Autopsy Dogs lack spark v Port Power, 55-42 loss

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What we need to do: Give English an ultimatum to toughen up in the body contact department or play sweet.
English has a lot of potential but is still 2 years away from having the strength required to push other ruckmen around. Take a look at Pittonet or Naismith, both left clubs and did well as more mature bodies.
The coach does not value hit outs and it is what it is. At this time, English would be great as a tall and athletic swing man.

Glaeken Oracle

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I love it when we discombobulate opposition trolls with clever and incisive bon mots.

Bon mot or not, is my description incorrect? Granted it’s a little brief, as I didn’t have time to fully expound on all the poster’s characteristics, so I chose one that represented how lacking in fortitude it is throwing barbs on an anonymous forum, and one that more than likely describes their family situation given the club they support.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JJ played a bad game but he's a fantastic servant of the club. Let's all take a deep breath... he knew he didn't play well going by the scenes in the rooms.

You don't hang lifelong bulldogs out to dry and he's red white and blue in my eyes

He’s played many, many bad games in the past four years. He’s a senior player who consistently underperforms.

If it was execution that’s one thing - everyone stuffs up a kick or handball. But his decision making is often terrible and it kills us because of where he plays.

I’d bet that Crozier hasn’t made the three mistakes JJ made tonight over the course of his last 50 games - and I’m almost certain he’s being paid way less.

If that’s not addressed by omission every now and again how can anyone have confidence in the MC?

(I mean, I lost confidence in them about the time Gardner played more than one game, McLean started to get omitted, Gowers still got picked, we didn’t play a second ruck when our no.1 was learning (which he still is) and Suckling - whose only USP is kicking out of defence and/or inside 50 - was played in the forward line where he can do neither of those things. But that’s just me.)

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young got one chance as a forward this year. Against the pies when our midfield was destroyed.

Hasn't been sighted again. Why at least wasn't he given an opportunity tonight?

Even plonk Sweet in the goal square and have him draw defenders. Like why the actual **** isn't this thinking in Bev's arsenal if he's put a line through Schache.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks Dogwatch

nothing to say really, same problems since 17 with this “rebuild”

Ok, let's say there's a rip in the time space continuum and a new strain of coronavirus, COVID 20 causing madness, which sees you oddly as senior coach for the next 4 weeks.

What changes would you make (players, game style, anything you like) from the resources you have available?

A lot of our problems stem from English not being strong enough in ruck contests and packs. I can understand that it is difficult for someone of his build to push, bump and be physical generally and to do that for a full game but he is being well-beaten by second string ruckmen and needs either some support and/or a new position. Obviously, the coaching staff don't rate Sweet very highly so at season's end we need to look around for another ruckman who can do some of the heavy work. Having Dunkley and now Macrae do ruck work when English is either tired or going badly is simply not satisfactory - this is not 2016 (well, even then we had Roughead and Boyd sharing the load).

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
5 contested marks is massive. Bail out kick and he clunks them

Only 2 of Dixon's contested marks were with Keath as the opponent and Keath didn't have one kick in the Port's F50 tonight...

Keath.png

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English has a lot of potential but is still 2 years away from having the strength required to push other ruckmen around. Take a look at Pittonet or Naismith, both left clubs and did well as more mature bodies.
The coach does not value hit outs and it is what it is. At this time, English would be great as a tall and athletic swing man.

I have no issue with English taking time and have backed him in since he’s been in the team but last week he got smashed into early by soldo and had a stinker, tonight had a strong first half in the ruck then the start of the third Ladhams smashed into him first bounce and he disappeared for the quarter. That’s not lacking strength that’s not liking contact

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So tonight he goes to Dixon, keath go Westhoff and cordy to gerogiartas who combined for 2 goals?

Next game who would he play on? Hipwood is too quick for him and think mcstay is still suspended and McInerney has to play ruck for them atm
We had Macrae rucking when English was off the ground. Plus there are plenty complaining we have no experience or onfield leadership. The recent scratch reports literally praise Trengove for organising the defence and team as a whole. He’s also one of the most popular players on our list. As I say he’s no world beater but he offers a lot of what people say we’re crying out for.
Why the focus on the Brisbane game, surely we should have been focusing on winning tonight.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our biggest problem is maturity.

When one of the most senior players in the team is appointed Vice Captain and then self destructs his season (especially when one of his major roles is conducting how the side operates), then you know you have a problem.

JJ in the leadership squad and Wallis not being in it goes to show the players have NFI where direction should come from.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
JJ seems to be just coasting ever since that norm smith, he’s never really reached those heights most were expecting from him, tonight was terrible though, him alone and contested marking cost us the game tonight.

They gotta drop him after tonight he was so, so bad.

I think from the past few weeks Bont forward is not the answer as he prefers to go back mid to impact the game.

They should try Bailey Smith up forward leading out of the square full time to see how he goes. Hes probably the only player that we have that would make a defender nervous. Otherwise Bruce will just get double/triple teamed and lose confidence like what we are seeing now. Playing Wallis/Lloyd deep with Bruce deep would just allow tall defenders to zone off them and attack Bruce.

Macrae/Dunkley/Smith/Libba combo destoyed Ports mids tonight. I reckon Macrae/Bont/Dunkley/Libba with English would smash most mids besides Eagles/Pies/Dees ruck/mids at full strength.

... It like Bruce gave up and didn’t even attempt to mark.
I probably wouldn't blame him if he did.
In his circumstances bringing the ball to ground was probably the percentage play.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lewis Young got one chance as a forward this year. Against the pies when our midfield was destroyed.

Hasn't been sighted again. Why at least wasn't he given an opportunity tonight?

Even plonk Sweet in the goal square and have him draw defenders. Like why the actual **** isn't this thinking in Bev's arsenal if he's put a line through Schache.
Have you ever seen Sweet forward? It’s not pretty.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A lot of our problems stem from English not being strong enough in ruck contests and packs. I can understand that it is difficult for someone of his build to push, bump and be physical generally and to do that for a full game but he is being well-beaten by second string ruckmen and needs either some support and/or a new position. Obviously, the coaching staff don't rate Sweet very highly so at season's end we need to look around for another ruckman who can do some of the heavy work. Having Dunkley and now Macrae do ruck work when English is either tired or going badly is simply not satisfactory - this is not 2016 (well, even then we had Roughead and Boyd sharing the load).
That proposed ruckman needs to offer something forward or back as well which is what holds Sweet back.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok, let's say there's a rip in the time space continuum and a new strain of coronavirus, COVID 20 causing madness, which sees you oddly as senior coach for the next 4 weeks.

What changes would you make (players, game style, anything you like) from the resources you have available?

I wouldn’t be bombing the ball into a one tall forward line, Especially when that one tall is horribly out of form.

OR I’d go to at least a two talls forward line, maybe even three and not allow teams to isolate onto Bruce if we must persist bombing the ball.

Personal is irrelevant when you don’t play to the team you already have.

Syrah

All Australian
Sep 17, 2006
South
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Would give anything to have the real Norm Smith at full forward changing in the ruck.

Next game:

04 Days

21 Hours

45 Mins
You haven't got long to research another lucky meal.

I'll obviously need to find a different lucky tipple too.
I'm quite happy to invest in the research though. :drunk:

Back