Review DOGS INTO THE GRAND FINAL FEEEEKYEAAAAH!

Remove this Banner Ad

My mind is nuked that there are a generation of doggies supporters that started seriously following footy at the start of Beveridge's tenure.

Just in a completely different plane of existance in terms of observed performance.

Hey all, been a long, long time. I think about 12 months since I've been here... I trust the last few weeks have been kind to you all.

Firstly, how great it is to be back in the big one! I stopped coming here because by nature I'm a pretty positive person and the culture of negativity that engulfed this place was nauseating. I'm going to assume that wasnt an issue this year (but also going to assume I'm wrong, if that makes any sense).

This probably wont get through to those it needs to, but please use this to help put things into perspective the next time you call one of our players sh*t or pile undue pressure on them to perform. What they have done over the last few weeks, given the circumstances, is nothing short of incredible. Especially considering that some of the players in the team on the weekend wouldn't be earning the kind of dollars you would associate with an AFL footballer.

As I said in most of the 65,930 Luke Beveridge threads, the man is a genius and every single thing he does has method and thought. It doesnt all work, but errors are how you succeed. I'm hoping all the 'we have no plan B' (these are my personal favourite) calls have well and truly been put to rest.

Anyway, before I venture onto the ticket thread to get talked out of it by an Eagles supporter, does anyone know of there is a way to donate my barcode to the club to use for a past player or the like? I'd rather it go there or to a dogs fan than anyone else.

Otherwise, hopefully see you in another 12 months!
Missed you around here, HBG. Great post.

For one of our greatest ever wins this review thread is weird and disconcerting.

There's precious little discussion of the game and the players. Maybe that's because the dominance was so total and the victory so comprehensive?

If you flick through it, most of it seems to be about the fan experience (were you nervous, geez I was pissed, shame we couldn't be there, etc) the camaraderie (Josh Bruce vid, Freed from Desire, etc) the conspiracy (hard road to the GF) fk the non-believers, fk the media, fk the main board, and just looking forward to the Grand Final.

Maybe only one post in four is about the game itself.

So here's a little something to try to rectify the balance. Most have already been touched on but here are the 10 things I loved about the game in no special order:
  1. The impact Martin had, without being a star in his own right. His presence at the centre bounces removed Port's smash-it-forward option if they'd only been up against Young and English. This then allowed us to use English and Schache in other roles. NO OTHER PLAYER was competing in a ruck contest apart from Martin and English. That's right. No Dunkley, no Bont, no Macrae, no Schache, no Gardner, no Astro. How often this year could we say that?
  2. Schache's stifling of Aliir Aliir. Brilliant move from Bevo. Took AA Aliir's influence out of the game, gave Naughton a much better run at the incoming ball, gave our midfielders a purposeful option for our i50 entries and it eventually released Schache himself to add to Port's pain.
  3. The rise and rise of Bailey Smith. He showed last week was no fluke with a record haul of goals, some from a long way out. He burnt the opposition with pace time and time again. He attacked the ball with supreme confidence. These two games have taken him to a new level. It's one thing to get 20+ possessions but another altogether to kick 3-4 goals each time and do that in knockout finals. He has arrived. Apart from all of that, Bevo now has a way of getting the best out of him without him having to be at the centre bounces.
  4. Mitch Hannan finding his role at the Dogs. With the other pieces of a Bruceless forward line finally falling into place (and Weightman still to come back) Hannan got off the leash and caused a fair bit of havoc himself. It's taken all year but I think he's finally settled into his role. We knew he was fairly strong and quick but his contested marking in the PF was an unexpected bonus. Melbourne know him well of course but having watched that they know they can't afford to ignore him in the GF. Even if he is much quieter he may still draw a player who might otherwise be blocking Naughton and English and clearing the ball that spills from the marking contest.
  5. Treloar's return to form. I've already posted on this, so just briefly: he was too good a player not to rebound. His return to form was a sign of great character and also the support that he would have had all week from his teammates and coaches. Perhaps overlooked but of more enduring significance is the fact that he now seems to be back to his best pre-injury form. And so too is his besty, Dunks.
  6. Bont getting through relatively unscathed. I feared the worst last week. If his season was over we not only lose the best player in the game but also the leader that they all follow and believe in. He played a good, solid Bontish sort of a game without having to carry the side. The two goals, 7 clearances and the Hand-of-Dog effort showed he wasn't just putting in a perfunctory appearance. He should be cherry ripe with the two week break. Bont for the Norm Smith Medal.
  7. The end to end goal in the second quarter. From a desperate scramble by Cordy to a handball receive and goal by Hannan at the other end this was one of the goals of the season for me. No single burst of brilliance by an individual but the consummate team goal, executed with vision, belief, and daring. Port didn't look like touching it in the whole transit. It could easily have been an ill-disguised deliberate fumble over the boundary for a stoppage but instead it demonstrated how exciting and rewarding our game can be when a side is prepared to take its chances.
  8. The foot on the throat. We never let them back into the game after that first devastating 15 minutes. Apart from a brief rearguard action from Port just after half time we just kept extending the lead. That's the sign of a side in top form and not something we've seen much, even from good Doggies outfits over the last 15 years.
  9. Getting through with only one minor injury. How important is that leading into a GF? How devastating would it have been to lose one of our star midfielders or Naughton for the big one. We have been due a change of luck. There's even a chance Vandermeer will be right in two weeks time.
  10. Johannisen rising to the occasion. Ever since he was moved out of defence he has seemed a bit lost but he was taking the game on like the JJ of old on Saturday night and as many have noted his courageous mark with an oncoming opponent was a welcome sight. It was a reminder that he plays his best footy in September.
  11. (OK 11 things, I couldn't leave this one out). The strength and composure of our defence. The two Baileys, Williams and Dale were sensational and repelled Port time and time again, usually with well-placed kicks. Despite the lop-sided score the i50s were fairly close: Port 48, WB 60, so there was plenty of work to be done. Daniel and Duryea were reliable and brave as always and Cordy and Gardner barely put a foot wrong all night (have we ever been able to say that before?) Wood has been getting better each week and is no doubt providing plenty of on-field direction like Moz did in 2016. And all this with our best KPD Alex Keath likely to return for the Grand Final. If defence is still seen as our biggest weakness that was a very reassuring performance.
great report. one thing I love about our backline is the influence of Duryea. if you look at the AF stats he always ranks low. but his influence off and on the ball is amazing. with Keath and Weightman back we will be very hard to beat.

For one of our greatest ever wins this review thread is weird and disconcerting.

There's precious little discussion of the game and the players. Maybe that's because the dominance was so total and the victory so comprehensive?

If you flick through it, most of it seems to be about the fan experience (were you nervous, geez I was pissed, shame we couldn't be there, etc) the camaraderie (Josh Bruce vid, Freed from Desire, etc) the conspiracy (hard road to the GF) fk the non-believers, fk the media, fk the main board, and just looking forward to the Grand Final.

Maybe only one post in four is about the game itself.

So here's a little something to try to rectify the balance. Most have already been touched on but here are the 10 things I loved about the game in no special order:
  1. The impact Martin had, without being a star in his own right. His presence at the centre bounces removed Port's smash-it-forward option if they'd only been up against Young and English. This then allowed us to use English and Schache in other roles. NO OTHER PLAYER was competing in a ruck contest apart from Martin and English. That's right. No Dunkley, no Bont, no Macrae, no Schache, no Gardner, no Astro. How often this year could we say that?
  2. Schache's stifling of Aliir Aliir. Brilliant move from Bevo. Took AA Aliir's influence out of the game, gave Naughton a much better run at the incoming ball, gave our midfielders a purposeful option for our i50 entries and it eventually released Schache himself to add to Port's pain.
  3. The rise and rise of Bailey Smith. He showed last week was no fluke with a record haul of goals, some from a long way out. He burnt the opposition with pace time and time again. He attacked the ball with supreme confidence. These two games have taken him to a new level. It's one thing to get 20+ possessions but another altogether to kick 3-4 goals each time and do that in knockout finals. He has arrived. Apart from all of that, Bevo now has a way of getting the best out of him without him having to be at the centre bounces.
  4. Mitch Hannan finding his role at the Dogs. With the other pieces of a Bruceless forward line finally falling into place (and Weightman still to come back) Hannan got off the leash and caused a fair bit of havoc himself. It's taken all year but I think he's finally settled into his role. We knew he was fairly strong and quick but his contested marking in the PF was an unexpected bonus. Melbourne know him well of course but having watched that they know they can't afford to ignore him in the GF. Even if he is much quieter he may still draw a player who might otherwise be blocking Naughton and English and clearing the ball that spills from the marking contest.
  5. Treloar's return to form. I've already posted on this, so just briefly: he was too good a player not to rebound. His return to form was a sign of great character and also the support that he would have had all week from his teammates and coaches. Perhaps overlooked but of more enduring significance is the fact that he now seems to be back to his best pre-injury form. And so too is his besty, Dunks.
  6. Bont getting through relatively unscathed. I feared the worst last week. If his season was over we not only lose the best player in the game but also the leader that they all follow and believe in. He played a good, solid Bontish sort of a game without having to carry the side. The two goals, 7 clearances and the Hand-of-Dog effort showed he wasn't just putting in a perfunctory appearance. He should be cherry ripe with the two week break. Bont for the Norm Smith Medal.
  7. The end to end goal in the second quarter. From a desperate scramble by Cordy to a handball receive and goal by Hannan at the other end this was one of the goals of the season for me. No single burst of brilliance by an individual but the consummate team goal, executed with vision, belief, and daring. Port didn't look like touching it in the whole transit. It could easily have been an ill-disguised deliberate fumble over the boundary for a stoppage but instead it demonstrated how exciting and rewarding our game can be when a side is prepared to take its chances.
  8. The foot on the throat. We never let them back into the game after that first devastating 15 minutes. Apart from a brief rearguard action from Port just after half time we just kept extending the lead. That's the sign of a side in top form and not something we've seen much, even from good Doggies outfits over the last 15 years.
  9. Getting through with only one minor injury. How important is that leading into a GF? How devastating would it have been to lose one of our star midfielders or Naughton for the big one. We have been due a change of luck. There's even a chance Vandermeer will be right in two weeks time.
  10. Johannisen rising to the occasion. Ever since he was moved out of defence he has seemed a bit lost but he was taking the game on like the JJ of old on Saturday night and as many have noted his courageous mark with an oncoming opponent was a welcome sight. It was a reminder that he plays his best footy in September.
  11. (OK 11 things, I couldn't leave this one out). The strength and composure of our defence. The two Baileys, Williams and Dale were sensational and repelled Port time and time again, usually with well-placed kicks. Despite the lop-sided score the i50s were fairly close: Port 48, WB 60, so there was plenty of work to be done. Daniel and Duryea were reliable and brave as always and Cordy and Gardner barely put a foot wrong all night (have we ever been able to say that before?) Wood has been getting better each week and is no doubt providing plenty of on-field direction like Moz did in 2016. And all this with our best KPD Alex Keath likely to return for the Grand Final. If defence is still seen as our biggest weakness that was a very reassuring performance.
Think it’s just because the biggest thing to talk about is that the prelim curse is DONE AND ******* DUSTED * THE DOUBTERS CAMPAIGNERS PORT ADELAIDE BRISBANE ESSENDON AND THE SA GOVERNMENT

My mind is nuked that there are a generation of doggies supporters that started seriously following footy at the start of Beveridge's tenure.

Just in a completely different plane of existance in terms of observed performance.
Yep.

You can say the same about Richmond too. Except Richmond are currently a level above that we are looking to emulate.

I think the supporters who observed 97/98 will be forever damaged. But we are getting the help we need and deserve (thanks to the Beverage era!).

25Jack MacraeWB
17Bailey SmithWB
14Clayton OliverMELB
13Christian PetraccaMELB
11Max GawnMELB

Macrae's medal to lose. Even if you weight it so that only his best three matches are counted Oliver would have to be BOG and Macrae would have to be kept quiet for him to lose.
The only person that can beat Macrae is Smith. Regardless of what happens Grand Final day, Macrae's three best finals are better than anything Oliver can string together

Hey all, been a long, long time. I think about 12 months since I've been here... I trust the last few weeks have been kind to you all.

Firstly, how great it is to be back in the big one! I stopped coming here because by nature I'm a pretty positive person and the culture of negativity that engulfed this place was nauseating. I'm going to assume that wasnt an issue this year (but also going to assume I'm wrong, if that makes any sense).

This probably wont get through to those it needs to, but please use this to help put things into perspective the next time you call one of our players sh*t or pile undue pressure on them to perform. What they have done over the last few weeks, given the circumstances, is nothing short of incredible. Especially considering that some of the players in the team on the weekend wouldn't be earning the kind of dollars you would associate with an AFL footballer.

As I said in most of the 65,930 Luke Beveridge threads, the man is a genius and every single thing he does has method and thought. It doesnt all work, but errors are how you succeed. I'm hoping all the 'we have no plan B' (these are my personal favourite) calls have well and truly been put to rest.

Anyway, before I venture onto the ticket thread to get talked out of it by an Eagles supporter, does anyone know of there is a way to donate my barcode to the club to use for a past player or the like? I'd rather it go there or to a dogs fan than anyone else.

Welcome back, legend. Miss your contributions to the board. Hope you have been well and hopefully see you back here a bit more regularly going forward.

I think the supporters who observed 97/98 will be forever damaged. But we are getting the help we need and deserve (thanks to the Beverage era!).

Not to mention those who were rusted on long before that.

I'm still in therapy over losing Quinlan, Dempsey, Round et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And even better, that same generation of Essendon and Carlton supporter have never seen their clubs win a final...

I don't think negativity will be entirely stamped out, some people are never happy, whatever happens. However, I like to think that over the past year we aren't so tolerant of players being abused or criticised in a nasty way. Same with the coach. Sure, everybody is disappointed when we lose or have a string of losses, or certain players are or aren't picked. Opinions can be voiced and we are discouraged from "playing the man". Anyway, I feel the forum has improved, overall.

There's a WA Bulldogs site, might be mentioned in the Tickets thread.

Melbourne should have strategically chosen to lose the Qualifying Final. They'd only have themselves to blame for a poor strategy if they lose given the pre-grandfinal bye was known quantity:)

Obviously why we dropped out of the 4 on purpose ;)

Luke didn't want the week off and a bye, he wanted to keep them angry and battle hardened.

Schache will play on Lever. Same plan as the one v Port. This time Melbourne will by ready of course and actually give Schache some respect (which Port didn't do).

Melbourne set up to win the aerial contest in their defence so they'll have May on Naughton too. May will try to block Schache as well so Lever can do his thing and have Petty try to keep Naughton out of the contest when May isn't on him.

Dogs need to give Salem some respect too. Kick it away from him or over him like they did vs some of the better ball users at Port.
jj to be living in salems pocket

I dont expect the midfield battle to be decisive in this game. I feel like our ability to be dangerous and functional ahead of the ball will determine if we can kick a winning score or not.

Lever and May will be similar to Allir except there are two of them. May will be somewhere near naughton at all times. Naughton is the competitions best flyer by a mile, but he can be outbodied by more experienced opponents. Altho maybe he is learning that in a body situation, it doesnt have to be a 100% mark or nothing. Bringing the ball to ground is still a great outcome. In too many of his poorer games , we see him running under the ball trying to get seperation, or being pushed off and allowing his opponent to take a standing grab. This juggling thing could be a sign of him being prepared to just stand under the ball and make sure nobody marks it, when he has to.

Lever likes to have no pressure on him - with opposition threats in front of him, and just sit behind and read the play, either coming over the top or slipping to the front. Schaches job will be to play goal side of him, as the commentators said about allir - forcing him to look over his shoulder - and be further away from the hot spot than he likes to be. they cant let Shack take uncontested marks from anywhere - he is too smart and too good a kick to be allowed a long leash.

On the flip side, they will have Gawn running forward at every opportunity, and sideshow bob is their forward who isnt a world beater but also cant be ignored. I actually fear sideshow kicking accurately and getting 4 goals or something. Maybe Im still scarred from when we were s**t and losing to north sides. That cant be allowed. I think Keath has mcdonalds measure, but I also worry that Gawn will leave Martin behind and take some marks forward. Perhaps play weightman as a hard tag on gawn to curb his aerial influence....

I posted this on the main forum.

Are the stars aligning?

2016:
Bulldogs lose final Home and Away game of season before winning Elimination Final by eight goals.

Bulldogs are +9.5 point underdogs in their Semi Final. They are 11 points behind at quarter time. Jack Macrae has 39 disposals. Bulldogs win.

Geelong lose Preliminary Final on Friday night. Smith kicks opening goal, including four goals for the match. Bulldogs win on the road as underdogs.

Bulldogs play minor premier in Grand Final.

2021:
Bulldogs lose final Home and Away game of season before winning Elimination Final by eight goals.

Bulldogs are +9.5 point underdogs in their Semi Final. They are 11 points behind at quarter time. Jack Macrae has 39 disposals. Bulldogs win.

Geelong lose Preliminary Final on Friday night. Smith kicks opening goal, including four goals for the match. Bulldogs win on the road as underdogs.

Bulldogs play minor premier in Grand Final.

Bulldogs reverse South Australian Finals curse:

1998:

The fifth placed Crows demolish the second placed Dogs to go through to the Grand Final against the minor premiers.

2021:
The fifth placed Doggies demolish the second placed Power to go through to the Grand Final against the minor premiers.

1997, 1998, 2016, 2021:
The Bulldogs have played four interstate teams in Preliminary Finals. On all four occasions, the away team won.

1997: Adelaide win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
1998: Adelaide win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
2016: Bulldogs win away Preliminary Final and defeat minor premier in Grand Final.
2021: Bulldogs win away Preliminary Final and ????

What a difference a flag makes. In 2016 I was a nervous wreck. Just pure excitement this year.
I was absolutely terrified before our elimination final. That was probably to do with a lot of my close mates supporting Essendon.

I’ve been very very calm in the lead up to the past 2 finals. Of course I’m nervous once the ball is bounced but nothing in the lead up. I feel the same about the grand final.

I feel confident about this match. Maybe it’s misplaced confidence, but hear me out:

1. We didn’t have Treloar and Dunkley in either match against Melbourne this year. They can plan all they want, but the fact is, they haven’t played against our full strength midfield in 2021. We have played against their full strength team twice.

2. Martin didn’t play in either of the matches against the Dees. Yes, Gawn is in incredible form. However, we just need Martin has proven to be a solid negating type of ruck. We just need to be aware of Gawn when he drifts forward.

3. Realising what could hurt us: Putting Schache on Allir, Dunks tagging Parish/Neale/Wines (?), bringing in Young and then Martin to help English.. the list goes on. Bevo used to let midfielders get off the chain, let the intercept defenders take marks time and time again. Something seems to have changed.

4. Our best players are available: Yes, I know Bruce/Toby are out. However we have a solid nucleus of stars fit and healthy aside from some niggles.

5. Bevo getting back to his storytelling best: We are a hugely emotional team. We saw this after Bruce went down. We saw it after each win on the road. If any team can counteract the Melbourne desire, hunger and emotion, it’s us. Seeing some of Bevo’s speeches recently have given me chills down my spine. Amazing stuff.

Like we did against Port, the key is a good start to take the emotion away from the opposition. If we are ahead or level at quarter time, we’ll win 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back