Review Dogs discombobulate Cats 103-101 - Rd 15, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Schache markedly different offensively and defensively. Defensively he was very poor. Hopefully it is just a fitness issue but offers little to no tackle or chasing pressure.
Will be a cream on top footballer.

Super soft but he has excellent skills and speed for his size. He basically jogs at 20% intensity when defending or not near the football.

Lead up CHFs who kick the ball like he does are hard to find. Lots to improve on, but we’re starting to see the building blocks.

He and another key forward (whether that’s Boyd or not) could definitely co-exist forward.

Having fallen off the Schache bandwagon, I am now starting to see what he offers. He's got a bit of tank and is mobile for his size. He's not a pack marking beast but has useful hands and can use his size and mobility to get easy separation on leads. He has sure hands below the knees, very important. And is a decent kick, he can confidently take shots with the mark at the 50m arc. That is pretty good.

You would liken him more to Nick Riewoldt than to Wayne Carey. He only has to be about 67% as good as Reiwoldt to be a decent long term CHF. He is probably a much better kick than Riewoldt ever was.

Great publicity for Gowers. Deserves it. But won't be flying under the radar for much longer. It will be a challenge for him to deal with that attention on the field.

Just enjoying the highlights replays.

A question for all of you who may have watched the Channel Bruce coverage:

Which player has lots of tricks?

We obviously got away with a deserved win but Bevo still needs to point out and rectify our set up difficiencies in these crucial close finishes.

Yes Gowers should have known to tackle Selduck low and Lipinski should have covered the fat side wing but we can put that down to inexperienced players being under pressure.

When there is 31 seconds to go and a centre square stoppage, we have dropped players back but we set up with mismatches in defence is just inexcusable.

Smith standing on Harry Taylor when Naughton is alone 5 meters away is bad organisation by the backline.

I would expect in that 10 seconds before the last centre bounce that the experience of Morris Trengrove or even Adams down there would have addressed this and told Naughton to swap with Smith on Taylor.

If this happened i’m almost sure that Taylor doesn’t take the mark.
If you're playing spares it actually makes more sense to have Roarke 1 on 1 with Naughton as the loose.

Channel Bruce: did anyone notice he is on first name terms with stacks of the Geebong players, but with none of ours?

With us, it was Bontempelli, Boyd, Dahlhaus.

With them it was Gary, Paddy, Joel.

To be truthful, Bruce, I don't want you getting close to our players.

Umm please explain why ? Because if so then how was Taylor allowed to take that mark ?
There's a reason good footballers typically play as the loose. Not because they are poor at defending, but because they can defend better while loose. When you have 10 players inside 50, your high quality ball readers, better marks, jumpers and spoilers will be the loose players. When it's that crowded if you're in the right places match ups don't matter.
The issue wasn't who was on who, it was where people were standing.

Not having a go at him, cause he’s been one of our best this year, but does Suckling make us too slow? He’s missed the last two weeks, yet we’ve had more run and scored a lot better. Thoughts?

Not having a go at him, cause he’s been one of our best this year, but does Suckling make us too slow? He’s missed the last two weeks, yet we’ve had more run and scored a lot better. Thoughts?

Call me stupid but Ive got one of our best players this yr ahead of the likes of R Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a reason good footballers typically play as the loose. Not because they are poor at defending, but because they can defend better while loose. When you have 10 players inside 50, your high quality ball readers, better marks, jumpers and spoilers will be the loose players. When it's that crowded if you're in the right places match ups don't matter.
The issue wasn't who was on who, it was where people were standing.
I think we’ll agree to disagree on this one as Naughtons extra 4 inches in height over Smith would have made a difference in spoiling.

So wouldn't you want him in a position where he's more likely to spoil? Being one on one limits his likelihood of being in a contest.
True I see your point but when I look at the replay of the Taylor mark Smith was in front but was too small hence a mismatch and so my thinking is basic common sense in a crucial time so match up a player with the same height build etc..
In the end all good Taylor’s a dud and sprayed the kick.

True I see your point but when I look at the replay of the Taylor mark Smith was in front but was too small hence a mismatch and so my thinking is basic common sense in a crucial time so match up a player with the same height build etc..
In the end all good Taylor’s a dud and sprayed the kick.
And I think that's due to positioning. Really two or three others should have been crunching that pack.

And thank * he did!!

And a win with two players over 25 against a top eight team. It blows me away how much garbage this board cops when we have a few losses. Sure, from a handful only. But I don't understand why it's allowed. There were 25 of 223 posts from one poster in a post game thread after a recent loss (1 in 9). The ignore function isn't effective at that frequency. And just two in this thread from the same person after a win (to this point at least). Says a lot.

I'm all for alternative opinion. And I don't disagree with some of the points that get made. But to keep repeating the same criticism without adding anything positive or new, over and over and over, as if this forum pulls the strings of the club's board and coaching panel, is just insane. Anyhow, my point is made. What a bloody good win. As beveridge said, team defining.

Underrated post. More than a few decent posters no longer contribute due to this specific issue. Sad.

How could Suckling make us slow when he is faster than 75% of our team? He also kicks the ball twice the distance of most which means that we move the ball a lot faster. Some of the s**t I read on here...

Maybe Macrae was the one holding us back? We are playing a lot better without him!

FMD

Maybe Macrae was the one holding us back? We are playing a lot better without him!

I agree. We've looked 10 times quicker and better without him. Would we get first round compensation for him? Strong draft but surely GC or Carlton would be interested so maybe a pick upgrade. We're getting West anyway.

And a win with two players over 25 against a top eight team. It blows me away how much garbage this board cops when we have a few losses. Sure, from a handful only. But I don't understand why it's allowed. There were 25 of 223 posts from one poster in a post game thread after a recent loss (1 in 9). The ignore function isn't effective at that frequency. And just two in this thread from the same person after a win (to this point at least). Says a lot.

I'm all for alternative opinion. And I don't disagree with some of the points that get made. But to keep repeating the same criticism without adding anything positive or new, over and over and over, as if this forum pulls the strings of the club's board and coaching panel, is just insane. Anyhow, my point is made. What a bloody good win. As beveridge said, team defining.

Lol taking about me are you?

A FEW losses???? It blows me away the shite some people speak in here about others.

I actually made about 8-12 posts that were elected because I got attacked by 3 posters who said I’m never here when we win. Laughable because I always am and we have hardly won many games in 12 months for anyone to be here onky when we win.

No one says A word that I’ve been screaming to play all the kids all year but I guess that doesn’t suit your narrative for it. Why not ???

Taking easy “likes” when we win might help you puff the chest out but we have had the same issues for 12 months and talking positive hasn’t helped change a single one of them.

Friday was a great win I was very proud of the boys but let’s hope we don’t go back to exposed form or you may be offended again by the reality of our club if they do and then you can rally the Ls and help you get to the next win where you can say “we’re back everyone that said we weren’t is wrong” hahahahaha

I love the people in here they are so hypocritical and weak to pounce on the realists in here after ANY win.

I agree. We've looked 10 times quicker and better without him. Would we get first round compensation for him? Strong draft but surely GC or Carlton would be interested so maybe a pick upgrade. We're getting West anyway.

He's under contract so there wouldn't be "compensation", a club would have to trade for him. He's worth two first rounders minimum and probably more. He will do well at the right club, just sucks he doesn't suit our new gameplan.

He's under contract so there wouldn't be "compensation", a club would have to trade for him. He's worth two first rounders minimum and probably more. He will do well at the right club, just sucks he doesn't suit our new gameplan.
He'll always be a premiership player and I'll never forget what he did for us that special October day.

we are zero chance of finals but nice slap from a bitter cats flog:

. Western Bulldogs
20 points (five wins, nine losses), 76.7 per cent
The Dogs mathematically kept their slimmest of finals hopes alive by knocking off Geelong, albeit after Cat Harry Taylor missed a shot after the siren. Luke Beveridge’s men also have a paltry percentage so they don't want many more close margins. Who are we kidding? Have a look at their next month of opponents. – Ben Collins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back