Autopsy Dogs lose to the Tankers 103 - 51

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like you're putting most of the blame on Bevo and his coaching offsiders.
Is that a fair interpretation, or are you suggesting it's partly an onfield leadership problem?

there was definitely a lack or effort but the structures were a massive problem IMO. Be that on field or off field driven I’m not 100% sure - probably both but the fact Carlton does the same s**t against us every time makes me think the box was asleep.

People are being too hard on schache. with 30 percent entry efficiency the guy does not stand a chance. we just had a shocker. give schache space and a proper kick and he is a different player. btw i think we missed crozier big time. but overall we had a shocker. some young players may need to be dropped. eg. butler for crozier and west for dicko. experience takes time. both these players lack it. i would give richards another chance.
He would stand a chance if he actually worked hard defensively and actually ran to try and create more space. If the forward 50 entries are poor, then apply pressure, tackle, bring the ball to ground, win the ball, run and create space etc, to try and keep the ball inside 50 and create scoring opportunities. Even if the opposition win the ball and get it out of the 50, they won't be able to do it so easily and effectively if you apply pressure and do the defensive stuff. I can honestly accept no scoreboard impact on a day like that, but next to no defensive effort is unacceptable (especially if you only had 2 disposals for the entire match). Richards for example was fumbly as hell and made mistakes, but at least he tried doing something. Dale couldn't get near it, but at least he applied forward pressure and at least try to get the contest. As bad as some were, everyone else at least tried. I don't I've ever seen an AFL footballer as lazy and have less work ethic than Schache on a bad day. This isn't the first time either, as he has had several low-effort performances in the past.

Out-vegetabled by a team sprinkled with potatoes. We were roasted and mashed, by players like McKay and even McGovern (5 goals) - they would both fail to make the current AFL All Australian potato team as they are over-qualifried. I imagined there were a bunch of red, white and blue Brussels sprouts running around, only the ones wearing #6, #23 and #42 gave the impression they weren't miniature cabbages.

Didn’t realise Carlton won a grand final last night, must be cute to have to celebrate every win like it was a grand final because your wins are so few.

Carlton Melbourne and St Kilda the three teams that keep getting talked about as young and developing when their age profiles and experience say they should be contending

Carlton have been s*** for 20 years. That’s a hell of a long rebuild and they’re still nowhere near it yet.

Ah well, if a win in Round 6 makes them happy...

Missed the game, but from scanning the articles, carlton applies a tonne of pressure to us and we crumbled? Does that sum it up.

How did hunter play - I see he got the most possies on the ground, and the most meters gained.

The stats suggest we had the edge in possession and getting the ball inside 50, but the score.... Im assuming we handballed a lot under their pressure and bombed long when we could, but let them take it away too easily and hit targets by foot going the other way?

Also vandameer with 3 marks inside 50? did he play forward or just run really hard to get on the end of it? And how did his opponents go?

Missed the game, but from scanning the articles, carlton applies a tonne of pressure to us and we crumbled? Does that sum it up.

How did hunter play - I see he got the most possies on the ground, and the most meters gained.

The stats suggest we had the edge in possession and getting the ball inside 50, but the score.... Im assuming we handballed a lot under their pressure and bombed long when we could, but let them take it away too easily and hit targets by foot going the other way?

Also vandameer with 3 marks inside 50? did he play forward or just run really hard to get on the end of it? And how did his opponents go?

Hunter was good. Used the ball well.

The way the game played out we'd make a shallow entry and Carlton would waltz it out through the centre and kick long to a contest at their half forward which they'd win and then have players open everywhere for easy goals out the back. They also pulled off some arsey goals. They played really well.

Vandemeer was good. Missed a couple of gettable shots but was probably our best in the forward half of the ground.

They applied a ton of pressure and shook us early - three HTB against us in their fwd 50 in the first quarter alone. We steadied in that regard after the first quarter but the damage was done. There were maybe a couple of moments we bungled up that might have changed the outcome and really narrowed the margin, but we never looked likely to do so, and the margin obviously blew out in the end anyway.

I think that was a great game from Hunter. The way he came out reminded me a bit of how Cordy and McLean responded after being dropped.

Yeah we did well enough winning the ball and clearances, but Carlton were a) clogging up our fwd50 and b) our fwd50 efficiency was absolutely deplorable. We would overhandball, they knew we'd turn it over, and they were running hard to get those turnover goals. They got quite a few turnover goals, we didn't, made it impossible to come back really.

Vandermeer spent a bit of time up forward, we seem to be really warming up to playing him there. But he's getting better every game.

Pressure was only part of it. They won the centre clearances (especially early when they set up their win). They didn't fiddle with unnecessary handballs. They were tactically better, forcing us either to bomb it high to a well-stacked defence or to handball under pressure looking for a clean f50 entry from about 70m out. We probably outplayed them across most of the park in the 2nd and 3rd quarters but not inside our f50.

Solid return doing what Hunter does. One of our best that is not saying a lot. Not hugely influential but it was good to have him back. His kicking wasn't too bad.

See above. However it wasn't just the pressure. We chose to handball our way into trouble even from free kicks/marks when we could have driven it forward. The flooded 50 created doubt and our youth/inexperience also worked against us with some poor decision making.

Seemed to play mostly deep forward. Got on the end of a fortunate handpass in the goal square for his first goal but could have had four goals as he missed two easy ones. He was the best of our forwards by a fair margin. A four-gamer!

Coupled with:

- Poor selections, again: going 3 talls on the forward line in wet/slippery conditions
- Overuse of the handball again, why why why does Bev keep up with that sh*t tactic
- Players failing to hold tackles, having our poor tackling at the contested footy exposed and not being paid for HTN/Incorrect disposal
- Several players just not in the game tonight, poor night for Bont, JJ, Macrae, Shache, Daniel, Richards, McLean
- Playing Engish when Trengove was more suited to the conditions

Embarrassing nonetheless

Have at it

Gee I reckon you've missed a few with your list of ineffectual players - well you got some right. i'd say 80% of the team as ineffectual and we were still in it until Laith missed the shot he shouldn't have had at the start of the 4th - lets not even talk about the HTB not paid at the end of the 3rd. 2015/16 Wood turned into 2017 forward Wood, Jj was s**t, Shache & Bruce s**t (conditions played a part, also delivery into F50 - welcome back loopy kick Lachie), Dale s**t, English rucked well for Carlton, his hitouts to their advantage were sublime...so many passengers to name them all. The only 3 I could confidently say put in all night were Keath, Baz and Laith.

The funny thing is, I think someone mentioned somewhere that Carlton had lost it at selection by taking Mackay and other big guys into the game - he marked everything, just like he did round 5 last year

Write it off, we always lose to St'k and Carlton at least once a year, so we've got them both out of the way now... move on and spew about the loss of % which will be vital this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week Schache was our most natural forward and Lachie Hunter might struggle to find a spot in the team. A weeks a long time on Bigfooty. :)

Strangely the player I’m most disappointed in was Rhylee West. Didn’t attack the footy and every decision he made (with and without the ball) was wrong. A baffling performance indeed.
Fronk I noticed you gave a vote to Wallis in the Ching. I have liked his work the last year or so even if it's only as a low-key forward.

While he wasn't our worst I didn't see much of a contribution from him last night compared to what he normally does. He only had the one kick (a goal). Perhaps I missed something, maybe his work off the ball.

What did you see in his game?

Schache was useless. Didn't even try. Should bring in someone like Lewis Young to replacement.
Bruce tried (well, to some extent), but players kept getting in his way or was double-teamed.
JJ just can't seem to do anything against an actual opponent. Please at least try and throw him onto the wing.
Wood once again struggled playing as a key defender against a much bigger opponent. Probably should've bought in third tall defender to free him up.
Richards is out of form, and needs to be dropped.

One positive is Hunter though, who's seemed to tidy up his kicking a bit.
I saw Lachie Hunter hit Bont with a well weighted pass on his right foot. I was stunned, didn't realise it was physically possible for Lachie to kick with his right. Had to do a double take to ensure it really was Lachie. Mind you, he really had no other option at the time...

Gee I reckon you've missed a few with your list of ineffectual players - well you got some right. i'd say 80% of the team as ineffectual and we were still in it until Laith missed the shot he shouldn't have had at the start of the 4th - lets not even talk about the HTB not paid at the end of the 3rd. 2015/16 Wood turned into 2017 forward Wood, Jj was sh*t, Shache & Bruce sh*t (conditions played a part, also delivery into F50 - welcome back loopy kick Lachie), Dale sh*t, English rucked well for Carlton, his hitouts to their advantage were sublime...so many passengers to name them all. The only 3 I could confidently say put in all night were Keath, Baz and Laith.

The funny thing is, I think someone mentioned somewhere that Carlton had lost it at selection by taking Mackay and other big guys into the game - he marked everything, just like he did round 5 last year

Write it off, we always lose to St'k and Carlton at least once a year, so we've got them both out of the way now... move on and spew about the loss of % which will be vital this year

Not an exhaustive list, I agree that a lot of the team under performed last night. It was frustrating to see a number of experienced players just not putting in the effort at times making it hard to watch. I just dont agree with those who base stats on paper as a measure of a player having a good game. There were a few out there who had enough of the ball yet made little impact across the 4 quarters.

Aside from losing, it was also just a crap game of footy. Been like that all weekend.

Night games in Queensland where it’s very dewy is just a sh*t product.

Fumbles, dropped or juggled marks, skills down all-round.

Just call the season over.

Carlton must have had superglue on their hands then...didn't seem to worry them

Was ok without being great, needs to build match fitness

Keep the kids in the side we think have a future - this season is a joke anyway. Might as well get some development out of it.

West and Vandermeer need to stay in for the rest of the year.

Would like to keep Butler and give him some continuity however he’s the obvious out for Crozier unfortunately due to the position he plays.

And for the 1000000th time I’m calling for a Weightman debut.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you'd have West, Laith and Weightman all up forward? Light on for experience...or maybe a masterstroke?

I think one of Bruce's efforts in the last quarter was a sample of the team. A blues player had the ball within less than a metre and he did not even make an effort to tackle.

We lost this game because Carlton's game plan was better than ours on the night as simple as that.

We won the disposal count, we won the inside 50's, yet lost the game comfortably on the scoreboard.

Carlton forwards pushed back, helped out in defence and then went long and straight into an open forward line.

The question i ask is why didn't at least 1 of our forwards sacrifice his game and push up into defence.

Our forward line is too crowded most weeks as we play the territorial game with our defenders pushing high every week. Looks good when we win, yet awful when we lose as a lot of the time we still have more of the footy than the opposition but lose due to easy goals through open forward lines.

We better realise fast that metricon is a larger ground than Etihad and we can't close up space as easy.

I was at the game and just couldnt help but think that maybe Bev didn’t have access to a forecast or was inside a windowless room the last 3 days . Wet greasy conditions called for a re evaluation of the team. I would have thought maybe a tall forward out for trengrove or Sweet to support English in the ruck Given that wet football = more stoppages . Don’t forget a resting English can more than play as a tall forward (We were murdered in the ruck contests all night ), and Maybe find room for a more experienced player such as suckling ..
Instead we gambled with the same dry weather team that smoked north , and it seemed to backfire while carltons gamble paid off .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back