Autopsy Dogs defeat the Saints. Tell Norm how we did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was Charlie Curnow that put in some of the efforts Fergy Greene did on Saturday night the commentators would have lost their marbles.
Loving Spidey, seems to show some real signs. Needs another pre-season or two but finding the ball forward of the ball in our team is no mean feat.

Loving Spidey, seems to show some real signs. Needs another pre-season or two but finding the ball forward of the ball in our team is no mean feat.
He has very good positioning in the forward contest, especially for long balls in his vicinity. But what I loved most was the chase down tackle he laid in the second quarter (I think). Is a natural forward and oozes x-factor.

Watched the third qtr again and sheesh the Saints were spiritless incompetent witches hats. Setting that aside it was a microcosm of our season and where we are at:

- Rough goes off injured, comes back
- Dunkley, Wallis in space unable to hit a simple target but were still valuable
- Bont carried us and kicked four but really were opportunist goals and weren't dazzling plays as such
- only one really clean bit of fwd craft kick/mark play where Crozier accurately spotted up Schache
- most goals were scrambled from general play, no real marking presence fwd
- Jong did some ok things but his first touch of qtr summed up his career. Simple give and go, but fumbles the handball receive, puts himself under pressure, panics and shins it fwd for an easy Saints clearance
- JJ was allowed to do what he liked and accordingly was devastating
- hunter stopped and propped multiple times and refused to kick over 25m
- good signs from younger blokes like Lipi, Naughton and Greene.
- Macrae racked up possies but many were in the back half.

Even I was surprised at how bad the Saints are. And I really dont rate the Saints.

A good win but our ball use and fwd play needs to improve. Its often such hard work to get a goal.

The move back to Moorabbin?

They're in a tough spot. Their better players are tough grinders who can butcher the ball, so the lack class on every line and to top it off their last two top 3 picks (McCartin and Billings) look like busts, or solid role players at best. Billings is an excellent field kick but woeful kick for goal, McCartin just doesn't look anything like the gun KPF of his junior days.

I like Clark and Coffield, if Coffield can transition to midfield it would add some real quality ball use in there but that's a couple of years away. I suspect they go for a quality ball using mid at the upcoming draft, perhaps Smith.
I think it just really unfortunate (and this is what free agency is doing) that they can’t attract guns right now. As I said earlier, I think the role players are definitely there at the Saints and they seem to have a pretty good spread/depth of B grade talent but there’s just no stars.

It’s sounds very obvious but if you added a Lynch and a Sloane straight away, they’d improve out of sight.

I think it just really unfortunate (and this is what free agency is doing) that they can’t attract guns right now. As I said earlier, I think the role players are definitely there at the Saints and they seem to have a pretty good spread/depth of B grade talent but there’s just no stars.

It’s sounds very obvious but if you added a Lynch and a Sloane straight away, they’d improve out of sight.

How can you feel sorry for them though. They've had low draft picks galore (Billings, McCartin, Dunstan, Ross now Clark, Coffield and pick 4 this year) but nothing to show for it.

They just need to get their recruiting right.

How can you feel sorry for them though. They've had low draft picks galore (Billings, McCartin, Dunstan, Ross now Clark, Coffield and pick 4 this year) but nothing to show for it.

They just need to get their recruiting right.
St Kilda are without doubt my most hated side, so seeing them at the bottom is always a good feeling for me. But I feel the system is wrong for sides in them hopeless positions and know what they need (with the cash) yet they can’t go and do it.

St Kilda are without doubt my most hated side, so seeing them at the bottom is always a good feeling for me. But I feel the system is wrong for sides in them hopeless positions and know what they need (with the cash) yet they can’t go and do it.
Why, may I ask? Surely Carlton and GWS deserve more contempt, even if one of them is less relevant than the Saints right now.

In the long run the Saints are in a similar survival space to us (and Norf, maybe Melbourne too) so I cut them a bit of slack, although I realise it makes us competitors off the field as well as on it.

There but for fortune ...

Why, may I ask? Surely Carlton and GWS deserve more contempt, even if one of them is less relevant than the Saints right now.

In the long run the Saints are in a similar survival space to us (and Norf, maybe Melbourne too) so I cut them a bit of slack, although I realise it makes us competitors off the field as well as on it.

God, how fortunate and blessed are we. :bulldogs: :trophy:

*not calling you God, just for emphasis :D

God, how fortunate and blessed are we. :bulldogs: :trophy:

*not calling you God, just for emphasis :D
Thank Dog for that. I'm a solipsistic atheist and would be having an existential crisis if you did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope Tory plays next year but if Greene keeps his trajectory up, Tory will struggle to get a game.

Likewise Naughton and Cordy stepping up may mean Moz won’t have play much- especially if Adams stays fit.

And what about Roughy and Jong if English, Lipinski, Williams and Lynch get better.

I can selection getting really tricky next year.
Agreed. But I thought we'd have selection issues this year! Hopefully we get a better run with injuries in 2019. Should be a focus area in the off-season if not already.

Hoping moz stays on even if just for 5-10 afl games with Cordy, Adams and Naughton, possibly the rest teaching Young, Lynch and others in the twos.

Jong actually seemed (relatively)...sharp? He stuck predominantly to handballs, made the right choices, had some nice dash and none of his fumbles that he's known for. Was pleasantly surprised, particularly considering it was a straight-in return from injury.
Reckon jong was OK too. Normally not a fan but a step up on honey... decent marking option and quicker. Had to look away when he had that set shot. Pleased to see him nail it. Imo he's depth with a full list but played the role needed on the wkend. The better teams seem to expose his deficiencies.

St Kilda have always annoyed me. Just a nothing club. A few of their flog supporters circa 2009 tipped me over the edge, though.

Coaches' votes St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs

Votes Player (Club)

10 Jason Johannisen (WB)
8 Jack Macrae (WB)
4 Sebastian Ross (STK)
4 Josh Dunkley (WB)
2 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
2 Lachie Hunter (WB)

So my guess is they went:
Richardson 5 -JJ, 4 - Macrae, 3 - Ross, 2 - Hunter/Bont, 1 Dunks
Beveridge 5 - JJ, 4 Macrae, 3 Dunkley, 2 - Hunter/Bont, 1 Ross

Coaches' votes St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs