Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be hard to please but I thought we were very ordinary for most of that game. I had to keep reminding myself that the Suns' injury list is even longer than ours and had one or two of their better players been available, this could have gone either way.
Our usual suspect ball butchers were fully evident again and I think this needs to be addressed in the trade period either this year or next.
Not going to be critical of any individual but I would ask the question: just who is that player running around in the No 21 guernsey?
The best positive was that the team fought it out right to the final siren and worked hard to rectify earlier blemishes.

Wah cordy has been amazing

"IF" We got Lever, can easily fit him, Adams, Young and Cordy, heck even Wood in the same team defensive half. Would pick off every single ball that came in. All are mobile an athletic enough to play there, not like they are lumbering slow guys. And can easily have them rotate between the bench and forward line, as all are versatile. Depth is a great thing. Not sure what game Dog Stats was watching today, but Cordy was good today and in other games this season. Plays with intent and aggression, made a few spoils when Gold Coast were coming back, was one of our better few today

"IF" We got Lever, can easily fit him, Adams, Young and Cordy, heck even Wood in the same team defensive half. Would pick off every single ball that came in. All are mobile an athletic enough to play there, not like they are lumbering slow guys. And can easily have them rotate between the bench and forward line, as all are versatile. Depth is a great thing. Not sure what game Dog Stats was watching today, but Cordy was good today and in other games this season. Plays with intent and aggression, made a few spoils when Gold Coast were coming back, was one of our better few today
Cordy, and Adams as KPF and Young, Lever and Roberts in the back half.

Roberts played his juniors as a Forward so could even switch him up with Cordy. I'd love that to see that much flexibility with a side.

Yeah, he doesn't represent most of us. I'm confident, but that's purely because of your record when coming back down from Cairns.

I'd make a minor tweak to that. We don't play well in games where we start as major favourites. Games we've been considered definitely the better side going into the game: Brisbane x2, Carlton, Freo, Collingwood (second game), North. 3-3, 105.8%

Games where we've been considered slightly better or worse going into the game: Hawthorn, Adelaide, ANZAC Day, Melbourne, Geelong, West Coast, Richmond, GWS, Port, Sydney, St. Kilda. 6-5, 123.1%
Pretty sure you picked a 7 or 8 goal win as well. Your side isn't that good

What did people make of Williams game?? Thought he was good in the first half before falling away.

I'm taking all the credit for this one. I meant to pick Picken as my banker but never got around to it. If I had he would likely have kicked 0-6 with 3 oof. Or even worse gone off with an injury early in the game. So I'm running with the idea that my little oversight won us the game.

What did people make of Williams game?? Thought he was good in the first half before falling away.
OK for a 19yo but he's no Bob Murphy Mk II as someone pointed out a little earlier.
I like him but he'll need to keep on improving to hold his spot through to the end of the year.

We wondered about Dale too after his first couple of games this year, then it started to click for him, his confidence lifted and he's got progressively better since then. Could happen the same with Williams if he gets a few more consecutive games.

A heap of positive signs to come out of this week, mostly honeychurch for mine. Played a ripper and at his best he is a very serviceable addition to our forward half.

Maybe this season has just turned me into a negative Nancy, but I think that scoreline glosses over some real problems that aren't being fixed. Two wins in two weeks is good, but they're two of the worst teams in the comp.

Disposal is still pretty poor across the team, a lot of guys look less than confident when kicking and either come up with a clanger or kick it straight to an opponent. Libba is still poor, and now Bob looks like he's on the way out. I for one am pretty concerned about next week against a pretty in form team.

All that said, hopefully the big last quarter gives those guys who are low on confidence a boost. A win next week could put us back in the finals conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw an snippet of Eade's presser- he was asked about Morris and he was told it was a bad break. Eade then sung Moz's praises which was really nice to see. He said Moz is as good a player as he has coached and that he is a superstar. I thought it was a nice thing because Eade really had to be under a s**tload of pressure at the moment.
Classy stuff. I've always respected Rocket, one of the good guys.

Yeah, this constant theme of clubs trying to bash us up and intimidate us with off the ball shenanigans is only going to work for so long. They are becoming hardened to it and won't be rattled by it for much longer. This year will be great for our players development. Getting used to being hunted and having teams come after us physically will mature a young list well before their time.
The Wog Squad of the nineties wouldn't have put up with it. Libba Snr, Romero and Dimma would have struck fear into the hearts of the would-be bullies.

unfortunately they'd spend a lot of time suspended these days :p

I must be hard to please but I thought we were very ordinary for most of that game. I had to keep reminding myself that the Suns' injury list is even longer than ours and had one or two of their better players been available, this could have gone either way.
Our usual suspect ball butchers were fully evident again and I think this needs to be addressed in the trade period either this year or next.
Not going to be critical of any individual but I would ask the question: just who is that player running around in the No 21 guernsey?
The best positive was that the team fought it out right to the final siren and worked hard to rectify earlier blemishes.

Everything you said , spot on DB.

Just had a look a this the stats and can't believe Libba only got 13 tocuhes.

I thought he was very good on the inside tonight and would of expected him to have had 20 at least. Competed well for most of the game.
Had a decent second half but barely touched it early. Think he might have only had one touch in the first.

Speaking of which, Free Kicks were 24-13 today (HT 12-6). Another media barrage this week?

Congrats to the umps for not trying to even it up in the second half, although I thought they made a few howlers (both ways) in the 2nd half.

i noticed a lot of the frees were from head high contact , our players going low and hard

We played much better last night. Ball movement and disposal was back to how it should be for most of the night and we did well in tight. Opposition was under strength but that's not our fault, we did what we needed to do and it should have lifted their confidence kicking 16 goals in difficult conditions. Moz can't take a trick, massive loss.

Felt like an oddly dissatisfying game to me. Couldn't seem to think our way through the flood when with the breeze and only ultimately got there on fatigue of the Suns - hoping that we get our recovery right too as it did look sapping.

Bev also still struggling with another KPP down and never seems to have much more than 2/3 side playing well so constantly shuffling to get maximum return out of what's left. Think that's why Honey (and Jong) keep getting games - maybe sometimes 90% from a 6/10 player is better than 50% out of a 9/10?

Nice to see Dale with a little growth on the lip. Hopefully he pulls up well; looked like it might've been a nasty voice break.

He gets caught too much "thinking " and it's costly
That's a terrific sign from a player in his 13th game. It may cause a problem every now and again but it's a really, really beneficial skill to have if he can hone his decision-making. AFL is a thinking player's game, if you have a player who has the time and poise to always find the best option with ball in hand, combined with very secure ball use, that's a serious weapon. It will improve with experience. People are way, way, way too quick to crucify Williams.

someone posted those fitness stats this week, and its evident our players dont run hard enough compared to our oponents.
not sure if its by design or some issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back