Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned your losses against two of the bottom sides. You said essendope lose to better sides.. go figure.

And if they lose to better sides and the dogs are apparently one somehow we get pantsed by your cheating mob.

Piss off. By all means tell your colleagues how you will smash us but don't come on our board telling us
And I ignored it. The only time I mentioned games against lower sides was in my original post to clear up a misconception. I also said that it was either a comfortable win or a loss to the better sides, which the Dogs are.

You're an odd one. I say that there is one of two things that happen against good sides and you just focus on the one I don't think will happen.

I didn't even bring up my predicted margin, that was you.
Some folks aren't to knowledgeable about footy. And then there's blokes who are emphatic in displaying their lack of knowledge.
He is one of those, isn't he?
Well they do dope well
You do realize he was referring to you, right?

That was a good win, despite Gold Coast being a rabble (feel sorry for Rocket - poor bloke)

That first quarter against the breeze was brilliant, probably our best for the year.

So bloody happy with Bailey Dale this year, again excellent yesterday.

Loved Picken's return to form. Please keep it up.

We've still got a shitload of improvement to do if we want to beat Essendon though.

And I ignored it. The only time I mentioned games against lower sides was in my original post to clear up a misconception. I also said that it was either a comfortable win or a loss to the better sides, which the Dogs are.

You're an odd one. I say that there is one of two things that happen against good sides and you just focus on the one I don't think will happen.

I didn't even bring up my predicted margin, that was you.

He is one of those, isn't he?

You do realize he was referring to you, right?

No m8. As ever your posting displays a lack of comprehension on just about everything. You'd have to be one of the worst posters on BF. Always so emphatic that you are correct while being so regularly wrong.

A signicant achievement. Pat yourself on the back m8.

That was a good win, despite Gold Coast being a rabble (feel sorry for Rocket - poor bloke)

That first quarter against the breeze was brilliant, probably our best for the year.

So bloody happy with Bailey Dale this year, again excellent yesterday.

Loved Picken's return to form. Please keep it up.

We've still got a shitload of improvement to do if we want to beat Essendon though.

Agree with all of that

No m8. As ever your posting displays a lack of comprehension on just about everything. You'd have to be one of the worst posters on BF. Always so emphatic that you are correct while being so regularly wrong.

A signicant achievement. Pat yourself on the back m8.
Ah, but I'm not in this regard. If you regard me as one of the worst I must be doing something right.

I've clearly ruffled the feathers of a few here, which wasn't my intention, so I'll take my leave.

Ah, but I'm not in this regard. If you regard me as one of the worst I must be doing something right.

I've clearly ruffled the feathers of a few here, which wasn't my intention, so I'll take my leave.

Haha, you're such a flog. Every post you have made here has been so emphatically wrong

Don't leave on my account m8 your emphatic ignorance is always amusing.

Williams will be a good player. Many on here are far too reactive and fixated on minor issues. Short memories and no foresight. Second year players get caught with the ball when they get hospital handballs. If they don't, then they're the Bont.

Anyone remember Ryan Griffen in his early years? He got caught four times a game because he was told to use his natural strengths and take the game on and learn when the break a tackle and when to dish it off. Williams' strength is his poise and balance.

The difference is Williams is not taking the game on, he is stopping and hesitating, if he was taking the game on charging through trying to make time and space for himself or getting past an opponent to use the ball and getting caught from time to time that would be great. But what Williams seems to be doing is ( and this is even when he has space) he stops and hesitates and looks almost scared to actually make a decision. He invites trouble on himself and also seems to lose awareness of what's around him.

To me he seems to be looking for the safe 100% pass. This could be a lack of confidence, scared to make a mistake or turn the ball over. But he needs to keep moving with the ball and take the first option.

With Bob Murphy and Matty Boyd both on the brink and unlikely to continue next year who are the alternatives?

I can only think of Roarke Smith (who I do rate) and Lukas Webb (the debate continues on whether he's really a HBF option). Maybe Josh Prudden if he keeps his spot as a rookie but he would be slower than Williams. An alternative would be to convert a midfielder into a HBF, like Dunkley or McLean perhaps, but I'm not keen on it as they have plenty of value as midfielders/HFFs. Hunter was tried at HBF and was not a great success. I'm not even that keen on Suckling back there.

Since none of the young prospects have staked a strong claim (yet) I think we have to persevere with each of them - Williams, Webb and Roarke - until one emerges as a regular. Now is Williams' opportunity so I hope he gets another few games to show some improvement. I think he'll make it but would like to see something more from him soon.

Incidentally (nothing personal), I normally ignore a post when I see the words "like a deer in headlights". It's probably the player put-down I hate most. I kept reading this time because you clearly have a constructive intent.

I'm not saying let's drop him or that he won't make it in any way what so ever. All I'm doing is pointing out a deficiency I believe he has and trying to work out the causes for it and I've put up quite a few options of what could be the cause. The main thing is he needs I keep moving with the ball.

He seems a good kick and defends well and works hard, he just hesitates with the ball and as he is taking time to make a decision he basically stops still and then invites pressure. It's like he is either scared of making a mistake or he panics slightly with ball in hand. It could well be getting used to the speed of the game or as mentioned above it could be confidence or looking for the too safe an option.

I think we are set at half back/ small to medium defenders even with moyd and Murphy most likely gone at years end. Biggs, wood, jj, suckling all there. Williams coming through (but needs to fix some things up) then the jury is still out on the likes of a lynch. Also seen Bev play hunter and others back there.

Not directed at either of you directly but just a general thing, a lot on this board tend to over react to the slightest criticism of a player, very few players in the afl have no deficiencies, some on this board do attack players both personally and over the top and write players off early but some also over react at the slightest criticism of a player as if pointing a deficiency out equals saying a player is no good.

The difference is Williams is not taking the game on, he is stopping and hesitating, if he was taking the game on charging through trying to make time and space for himself or getting past an opponent to use the ball and getting caught from time to time that would be great. But what Williams seems to be doing is ( and this is even when he has space) he stops and hesitates and looks almost scared to actually make a decision. He invites trouble on himself and also seems to lose awareness of what's around him.

To me he seems to be looking for the safe 100% pass. This could be a lack of confidence, scared to make a mistake or turn the ball over. But he needs to keep moving with the ball and take the first option.

I'm not saying let's drop him or that he won't make it in any way what so ever. All I'm doing is pointing out a deficiency I believe he has and trying to work out the causes for it and I've put up quite a few options of what could be the cause. The main thing is he needs I keep moving with the ball.

He seems a good kick and defends well and works hard, he just hesitates with the ball and as he is taking time to make a decision he basically stops still and then invites pressure. It's like he is either scared of making a mistake or he panics slightly with ball in hand. It could well be getting used to the speed of the game or as mentioned above it could be confidence or looking for the too safe an option.

I think we are set at half back/ small to medium defenders even with moyd and Murphy most likely gone at years end. Biggs, wood, jj, suckling all there. Williams coming through (but needs to fix some things up) then the jury is still out on the likes of a lynch. Also seen Bev play hunter and others back there.

Not directed at either of you directly but just a general thing, a lot on this board tend to over react to the slightest criticism of a player, very few players in the afl have no deficiencies, some on this board do attack players both personally and over the top and write players off early but some also over react at the slightest criticism of a player as if pointing a deficiency out equals saying a player is no good.

As he isn't getting clear as much, Murph has been forced to handball. Murph handballing isn't pretty.

As he isn't getting clear as much, Murph has been forced to handball. Murph handballing isn't pretty.

I'm not basing what I'm saying on a single moment in a single game or even a single game it's just a trait I've noticed with Williams that he invites pressure as he hesitates and basically stops as he sums up his options.

Would love to hear from vfl watchers if he did the same there or kept in motion.

That's a reasoned position, thank you.

Some of us get a little protective of players after having made one too many ventures into the game day threads (not meaning to compare your points to that rubbish in any way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a reasoned position, thank you.

Some of us get a little protective of players after having made one too many ventures into the game day threads (not meaning to compare your points to that rubbish in any way).

There is plenty of it in the game day threads and changes thread and all over the board where one mistake means a player should be immediately delisted. Some of the stuff directed at players is just ridiculous

There is plenty of it in the game day threads and changes thread and all over the board where one mistake means a player should be immediately delisted. Some of the stuff directed at players is just ridiculous
The same blokes yelling abuse at players running down the race after a loss no doubt

What did derm say?
He spoke crap the whole game. But him saying that Bontempelli was going around starting fights (he says this while the vision clearly shows Hanley elbowed him in the face) was just bizarre. He spent almost the whole first quarter having a go at Bont for it, but then he shoots his load when Mumford snips people.

Last night was one of the worst broadcasts I can remember. We should request Huddo for every Fox game.

I thought I had the tolerance to stand the commentating but I was wrong. Silence is better than some of the commentating of all games these past few years.

He spoke crap the whole game. But him saying that Bontempelli was going around starting fights (he says this while the vision clearly shows Hanley elbowed him in the face) was just bizarre. He spent almost the whole first quarter having a go at Bont for it, but then he shoots his load when Mumford snips people.

Last night was one of the worst broadcasts I can remember. We should request Huddo for every Fox game.
I didn't see it as having a go at Bont. I thought he was more enjoying that Bont was in the centre of it all.

We should request Huddo for every Fox game.
Can we just make Huddo call every game every weekend? He's the only good commentator that the networks seem to trust.

Nothing to do with getting the ball Fossie. It's more his disposal efficiency and decision making. The poise that has been the hallmark of his great career seems to have evaporated completely. He also seems to have lost a yard of pace and so that extra half second he used to have to spot up the correct target is now gone. His kicking at goal is pretty poor also although he kicked a nice easy long goal at the end of the game yesterday.
His handball back to Williams was an example of his issues, he has made howlers like that in nearly every game he has played this year.
Has to retire....great career but this year he has been poor. Moz unfortunately was the only one of the 3 veterans I would have perservered with and now...after this injury I am suggesting he has to go also. Boyd is cooked so he has to go.
What was his DE? I saw the howler and know he isn't what he used to be, just think putrid is way too strong. I wouldn't like to see him go on and struggle any worse next year either.

Can we just make Huddo call every game every weekend? He's the only good commentator that the networks seem to trust.
You just feel like he's the best in the business at the moment, dont you.

Have a look at those metres gained. What a star.

37a34b2657b1238243f14fde54da9d42.jpg
Mmmm. Metres gained is a stat massively overrated unless it regards a player who is a damaging user of the ball, with elite speed or wins contested ball, i.e. Dangerfield, Dusty. For someone like Zach Merrett, who has elite kicking skills, it's appropriate as it shows how he is moving the ball forward at great volume, but also at high quality. For guys like Brad Hill, Zorko and Jayden Hunt, they're using their pace to move it forward, which is beneficial for their team. With guys like Suckling, Roberton, Newnes, Gaff whose ball use may be sound, but not damaging (or in Suckling's case, the opposite) they tend to move the ball forward to a disadvantage or to a very safe, non-dangerous option. It doesn't matter that they have high meterage gained, they're not using it to any great effect. Someone like Buddy is a complete anomaly as it's ridiculous that someone who plays as a forward could get the ball forward at any great volume.

Mmmm. Metres gained is a stat massively overrated unless it regards a player who is a damaging user of the ball, with elite speed or wins contested ball, i.e. Dangerfield, Dusty. For someone like Zach Merrett, who has elite kicking skills, it's appropriate as it shows how he is moving the ball forward at great volume, but also at high quality. For guys like Brad Hill, Zorko and Jayden Hunt, they're using their pace to move it forward, which is beneficial for their team. With guys like Suckling, Roberton, Newnes, Gaff whose ball use may be sound, but not damaging (or in Suckling's case, the opposite) they tend to move the ball forward to a disadvantage or to a very safe, non-dangerous option. It doesn't matter that they have high meterage gained, they're not using it to any great effect. Someone like Buddy is a complete anomaly as it's ridiculous that someone who plays as a forward could get the ball forward at any great volume.

Yeah it's an extremely flawed stat used in isolation as an analysis of player quality...which was kind of my subtle dig at suckers being so high.

That's a terrific sign from a player in his 13th game. It may cause a problem every now and again but it's a really, really beneficial skill to have if he can hone his decision-making. AFL is a thinking player's game, if you have a player who has the time and poise to always find the best option with ball in hand, combined with very secure ball use, that's a serious weapon. It will improve with experience. People are way, way, way too quick to crucify Williams.

I agree. Continuing to slow down after your third holding the ball decision against and refusing to panic speaks to me of a brave player with good IQ and character. His reactions will speed up with experience, and we will have one of the best option takers in the game on our hands.

I am very confident about him.

I'd like to defend the Suns here. Was at the game and thought the first three quarters were absolutely frenetic and a very good standard. The Suns played to their strengths- the fast break and did it well. Wright kicked a 65m goal and Ainsworth kicked two excellent shots. Fiorini and Martin looked fantastic and Swallow a lot better than his brother. We did exceptionally to hold up their run after the first ten minutes. Would not like to play them in 2-3 years.

The last quarter was ordinary as the pace of the game, the heat and us being one short meant everyone was stuffed. Williams in particular looked fatigued, hence his mistakes. He was good up until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back