Review Dogs Downed By Freo: God we are plain and boring. What happened to The Men of Mayhem?

Remove this Banner Ad

- Dunkley was barely utilised after 1/2 time (attending 2 of 12 bounces) - a far cry from the 2nd half of last year where in his tagging role, he often led the side as the most frequently used mid.
Thanks for the stats.
A lot of us are perplexed by the use of Dunkley this year.

Haven't read through the posts but my thoughts are we again lost this at the selection table.

Hamling gave Naughton a bath 1st half so Bevo changed it up to give him some confidence in the 3rd an through him back. Good decision apart from the fact he didnt select any other tall forward in the game.
Naughton looked so good the 1st 4 weeks having Schache playing alongside him. Whilst Schache wasn't great his last 2 games and most people on here wanted him dropped he gave us another option and also didn't allow the 2nd tall to just peel off to help the defender on Naughton.

If Schache was playing instead of Dickson or Gowers i think we win that game. Also we aren't doing any damage this year so Schache has to play every game to see what he has. If we are to challenge in the next few years neither of those 2 will be in our team and Schache will hopefully be a main stay.

I want Schache in this week for Gowers and in 2-3 weeks time when Boys has got match fitness i want him in for Trengove. English Boyd Schache and Naughton must play as many games together as possible this year.

What's every ones thoughts?
Absolutely agree. Time to unleash our big men and have the mosquito fleet buzzing around their legs...give the team some structure.

Speaking of votes. Lachie Hunter got 10 coaches votes. So fessing up, Im not getting it but i only watched on tv. Ross gets it, Bevo gets it. He has a big tank and is always a short kick away...and he even kicked a goal this week....but but.
Several on this board attended the game. Do you get it?
WallyStringhaus having apoplexy reading this.

Coaches' votes:
FREMANTLE v WESTERN BULLDOGS
10 Lachie Hunter (WB)
8 David Mundy (FRE)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Bradley Hill (FRE)
2 Joel Hamling (FRE)
2 Nathan Wilson (FRE)
1 Tim English (WB)
1 Nat Fyfe (FRE)

Ross testifying to his influence has muddied the waters. It was easy when it was mc or Bevo playing favourites etc.

Now, now I might have consider the notion t that I may not be in possession of all the facts or even all the answers.

And consider it I did and obviously that is nonsense.

Its clear that both Bevo and Ross have NFI.

Coaches' votes:
10 Lachie Hunter (WB)
8 David Mundy (FRE)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Bradley Hill (FRE)
2 Joel Hamling (FRE)
2 Nathan Wilson (FRE)
1 Tim English (WB)
1 Nat Fyfe (FRE)

Good to see Timmy with Fyfey as one of the Bests. Going from strength to strength (esp with JT support).

Might stop or slow the incessant bitching about Timmy by a few here...

Poo-pooing Crozier and suggesting “never kicked more than 6 goals or averaged more than 2.7 tackles in a season” Duryea as an alternative makes no sense.

Crozier tied for 6th in their goal kicking in a forward line similarly rancid as ours presently, while being one of their best pressure players and a solid contested mark. He’s possibly the best (only) pressure forward on our list.

He’s been great half back. Likely wouldn’t be as good forward, but I’ve no doubt he’d be an improvement on what we’re doing at present.
I said if forced to pick I'd even rate Duryea as the better forward. Theres a reason we got Crozier so cheap, and it's because he was absolutely wasted up forward at Freo (just ask any Freo fan). He had attributes you'd think would make him a good forward, but never was able to put together any consistency. His best return is 13 goals in a season from 19 games, does that really sound like the type of scoring power we're looking for?

How badly do we need a 200cm 100kg forward who sits in the slot and brings the ball to ground. If we play one watch the domino effect it will have in terms of the effectiveness of our other forwards. Blame Gowers and Naughton all you want but they don’t have the slot KPF they require to succeed.

Even as spudish as Tom Campbell was, someone like him could simply draw defenders purely through size.

Boyd is so badly needed back in just to get the right players in the right spots with the right opponents.
Ala Mason 'Spud' Cox for Collingwood they don't get any shorter as the game wears on

Can we afford Boyd to sit at Footscray for another 4 weeks?

By then we could be 2-8.

Plant him at full forward and at least give us a contest.

And you have it that Moz hammers pain meds eh?
It's hard to play a finals series with a fractured back and not use pain medication, in fact maybe
the pain medication should get a mention next to his name on the honour role. Most people
clap the courage and fair enough, prolonged use of pain medication is a bad thing and you
can pay for it for years. Plenty of wrestlers overdid it and simply are not around any more.
Of course I could be wrong and it may have been stiff heel raisers in his boots and not
multiple fractures in his back.

I've firmly been in the "in bevo we trust" crowd. I saw this and thought my god, he has lost his mind. He must be sacked immediately!

I'll give credit where it is due...it was Lachie's most influential game of the season and I was close to giving him a vote in the ching but he encapsulates everything that is going wrong with us offensively. He puts his teammates under so much pressure with his dodgy disposal and the gameplan descends into chaos.

Was really pleased to see him go forward and kick straight...set Wally up for one too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to play a finals series with a fractured back and not use pain medication, in fact maybe
the pain medication should get a mention next to his name on the honour role. Most people
clap the courage and fair enough, prolonged use of pain medication is a bad thing and you
can pay for it for years. Plenty of wrestlers overdid it and simply are not around any more.
Of course I could be wrong and it may have been stiff heel raisers in his boots and not
multiple fractures in his back.
WADA won’t allow any use of Oxy or Tramadol so there is no way Dale would be on the good stuff - poor bastard

We don't have any forward line structure, particularity tall marking targets and lack anyone up forward with speed who can kick goals and apply enough pressure on the opposition coming out of defence the mid we rest/play there aren't quick enough and don't have any goal sense. Need to bring in one of Schache or Boyd and draft a quick sf in the midseason draft.

Lachie Young played pretty well for a 2nd game defender, made a few mistakes but showed some good signs for the future.
Vandermeer has a lot of zip! Does anybody know how he goes at goal kicking. Could be a pressure forward. Cut down on the easy opposition transition from defence

Vandermeer has a lot of zip! Does anybody know how he goes at goal kicking. Could be a pressure forward. Cut down on the easy opposition transition from defence
Will probably be wing or half back quite a good penetrating kick, but a bit too slight at the moment. Pressure
forward is a Bermuda triangle position, I would still like them to try Corey Rich from Frankston maybe as our
mid season draft pick in that role. Could end up a similar version of Tory Dickson with much better volume
up the ground.

I said if forced to pick I'd even rate Duryea as the better forward. Theres a reason we got Crozier so cheap, and it's because he was absolutely wasted up forward at Freo (just ask any Freo fan). He had attributes you'd think would make him a good forward, but never was able to put together any consistency. His best return is 13 goals in a season from 19 games, does that really sound like the type of scoring power we're looking for?

Haha it says a lot that you obviously don’t remember that Duryea played forward at Hawthorn. He sucked mate. He was worse than Crozier in every facet.

Haha it says a lot that you obviously don’t remember that Duryea played forward at Hawthorn. He sucked mate. He was worse than Crozier in every facet.
Where did I say anything about whether Duryea played up forward at Hawks? I'm fully aware of that, and would rather see him forward (as a defensive forward) than Crozier. You're putting words in my mouth

Coaches' votes:
10 Lachie Hunter (WB)
8 David Mundy (FRE)
3 Caleb Daniel (WB)
3 Bradley Hill (FRE)
2 Joel Hamling (FRE)
2 Nathan Wilson (FRE)
1 Tim English (WB)
1 Nat Fyfe (FRE)

I can understand Ross Lyon giving Hunter the votes as he was instrumental at Freo getting the win
But Bevo ??? ... he’s obviously got the blinkers on.

does anybody think we dont take enough intercept marks as a defensive group? we dont appear to have much control in the air across the field but also in defense. we tend to spoil more and try to win the ground balls, whereas the better teams try to mark more

I can understand Ross Lyon giving Hunter the votes as he was instrumental at Freo getting the win
But Bevo ??? ... he’s obviously got the blinkers on.
Almost all of us gave Caleb Daniel top "Ching" votes and Hayden Crozier was up there too, but Matera kicked
5 Goals and Walters kicked 2 Goals that's an awful big percentage of their score. Not to mention Mundy just
strolling through 50 unattended for another 2 Goals.

Yes, clearly.
Gut-running scarily underrated on our board.
I don't think it's underrated. All teams have gut runners and its normally from that outside wingman. Hunter's opponent for the majority of the match was Brad Hill, who is Freo's "gut runner".

On the weekend Hill covered more K's than Lachie, Did more sprints and repeat sprints than any player on the ground and did it at the fastest speed recorded for the match.

The biggest difference though was turnovers...Hill had 3, Hunter had 9. I think thats what people are most frustrated at. There is no doubt he is working his tail off but the basic skill errors are momentum shifting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back