Autopsy Dogs lack spark v Port Power, 55-42 loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I got frustrated with JJ 2nite but people like you who say he has been poor since Oct 1 2016 are wrong.

2017 runner up in WB B&F

2019 in a year the club won more than we lost and made the eight 4th in the B and F.

Top ten in 2018 as well.

It is just crap that he has been useless.
I don’t bag JJ for a few errors, he was trying to take the game on. Overall though his form had dropped in the last few years. A good player yet you could argue he has the ability to have taken his game to another level and hasn’t. A quite a few very quiet games in the last few years and is not a constant week in week out performer when he should be. Still a very good player yet I’m not convinced JJ had achieved all he was capable of. Maybe mix his role up wing/half forward.

My observations, we are playing a lot of kids, which tips the balance towards more costly errors, and weaker players and our older players having to cover for them. Looking at our team, we are so out of sync with each other, there is not the smooth transition we are used to seeing. I also put a lot of this down to missing Hunter, many on here don’t rate him, but the competition does.

Without Astro, our forward line has gone back to the bad old days of one forward being double and triple teamed, poor old Bruce didn’t sign up for this, he thought he would be playing second fiddle to Astro. You can’t expect our kids to play like Papley straight away either, if we were winning more games we would be talking up Vandermeer who has been the surprise package of 2020.

Bevo is getting development into our kids as well as steering us to play finals, we might not make them this year but we will be a better team next year, the proof, we could have played Dicko last night and come away with the win, but instead we played Vandermeer and Weightman.

2020 is such a shite year for humanity that I don’t want it engraved on any of our trophies, it would probably fall off the shelf and kill Bont. 2021, look out.

Tbh after having a think about this more we actually played pretty well. I dont know what our inside 50 plan is atm and Bevo spoke about it changing from our usual hit up lead style to bombing it in and it just isnt us at all. Last night conditions were perfect and we really should have won that game with more structured delivery inside 50 but at least I went to bed knowing that the boys had a red hot crack. I would be targeting a fwdline coach next year for sure as we need to change that.

We say we want to win a flag every year but I am not that fussed about this year. Winning a premiership means going on the journey with the boys and riding all the ups and downs and we cannot do that with the current season (my personal opinion). I am living in Victoria and the fact that every 4/5 days now I get to watch my team play to get our minds off all the other crap that is going on and for that I am thankful. Performances last night whilst frustrating still to me show that if we fix a few issues up we still have a really good team for the future

My observations, we are playing a lot of kids, which tips the balance towards more costly errors, and weaker players and our older players having to cover for them. Looking at our team, we are so out of sync with each other, there is not the smooth transition we are used to seeing. I also put a lot of this down to missing Hunter, many on here don’t rate him, but the competition does.

Without Astro, our forward line has gone back to the bad old days of one forward being double and triple teamed, poor old Bruce didn’t sign up for this, he thought he would be playing second fiddle to Astro. You can’t expect our kids to play like Papley straight away either, if we were winning more games we would be talking up Vandermeer who has been the surprise package of 2020.

Bevo is getting development into our kids as well as steering us to play finals, we might not make them this year but we will be a better team next year, the proof, we could have played Dicko last night and come away with the win, but instead we played Vandermeer and Weightman.

2020 is such a sh*te year for humanity that I don’t want it engraved on any of our trophies, it would probably fall off the shelf and kill Bont. 2021, look out.
beat me to the punch mate I agree 100%

Someone needs to chop out English, whether it’s a tall back or forward, unless you want to keep seeing Macrae in the ruck. Personally I think Trengove offers a case as a genuine best 22 player. Yes I would change the structure of our defence seeing as we’ve lost by some massive margins this year. Not all down to the defence but the fact we also lack leadership.
Cordy is a better forward than Lewis Young.
Are you that sure Keath and Cordy is much better then Keath and Trengove?

English does need a chop out from someone other than a mid.
I just do not see Trengove as the answer to that, the match committee seems set on the cordy, keath backline and I do not see how Trengove fits along side them.

Our backline has been good, round 1 and 2 we played Gardner as a kpd and we were getting smashed in the midfield of course the backline gave up a score. Since then we are 5-3. We three losses we have conceded 103, 90 and 55. Crozier missed the Carlton game, we got smashed in the middle and we were a tall short down back. Richmond game again beaten in the midfield and our backline wasn’t great. Last night our backline was good bar the couple of stuff ups up the field that resulted in goals in the goal square.

Trengove does not fix any of those results. Up forward is where we need the extra tall to give English a chop out not down back. I disagree that cordy is a better forward than Lewis young.

Obviously we just see things differently

I got frustrated with JJ 2nite but people like you who say he has been poor since Oct 1 2016 are wrong.

2017 runner up in WB B&F

2019 in a year the club won more than we lost and made the eight 4th in the B and F.

Top ten in 2018 as well.

It is just crap that he has been useless.
He has been emblematic of our issues as a Club in some respects. Capable of much more than he is consistently offering. Struggled being a senior member of the backline as a relatively young fella thrust into a role that was Boyd/Morris/Bob/Wood. Struggling to find other strings to his bow.

JJ hasn't really been the same player since Clubs started to target him physically. He never got proper protection from his team mates, or the officials and he never really stood up to it either. He needed to belt someone. I've noticed his defensive efforts have been better at times this year, some genuinely good spoils and moments of hardness un the air. He has that in him, and I trust he will get going at some point.

That aside, one of mistakes was diabolical. The handball.
The other was poor but in the context of what we need from him, acceptable. He was trying to open them up by taking the defender on and breaking the lines up the middle. Can't hang him for that, it was rare moment of courageous, cavalier footy that went south about .5 seconds in. A bit of a tragedy! Even if the s**t kick spills the other side of the contest, the ball gets out and we are ok.

I appreciate his e option post game too. s**t feeling. I am glad he feels that way, it means he cares. JJ will bounce back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was pretty livid last night, more so over that third quarter where things went against us and we capitulated. We have some glaring issues but at least the team fought it out in the last quarter which is the first time all year we have in a loss.

We have one major issue and I’m not sure it’s fixable this year and that’s the forward line. We work that hard for a goal and often we miss the shot When we finally get the chance and then the opposition get an easy one or two and that’s bound to be deflating.

Why do the opposition get an easy one? Usually it’s cause we over use the ball and cough it up leading to an out the back goal or our defenders as they are taught to do run hard forward to create run and carry and then we break down at half forward due to a lack of structure and it goes back the other way for an easy out the back goal with everyone out of position.

It’s not fully fixable this year because we don’t have a pressure small forward with goal sense and I’m not sure we can get one this offseason. Also naughton and Bruce have no chemistry and it will be hard to develop that in the 6-7 games naughton might get in before the end of the season.

We can fix it to a degree though by firstly playing another kpf if naughton isn’t ready Lewis young or schache just have to play, we also need to see if cavarra is up to it or not as a small pressure forward. We need to pick a forward 6 and stick with them or at the very least that structure.

Dunkley was pretty good for his first game back as well. We looked fierce in the contest with him and Libba. Also I was impressed with Bonts last quarter he was really willing the side on I thought. Macraes first half as well was sensational

Any chance other states actually test more so their COVID numbers rise and we can call this bullshit off

Not being able to play at home has destroyed us

The training in separate groups of eight really wasn't ideal for us when we're trying to improvise a structure.
It suits teams with their pillars in place like Brisbane, the Eagles or the Tiges.
Look at Geelong, the red & black , or the Pies for what happens this year when you need to redesign your plan due to outs.

That, plus being away from Docklands, plus unavailability specifically hitting Naughton, Hunter, Jong and Dunkley, have undermined us.

We're not a bad side considering we are atheist on the subject of ruckmen, agnostic on the subject of tagging and have used approximately nine thousand players this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back