Review Dogs overcome first quarter blues to beat Hawks 125-83

Remove this Banner Ad

It had absolutely nothing to do with our form what Sicily did. Our midfield is deplorable and the ball ends up in defence so quickly every week at some point frustration will boil over. He has been good all year at his discipline. It wasn't even that bad anyway on Friday night both Naughton and Bont baited him to do something stupid by reacting to something he did.

It's the, "...something he did", that's the issue, isn't it? Surely!

They "baited him by reacting..." you say?

You think it's Bont & Naughts fault for reacting?

You're a fully qualified bush lawyer, aren't you?

It's the, "...something he did", that's the issue, isn't it? Surely!

They "baited him by reacting..." you say?

You think it's Bont & Naughts fault for reacting?

You're a fully qualified bush lawyer, aren't you?
Not even sure what he did that's the issue. Naughton had a crack at him for trying to stooge a free. Big deal. Bont had a crack because Sicily tried to bump him and ended up on his arse. Nothing dirty about any of that so by reacting to them having a crack at him that makes his attitude poor?. Don't get it is he supposed to just walk away is he?. I did say in this thread we are soft as butter and the 1 time anyone showed a bit of aggression it's setting a poor example apparently. He doesn't go out and king hit guys maybe that's where the misconception is around him.

Not even sure what he did that's the issue. Naughton had a crack at him for trying to stooge a free. Big deal. Bont had a crack because Sicily tried to bump him and ended up on his arse. Nothing dirty about any of that so by reacting to them having a crack at him that makes his attitude poor?. Don't get it is he supposed to just walk away is he?. I did say in this thread we are soft as butter and the 1 time anyone showed a bit of aggression it's setting a poor example apparently. He doesn't go out and king hit guys maybe that's where the misconception is around him.
I suspect Libba might have got to him, he apparently told him to “keep his chin up, there is always next week”

Last edited:

Incorrect.

He hit JUH so far away from the ball…. not within 50 meters of the ball. That is a sign of a man out of control.

I suspect Libba might have got to him, but apparently he told him to “keep his chin up, there is always next week”
I love the way Libba is first into a fracas, does a bit of trash talk, then next thing he’s patting the guy and settling him down.

Incorrect.

He hit JUH so far away from the ball…. not within 50 meters of the ball. That is a sign of a man out of control.
Didnt he get a fine?. Must of been a real shocker of a hit than. All year his behaviour has been excellent. Clearly the fact we gave up 13 unanswered goals frustrated him as it would most players. If the midfield were competent he wouldn't have to do so much heavy lifting every week. He would be giving it to our boys for that reason. Has been a good leader despite what you guys might think.

Didnt he get a fine?. Must of been a real shocker of a hit than. All year his behaviour has been excellent. Clearly the fact we gave up 13 unanswered goals frustrated him as it would most players. If the midfield were competent he wouldn't have to do so much heavy lifting every week. He would be giving it to our boys for that reason. Has been a good leader despite what you guys might think.

Yes. Fined. Didn’t fit your narrative, so you ignored that bit.

We mostly have a team of softies too BUT we don’t celebrate someone being a faux-tough guy by whacking someone behind play. It is a poor action by a captain who clearly has lost control of his emotions on field.

He tried to bump Bont, but got decked himself.
Didn't like it and had a go at Bont.

Caused his own problem, as usual.

After watching the game again, two points from me:

Welcome back JJ. We have missed him, perhaps more than many of us realised. Seems the logical match up for Charlie Cameron next week, especially now that Ed's out.

Some in here seem to think Dunkley is expendable. I disagree. His grunt work is incredible! He's the obvious successor to Libba in the middle. Must keep him. Having said that, I'll be very surprised if he leaves...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the game again, two points from me:

Welcome back JJ. We have missed him, perhaps more than many of us realised. Seems the logical match up for Charlie Cameron next week, especially now that Ed's out.

Some in here seem to think Dunkley is expendable. I disagree. His grunt work is incredible! He's the obvious successor to Libba in the middle. Must keep him. Having said that, I'll be very surprised if he leaves...
We need JJ up forward, one of the few guys who can convert with accuracy on a row hilarious basis.

I was about to say the same thing. D4C was pointing out the inconsistency from the AFL in declaring deep concern about concussions and implementing various rules to protect the head but not being able to cater for the Ed Richards situation.

TBH I have no idea what the solution is but D4C is absolutely right in asking the question. He suggests a free kick for a knee to the head. It might work and no, it wouldn't take the speccy out of the game. Like the sling tackle rule it might just make people fix their technique. It's far from watertight though (e.g. the friendly fire knee to a teammate's head).

If it becomes a winner-take-all contest between the saving the speccy and protecting the head then the AFL will almost certainly come down in favour of the speccy. However there may be a middle path that doesn't detract from the speccy too much and at the same time provides some protection for players camped under a high ball. Maybe as D4C suggested it's the free kick for clear and forceful (not incidental) contact with the head? Maybe it's even a free kick if you do it to a teammate? I don't know but it's a discussion worth having.

Comments like "you're better than that" and "might as well play netball" don't help at all. In fact they lower the standard of the debate.
Thanks mate. Concise and accurate post that summates my argument perfectly. Now, I’m off to play mixed netball. See ya never, Bigfooty.

Back to your own board now please, cheers

Apologies if this has been discussed already. But i've just realised the similarities between this game and the 2016 Semi Final if anyone else has noticed

Played Hawks
Beat Hawks
In both games we let Hawks get off to a 4-5 goal lead (only kicked one first term goal in both games)
Came back in the second quarter
Had a massive third quarter (Kicked six Q3 goals in both games)
Reach out to a 50 point lead then let Hawks slightly come back at the end.

2016: Hawks (84) Dogs (107)
2022: Hawks (83) Dogs (125)

Hopefully Thursday is a repeat of last years Semi Final lol.

Apologies if this has been discussed already. But i've just realised the similarities between this game and the 2016 Semi Final if anyone else has noticed

Played Hawks
Beat Hawks
In both games we let Hawks get off to a 4-5 goal lead (only kicked one first term goal in both games)

And played Sydney 2 weeks later

Played Hawks
Beat Hawks

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

very different Hawks team and I'd be very impressed if the 2022 dogs team on Friday would have beaten the 2016 Hawks team, but the optimism is good :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back