perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I think we set up poorly at the first bounce and couldn’t reset.

Add to that we did play poorly also BUT they took every chance we gave them which is kudos to them. We have given a few teams chances this year and they didn’t take them.

The positive for me is if they are the best team in the comp they really don’t worry me if we can get injured blokes back later in the year unless Bev is outcoached again which I firmly believe was the start of the issue and everything fell from there.

As I said I dont see either of those teams holding up the cup at years end as we both agree on our weaknesses and Melbourne just don’t do it for me for some reason. Cats clear favs in my book now
Cats midfield is slow and old/ I can't see them winning. True contenders are Brisbane, Melbourne, Richmond and Doggies. Cats are outsiders. the way they played against Collingwood today and other games, they look meh.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I get we were sh*t last night but can't stomach melbourne flogs saying we lack skill and talent
And yet they were happy to bleat last week they lost because Salem didn't play. Can't have it both ways either injuries have an impact or they don't.
And we are missing far more best 22 players. They played well Friday but they weren't a miles better side. If we don't kick so poorly in the first quarter probably a very different looking game.
They wouldn't be causing Bevo amy sleepless nights very beatable team. We just had a mare!

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
they wernt tagged, were they? I think they played too timidly, possibly under instruction.
A bit hard to answer that with any degree of certainty from TV coverage alone.

However, it's possible (a theory) what Melbourne did is identify in whose hands they would like it (Cordy) and set up around Williams and Daniel etc (but not necessarily a hard tag- just guard space around them) to make sure they weren't the primary distributors. Effectively allow Cordy to have the ball under lesser pressure to force him to be the one to distribute (as much as possible) and maybe take the risk of trying to find Williams and Daniel by foot.
I remember Geelong doing exactly that to West in 07. They let him have the ball in the back pockets and hbf and stood off him. Worked a treat.

Cordy played alright I thought but you'd rather Williams with the 381 and Cordy with the 186.

I watched most of the first half again and really there were a couple of significant brain fades/skill errors by senior players (Libba, Daniel and Macrae) that cost us dearly and Lipi had an absolute mare defensively and in the contest. I'd back the senior players to not have too many of those moments over the course of the season. Lipi, however, is a known quantity defensively. McLean or VDM, an abrasive finals type player, will ultimately replace him and there's probably room for both.

We still have an undeclared hand with more than a few cards up our sleeve, some important outs and with time to build momentum and shape our finals team which is likely to look quite different. And whilst Melbourne are no doubt a good side, their personnel and style are pretty well exposed with not many surprises to come. It was a good game to analyse, as much as we could, and MC should get a lot out of it.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A bit hard to answer that with any degree of certainty from TV coverage alone.

However, it's possible (a theory) what Melbourne did is identify in whose hands they would like it (Cordy) and set up around Williams and Daniel etc (but not necessarily a hard tag- just guard space around them) to make sure they weren't the primary distributors. Effectively allow Cordy to have the ball under lesser pressure to force him to be the one to distribute (as much as possible) and maybe take the risk of trying to find Williams and Daniel by foot.
I remember Geelong doing exactly that to West in 07. They let him have the ball in the back pockets and hbf and stood off him. Worked a treat.

Cordy played alright I thought but you'd rather Williams with the 381 and Cordy with the 186.

I watched most of the first half again and really there were a couple of significant brain fades/skill errors by senior players (Libba, Daniel and Macrae) that cost us dearly and Lipi had an absolute mare defensively and in the contest. I'd back the senior players to not have too many of those moments over the course of the season. Lipi, however, is a known quantity defensively. McLean or VDM, an abrasive finals type player, will ultimately replace him and there's probably room for both.

We still have an undeclared hand with more than a few cards up our sleeve, some important outs and with time to build momentum and shape our finals team which is likely to look quite different. And whilst Melbourne are no doubt a good side, their personnel and style are pretty well exposed with not many surprises to come. It was a good game to analyse, as much as we could, and MC should get a lot out of it.

The change up of having a JJ be instructed to get back and provide a running option for a handball for Cordy is an obvious option. This forces one of their players to have to run with JJ and not be stationed near Williams/Daniel.

There was also a lot of other moves that we could have made during the game and I was surprised that the coaches decided to not change things up.

My theory was that they either hadn’t practiced the change up OR they were keeping their cards hidden.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given the Dees often copy parts of our game plan, is it plausible to think Bevo kept his moves close to his chest and that's why no moves were made as such. He has seen how we play against them in real time and now knows what options he has for any future match ups against the Dees. At round 11, plenty of time to tweak things, but I'd be expecting a bit more of a tactical battle in our second clash at the G.

I started watching Norf and Saints but turned over to Finding Bigfoot

I've been listening to paranormal and true crime podcasts since halfway through the 2nd quarter of our game.....nothing bigfoot focused this week. (Ooh! Big Foot / BigFooty!!!) :laughing:

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I currently have the dees, dogs, lions, cats as the only flag chances at the half way mark which is a reasonable sample size. I think the Tigers are rated a chance only because of past history, they in a battle to make the 8 not the top 4.

Injuries will play a big part and so will positions of the ladder. I do not think anyone would want to play the Lions at the Gabba in week 1. We do currently have a game and 20% advantage over the lions and cats with a 11 to go so that is a fair advantage to finish top 2.

I believe with Dunkley and Treloar in we have the best midfield. Comparing best 22 to the dogs and breaking it down to backs, mids, forwards and rucks .

Backs, Mids, Forward, Ruck

Dees L W E L
Lions L W E E
Cats L W L W

The dees have an advantage in backs and rucks and we win the midfield and break even in forward line strength. Overall we break even with the cats and lions. Not surprising our backline is inferior to the other contenders mainly because of the need for another quality tall.

I think the dees make the GF and we are in battle with the cats and lions to make the big dance based on best 22.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those saying that we didn't make any changes:

What makes you think that we didn't? The fact that you didn't see it? Much harder to see what's going on off the ball when you're watching on TV. I'd be astounded if we didn't try a few things.

Bevo regularly talks about changes made during the game but they’re not often apparent

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The pile on has begun

It has it's advantages - close up and personal gig with Midnight Oil at the Royal Theatre in 2019. Not some distanced Melb Music Bowl one where you can't see anything.

Hobdog

Premiership Player
May 20, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It has it's advantages - close up and personal gig with Midnight Oil at the Royal Theatre in 2019. Not some distanced Melb Music Bowl one where you can't see anything.

I’ve been here since 2016 and by all reports, it’s a much better place to live these days. Can say the same about my home town, Hobart.

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Half way through reading this...

Even premiership winning teams lose a few games of football.

We are a good team. We are 9-2. Best percentage in the AFL clear by 12%. I’m liking this a lot.

Let’s look at the Home & Away record of the last 4 premiers:

15-7 (2017)

16-6 (2018)

16-6 (2019)

12-4-1 (2020)*

*17 games played.

Plenty of games lost there by the Tigers and Eagles. We are tracking better at this stage but bigger challengers await.

We’ve beaten contenders in Brisbane, WCE and Port Adelaide.

Yes. Melbourne beat us. They were the better team. No doubt. They deserve the spoils. Same with Richmond a few weeks back.

We have a lot to learn from this weekend’s loss but let’s keep it in perspective. We had arguably between 5-7 of our best 22 out. Most team’s lose against good opposition in such a scenario.

A lot more water to go under the bridge, but with the right mindset, planning and hard work and some luck with injuries, we will be in with a shot come September.

I’m not buying the negativity pills being sold on here by the usual vendors.

I don’t understand why some posters still don’t rate the Dees. It reminds one of Hitler underrating the Russians while they closed in on Berlin.
They lost to Adelaide last week, were underwhelming against North where they had to rely on North being short on the bench to overrun them in the last quarter, arguably should have lost at home with a bit worse luck v Sydney.

I get that they've also had some good wins. But their four worst games are worse than our four worst games so far this season, undoubtedly.

Can that Melbourne flog rhaz be banned from here... he's liking and laughing at posts
Why do you care? They are liking and laughing at posts we all know to be true.
There's a reason there were so little melts on here after the loss. Demons are a good side, but they were basically at full strength, jumped us early and scored heavily from uncharacteristic turnovers yet only won by 5 goals. We've all seen what our team is capable of, I don't think there's much to be concerned about. If they think that's funny, well, good on 'em I guess. It's not really the attitude I'd have following a club so starved of any success but each to their own.

I don’t understand why some posters still don’t rate the Dees. It reminds one of Hitler underrating the Russians while they closed in on Berlin.
They are a good team, for sure. One of the top handful of the league, definitely.
Based on what I've seen of them this season, and how they played on Friday compared to our usual standard I just don't think it was super concerning.
There were games against certain sides in our 2008-2010 run that really worried me as it was obvious they just had our number. I'm just no where near that with Melbourne.
Richmond actually worry me a lot more, as their core gamestyle is the antithesis of ours.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy with 381 metres gained (4th highest for the Dogs) was not the result we were looking for I imagine. Fair play to the Dees for keeping Caleb and Williams especially to 318 and 196 respectively.

Yep, the Dees worked us out coming out of the backline. Cordy, with his god-awful limited kicking was left as the kicker.

Back