Review Dogs overcome first quarter blues to beat Hawks 125-83

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is such an f-wit. What is the point when you've had your pants pulled down, to embarrass yourself even further?

Bont and Liber had his measure physically, and mentally Sicily would struggle to name the numbers on their backs.
Did you notice how weak and timid the rest of the side is bar Newcombe?. I'd rather somebody act like a tool than just roll over and accept mediocrity. Were a bunch of snowflakes out there and it's crap to watch.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Richards was awesome before going off. Very weird quirk in our Great game that the head is protected at all possibilities, other than in a marking contest where it’s celebrated if the forward can slam a knee in to the back of the defenders scone.

Anywhere else on the field, that’s a free kick. Seems like a strange inconsistency that needs to be phased out if we are to take concussion seriously.
Going up for a mark legally is a free kick? Ill see myself out before I say something I regret.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Going up for a mark legally is a free kick? Ill see myself out before I say something I regret.
That’s not at all the premise of the argument. Go for as many marks as you like. Slam a knee into the back of someone’s head and it should be a free kick. Pretty simple.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Na
That’s not at all the premise of the argument. Go for as many marks as you like. Slam a knee into the back of someone’s head and it should be a free kick. Pretty simple.
Its exactly the premise. Your arguing someone going up for a mark with perfect timing not early should be penalised for using his knees to help contest the ball?. May as well take speccies out of the game. Your better than that mate. Richards getting injured was unfortunate but it's completely different circumstances to Stewart on Prestia. May as well play netball if you take physical contact like leaping for a mark out of the game.

HK_Bulldog

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2001
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In my view, whether Sweet plays or not is based on two scenarios at the moment. If English is not available, Sweet has to play. I can’t imagine going into a game with Buku, Cordy or Shak as first ruck. Shak had one good quarter and a bit against Hawthorn. He’ll need a lot more than that to convince me he can play first ruck for a whole match and not have his ass handed to him.

The second scenario is if English is beaten. He has been great this year but his ruck craft is still middling. If English gets monstered by a Grundy or Jackson or Darcy, it would be good to be able to turn to Sweet to nullify the ruck and release English to be a weapon elsewhere. If we turn to Khamis, Cordy or Shak, the game is over. Problem with this second scenario is that it’s a risk mitigation strategy. If English holds his own or beats the monster rucks, Sweet sits on the bench and we’ve wasted a spot.

If Shak’s quarter against Hawthorn wasn’t a one-off and we can trust him to be a quality second ruck, then I’d play Shak. The other thing to think about is that English is a unicorn. Bevo can tinker with him as a Key back or even in the middle and let Sweet take the Ruck to protect him from the crash and bash.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can’t agree with this one tbh, you just can’t ask players to think about what’s going on beneath them and where they’re putting their knee when going up for a mark with eyes on the ball - it would kill the marking contest completely out of the game.

It’s unfortunate and some of the worst head knocks come from this but it just is what it is it’s a contact game and accidents happen.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If high flyers like Naughton and Liam Ryan have to think twice before launching into the spectacular marking attempt in fear of giving away a free kick, we had may as well enrol our sons into Netball.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Na
Its exactly the premise. Your arguing someone going up for a mark with perfect timing not early should be penalised for using his knees to help contest the ball?. May as well take speccies out of the game. Your better than that mate. Richards getting injured was unfortunate but it's completely different circumstances to Stewart on Prestia. May as well play netball if you take physical contact like leaping for a mark out of the game.
Took the words right out my mouth.

Na
The context of the comment was not whinging about the mark...the OP was pointing out yet another inconsistency in the rules of the game and the inconsistency in allowing head-high contact in marking contests but penalising it heavily in all other circumstances.

The context of the comment was not whinging about the mark...the OP was pointing out yet another inconsistency in the rules of the game and the inconsistency in allowing head-high contact in marking contests but penalising it heavily in all other circumstances.
I was about to say the same thing. D4C was pointing out the inconsistency from the AFL in declaring deep concern about concussions and implementing various rules to protect the head but not being able to cater for the Ed Richards situation.

TBH I have no idea what the solution is but D4C is absolutely right in asking the question. He suggests a free kick for a knee to the head. It might work and no, it wouldn't take the speccy out of the game. Like the sling tackle rule it might just make people fix their technique. It's far from watertight though (e.g. the friendly fire knee to a teammate's head).

If it becomes a winner-take-all contest between the saving the speccy and protecting the head then the AFL will almost certainly come down in favour of the speccy. However there may be a middle path that doesn't detract from the speccy too much and at the same time provides some protection for players camped under a high ball. Maybe as D4C suggested it's the free kick for clear and forceful (not incidental) contact with the head? Maybe it's even a free kick if you do it to a teammate? I don't know but it's a discussion worth having.

Comments like "you're better than that" and "might as well play netball" don't help at all. In fact they lower the standard of the debate.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Did you notice how weak and timid the rest of the side is bar Newcombe?. I'd rather somebody act like a tool than just roll over and accept mediocrity. Were a bunch of snowflakes out there and it's crap to watch.
Flying the flag is fine, but he is a repeat offender at giving away stupid frees that provide no benefit for your team. If he was making a stand to fire them up once in a blue moon, it might border on having some impact. But his free kick against West and niggle and scuffle with Bont reflect his regular 'choices' and showed no thought process was involved, and it cost your team.

I stand by my earlier assessment of him. Good footballer, nothing upstairs.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have we always been the intellectual heavyweights of the comp?
Pretty much. Simon Beasley kicked 100 in 85’ whist making half a million on the NasDaq. Libba Jnr was the smartest 18 year old in the land before losing a few cells on King St. Objectively, minus a few on here, our supporter base is by far the most intelligent. I have no doubt we regularly dominate Victoria’s TER scores. That is why our crowds are historically low, most of our supporters stay home and study whilst listening to the wireless.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It’s always Hawk (& Bomber) supporters that equate: being a tool on the field, will lift them out of mediocrity.

How about talking to the ‘tool’ (your term) about lifting training standards and behavioural approach of players mid-week? That would certainly improve performance, rather than being a ‘tool’ (your term).

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Pretty much. Simon Beasley kicked 100 in 85’ whist making half a million on the NasDaq. Libba Jnr was the smartest 18 year old in the land before losing a few cells on King St. Objectively, minus a few on here, our supporter base is by far the most intelligent. I have no doubt we regularly dominate Victoria’s TER scores. That is why our crowds are historically low, most of our supporters stay home and study whilst listening to the wireless.

I can see why Stef Martin, with a 99 ATAR and a double major in science and law, was drawn to this club. I reckon Phillip Lowe is a Doggies man too.

Don't forget Will Minson. Musician, academic, fluent in 129 languages ... and a ruckman. "The dumbest smart bloke around" - R.Eade

By saying “wireless” are you implying we are all old?

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Flying the flag is fine, but he is a repeat offender at giving away stupid frees that provide no benefit for your team. If he was making a stand to fire them up once in a blue moon, it might border on having some impact. But his free kick against West and niggle and scuffle with Bont reflect his regular 'choices' and showed no thought process was involved, and it cost your team.

I stand by my earlier assessment of him. Good footballer, nothing upstairs.
It had absolutely nothing to do with our form what Sicily did. Our midfield is deplorable and the ball ends up in defence so quickly every week at some point frustration will boil over. He has been good all year at his discipline. It wasn't even that bad anyway on Friday night both Naughton and Bont baited him to do something stupid by reacting to something he did.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It had absolutely nothing to do with our form what Sicily did. Our midfield is deplorable and the ball ends up in defence so quickly every week at some point frustration will boil over. He has been good all year at his discipline. It wasn't even that bad anyway on Friday night both Naughton and Bont baited him to do something stupid by reacting to something he did.
I reckon his recent hair cut we has rocked up to the Barbers and requested the ‘De-Goey special’ is not working for him

Back