Review Dogs defeat melbourne 85-65 - Round 19, 2021

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know Hannan kicked two but he just doesn't do it for me.... I don't think he's pressure is elite is my opinion but then again what would I know.
He was much better than he’s been and it was hard to tell from the TV but if he played a role on May he was super influential but I still think he’s a dumb footballer, I’d rather a run and pressure type in that spot

Shacf501

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He was much better than he’s been and it was hard to tell from the TV but if he played a role on May he was super influential but I still think he’s a dumb footballer, I’d rather a run and pressure type in that spot
Agree with you mate, especially if we re already playing three talls. When and if Martin comes back we will have big Tim down there as well. I just think Jamarra offers more x-factor than him. I dont dislike the bloke just though he would be better than he has shown

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He also strategically dragged Lever to the goal square when he could. V likley a deliberate plan to reduce his intercept influence.

So it looks like the last time that we were in first place this late in the season was Round 20 in 1992. And you know who beat us twice in the Finals that year...:geelong:

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
So it looks like the last time that we were in first place this late in the season was Round 20 in 1992. And you know who beat us twice in the Finals that year...:geelong:
[/]
Can’t wait to meet the Cats in this years finals

Iamspock

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have become a pretty elite wet weather team. Bodes well for finals at G if the weather turns.

Crows, Dons, Hawks and Power is a nice run for our new defence to try find their feet. Wood probably comes in for Richards but not sure if Young comes in for Keath. Port might stretch us with Downhill Dixon, Mitch and Marshall but the result might not matter come round 23.
Maybe Wood comes back for Keith, not quite the same, but experienced, big bodied and mobile

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I absolutely love Caleb Daniel. What an inspirational player.

Jdoggy

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Refrained from commenting last week, a mixture of couldnt be bothered but more so I had a differing pleased opinion of just getting the win to everyone else which is perfectly warranted coz we were bad.

I’ll say it again, since Dunks went down followed by Treloar, we needed to bank whatever wins we could as it would leave too much up to those left behind and boy have they stood up for months now; seriously can’t wait for them to come back as it does not matter who we face, we go in favourites when theyre all in as they give our midfield too many different looks to be contained. i.e. Good luck trying to tag for Libba coz Dunkley. My personal hindsight says, both of them in, we win 2 of the 4 games we’ve lost.

Everyone is up and about after that win and so we should be, without those 2 AGAIN against Melb, I built perspective readying for another loss but this time, everytime we were challenged, the boys absolutely stood up.

Only a handful have mentioned him but tonight was for Bailey Smith. Has copped a lot a flack throughout the year for some poor performances and whilst plenty of times it was warranted, you cannot drop him. He is our best burst player out of the middle without Treloar in there and this is in one of those 3rd year player periods that will refine his quality. Smothers/Bursts and a crucial goal, it’s frightening that per Round 6 Bont/Macrae/Lib/Dunk were 4 of top 10 players in league and we have 5th/6th string Smith/Treloar and Hunter on the wing.

What had me happy about last weeks game was 1) getting the job done when needed to, and 2) for Jamarra to not just kick some easy regulation goals, but quality/crucial goals and not have a flop of a 2nd game as he has now exhibited the potential that we can now run with. Last night, huge to still stay involved in the 4th Quarter lead ups, contrast to his debut gassed on the bench as we lost. Barely any touches but some telling tackling intensity and that shepherd for Hunter for Hannan’s second was great signs.

Many have pointed critique to Weightman going for Mark of the Year every contest and while in many cases it’s warranted, I see it as the reason/his way he doesnt lose many contests no matter the size of the opposition and bounces up straight away for the groundball scrap; last night we saw him take a serious contender and what a highlight to watch for the remainder of the year.

CD seriously set the tone early and arguably the catalyst in the first half for the win; side note, he has now proven himself as an odd center bounce inclusion and could be good for 1/2 a game when the others are back for a different look.

Cordy has been heavily mentioned in the last few weeks which has been fair enough as he had been found wanting way too much but last night was one of those games where he shows his quality as a 3rd tall or not asked to man a quality KPF. Could a Schache at CHB seriously become something not just for Schack himself, but the defensive unit around?

Comparisons have been made for Garcia and whilst at first I 100% likened him to Clay Smith Mk II but quicker, others that said Dahl/Clay hybrid are spot on. Literally fearless at the contest/will die for it but currently has a few disposal yips where he reactively jumps and gives an odd handball, something I’m sure we can get tidied up with more experience. We can marvel at Macrae/Libba’s hands to setup Bont’s 2nd but it starts with Garcia not losing his bundle in the presence of Oliver and lands the perfect tackle without getting him high.

Difficult without anyone at the ground to give the”live” observation but this seemed one of those reinvented Johanissen games where he really wasn’t sighted, but hey, Salem was a null factor and would imagine he was a big part of that. Also good 2 crucial goal game last week and keeping his direct opponent accountable, go well JJ.

Lastly, Hannan, last night was also for you as much as Smith. Started his return to the kennel with numerous Almost Games justified through “Role playing” but last night, neutralised crucial contests and got 2 goals on the board. One of those games that swings the perception of our “depth” back to the optimistic side instead of the doom and gloom.

Have a great week guys, ecstatic for the win for the exact same reasons as last (Getting the win in whatever way, Bont 3 votes, Jamarra being involved) but even better because lol Melbourne and the higher stakes.
Also forgot to mention which was front of mind last night, one of the small factors to us winning was Bailey Smith having a left foot; he will/should never be dropped unless he completely falls off a cliff in quality.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also forgot to mention which was front of mind last night, one of the small factors to us winning was Bailey Smith having a left foot; he will/should never be dropped unless he completely falls off a cliff in quality.

Where Naughton and Jamarra are the future of our forward line, Smith is the future of our midfield. For still being 20 he is exceptional.

🤬🤬🤬🤬WTF is wrong with some people hoping one of our players to get injuried.

It's not like Schache is a bad dude, talented but just hasn't found his place yet.
Go support another club.
I'm sure some will agree with your sentiments.

Now everyone, let's move on. I don't want us to end up bullying the person who made the post.

Discussion on this subject is now closed.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Hey Crazy Dog are you a Central/South American lad?
If so what made you choose the doggies as your team, just interested in seeing what about the dogs appeals to people moving to Aus.
When I arrived in Australia I went for Hawthorn but was not all that keen on them. Just barracked for them because they were good. I used to like giving my school friends the shits. :) Then I met the missus and her dad had played with Teddy. So I moved to Footscray in 1985 and thought I have to barrack for the local club. plus the missus put a lot of pressure. now I am a crazy mad bastard who barracks for the dogs. More biased than her family all put together. love the fact that it is the local club. My daughters both barrack for the doggies. so now it is the bulldogs or nothing. so there. that is my kind of short explanation. also I always like going to popular sport. I have a group of mates that go each week. we call ourselves the aisle 22.5. bunch of crazy loveable old blokes. really funny going to the footy. also, for me going to the footy is cheaper than seeing a psychiatrist. :)

Back