Autopsy Dogs lose to Tigers - Rd 7, 2021

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Bont, my theory is that he takes things too personally, and tries too hard.

if he’d relax a bit, I don’t think he would miss from 15 m out. He shouldn’t be expected to pull us out of the fire all the time. How about someone else putting their hand up for once.

In 2016, we had Morris, Boyd and picken doing inspirational things- club really needs more leaders in games like Friday night.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also how good is Bailey Dale going, I think he’s genuinely the best kick in the comp coming out of the backline. Good to see Daniel getting more involved again too, can’t wait to see this trio firing with Williams back. A hell of a lot of upside in the way we can move the ball from half back with those 3. Elite, all of them.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Dunkley for mine, the way the best midfield in the competition went missing in the 2nd half, particularly the 3rd quarter, didn't win 1 takeaway from a centre bounce. That's far more disturbing than the loss.
We missed endeavour and guts and determination. That is what we missed. we were given a lesson on pressure footy. we have to learn from that. if we do, we must thank Richmond. I am sure Bevo will be making this as a big issue this week.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know I shouldn't be but I am surprised at a lot of the melt down style posts in this thread. Actually had to skip most pages as it was getting painful reading them.

Hence I will focus my post on putting some perspective on the loss, which I recognise was disappointing given it was in a hyped up prime time game against the defending champs.

Firstly, we have been up for a while and were due for an off game, whilst Richmond have been up and down so far in 2021 and really needed a win to keep up with the rest of ladder leaders. The stakes were a lot higher for them and it showed.

Whilst the media talked up Richmond's outs, I would argue we were actually more impacted by injury losses than they were. We have had 5 changes two weeks in a row with an already young and relatively inexperienced side. The absence of key players like Dunkley, English and Williams also has a larger impact on our side than most media pundits would realise. This was only Schache's third AFL game since the 2019 elimination final, and coming back from long term injury he has to fit into a complicated three tall structure (and play back up ruck), along side Hannan (1st game for the club) and West 1st game for the year (only 8th overall). It shouldn't be too surprising that our forward line didn't function as well it had in preceding games.

Which brings me to another issue I have with a lot of the posts in the thread criticising our defence and Zaine Cordy in particular. What the hell is up with that? Lynch scored 2 goals on Cordy and 1 on Keath. Naughton scored 3 too, but I doubt anyone is screaming for any defender heads on the Tiger's forum. Our defence was not where we lost this game. In fact they were largely responsible for us leading early by keeping Richmond to such a low 1st half score. With the amount of supply coming in, they had their hands full and battled away to keep Richmond to 77 points. Bev was right on the money with his press conference comments!

Richmond obviously did their homework this week, they came with a plan and stifled the midfield dominance that we had displayed in our previous matches. They were also very physical, contesting every pass and driving us into the ground at every opportunity, seemingly treating it like a final. It got them the desired result. Many of our less experienced players started anticipating the inevitable contact and stopped playing in the manner that had been working so well for us.

So looking on the bright side, despite having an off night with many players down on their normal/expected form, we still led early and were in the contest up until about 10 minutes to go. This suggests our structure and game plan is very solid and likely to be effective at the business end of the season if we have a reasonably settled side then.

We go away lick our wounds, learn our lessons and hopefully turn the tables next time.

As it says on the front cover of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, "Don't Panic".

Go Dogs!

I know I shouldn't be but I am surprised at a lot of the melt down style posts in this thread. Actually had to skip most pages as it was getting painful reading them.

Hence I will focus my post on putting some perspective on the loss, which I recognise was disappointing given it was in a hyped up prime time game against the defending champs.

Firstly, we have been up for a while and were due for an off game, whilst Richmond have been up and down so far in 2021 and really needed a win to keep up with the rest of ladder leaders. The stakes were a lot higher for them and it showed.

Whilst the media talked up Richmond's outs, I would argue we were actually more impacted by injury losses than they were. We have had 5 changes two weeks in a row with an already young and relatively inexperienced side. The absence of key players like Dunkley, English and Williams also has a larger impact on our side than most media pundits would realise. This was only Schache's third AFL game since the 2019 elimination final, and coming back from long term injury he has to fit into a complicated three tall structure (and play back up ruck), along side Hannan (1st game for the club) and West 1st game for the year (only 8th overall). It shouldn't be too surprising that our forward line didn't function as well it had in preceding games.

Which brings me to another issue I have with a lot of the posts in the thread criticising our defence and Zaine Cordy in particular. What the hell is up with that? Lynch scored 2 goals on Cordy and 1 on Keath. Naughton scored 3 too, but I doubt anyone is screaming for any defender heads on the Tiger's forum. Our defence was not where we lost this game. In fact they were largely responsible for us leading early by keeping Richmond to such a low 1st half score. With the amount of supply coming in, they had their hands full and battled away to keep Richmond to 77 points. Bev was right on the money with his press conference comments!

Richmond obviously did their homework this week, they came with a plan and stifled the midfield dominance that we had displayed in our previous matches. They were also very physical, contesting every pass and driving us into the ground at every opportunity, seemingly treating it like a final. It got them the desired result. Many of our less experienced players started anticipating the inevitable contact and stopped playing in the manner that had been working so well for us.

So looking on the bright side, despite having an off night with many players down on their normal/expected form, we still led early and were in the contest up until about 10 minutes to go. This suggests our structure and game plan is very solid and likely to be effective at the business end of the season if we have a reasonably settled side then.

We go away lick our wounds, learn our lessons and hopefully turn the tables next time.

As it says on the front cover of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, "Don't Panic".

Go Dogs!

Who was on Lynch when he kicked 5 behinds? Your analysis is lacking. In other words, Lynch could have kept missing set shots and gone 0-8. OTH he could have gone 8-0and that's a disaster for our defence.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Go Dogs!
Lynch should have kicked a hell of a lot more though.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will say I've given him plenty on here but Caleb was finally back to his best.

Still a would like a plan b if he's being tagged.
Gee I’ve got to disagree there. I thought he was horrendous defensively and didn’t add the same offensive output that he did in 2020. The Houli goal in the last was some of the worst defending you’ll ever see

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Gee I’ve got to disagree there. I thought he was horrendous defensively and didn’t add the same offensive output that he did in 2020. The Houli goal in the last was some of the worst defending you’ll ever see
I see what you're saying Snake. But I've long since given up on Daniel giving us too much defensively.

Thought his kicking through their structure was amongst the best in our side and overall a miles better than game than most he's put in this year.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Prestia's a gun! I'll have to go look up Fletcher Roberts. Yeh Towno, fair point.... :rolleyes:
Prestia certainly is a gun, as is Dusty (obviously) and Vlaustin.

Dunkley, English and Williams very important to us while like it or not Gardner is important to our structure.

All in all I think the gap in difference between players out wasn’t as big as what the media was making out.

Irrelevant now anyway. Hopefully we get a chance to play with both teams at full strength later in the year.

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs

Go Dogs!

I get your point, its a great start to the year, yet after again watching the reply you can't compare Lynch vs Naughton or our backline vs theirs.
Naughton goals were from marks on the lead. Lynch took many 1 on 1 marks, should have kicked more and highlighted our weakness which is 1 on 1 defenders. Cordy was poor and clearly done of confidence with his disposal. Bevo got touchy on it in the review because he knows the questions are correct. Why did we tire? We put to much pressure on our mids to get back and help the defence, its not sustainable, especially at the MCG.
You really need to review loses and look for the deeper issues. Oh course on the smaller, Marvel we can zones defence and hide our biggest issue 1 on 1 contests and win enough games to make the finals.
Lots of reasons contributed to the loss, Dunkley, English out, Martin well beaten, tiring onballers, 1 key defender short and still no crumbing forward.

The last two we need to try and fix fast, another key defender and try our best to unearth a small forward.

We lost a game by 22 points with a few players out and a few playing well below par.

giphyfff.gif

I wouldnt read too much into it at this stage.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Last night reminds me of our Hawks game early in ‘16 where Bob did his knee. We were on a roll, considered contenders, coming against the reigning 3-peat champs. We lost that game too but we learned from it & got the job done come finals time. I haven’t written us off.
Yes, clearly there shouldn’t be any overreactions to the loss.

I remember the Geelong loss at Etihad a bit later in 2016 (the only game we lost by more than four goals) and it was a total debacle. No one watching that night would have had us as premiership contenders.

Similarly, when Richmond were pantsed by St Kilda by 11 goals (at one point the margin was over 90 points) in 2017, most thought the premiership run was dead.

Just need to reload and get on with it. 6-1 is a great start.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
We lost a game by 22 points with a few players out and a few playing well below par.

View attachment 1117635

I wouldnt read too much into it at this stage.
The real worry is we set ourselves for this game and they had their best player out and a B grade midfield. Our best player was out there hitting their defenders on the left tit and our midfield was one player off full strength.
I'm not saying panic but we needed to win that.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We dominated the game for the first half without gapping them and they dominated the second.
They pro tigers crowd were sitting on their hands for the first 2 quarters in stunned silence as we toyed with them without putting it on the scoreboard. to their credit they pulled their finger out and killed us in the second.
I just want to know one thing...
why the hell was Lewis Young dropped after the game in Ballarat?!??
He was fantastic. He’s shown more as a key back in his handful of games than anyone bar Keath.

I'm not saying panic but we needed to win that.

Arguably Richmond needed the win more than we did and that was evident from the onset with their attitude & aggression towards the ball and shutting down our corridor.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Arguably Richmond needed the win more than we did and that was evident from the onset with their attitude & aggression towards the ball and shutting down our corridor.
We needed to win that because we were the better side regardless of ladder position.
Great teams don't set themselves for contests against weakened opponents and dissappear for a half of football. We talked a good game and failed to back it up.

Back