Review Dogs Discombobulate the Plastics 126 - 65

Remove this Banner Ad

The scientific basis of the "Caleb Daniel" points conceded conundrum.

Geelong: (Lowest Points Conceded) 1,401 or 66.71 per game.

Dogs sans Daniel:
Round 16: versus Melb conceded 66 points
Round 17: versus Geel conceded 55 points
Round 21: versus Ess conceded 33 points
Round 22: versus GWS conceded 65 points
Total conceded: 219 Points or 54.75 per game.

Now is it just coincidence are we just hot at the moment did man walk on the moon or is it just FACTS AND
STATS the truth is out there.
So Yojimbo what you are saying is:

Season: 21 games, 1723 points conceded, 82.05 per game
With CD: 17 games, 1504 points conceded, 88.47 per game
Sans CD: 4 games, 219 points conceded, 54.75 per game

I can't see a pattern at all buddy, you are clutching at straws drawing a fairly long bow.

So Yojimbo what you are saying is:

Season: 21 games, 1723 points conceded, 82.05 per game
With CD: 17 games, 1504 points conceded, 88.47 per game
Sans CD: 4 games, 219 points conceded, 54.75 per game

I can't see a pattern at all buddy, you are clutching at straws drawing a fairly long bow.

You’d make a good stats man for one of the radio stations Yojimbo. Reeling out stats from the back of the booth Ash Chua style.
Have you looked in to it Yojimbo ?

Proof that whilst stats are facts, they are often not directly related to the end result.

CB has his opinion on Caleb which is he is a critical player in our back line. He is not wrong I just have a differing opinion in that our results, ie wins and losses have no evidence at all to show Caleb is critical to our backline structure.

That is not to say I do not rate him, I do quite highly, and not to say I do not think he is in our best 22, I believe he is.

On the weekend or in this game, which started our discussion our backline including connections from our backline worked perfectly fine without him, therefore I believe the results of games prove he is not critical to our backline.

We have a few critical players, that if out we would really struggle to beat top teams. Caleb is not one of them.

I think there may be some confusion around what I’ve said regarding CD. I don’t think I’ve said he’s critical and we don’t function without him. I’m merely defending his position in the side and pointing out the fact he’s our most productive rebounding defender. Not only that, he’s the most productive rebounding defender in the whole comp.
If it was Naughton who was missing the last 4 weeks, would we not want him in the side because we’ve kicked higher scores than previous games that he’s played in ?
It’s such a shallow view on the game.

Edit : The Naughton bit is directed at the scores against crew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would think a few would be pretty underdone missing so much foooty ?

Reminds me of 2016 for us. We rolled the dice big time in fame vs West Coast. We had inclusions that I would say would have been underdone.

The rest is history.

Is Haynes the most liked non-bulldog on here??

Who would the other candidates be?

I love sonny Walters and luke Breust.

I honestly can't stand Walters. Actually been paying a bit of attention to him this year and I reckon he's the worst diver/stager in the comp right now. When you notice how much he does it, it's actually mind blowing. Umps seem to know about it too but still get sucked in maybe 10% of the time.

Is Haynes the most liked non-bulldog on here??

Who would the other candidates be?

I love sonny Walters and luke Breust.
Here's a few in addition to Haynes:
Robbie Gray
Wines
Coniglio
Ward
Josh Kelly
Betts (a bit past it now)
Stephen Hill (ditto)
Brodie Grundy
Jack Riewoldt
Heeney
Rampe
both Josh Kennedys.

I suppose I like classy players who play for the team, go about their work efficiently and elegantly with a minimum of fuss.

But that doesn't really explain Betts and maybe Riewoldt.
Maybe it's just a bit of the wow factor there. Like Buddy Franklin used to be.

Robbie Gray
Wines
Coniglio
Ward
Josh Kelly
Stephen Hill (ditto)
Brodie Grundy
Jack Riewoldt
Heeney
Rampe
both Josh Kennedys.

I suppose I like classy players who play for the team, go about their work efficiently and elegantly with a minimum of fuss.

Always had a lot of time for Kade Simpson too.

I think there may be some confusion around what I’ve said regarding CD. I don’t think I’ve said he’s critical and we don’t function without him. I’m merely defending his position in the side and pointing out the fact he’s our most productive rebounding defender. Not only that, he’s the most productive rebounding defender in the whole comp.
If it was Naughton who was missing the last 4 weeks, would we not want him in the side because we’ve kicked higher scores than previous games that he’s played in ?
It’s such a shallow view on the game.

Edit : The Naughton bit is directed at the scores against crew
Out of the top 100 players ranked by average disposal in the AFL, Caleb Daniel has the 7th best effective disposal rate. He begins the 3rd most disposal chains that result in a score of any defender in the league.

He is ranked ELITE across the league for a defender in the following categories:
disposals
handballs
kicks
rebound 50s
effective kicks
effective disposals
tackles
score involvements
score launches

He is above average for a defender in the following categories:
intercept possessions
ground ball gets
inside 50s
meters gained
clearances
pressure acts

Last edited:
Robbie Gray
Wines
Coniglio
Ward
Josh Kelly
Stephen Hill (ditto)
Brodie Grundy
Jack Riewoldt
Heeney
Rampe
both Josh Kennedys.

Big agree on Gray, Kelly, Ward, Grundy.

Also a big fan of Fyfe, Cripps, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Shane Edwards, Charlie Cameron and Kade Simpson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back