Other Teams
Australian International Sides
1557025204699.png
1557025513567.png
667284-11cbf62e56a21c62ae3a2740f7d99a14.png

At

download.jpg

download.png

Round 8, a third of the way through the season and the Lions travel to Ballarat to take on the Western Bulldogs at Mars Stadium. Just a little under 12 months ago the Victorian Government committed $15 million to help bring Mars Stadium up to AFL standard, it aint there yet. Mars stadium now has a capacity of 11,000 spectators including 5,127 undercover seats. And now a place the Western Bulldogs can play interstate sides in Regional Victoria......
Forecast

Possible shower
Temp 5°C - 15°C
Chance of rain: 80% (1-5mm)
Humidity: 9am: 98% 3pm: 69%
Wind 9am: W 19km/h
Wind 3pm: W 22km/h (increase)

That 15o C will feel more like 8o C and finally the old conundrum of water on Mars will finally be solved.

Down to the nitty-gritty....
This will be an interesting game,

Winnable.

but will be a very hard at it contest...

We match up pretty well with the Doggies with one exception, (based at the time of writing this) the Bulldogs' on ball unit is rated 2nd on clearances ..Young Ruck Tim English has been giving some good feed to the likes of as Liberatore, Bontempelli, Macrae, Wallis, Daniels and Lachie Hunter. I expect Dunkley to be given the shutdown role on Neale and the midfield is where the battle needs to be won...It is going to be hard to beat them.. Match ups will be crucial and if we don't get it right... it gives them multiple avenues to goal and the floodgates will open..

Their forwards of Lloyd, Gowers and Dixon looked to be beatable by our defense..Naughton has been played into form by the Tiges, will certainly stretch our defense.. but with Andrews and Bailey up for selection we’re up to it... Having said that, only twice this season have the Bulldogs scored more goals than behinds, five of the seven games they’ve had equal or more scoring shots than their opponents...and rain is predicted making it a slippery scrap

Our forwards McInerney , Cameron McStay, Hippy (provided he only cops a fine) and McCarthy should run rings round their defense of Trengrove, Crozier and attacking half-backs Johannisen and Richards..

So, it all comes down to the center clearances. If we can get on top of their midfield then we should be a good chance.... but I’m not confident... having been well and truly pants by the Pies and Bombers..

Go Lions...

Attachments

• 1557025308956.png
    1557025308956.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I like me an early preview.

Hard to get a read on this game when you consider that the dogs lost to carlton a fortnight ago. Still a spooky side.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I like me an early preview.

Hard to get a read on this game when you consider that the dogs lost to carlton a fortnight ago. Still a spooky side.
I haven't seen the game from yesterday but apparently they were very good out of the center square, 5 goals directly from there. You would think with Stef and the Big O in there we should be able to nullify that.

Who goes to the latest Victorian media darling Aaron Naughton? Dizzy?

Send Jarrod Berry to The Bont.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The boys might be used to the rain, but they're not used to the rain AND the cold windy stuff that happens in Ballarat..

..hope our Ballarat boys are wording them up......or they could train in some freezers;)

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Even though this game might be played in horrendous conditions, it probably suits us better than Marvel’s quick surface where we continue to be comprehensively murdered on the rebound.

Even though this game might be played in horrendous conditions, it probably suits us better than Marvel’s quick surface where we continue to be comprehensively murdered on the rebound.

Yep, completely agree. Much more confident playing them here than at Marvel.

The Bulldogs have played in Ballarat three times, of which Port has beaten them twice and they only just got over the top of Gold Coast. They're much more vulnerable there.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ballarat is always cold and windy. Fages has shown himself to be a person who picks who he wants to pick regardless of the ground or the conditions.

Every match has its challenges whoever you play . At least they gave us a good look at what they can do last night so we should be prepared.

If Andrews is fit he obviously comes in . Bailey also likely to be recalled . We can't have Andrews Walker and Lester down back so in that case Lester unfortunately goes . They won't drop Answerth but for this game I'd like to have Taylor in , but more likely than not he's the one who goes.

Stef is getting back into form and Oscar is a terrific competitor even though he skill level has dropped the last couple of weeks , but we won't disrupt that set up. A lot depends on whether Hippy cops a week which must be a chance seeing we're easy pickings for the tribunal . The guy wasn't injured so that helps .

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Getting to 7-3 would be a great result for us. Hopefully we can get a start with the Bulldogs in Ballarat

Not in my wildest dreams did I think we'd be 5 & 2. This game is very winable too, what do we call it? Something fancy. How about the 'Schache, Acker, Sherman, Hardie' Cup. That has a nice ring to it. Thoughts everyone?

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As much as this is a winnable game the doggies are a pritty good unit. But so are we. If beating a struggling team at our home ground was a significant sign of our development then this would be astonishing. Now we cant drop out the 8(if we lose) but there are a few games this round that can shake the 8 up.

Brett C

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Manchester United
As much as this is a winnable game the doggies are a pritty good unit. But so are we. If beating a struggling team at our home ground was a significant sign of our development then this would be astonishing. Now we cant drop out the 8(if we lose) but there are a few games this round that can shake the 8 up.
They’re 3 and 4 and have been really inconsistent so I’d back us in if we can replicate the pressure from the first quarter against Sydney.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
We still shouldn't have been sent to a JLT venue at best for an actual AFL game where only a few get a seat. You'd rarely see, if at all, a major sporting league allowing clubs to move games from world club stadiums to some backwater that fans can't be adequately catered for, except in the AFL.

We still shouldn't have been sent to a JLT venue at best for an actual AFL game where only a few get a seat. You'd rarely see, if at all, a major sporting league allowing clubs to move games from world club stadiums to some backwater that fans can't be adequately catered for, except in the AFL.

They play 11 games a year at Metricon to be fair.

They play 11 games a year at Metricon to be fair.
10, and then just to show the team life could be worse they play a game in Townsville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back