Autopsy Dogs defeat the Saints. Tell Norm how we did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trengove needs to play as our first ruck every game until English is ready

Probably the big picture takeaway from the last part of the season. If the right balance is a ruckman and a key forward/ruck, it comes down to English v Boyd for the forward/ruck role.

Being at least competitive in the ruck (let’s see how Trengove goes against Goldy) is a massive help to our mids.

Biggest surprise for me is that they followed up their highest scoring quarter with another one.
And kept a side goalless in the process after we copped similar treatment early in the game

Surprising turnaround after it looked like Ross would do a 2015 Armitage/Steven and win the game off his own boot

Great cameo from Bont, although fair to say the great man was due!

Most pleasing was that Dickson seemingly got through unscathed.

I don’t like Trengove’s lack of pace in the backline but I’ve got no issues with him playing ruck.

Found myself wondering last night how Schache’s development would be going if we still had Stringer. I think having no other real key forward is fast tracking him. Reality is he has already shown more than Boyd up forward (I know Boyd has been in the ruck)

Well, credit where it’s due that was a good one. Saints were rubbish and terribly coached but the boys piled it on in the second and third quarters.

A decent performance against north and a win against the blues will leave a better taste in the mouth for this year. Pick a good one in the draft and get everyone rehabbed and we’ll all be optimistic again next year.

Schache is going to be a gun imo. History will look kindly on that trade period, even if Stringer works out at the bombers.

Great to see Ling Jong back and having an impact, well supported by his family.
37919849_645101619197469_8730870009628196864_n.jpg

Q1- 0 x Goals, 5 x Behinds = 5 Points.
Q2- 6 x Goals, 1 x Behind = 37 Points.
Q3- 8 x Goals, 6 x Behinds = 54 Points.
Q4- 1 x Goal, 1 x Behind = 7 Points.

So 12 points in two quarters and 91 points in the other two quarters.

In the words of Pauline Hanson, please explain.

If someone has the answer please help as I am going a bit Ken Bruce.

Q1- 0 x Goals, 5 x Behinds = 5 Points.
Q2- 6 x Goals, 1 x Behind = 37 Points.
Q3- 8 x Goals, 6 x Behinds = 54 Points.
Q4- 1 x Goal, 1 x Behind = 7 Points.

So 12 points in two quarters and 91 points in the other two quarters.

In the words of Pauline Hanson, please explain.

If someone has the answer please help as I am going a bit Ken Bruce.

The best ads of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and I think y'all better eat your words about JJ, only a few days after my post.
Who needs to eat which words?
He’s a talented player who has been bloody awful lately. Last night we saw what he’s capable of. A rampaging JJ is a joy to behold. Surely it’s not out of line to want more of this JJ and less of the shrinking violet.

Very pleased to see a win and plenty of goals.

We still only put in two good quarters. Fortunately, the Saints were appalling for three quarters.

The team looked way more balanced when attacking without the concentration of key defenders. Naughton and Cordy are capable and, for better or worse, I'd like to see one of them get the job on Ben Brown this week (knowing Moz is there in case of emergency). I don't really care if Brown kicks a bag on one of them, they need the reps.

Naughton is particularly exciting because he has the ability to lock down a forward and attack the ball in the air.

The concern with the defence was the frequency at which the Saints were able to exploit our defensive set up in transition from our F50 (mostly in the first half) to have 2-4 forwards streaming inside their 50 with only 1-2 of our defenders. If the Saints, as terrible as they were, were able to generate these situations, it tells me that our defensive structure when the ball is in our F50 needs a serious look.

Dunkley was hard at it and prolific for the sixth week straight. He's been the shining light of the second half of the season for me. He's added a harder defensive element to our midfield. I hope he can carry this over to next year when we have a fit Libba back.

JJ (particularly) and Crozier were obviously very damaging off of half back. The question is how do we ensure that's a consistent occurrence? How do we discourage teams from putting a hard tag on JJ, or help free him up if one comes his way?

Greene and Lipinski were effective as half forward targets. Lipinksi reminds me a bit of Gia, a solid contributor that can do some nice things forward of centre and has a nose for goal. Greene seems more of an undersized CHF. Greene, Schache, Gowers and Boyd is a solid (extremely young) set of marking options, but they really need some zip around them. It's a shame Lipinski isn't quicker.

Another 3 goals for Schache. He's such a consistent player week to week. Consistency is so important to a forward line.

I had low expectations, but nevertheless I was pleased with Jong's and Dickson's games.

HOW GOOD'S A WIN!

He was solid. Very few errors (howlers anyway) and his hardness was there and noticeable. Kicked straight for goal when we really needed someone to as well.
He also took 2-3 important marks in the midfield transitions. I know they were uncontested but from memory they were at full stretch so not easy. Anyone with less sure hands or less reach might drop those and then it's an easy St Kilda goal from the turnover.

Just little things, but they help. He still looked a bit unsure where to go in the play-on situations but I'd have a fit Jong in the side any day over our other favourite whipping boy, Honeychurch. His contract is up for renewal - I won't be disappointed if we retain him next year.

He also took 2-3 important marks in the midfield transitions. I know they were uncontested but from memory they were at full stretch so not easy. Anyone with less sure hands or less reach might drop those and then it's an easy St Kilda goal from the turnover.

Just little things, but they help. He still looked a bit unsure where to go in the play-on situations but I'd have a fit Jong in the side any day over our other favourite whipping boy, Honeychurch. His contract is up for renewal - I won't be disappointed if we retain him next year.
His role looked a little different yesterday.

I don't recall him attending a single centre bounce. Instead he was on the wing edge of the square at CBs. (the bomber guy who does the centre bounce analysis will have the numbers later I presume). At stoppages also he was on the outside.

I don't ever recall him running and bouncing the ball either. The bouncing part especially. Did so 3 times that I can remember yesterday. (That first bounce was heart in mouth:p...it nearly didn't come back).

Not sure what conclusions to draw from this. Was he a bit rusty/sore and they were giving him some protection from the hard inside stuff - saving it for norf next week. Or, are they exploring ways to use his speed in more open space. His disposal was pretty good and he did one beautifully weighted centering kick to split 2 defenders and pick our guy out in the corridor.

He also smacked Bont fair on the schnozz with one rocket handball at close range:p but he's allowed one of those a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back