Autopsy Dogs lose to Tigers - Rd 7, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries not withstanding, Round 16 vs norf is the time to pick JUH.
Gives him time to meet a required baseline fitness level, he misses enough of the winter grind to get though the remainder of the season and enough time to build synergy with the midfield and fellow forwards leading into September....

Dunkley for mine, the way the best midfield in the competition went missing in the 2nd half, particularly the 3rd quarter, didn't win 1 takeaway from a centre bounce. That's far more disturbing than the loss.
Oh I agree but I was referring to us being well beaten in repeat sprints.

Agreed. Except qualify it with:

- Melbourne are also 6-0 and about to go 7-0 and get a massive percentage boost.
- Port Adelaide are flying and if they beat a fairly average Brisbane team will also go 6-1.
- Geelong might be hitting their straps and will lift from 4-2.
- Richmond are now 4-3 and hitting the easy stretch of their draw.
- Dogs now face a pretty tricky stretch including two trips to Perth, one to AO for Port, and one to the Geelong dung heap.

Still happy? Unless we’re genuinely good we’ll be lucky to come out of this stretch at 9-5. It’s big boy time, we’ll know a lot more about this team in two months.
So Port got thumped and Cats lost to Sydney who have slid down the ladder in recent weeks. Maybe, just maybe, things aren't so bad..

We just looked buggered after half time.

Our first half was manic and we simply couldn’t keep it up. We know our best is competitive and rarely do you win 6 let alone 7 in a row.

As far as losses being a better learning tool than a win I feel this is a perfect example of that.

I’ve read a lot of comments about our fringe players not being up to it etc etc. But it was our stars who didn’t turn up that cost us this game (Libba and Naughton excluded).
Bont had as bad of a game as I’ve seen from him, Macrae didn’t really have an impact and Smith and Treloar were pretty meh.
i reckon we only had 3 winners on the night - Libba, Dale and Naughton

I’ve read a lot of comments about our fringe players not being up to it etc etc. But it was our stars who didn’t turn up that cost us this game (Libba and Naughton excluded).
Bont had as bad of a game as I’ve seen from him, Macrae didn’t really have an impact and Smith and Treloar were pretty meh.
i reckon we only had 3 winners on the night - Libba, Dale and Naughton

We struggled with their pressure.

Cannot agree, Marcus has brought us home many times to get the 4 points. 2016 finals from memory had an impact. Sure he has been beaten up by GWS with no support from his mates.

Sure we can all name games where individuals don't perform. I can also recall a Friday night game against Port in the Wet where our captain almost single handedly beat Port in driving rain. We are all entitled to opinions , he could go down as the Best Footscray/Western Bulldog of all time.
Back on track, it was a great lesson for us and rather now than later.
Cheers
Stephen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh, good loss to take I reckon. Needed a bit of a reality check, I felt like that one hurt for the players too. We started fantastically, but the tigers turned it up to a level we haven’t seen yet this year and we weren’t ready for it. Next time we will be. For how poor we were in the 2nd half we were only a few small moments away from being a red hot chance. Few umpiring decisions in the 3rd really helped keep their momentum going while we were struggling to halt it. Bont & Lip missing sodas. Bruce anytime he went near the ball, a few players reminding us they’re not up to it + a couple of guys coming back into the team in extremely challenging circumstances and struggling to adjust.

I don’t think by any stretch was our system shown up, if anything it held up well to keep us in the game with so many passengers, our stars down on output and some bad luck against us. Every team has had their bad day, look at Melbourne right now. Port last night. Richmond last week. WCE just about every week, Geelong, brissy etc

We’re going well and we’ll be so much better for this loss. Watch out blues & Port

Sure we can all name games where individuals don't perform. I can also recall a Friday night game against Port in the Wet where our captain almost single handedly beat Port in driving rain. We are all entitled to opinions , he could go down as the Best Footscray/Western Bulldog of all time.
Back on track, it was a great lesson for us and rather now than later.
Cheers
Stephen

I was at that game - Sat night I think. Basically everyone else in AO fumbling in the torrential rain and he looked like he had his own dry ball. Awesome performance.

We were flat all night - even during the first quarter, when Richmond at times looked lost.
Hard to know what to make of it because when the game was to be won in the last we continued to coast. Only one team was playing with passion and it was not us.

Concerns for me was that West, Schache and Cordy just looked woeful.

It's not just Cordy's one on one weaknesses against big forwards, what really hurts is that he has no confidence in his own decision making or kicking - so vacant team mates in a great positions 40-50 meters away are ignored because Cordy is uncomfortable executing and will instead pass safely 15 meters backwards or sideways. This occurred at least on 6 occasions and that's 6 additional inside 50s we missed.

The other thing that really really worries me is Hunter's reluctance to kick at goal when he is 15 meters out directly in front. This has happened a couple of times this season already and I have this horrible fear it is going to cost us a big final. The minutes before half time, Bont was given a free in a marking contest and the ball spilled to Hunter alone directly in front of goal 13 meters out and no opponent in front of him - I can't imagine any other player in the league not taking the advantage and grubbing the ball thru. Bont missed that and should not have but Hunter was in a better position and just has to take that shot. A forward who refuses to take that shot should not be in forward line.

He did something similar a few weeks ago - the kick was there - the same position no one ahead of him 14 meters out and he handball it to someone in a worse position. On that occasion, we got the goal but it's still wrong.

As for the rest of the game - it's a long season - we were no so bad and Richmond are beatable.

Bont also goes missing in big games quite a bit.

I wouldn't say he went missing, 26 disposals, his career average. It was the quality of his disposals. Leaving aside missing the sitter on the half time siren, the only kick I recall hitting a target was the dinky pass to Schache when Bont should have been able to kick it anyway. He regularly delivered over the heads of or behind team mates and can someone tell him that over the head handball might look clever if they come off, none did on Friday night, tell Smith, too.

We were flat all night - even during the first quarter, when Richmond at times looked lost.
Hard to know what to make of it because when the game was to be won in the last we continued to coast. Only one team was playing with passion and it was not us.

Concerns for me was that West, Schache and Cordy just looked woeful.

It's not just Cordy's one on one weaknesses against big forwards, what really hurts is that he has no confidence in his own decision making or kicking - so vacant team mates in a great positions 40-50 meters away are ignored because Cordy is uncomfortable executing and will instead pass safely 15 meters backwards or sideways. This occurred at least on 6 occasions and that's 6 additional inside 50s we missed.

The other thing that really really worries me is Hunter's reluctance to kick at goal when he is 15 meters out directly in front. This has happened a couple of times this season already and I have this horrible fear it is going to cost us a big final. The minutes before half time, Bont was given a free in a marking contest and the ball spilled to Hunter alone directly in front of goal 13 meters out and no opponent in front of him - I can't imagine any other player in the league not taking the advantage and grubbing the ball thru. Bont missed that and should not have but Hunter was in a better position and just has to take that shot. A forward who refuses to take that shot should not be in forward line.

He did something similar a few weeks ago - the kick was there - the same position no one ahead of him 14 meters out and he handball it to someone in a worse position. On that occasion, we got the goal but it's still wrong.

As for the rest of the game - it's a long season - we were no so bad and Richmond are beatable.
great point on Cordy, and probably the thing bevo will hate as well, multiple times he saw the optimal 40 metre option and didnt pull the trigger.

We struggled with their pressure.
We also didn't match their pressure. We completely fell apart in the third.

Same story in 2019 and 2020.

Bont also goes missing in big games quite a bit.
I can see where you're coming from with this. Bont can go missing big time on occasion especially with his leadership and decision making. But equally he has had some massive match winning performances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back