Review Dogs overcome first quarter blues to beat Hawks 125-83

Remove this Banner Ad

Because Naughton plays such a high-pressure game and attacks defenders like a madman we can sometimes get away with four talls up forward. Substitute Bruce for Naughton and it wouldn't work I think.

Brucey is not too bad with defensive pressure. Well he was certainly decent pre-knee.

You could maybe go Naught, Bruce, JUH and Schack if you only go Keath and Gardiner. Schache has scope to play all 3 spots on the park, so that may work.

Nah DW, it's just a terrible song that's hard to get excited about. I love everything Bulldogs....except the song. I tolerate it, rather than embrace it...reckon some of the players are the same.
Yes there is that. Pretty uninspiring as a piece of music, poetry or plagiarism.

It’s just those primal Pavlovian responses whenever we hear it…

Woof!

Brucey is not too bad with defensive pressure. Well he was certainly decent pre-knee.

You could maybe go Naught, Bruce, JUH and Schack if you only go Keath and Gardiner. Schache has scope to play all 3 spots on the park, so that may work.
Bruce is too slow to pair up with three other tall forwards. Naughton plays tall and small and is lightning quick. That's why it might work every now and then to exploit an undersized opposition backline but it isn't a permanent solution and I don't think can be considered if Naughton isn't one of the four.

Last edited:

Would it be worth trying Mitch Wallis in the VFL as a defender? He is an adaptable player, coachable and reliable. West has taken his potential place in the forward line. Whilst he has a playing VFL he don’t think it could hurt.

Just watching the highlights after getting home from the game. Weightman is such a legend. Got absolutely wiped out a minute into the 3rd and bounced back up like a rubber ball. The way that kid plays the game is a joy to behold.
Yeah, but stats...

Very worried about the singing of the song the last couple of weeks. I’d like to think it’s just a “job’s not done yet” type of subdued celebration, or perhaps the fact that we’ve had to sack the team singing coach due to the soft cap.

However I’m concerned that it’s something deeper. Feels like Bevo has lost them. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear them sing it in a minor key if we somehow scrape over the line next week. Or maybe skip the “da-da-da-da dah”. Or the “whooo!” sung in sotto voce baritone instead of excited falsetto. etc etc.

Something NQR at the kennel.
It was on fast forward last night. Maybe they don't rate the opposition so far. Wait till we beat Geelong ;)

Because Naughton plays such a high-pressure game and attacks defenders like a madman we can sometimes get away with four talls up forward. Substitute Bruce for Naughton and it wouldn't work I think.
Agreed, this is what I was getting at by claiming Naughty is barely a tall. Obviously he’s a tall, a bloody good one, but he barely counts as having a ‘tall’ in our forward line because he is literally a gun defensive pressure player. So we should be able to get away with going taller than other sides at times because we’ve got such a defensive weapon as one of our main talls.

Libba extraordinary Gun Jet rolled into one

Here is a stat Sweet 9 games Dogs 8 wins just saying
Gotta actually look at those games though, only tough opponents were Port last year (win) and Melbourne this year (loss). The rest have been against the likes of Gold Coast and Collingwood who we should beat regardless of who’s in the ruck

Buku would be the one for me that could slot in as a 4th tall/medium IMO and help us stretch defences whilst not being too tall & immobile. We were mad to play him as a genuine key forward as the 2nd tall but I think he could be a real weapon as the 4th.

Naughty, one of Bruce/Jamarra, Schache, Buku. Needs Schache in until Bruce can ruck and then maybe we could get away with both Bruce & Jamarra.

Agree with Dogsman that you’d probably drop a key defender (let’s be honest they’re pretty useless anyway) as you have the flexibility of sending Schache or Buku back there if needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta actually look at those games though, only tough opponents were Port last year (win) and Melbourne this year (loss). The rest have been against the likes of Gold Coast and Collingwood who we should beat regardless of who’s in the ruck
Cameron’s being spoken about as a gun young ruck now he’s stepped up without Grundy - Sweet took him to the cleaners a few weeks back.

Sweets definitely limited in what he brings, he’s very reasonable at his job though - as a genuine first ruckman. I hope he’s happy to stay around on the list even if not playing as we could not find a better back up

Schache was great. Battled hard, tackled hard and lets hope is not dropped after a poor game. West will be a very good player and should be a lock for the rest of the season. It is a disgrace he has never been given a decent run. I liked Gardner’s game tonight. He went for his marks and when he does so he looks so much better.

Would it be worth trying Mitch Wallis in the VFL as a defender? He is an adaptable player, coachable and reliable. West has taken his potential place in the forward line. Whilst he has a playing VFL he don’t think it could hurt.
Given the log jam of hb in the team as it is. I cant see the point.

What I can see is Rhylee West banging nails into the coffin of Wallises career on a weekly basis.

Given form and injury issues this season. I think we've finally arrived at a well balanced combination of smalls in the forward line. All of Weightman, West and JJ are agile aggressive and most of all know how to hit the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Naughts created 3 goals last night without taking a possession.

1) Contesting the high ball he was out of position that lead to the mid air soccer goal from West.
2) the spoil on CJ from an awful entry. Got a hand in that directly resulted in Bont's goal from the boundary.
3) the run down tackle on blanck that directly resulted in Dale's goal with 2 minutes to go.

Add in the 2 direct goal assists and its what sets him above the other young KPF pack. Statistically he matches the others with goals but its his contribution in score involvements and defence that makes him the best.

His development as a junior as a defender probably gave him this edge. As a defender if your not providing 2nd efforts the ball ends up going over your head for a goal. Its the desperation and commitment that is different to the others.

Case in point, Max King. He's a gun too but if hes not contributing marks and goals, he's not contributing the same level of assistance to other players both offensively and defensively. Looks to me that if the ball is not in his vicinity to mark he switches off. Naughton doesn't.

Some comparison to King in 2022 for example.

• 4x tackle number and 16x tackles inside forward 50.
  • 10% better efficiency
  • Double the average Goal assist numbers
  • More inside 50s
  • Naughton competes in ruck contests in forward 50. King never does.

He just does more work and offers a more well rounded game.

Schache was great. Battled hard, tackled hard and lets hope is not dropped after a poor game. West will be a very good player and should be a lock for the rest of the season. It is a disgrace he has never been given a decent run. I liked Gardner’s game tonight. He went for his marks and when he does so he looks so much better.
I thought Gardner did all he could too. Lewis has great pair of hands and when it's in front of him will be hard for anyone to stop.

There are some fantastic forwards around at the moment. Who is the best young fwd/Carey like is a redundant conversation. We should just enjoy it as footy fans.

True yes agree to an extent but how about the games we have lost ? Easy to identify games he’s played in and say opposition were inferior how about games we have lost having so called second rucks. Carlton, Adelaide, Geelong, Port this year we will never know will we.

And what was English for 10 games like ?

I’m not saying he is a gun but as an opposition ruck and team I would prefer English and Dunks/Scache/Buku/Cordy than English/Sweet.

And the argument who Sweets opposition is valid to an extent.
Not playing down English vs GWS as he may have been concussed but did anyone mention what his game was like before Preuss went off and after and there was no Flynn. It’s what happens when a good ruck plays against a Schache Cordy and the like even concussed (if he was at the time)

Last edited:
Nah DW, it's just a terrible song that's hard to get excited about. I love everything Bulldogs....except the song. I tolerate it, rather than embrace it...reckon some of the players are the same.

It's not the best song in the comp, but you can't say you hate it!!!

They should up the tempo - they slowed it down when they re-recorded it.

I think the players were just stuffed - I actually thought they looked a bit more enthused this week than they had....but you're right, hadn't noticed the whoo's were missing.

For me to completely rule out a dual ruck combination you have to have 3 contributing KPF's.

Case in point last night. Contributions were even from contested marks, all 3 shared similar target numbers and all looked dangerous at times.

Happy to only select one ruck when you get a multi facetted trio of talls who all contribute.

It's not the best song in the comp, but you can't say you hate it!!!

They should up the tempo - they slowed it down when they re-recorded it.

I think the players were just stuffed - I actually thought they looked a bit more enthused this week than they had....but you're right, hadn't noticed the whoo's were missing.
Didn't say I hated it....said I loathed it:tearsofjoy:....elsewhere

There's one of those after every goal.....
Makes sense. I had to change my shirt at 3/4 time. Now I know why

ee9f3b3ea305833a9bdf067aca9ef022--healthy-food-recipes-wine-recipes.jpg

Last edited:
True yes agree to an extent but how about the games we have lost ? Easy to identify games he’s played in and say opposition were inferior how about games we have lost having so called second rucks. Carlton, Adelaide, Geelong, Port this year we will never know will we.

And what was English for 10 games like ?

I’m not saying he is a gun but as an opposition ruck and team I would prefer English and Dunks/Scache/Buku/Cordy than English/Sweet.
Ruck yes team no

Remove this Banner Ad

Back