Autopsy Dogs discombombulated by Mt Buller - 115 to 65

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else notice continually line up with Baker (right footer) and Scott (left footer) on the wrong wings? Literally a simple swap is all that is required. As a winger your preferred foot should be on the outside, that way you can roll and go. We cost ourselves time by our wingers having to cut back inside every time they get the ball… Obviously if you have two players of the same dexterity on the wings one will be on the wrong side, but when it is glaringly obvious like that it is very frustrating.
The problems not what side of the ground they line up on. It's that they seen as the best options we have in a position that is the cornerstone of todays game. Given how one paced our midfield can be, I'd rather re-jig our defence and roll Richards and Dale through there. However, we will no doubt continue to just use guys who are around the last handful of players picked in the 23. Its a position that we should be prioritising not using to make up the numbers.

I have absolutely no intention in discussing anything political because of these sort of reactions. I reckon we as a club do ourselves a disservice when the board distracts itself on such political rubbish because we all have different views. Our board has definitely taken its eyes off its core purpose.
Given this is an autopsy thread directly related to last nights game and you're the one who introduced the the political angle.

Tell me how any of this has relevance to the game at hand?

Marra was shithouse Lever killed him all night but Lobb at least competed
Marra needs to be better, youve got to take that chestmark, shield it with your body, dropped 2 on the night, looked lacklustre chasing, he's the one id drop for another mid size or small forward.

Marra needs to be better, youve got to take that chestmark, shield it with your body, dropped 2 on the night, looked lacklustre chasing, he's the one id drop for another mid size or small forward.
He was poor for sure but Darcy is the easiest one to drop an absolute liability at the moment if he doesn't mark it

Missed a couple of snaps on goal too. Weren’t simple ones, but you’d expect someone of his ability to kick them

The problems not what side of the ground they line up on. It's that they seen as the best options we have in a position that is the cornerstone of todays game. Given how one paced our midfield can be, I'd rather re-jig our defence and roll Richards and Dale through there. However, we will no doubt continue to just use guys who are around the last handful of players picked in the 23. Its a position that we should be prioritising not using to make up the numbers.

Not sure those two players were our worst last night, Scott in fact one of our best. Most clubs don’t have superstar players on the wings. Often it is lower picks or re-invented players. Think you will find the wing position is made easier for the players who play it when you have a good system. We don’t.

Captain had a simple set shot to give us all the momentum after that but it went exactly as everyone expected
Bont misses too many easy ones, maybe should try snapping thoses.

a pretty underwhelming game form the captain.

Given this is an autopsy thread directly related to last nights game and you're the one who introduced the the political angle.

Tell me how any of this has relevance to the game at hand?
Because the board resigned our coach, before seeing what we are like yet. He is stubborn and a bully and the board is responsible for such decisions. The board has been distracted and negligent.

Not sure those two players were our worst last night, Scott in fact one of our best. Most clubs don’t have superstar players on the wings. Often it is lower picks or re-invented players. Think you will find the wing position is made easier for the players who play it when you have a good system. We don’t.
Yeah Langdon and Hunter really didn't do much last night and Scott certainly wasn't one of our issues

one of the trademearks of Bevo's teams pre 2021 granny was that we nearly always pulsed when a side came at us or got a run on. that pulse is gone

Agree on Bont was very disappointed with him last night never seen him miss so many simple targets like he did early in the game
A lot of that down to the opposition. They put a lot of work into pressuring/negating him, knowing we have no one to fill the gap.

The set shot miss is pretty standard though. The only one that stands out that he nailed was versus West Coast early in his captaincy in that thriller at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FMD. Ya think?

What are you going to do to fix it eh? Guessing it'll be something involving McComb.

View attachment 1633508

He hopes it's a blip.

I am going to ask the punk nuns to get down on their knees and start praying & forget the singing.

I also prescibe 5 Our Fathers & 10 Hail Mary's for each of the playing group.

A lot of that down to the opposition. They put a lot of work into pressuring/negating him, knowing we have no one to fill the gap.

The set shot miss is pretty standard though. The only one that stands out that he nailed was versus West Coast early in his captaincy in that thriller at Marvel.
It wasn't though there was one where he was 15m clear running down the middle of the ground and kicked it 5m short of a leading Naughton

Apologies for the lateness of the stats folks.

Just some staggering numbers from that 10 minute stretch in the 2nd quarter...

Q2 20' - Q2 30'

Disposals

WB: 4
ME: 17

Clearances
WB: 0
MEL: 5

Score
WB: 0.1 (1)
MEL: 5.0 (30)

Ranking Points
WB: 9
MEL: 148

A few things to note...

Melbourne scored 12.6 (78) from D50 chains to our 3.4 (22).

We had 6 of 7 lowest ranked players on the ground.

Our lowest-pressure game in some time (full pressure stats below)

Now as always…

Centre Bounce Attendance

27 - English
21 - Liberatore
20 - Bontempelli
18 - Macrae
16 - B. Smith
12 - Treloar
1 - Darcy, Lobb

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
62 - English (22/6/8)
9 - Lobb (3/1/0)
5 - Naughton (1/0/0)
4 - Darcy (1/0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 7
ME: 12

English v Gawn (33 contests)
Hitouts: 7 / 19
To Advantage: 1 / 7
Clearances: 13 / 14
Score: 0.0 (0) / 2.1 (13)

English v Grundy (21 contests)
Hitouts: 9 / 8
To Advantage: 3 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 10
Score: 0.1 (1) / 2.1 (13)

Lobb v Grundy (5 contests)
Hitouts: 1 / 3
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 5 / 0
Score: 1.0 (6) / 0.0 (0)

Lobb v Gawn (0 contests)
Hitouts: 0 / 0
To Advantage: 0 / 0
Clearances: 0 / 0
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 40
ME: 32

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 37 / 27
ME: 30 / 25

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 62%
ME: 66%

Smothers
WB: 9

ME: 14

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 49%
ME: 64%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 60%
ME: 77%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 4
ME: 2

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 5
ME: 0

Score Launches
3 - Daniel, English
2 - Liberatore, Naughton, Richards, Treloar
1 - Bontempelli, Bruce, Dale, Lobb, Scott, Williams

Targets Inside 50

14 - No target/rushed
12 - Naughton
5 - Lobb, Ugle-Hagan
4 - Scott
2 - Darcy, McLean
1 - Hannan

Inside 50 Retention
WB: 44%
ME: 58%

Shots At Goal
WB: 21 (43%)
ME: 30 (57%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Melbourne)
Set Shot: 3.5 / 8.7
Snap: 3.3 / 4.2
On Run: 2.1 / 1.1
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 4.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 4.1
15M-30M: 2.3 / 5.2
31M-40M: 1.3 / 5.3
41M-50M: 4.2 / 2.4
51M+: 1.1 / 1.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.2 / 2.0
Scores In Time-On: 2.4 / 9.5

Score Assists
3 - Liberatore, Scott
1 - English, Macrae, Naughton, Richards, B. Smith, Treloar

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 21
ME: 27

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 7

ME: 12

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 26
ME: 20

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 55
ME: 55

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 18
ME: 16

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Daniel
2 - Baker, English, Macrae
1 - Bruce, Dale, Duryea, Jones, Keath, Richards, B. Smith, Treloar Ugle-Hagan

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 6

ME: 4

Turnovers Penalties Punished By Goals
2 - Liberatore
1 - Daniel, English, Macrae, Naughton, Richards, Scott, B. Smith, Treloar, Ugle-Hagan

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
134 - English
131 - Treloar
117 - Liberatore
107 - Bontemelli
106 - Richards
105 - Macrae
99 - Daniel
96 - Scott
76 - B. Smith
70 - Naughton
59 - Williams
56 - Dale
50 - Bruce
42 - Baker
41 - Duryea
41 - Keath
36 - Johannisen
34 - Lobb
29 - Ugle-Hagen
28 - Darcy
21 - McLean
18 - Hannan
5 - L. Jones

AFL Player Rating Points
23.7 - Richards
18.3 - Liberatore
17.7 - English
16.4 - Bontempelli
14.0 - Macrae
13.7 - Daniel
12.6 - Scott
10.7 - Treloar
10.1 - Dale
8.8 - B. Smith
8.3 - Naughton
6.9 - Lobb
6.8 - Williams
5.9 - Baker
5.6 - Duryea
5.5 - Johannisen
4.0 - Keath
2.6 - Bruce
2.3 - McLean
2.3 - Hanan
-0.8 - L. Jones
-1.0 - Darcy
-6.1 - Ugle-Hagen

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 49%
ME: 51%

Q2
WB: 52%
ME: 48%

Q3
WB: 53%
ME: 47%

Q4
WB: 35%
ME: 65%

Match
WB: 48%
ME: 52%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 175 (Below Average)
ME: 173 (Below Average)

Q2
WB: 184 (Average)
ME: 202 (Elite)

Q3
WB: 169 (Poor)
ME: 196 (Above Average)

Q4
WB: 150 (Poor)
ME: 182 (Average)

Match
WB: 169 (Poor)
ME: 182 (Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
66 - Treloar
51 - Liberatore
44 - Macrae
44 - English
39 - Bontempelli
37 - Daniel
34 - B. Smith
29 - Johannisen
27 - Scott
26 - Richards
26 - Ugle-Hagen
26 - Keath
23 - Williams
23 - Hannan
22 - Naughton
22 - Darcy
21 - Baker
20 - Dale
14 - Duryea
13 - Bruce
12 - Lobb
8 - L. Jones
6 - McLean

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1633322

Score Sources

View attachment 1633323
i cant believe Lobb didnt get a crack at ruck tapping against Gawn, when English got pantsed all night

He kicked three huge goals in the grand final! He also kicked a huge one in the 2016 grand final as well.

Its not really a surprise, given the avalanche of ball that our forwards and mids allowed into our defensive zone.

Because the board resigned our coach, before seeing what we are like yet. He is stubborn and a bully and the board is responsible for such decisions. The board has been distracted and negligent.
Do you honestly believe that the club was so busy making a few token statements that are broadly in-line with the community that they blithely signed off on a decision as impactful as "resigning" a head coach? Time will tell if that was the correct decision, but its ridiculous to say that they did because they were distracted by the things you suggest.

Last edited:
English v Grundy (21 contests)
Hitouts: 9 / 8
To Advantage: 3 / 3
Clearances: 8 / 10
Score: 0.1 (1) / 2.1 (13)

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
134 - English

AFL Player Rating Points
23.7 - Richards
18.3 - Liberatore
17.7 - English
This makes for good reading. English used to hand out 3 Brownlow votes to Grundy like it was candy on Halloween, and instead he just about broke even with him in the ruck. Was quite impressed with his around the ground work, and especially liked that he was at the centre of the biff after the Pickett dog act. Pity he still can't match it with Gawn though, really struggled to get his hand to the ball. Really needed Lobb in the centre when Gawn was. I thought we genuinely intended on having Lobb play a reasonable amount of ruck. If we recruited him as a 90% forward then we've been royally stitched up by Freo

Why can’t Jack Macrae kick anymore? Which vampire has sucked the footballing ability out of Caleb Daniel? Why are we still bombing it to our forward line and why is Naughton still playing from behind? Why do we still crumble when challenged?

Teams know that if they challenge our wings and half backers they are guaranteed to turn the ball over.

I feel sorry for Lobb, nobody kicks it to him even when the kick was on and when it is kicked to him it’s an awful one.

I have absolutely no intention in discussing anything political because of these sort of reactions. I reckon we as a club do ourselves a disservice when the board distracts itself on such political rubbish because we all have different views. Our board has definitely taken its eyes off its core purpose.
For someone who doesn’t want to discuss politics, you certainly bring it up a lot.

Its not really a surprise, given the avalanche of ball that our forwards and mids allowed into our defensive zone.

Do you honestly believe that the club was so busy making a few token statements that are broadly in-line with the community that they blithely signed of on a decision as impactful as "resigning" a head coach? Time will tell if that was the correct decision, but its ridiculous to say that they did because they were distracted by the things you suggest.
The fact they’re wasting their time on such divisive political statements shows they are distracted. And I’ve tried to say each post that depending on your particular political perspective you will say ‘broadly inline’ or way off the mark. Half your members will disagree, so just be neutral and worry about your own people.

did any one else notice that often we neither stay outside 5, nor stand the mark properly. other teams point to the mark and run right onto it so the player has to take a few steps back to kick. we are often called to stand 1-3 metres back from the mark. Bont did it on the wing which helped facilitate their scoring chain during that horror patch. seems a legacy/ habit of not pursuing the position where the mark was taken automatically, and hesitating because we are used to standing outside 5.

geez we looked amateur in so many ways last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back