams as well, but the mental quantum leaps required to turn the actual, on-field events of getting caught holding the ball three times in the match as "good signs because he's a thinking player" or something like that quite extraordinary (let alone 13 people liking the post). I mean people know me on this board, I like to analyse things, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade, and Bailey Williams getting caught 3 times holding the ball first and foremost to me represented the fact that he got caught holding the ball a lot.

I mean, when watching the game, were people really thinking "he's showing thought and poise"? I thought to myself "here's a player whose weakness in his lack of acceleration over his first 2-3 steps might get him into trouble into the future".

I don't understand why. Is it an inverse of the whole draft pick thing? The theory that high draft picks get unfairly criticised early in their career is now the opposite for a late pick for Williams? That it's not somehow fair to call a weakness in his game a weakness in his game because we should have low expectations because he wasn't a high draft pick?
Aren't you the same poster who last week wrote a thesis on why Roughead getting flogged in the ruck contests was a deliberate plan and thus he was playing his role to perfection?
Aren't you also the poster that has had numerous long winded posts on why Jong is so important to our structure despite only getting 10-15 possessions from the midfield?

Also, not sure if it was you but there was also the infamous Ayce Cordy filling holes argument as to why he kept getting a game before he was delisted in 2015.

All of the above require much more mental gymnastics that suggesting Williams gets caught HTB because he is trying to take the game on.

Side note: look at Williams HTBs again. One was because Murphy sold him into trouble and gave him no chance, and another was because he got no support / talk from Lewis Young. Hardly hanging offences

I like both the Baileys; funnily enough both about same height and weight, similar draft pick number and both appear to have a nice fluent penetrating kick. I always liked Dale from the start but at the start of the year struggled to see where he'd fit but he's certainly found his place at the moment and clearly I was wrong in my concerns (or perhaps hadn't anticipated the injuries and form giving him the opening - but either way he's taken his opportunity). I think Williams will too with a few more games under his belt and is worth persisting with. I really like how Bev gives players a stretch of games. I've always wanted a Dogs coach that did that - I don't really see how you lose. They get confidence or you find out whether they're up to it rather than being in and out for a while.

(Yes Webb is probably the counter example).

Taking them on doesn't have to mean trying to run around blokes. To me it also means risking getting caught to be poised and make a good decision rather than panicking and just throwing it on the boot.

I'd rather see him continue to be patient and thoughtful with the footy and get caught now and again, than become another bulldog turnover merchant.
I can't like this enough. He doesn't need to be fleet of foot (Luckily because he's pretty average paced). He makes good decisions with the ball because he thinks about his disposal instead of doing what Dahl, Hunter, Picken etc do and just slam it forward onto the chest of the opposition wall. He can get caught 5 times a game for all I care if it means he never bombs blindly, his disposal efficiency is great which tells us it works for him.

In time he'll learn to adapt to a quicker game, but he's bloody young, guys. Natural poise is a rare thing on a footy field (See the Bont) and Bailey has it in spades.

Also, why are we not questioning the lack of communication for the young fella? If he gets caught because he doesn't know what's around him, shouldn't his teammates be yapping a little louder to let him know?

I wonder how many more times this will need to be said.

Aren't you the same poster who last week wrote a thesis on why Roughead getting flogged in the ruck contests was a deliberate plan and thus he was playing his role to perfection?
Aren't you also the poster that has had numerous long winded posts on why Jong is so important to our structure despite only getting 10-15 possessions from the midfield?

Also, not sure if it was you but there was also the infamous Ayce Cordy filling holes argument as to why he kept getting a game before he was delisted in 2015.

All of the above require much more mental gymnastics that suggesting Williams gets caught HTB because he is trying to take the game on.

Side note: look at Williams HTBs again. One was because Murphy sold him into trouble and gave him no chance, and another was because he got no support / talk from Lewis Young. Hardly hanging offences
Wow that was an oddly specific and personal line of attack. And you've completely misrepresented my my past arguments, whereas my previous posts have been "this is why Bevo sees value/keeps picking him" as opposed to "this is actually good". I made an argument for why Ayce Cordy was getting a game, not why he should be getting a game, and similar to other players - big difference there.

Wow that was an oddly specific and personal line of attack. And you've completely misrepresented my past arguments, whereas my previous posts have been "this is why Bevo sees value/keeps picking him" as opposed to "this is actually good". I made an argument for why Ayce Cordy was getting a game, not why he should be getting a game, and similar to other players - big difference there.

Love your work m8. Keep up the digging :thumbsu: comedy gold.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/changes-vs-the-crows.1094299/page-7#post-38072540

Wow that was an oddly specific and personal line of attack. And you've completely misrepresented my my past arguments, whereas my previous posts have been "this is why Bevo sees value/keeps picking him" as opposed to "this is actually good". I made an argument for why Ayce Cordy was getting a game, not why he should be getting a game, and similar to other players - big difference there.
Keep your head up 3NP. I'd rather a person have a go at thinking outside the box than the same cookie cutter responses we get on here sometimes.
It is also I guess why I can't agree with your assessment of Bailey Williams, in him I see a player who thinks outside the box. I see him waiting for the perfect pass and trying to use his core to stand up in tackles, both aren't quite working out yet but he's young and still not quite strong enough in the core or experienced enough in the mind. I'd keep playing him though because I want to fast track the latter.

Having now watched the game I think people in the match day threads need to take a chill pill.
Thought;
-Dahlhaus was excellent,
-JJ was back to his efficient self
-liked Hunter's accumulation and support running (also think complaints about his disposal are overstated)
-feel horrible about Moz
-wish Murph's body wasn't failing him
-Picken is a forward and nowhere near cooked
-Libba isn't healthy or fit
-Honeychurch has strung some pretty good games together
-as has Dale although I wish I could combine Dale's size and skill with Honey's desire and hardness,
-Redpath had a great first quarter and was horrible thereafter against a severely depleted defence with a soft midget skeleton as his direct opponent. Will never get it that easy again. Bring on Cloke. Get well soon Tommy.
-Cordy is absolutely not too short to play key defender, at 195cm he destroyed both 200cm players he played against in the air.
-Young looks like Chris Grant reincarnate. Please keep it up kid.
-Great to see us get some of that belief and agression back. Hopefully it builds confidence for the Bombers game.

And yet from 19 uncontested possessions Bailey Williams ended up with 7 turnovers and was one of the higher clanger players on the ground.

He looks like a decent kick of the football, and I agree, he should be taking the game on and being confident in his own abilities, but posters should be allowed to call a spade a spade and say his decision-making and legspeed is currently quite slow for the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back