Autopsy Dogs lose to the Tankers 103 - 51

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone has belted Schache, including me, but no one in here has had a go at Bruce. How did he go tonight? And before you tell me it wasn’t a night for big men, how did Harry McKay go down the other end?
Our delivery forward was woeful didn't give our big blokes a decent chance. We are in desperate need of a quality small forward we butchered a lot of solid opportunities

Isn't that the issue with Schache though? He needs time, space and a lace out pass to be effective...anyone can be effective in that circumstance.
Vandemeer was your best forward and could have had a big night if he kicked straighter. Bruce at least appeared to try hard and get to good spots, even if it didn't result in much on the night.

As a tall key forward, you need to be able to be physical and have some kind of impact even if the ball isn't coming in an ideal fashion...unfortunately he just doesn't seem to have the necessary desire/mongrel to make it, which is a shame. IMO a bit similar to McCarthy from Freo & Weideman from Melbourne...other high draft pick, talented tall forwards who haven't made it for seemingly a similar reason.
Yes, I agree with you about Schache going missing at times, or when things are tough. In spite of that, I still think he is a developing player. The potential is there. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. I still think he has a lot of up. these big kids take longer to the develop.

I don't really remember Schache being a F50 target at all. 2 touches in 57% game time is pretty bad.

Was he playing a decoy role or just not used as a forward target?

I don't really remember Schache being a F50 target at all. 2 touches in 57% game time is pretty bad.

Was he playing a decoy role or just not used as a forward target?

Someone hit him on the chest in the second qtr and he spilled it. It was a low ball but as a forward that is your bread and butter.

I've said my peace as to the reasons for this loss, but while it wasn't this reason, it still strikes me as something which is very apparent :

We still don't have a full back.

Cordy and Keath are both very serviceable in the roles they play, but neither can go with a tall forward with decent burst of speed. So what we have here are 2nd and 3rd tall defenders.

In 2016 we had Morris and Hamling who were essentially both capable of playing full-back and spoiling a leading forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said my peace as to the reasons for this loss, but while it wasn't this reason, it still strikes me as something which is very apparent :

We still don't have a full back.

Cordy and Keath are both very serviceable in the roles they play, but neither can go with a tall forward with decent burst of speed. So what we have here are 2nd and 3rd tall defenders.

In 2016 we had Morris and Hamling who were essentially both capable of playing full-back and spoiling a leading forward.
True but it’s clear to me it’s by design and Bevo wants it that way. Rightly or wrongly.

True but it’s clear to me it’s by design and Bevo wants it that way. Rightly or wrongly.

Gardner got two games at FB despite being nowhere near our best 22. I would guess he just doesn't rate Trengove or Le Young and right now it's either Garnder or no proper full back.

Carlton pulled our pants down and embarrassed us. don’t have a go at their supporters being up and about or young Sam Walsh or Cripps or anything... Wear it and move on.

They sure did, but it’s Round 6, just got to cool their jets a fraction. They smashed a team of witches hats to be fair.

It was always going to be a struggle with a really young side travelling interstate on a wet day against a side that generally eeks out good performances against us for some reason. We were coming off 3 exceptional performances, it really felt like we drank our own bathwater particularly in the first qtr.

We didnt play to the conditions at all and were chasing all game.

Our selections let us down, I felt we lacked a genuine small forward. VDM was our only option up there. West showed that he is a mid plugging the small forward hole by flying for stupid marks and not being at the feet of the contest.

We had no drive from our backline which has been a major factor in our high scoring over the past month. JJ was a liability tonight and it looked like they dragged Williams right deep in their 50 which made him ineffectual. I thought Butler looked good albeit he had average disposal and was a bit fumbly.

Richards was barely sighted and offered no run.

Our midfield got slaughtered. Bont was average and Macrae and Smith shouldered the load. English was smacked. But he will be better for it in a few years. Posters disagree with me but I'd love some pure speed in our guts to break lines.

Keath should be leading our BNF and was exceptional tonight. Cordy continues his good form imo.

I really hope we can adapt to playing our best game away from Etihad. No better way to learn this with the hubs!
Bruce was a spectator for about 99% of the game
I feel that our panicked delivery made it that way for our forwards , no composure with ball in hand on the night. We were down all across the park

It’s been an indictment on our supposedly elite midfield that when things have gone bad, Pies, saints and blues games it’s been smith that’s lead the way and tried to create some momentum whilst our so called elite mids have gone missing
Does any one know if the Bont is carrying an injury as his output has been way down.
It wouldn't be the first time he has come up against a hard tag.
Just seems like something is not quite right with him

Reckon you’re spot on with the midfield comment. Our defence only works when sufficient pressure is applied in the middle of the ground. Otherwise the ball comes in too quickly and we look very exposed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Can be said of any side if the midfield doesn't put on defensive pressure they will get chopped up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back