Review Dogs Downed By Freo: God we are plain and boring. What happened to The Men of Mayhem?

Remove this Banner Ad

All this talk of 'drop X' or 'drop Y' - did anyone see our VFL game?

We can't reward guys who don't perform at VFL level.
The only players I saw remotely making a case for selection were Bailey Dale who fluffed a few kicks (albeit under poor conditions) and Lewie Young who battled. I'd consider Young forward who will likely end up with two touches but may actually help our forward structure:

- Opposition defenders know that if you block Naughton's space we have virtually no contested marking power in the F50
- As a result, our small/medium forwards have to become marking targets
- That means we have 5 guys leading into the remaining F50 space instead of 1-2
- We get congested but can't control the repeat entries because our S/M forwards are focussed on leading, not crumbing.
- Rinse and repeat

Our backline looked much better with another tall down there, our F50 would look the same.
Very true Mofra.

Very concerned with our list now.

Our mids are very one paced and only 50% have decent skills.

We have a dearth of KPD's, no KPF's (Naughton has just started there) no small pressure forwards, no decent mid sized forwards and our rucks are 2 to 3 years away.

Right at the moment there would be lucky to be 20 quality AFL players on our list ( There are a few developing towards this basic goal) and I cannot see this changing anytime soon.

Going to far on the versatility scale looks to have created a very vanilla list that to be honest is no better than North's and we love to bag them apparently

I have taken a few days (about 25) to come to terms with our season. I had my hopes raised by the first 2 rounds - I know we were lucky against Hawthorn but we did dominate the game.
I take heart from a few things:

1. Things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seem. Freo are second on the ladder, they are not much better than us
2. Our spine is still very young. Trengove is the only seasoned AFL standard big body we have in the team. He might not be a world beater but he does offer something - structure. If the damn MC would structure us up better (especially forward)everyone would benefit. This would include our lesser skilled ball users who might find some easy targets to hit going forward every once in a while.
3. We do have some options in reserve to improve team balance. Hunter's ball use is less of an issue if Wallis, Hayes and Dunkley aren't all playing. Players like Dale or Lipinski would improve us in this regard. Hopefully Boyd can get himself fit and allow Naughton to go back. Schache should be given a run of games even if he is poor, I am sure he is a confidence player. If not, play 2 talls up forward. Dickson and Lloyd are too similar. mid size and slow, the balance is wrong, get some speed up there.
4. Find a way to start games on the front foot FFS - why do we always look slow and uninterested until half way through the first quarter?

We can still get a lot from this year.

I will stop now because I am starting to depress myself and question everything I am saying(my inner MD coming out).

I don't understand the vitriol directed towards Hayes.

His first 2 games have been pretty decent, and I think he has shown plenty of potential for further improvement.

I think it's more to do with him being a mature age recruit. His body seems ok but his skills are sub-par and perhaps there is not much room for improvement? Its not like he's some raw 18 yr-old.

Has anyone noticed how that high ball say from 20m-50m that goes into our defense seems to have one too many of our guys committing aerially? We’ve given away plenty of goals this year (and last year) when say 2 of our defenders have met the ball first, punch it back into a dangerous position where the opposition have got a spare on the ground along with a quick defender pressing up and they get a really clean look at goal between them along with sometimes a small that gets out the back of the contest and is closer to goal.

Look I understand why it happens and that Richmond team when firing were excellent at it but it was more when wider on the flanks and Broad/Vlaustin/Grimes etc would just kill it out of bounds or have a midfielder pushing back who could mop it up or at least halve the contest on the ground.

Not saying the intentions are bad or that plan necessarily is wrong but it needs tidying up.

hey folks, I come in peace.
loved English' development & I reckon you've pick a good one in Hayes.
I know a VFL - AFL scout for another club who was raving about him.
I'm sure I'll see a few of you at Sunshine station or at the Filipino store at the Footscray markets.
all the best.

If naughton is allowed to roam and get a little seperation from his opponent, he does OK, but when he is asked to be the long target close to goal - well, that is a tough gig when there is only one of you. For anyone.

You are so right. That's why he was good when Schache or another tall ( Boyd ) are in our forward line.
The problem is we can't seem to kick it to Naughtons advantage so really we should be instructing everyone to kick to Schache or Boyd allowing Naughton to get that separation and run and launch into the packs.

All this talk of 'drop X' or 'drop Y' - did anyone see our VFL game?

We can't reward guys who don't perform at VFL level.
The only players I saw remotely making a case for selection were Bailey Dale who fluffed a few kicks (albeit under poor conditions) and Lewie Young who battled. I'd consider Young forward who will likely end up with two touches but may actually help our forward structure:

- Opposition defenders know that if you block Naughton's space we have virtually no contested marking power in the F50
- As a result, our small/medium forwards have to become marking targets
- That means we have 5 guys leading into the remaining F50 space instead of 1-2
- We get congested but can't control the repeat entries because our S/M forwards are focussed on leading, not crumbing.
- Rinse and repeat

Our backline looked much better with another tall down there, our F50 would look the same.

I can only like this once but with you x100

Boyd was no better yesterday than the willy ruck who is probably a chippy or plumber during the week, and has pots of beer after Thursday night training. Calls for his inclusion are madness. He’s not been set as a key fwd

Preface: Crozier has been excellent at half back.

Would have liked to see him forward this year after we added Duryea to half back. Can mark, kick and pressure. We don’t have a forward that can do all three.

Perhaps one of the other 35 half backs we have can play at half back and we can move Crozier forward.
Crozier struggled up forward for Freo. Half the reason he's been so good for us is the move to half back. Would rather see Duryea up forward if we had to pick between the two

I think it's more to do with him being a mature age recruit. His body seems ok but his skills are sub-par and perhaps there is not much room for improvement? Its not like he's some raw 18 yr-old.

You're probably right regarding the motivation for the criticism. A lot of posters can be quite ageist in their assessments.

I think a lot of posters tend to be too harsh in their expectations for the older guys and too soft for the youngsters.

Imagine the reactions, if Hayes had've played like Lachie Young and vice versa, in the last couple of games.

You're probably right regarding the motivation for the criticism. A lot of posters can be quite ageist in their assessments.

I think a lot of posters tend to be too harsh in their expectations for the older guys and too soft for the youngsters.

Imagine the reactions, if Hayes had've played like Lachie Young and vice versa, in the last couple of games.
Agree. A good example is the votes given in the Ching each week. Young players (like Smith this week) get overrrated but established players (e.g. Bontempelli) become victim of their own high standards of performance.

Crozier struggled up forward for Freo. Half the reason he's been so good for us is the move to half back. Would rather see Duryea up forward if we had to pick between the two

Poo-pooing Crozier and suggesting “never kicked more than 6 goals or averaged more than 2.7 tackles in a season” Duryea as an alternative makes no sense.

Crozier tied for 6th in their goal kicking in a forward line similarly rancid as ours presently, while being one of their best pressure players and a solid contested mark. He’s possibly the best (only) pressure forward on our list.

He’s been great half back. Likely wouldn’t be as good forward, but I’ve no doubt he’d be an improvement on what we’re doing at present.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. A good example is the votes given in the Ching each week. Young players (like Smith this week) get overrrated but established players (e.g. Bontempelli) become victim of their own high standards of performance.
Speaking of votes. Lachie Hunter got 10 coaches votes. So fessing up, Im not getting it but i only watched on tv. Ross gets it, Bevo gets it. He has a big tank and is always a short kick away...and he even kicked a goal this week....but but.
Several on this board attended the game. Do you get it?

Speaking of votes. Lachie Hunter got 10 coaches votes. So fessing up, Im not getting it but i only watched on tv. Ross gets it, Bevo gets it. He has a big tank and is always a short kick away...and he even kicked a goal this week....but but.
Several on this board attended the game. Do you get it?
I like Hunter and understand the importance of his role for the team. I thought his kicking was deplorable at times on the weekend. Are we missing something? I just can’t see how both coaches thought he was the most influential player on the ground.

Haven't read through the posts but my thoughts are we again lost this at the selection table.

Hamling gave Naughton a bath 1st half so Bevo changed it up to give him some confidence in the 3rd an through him back. Good decision apart from the fact he didnt select any other tall forward in the game.
Naughton looked so good the 1st 4 weeks having Schache playing alongside him. Whilst Schache wasn't great his last 2 games and most people on here wanted him dropped he gave us another option and also didn't allow the 2nd tall to just peel off to help the defender on Naughton.

If Schache was playing instead of Dickson or Gowers i think we win that game. Also we aren't doing any damage this year so Schache has to play every game to see what he has. If we are to challenge in the next few years neither of those 2 will be in our team and Schache will hopefully be a main stay.

I want Schache in this week for Gowers and in 2-3 weeks time when Boys has got match fitness i want him in for Trengove. English Boyd Schache and Naughton must play as many games together as possible this year.

What's every ones thoughts?

Schache has shown what he has, not good enough and never will be. You can’t grow courage

I like Hunter and understand the importance of his role for the team. I thought his kicking was deplorable at times on the weekend. Are we missing something? I just can’t see how both coaches thought he was the most influential player on the ground.

Are we out of touch?

No, it's the coaches who are wrong.

Maybe hes like that parable or whatever it is. You know the one where this guy experiencing tough times asks God why did he desert him/where he was during those times coz he can only see 1 set of footprints in the sand. God says i was carrying you.
Is Lachie Hunter God? Serious question!*

*may not be

Wait...Hunter got ten votes? Lachy Hunter, our Hunter? Really?
And Caleb got 3? And Crozier zip?

I'd love to be in match review sometimes, just to see what they see.

Champion Data gets it.

Hunter had the highest ranking points on the ground just ahead of Fyfe and Mundy.

Caleb led up the rest of our players but there is a fair gap to Lachy.
Lachy top in CD and 10 coaches votes with Fyfe next best with CD and one coach thought he was the 5th most influential player on the ground.

The first 3 weeks he was crashing packs. Dropped right off after that.

He made one contest that surprised us all. Other than that he resorts to type

Every coach he has had since he was 16 has said the same thing. He just doesn’t want it enough

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. Given the closeness of the game at 3/4 time, rather than an overall 2nd half summary, I'll be providing a look at who you were entrusting to get the job done for you in the last.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Hunter 21 wing
Bont 21
Libba 20
Macrae 16
Hayes 13 wing
Wallis 12
Dunkley 6
Dickson 6 wing
B.Smith 4 wing
Lloyd 4 wing
McLean 1 wing
Daniel 1 wing

Rucks:

English 22
Trengove 3

1st Half - 13

Hunter 12 wing
Bont 12
Libba 10
Macrae 10
Hayes 8 wing
Dunkley 4
Wallis 3
Dickson 3 wing
Lloyd 2 wing
McLean 1 wing

English 12
Trengove 1

Final Term - 6

Bont 5
Hunter 4 wing
Libba 4
Macrae 4
Hayes 4 wing
Wallis 4
Dickson 2 wing
Lloyd 2 wing
Dunkley 1

English 5
Trengove 1

Notes:
- Wallis didn't have a start in the first - so he started at 12 of the final 19 bounces - which placed him 4th over that duration behind Libba, Hunter and Bontempelli.
- After Naughton was sent back, Bailey Smith replaced Hayes as first choice winger in the 3rd with Hayes playing forward. Hayes resumed his 1st half role in the last with Smith playing forward.
- Dunkley was barely utilised after 1/2 time (attending 2 of 12 bounces) - a far cry from the 2nd half of last year where in his tagging role, he often led the side as the most frequently used mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back