Autopsy Dogs lack spark v Port Power, 55-42 loss

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually do think its a personnel issue (to some extent). We have a combination of midfielders who can't get midfield time stuck in the forward line, as well as young raw players (Vandermeer, Weightman) who aren't ready to be consistent AFL players yet. Throw in the occasional not up to it player like Gowers, I think its more a personel issue than we think.

Bev hasn't really outlined a forward setup that he prefers. Let's say fully fit Naughton, Bruce and Wallis are the three that pick themselves. Apart from that Bev hasn't really got a set in stone forward setup which he could go about in different ways.

A) Prioritising players who capitalise on opportunities and clean entry. Dale, Schache, LLoyd
B) Development route - Weightman, Vandermeer etc.

You look at last night's game and that is the type of game (finals intensity) we should base our preferred setup. A combination of marking power, speed, and some finishers.

I'd go with this

HF: McLean, Naughton, JJ
FF: Wallis, Bruce, Jong

A setup like this has 3 tall/tallish marking options. All of Naughton, Bruce and Jong can take a big grab and are good under the high ball. Port's interceptors don't have a night like last night if we had more talls to seperate their defenders.

JJ needs a role change. If Duryea was fit I'd push JJ forward to provide a speedy option. Weightman and Vandermeer will become players hopefully but they are too inconsistent to provide us with a finals capable team in 2020. We urgently need some more speed and tackling pressure in the forward 50.
I don't disagree that our forward personnel could be better, but I also think it's fair to say that there are clear game trends over several years that demonstrate that we simply don't play in a way that is conducive to good forward play.

I don't think JJ has at any stage displayed an aptitude playing forward of the ball and I'm loathe to put another player that doesn't really have any forward sense there given our current forward running patterns resemble chickens with their heads cut off.

Rumour that the umpires last night were SANFL umpires not AFL umpires... some sort of stuff up with entering the state. What a joke if true.
I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next bloke but the umpires are published on the AFL website and the umpires in the game are wearing the same numbers and look the same as the listed, official AFL umpires.

Brendan Hosking (16), Cameron Dore (28), Hayden Gavine (14)

161, 19, 59 games respectively.

I'd say that's typical for an AFL game, maybe a tiny bit on the inexperienced side. Not sure where this rumour's coming from

Brendan Hosking (16), Cameron Dore (28), Hayden Gavine (14)

161, 19, 59 games respectively.

I'd say that's typical for an AFL game, maybe a tiny bit on the inexperienced side. Not sure where this rumour's coming from
Most likely the bastion of truth and FACTS in modern day society, facebook.

I am much more measured with my feelings about last nights game.

Port were always going to be a difficult side especially because theyre in form and it was their home game.
We dominated for most of the game except for the third quarter. Our inaccuracy and erectile dysfunctioning forward line let us down.

Our forward line is a rabble. The sooner Naughton is back the better. We are also one pressure forward short, i am pleased that Cavarra played well in the 2s and is in the frame for senior selection. I'd even try Hunter forward as he provides x-factor and a senior head in that line.

Richards played very well in the first half but his disposal let him down. But he is clearly given a licence to run. I still think he is best suited on a back flank but Bevo knows best.

Roarke was good early but does not provide the same surity down the line as Jong did earlier in the year.

English needs support big time, or at the very least needs to rest up forward to take the pressure off Bruce. English was poor last night and had concrete hands.

Vandermeer is going to be a solid player for us. If goals half of his shots on goal it will go such a long way to us winning games.

Seriously dont know whats going on with JJ or Wood.

Bevo's selections are baffling at times but at least he threw the magnets around and we werent flogged like most of us predicted.

Brisbane will pose much of the same issues as Port did.

Bruce is a leading forward, not a pack mark forward. We are Trying to turn him into something he’s not suited to. The bulking up presumably isn’t because he’s a lard boy or he’d be dropped. It must be a club directive.

Those calling for Schache - he’s concussed but he’s unplayable at the moment. Yes Gowers was picked but Schache has been given more chances & is plainly not up to it. That might change but he needs to work his way back through the VFL when it starts again. He’s not the answer.

I’m concerned that we’re always going to have a few players out injured. Our injury list is about average for an AFL list at the moment. List management is starting to become a growing concern. We don’t have enough players in the 150 - 250 with leadership & sufficient hardness.

I don't disagree that our forward personnel could be better, but I also think it's fair to say that there are clear game trends over several years that demonstrate that we simply don't play in a way that is conducive to good forward play.

I don't think JJ has at any stage displayed an aptitude playing forward of the ball and I'm loathe to put another player that doesn't really have any forward sense there given our current forward running patterns resemble chickens with their heads cut off.
Agree with this. As in the Richmond game we found our f50 flooded and we had no-one who could crack it open.
Other AFL coaches are watching so we can expect more of the same.

To fix it requires (a) willingness to change our style of play, (b) personnel to execute it and (c) lots of drills and practice. We might have (b) especially with Naughton and Hunter returning but the other two aren't givens this year.

I regret to say that I don't think (a) is a given next year either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who comes out for those 3 talls and how would we line up?
Charlie, after calming down would go for 2 extra talls, this is purely academic as it would never happen. Out Weightman and R-S.
Against teams with a big forward - Hawkins etc then Trengove comes in. Maybe Trengove to pinch hit in the ruck as he did v Lions last year when Martin was playing and too big for English. Zordy to 2016 position. Add one of Le Young/Sweet, the former as a support in the ruck as needed for English and the latter to allow English to be D Bandy, nearly 20 years ago vs Richamond at the G, wot a day that was, thought he was going to be a solution for us :sob:

Agree with this. As in the Richmond game we found our f50 flooded and we had no-one who could crack it open.
Other AFL coaches are watching so we can expect more of the same.

To fix it requires (a) willingness to change our style of play, (b) personnel to execute it and (c) lots of drills and practice. We might have (b) especially with Naughton and Hunter returning but the other two aren't givens this year.

I regret to say that I don't think (a) is a given next year either.
I agree with all of this. I hold some hope given several alterations this year - most notably playing Keath as an anchor full-back that plays a more traditional defensive game - but I don't have a great deal of confidence in the revitalisation that needs to happen actually happening.

-
... Schache has been given more chances & is plainly not up to it. That might change but he needs to work his way back through the VFL when it starts again. He’s not the answer.
He has had two chances this year. Kicked two (should have been 4 but robbed by umps) in his first game and was one of our best. Combined well with Bruce who kicked 6. The second game he was poor.

If we're talking about blokes who have done little with their opportunities over the last year or so we should focus on players like Gowers and Roarke Smith before Schache. I doubt he'll ever be a 50 goals a year forward but he might fit into a revised structure and game plan quite well.

Since coming to the Dogs he has averaged 1.5 goals a game. That ranks him right up at the top of our forwards, ahead of Bruce and Naughton (in his games as a forward) and behind only Dickson (who also can't get a game BTW).

Given the shambles of a forward structure we have right now he appeals as a far better option than whatever alternatives have been proposed, other than Naughton. Just hoping he is now 100% over his latest concussion.

Our biggest problem is maturity.

When one of the most senior players in the team is appointed Vice Captain and then self destructs his season (especially when one of his major roles is conducting how the side operates), then you know you have a problem.

JJ in the leadership squad and Wallis not being in it goes to show the players have NFI where direction should come from.
He is in the leadership group. Should be VC, at least.

-

He has had two chances this year. Kicked two (should have been 4 but robbed by umps) in his first game and was one of our best. Combined well with Bruce who kicked 6. The second game he was poor.

If we're talking about blokes who have done little with their opportunities over the last year or so we should focus on players like Gowers and Roarke Smith before Schache. I doubt he'll ever be a 50 goals a year forward but he might fit into a revised structure and game plan quite well.

Since coming to the Dogs he has averaged 1.5 goals a game. That ranks him right up at the top of our forwards, ahead of Bruce and Naughton (in his games as a forward) and behind only Dickson (who also can't get a game BTW).

Given the shambles of a forward structure we have right now he appeals as a far better option than whatever alternatives have been proposed, other than Naughton. Just hoping he is now 100% over his latest concussion.

Using goals as a justification is like saying Lloyd had a better game than Wallis last night.

Schache's game style simply doesn't suit our handball happy style. Hard to be a lead up forward when instead of choosing to honour leads we handball instead to break the line.

Young would have been more use last night. Or English forward with another ruck instead. Credit where credit is due. Port Adelaide (like other good teams) force you to blaze long when the pressure is high. Our forward line should be built to match that style (very similar in the way to Cordy forward in 2016 to bring the ball to ground).

Bruce is a leading forward, not a pack mark forward. We are Trying to turn him into something he’s not suited to. The bulking up presumably isn’t because he’s a lard boy or he’d be dropped. It must be a club directive.

Those calling for Schache - he’s concussed but he’s unplayable at the moment. Yes Gowers was picked but Schache has been given more chances & is plainly not up to it. That might change but he needs to work his way back through the VFL when it starts again. He’s not the answer.

I’m concerned that we’re always going to have a few players out injured. Our injury list is about average for an AFL list at the moment. List management is starting to become a growing concern. We don’t have enough players in the 150 - 250 with leadership & sufficient hardness.
Concerning that Schache is still not ready due to the concussion as it seems a while ago. He’s had a few now.

Using goals as a justification is like saying Lloyd had a better game than Wallis last night.
I don't think Lloyd had a better game than Wallis but I think Lloyd's game last night has been undervalued. He had some awful moments and his pressure is always not enough, but he buzzed around taking marks when nobody else could, capitalising on opportunities, and contributing to others' opportunities. 7 score involvements is a solid outing on a night where we couldn't score at all.

Without Wallis or Lloyd last night I'm not convinced we would have scored.

Schache's game style simply doesn't suit our handball happy style. Hard to be a lead up forward when instead of choosing to honour leads we handball instead to break the line.

Young would have been more use last night. Or English forward with another ruck instead. Credit where credit is due. Port Adelaide (like other good teams) force you to blaze long when the pressure is high. Our forward line should be built to match that style (very similar in the way to Cordy forward in 2016 to bring the ball to ground).
Well that's obviously a silly comparison and missing my point. You don't take goals over 1 game to assess a player.

I was talking about Schache's 43 goals over 29 games for us. That's a large enough sample to take seriously.

No I'm not saying Schache's the definitive answer. I don't think he'll be a star and I'm sure he'll have bad games but he offers a change in our forward set up that could hardly be worse than last night's structure. No problems if we want to try Lewis Young there either. But whatever we do we need to give it a handful of games, not give up after one game.

I was just making the point that it's incorrect to say Schache is "plainly not up to it". That's pretty unfair on a 22yo 199cm player.

Should have won that game, what a waste, we overuse the ball and invite turnovers into our game, have to know when to kick. We start one player short every week by Bevo insisting on playing guys like Gowers, R Smith, Gardener etc. We would have lost no run at all last night playing and extra tall instead of R Smith, hes not up to it, move on Bevo.

Trengove is very much a horses for courses player and should have played last night. Can do a job on the big big forwards like Dixon, Lynch, Hawkins and if one of them do get hold of him he can go into the ruck and English can go forward.

JJ has been a liability this year, his disposal has been terrible. Time to play to his strengths, use his closing speed, set shot kicking and his a good overhead mark up forward. Moving him forward opens up a spot for Richards at half back and can leave the wings to Hunter, Lipinski and Vandermeer. Id also drop Wood for Dureya when he fit, Woods disposal is terrible and if hes not intercepting he doesn't offer much.

Bruce needs help, Naughton cant come back quickly enough. We also need to play our natural forwards down there, a combination of Dickson, Dale, Schache and Weightman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back