Dogs Owned By Cats Yet Again - 94-66 Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Richards a smokey for the BnF? He will def finish top 5. Chris Scott presser was interesting he clearly rates us but what was more telling was he discussion on close, miers and stengle. The running power they have to get back to help the D out then stream forward and be dangerous. We dont have that in our team as weightman is more a stay at home small forward. Garcia and west can maybe do that for us but? Overall the first half was very good but we couldnt turn the tide. Dont think its as doom and gloom as others think it was Selwoods 350th at the Cattery = recipe for disaster
Incredible how many of these types of games fall our way :(

The biggest concern for me is Smith. His training and preparation has always been so highly rated, so it is concerning that his disposal - particularly by foot - has never really improved. Let's face it - he massacres the ball a lot of the time, and he is one of the last players you'd want with ball in hand going into offensive 50. Where is the improvement going to come from? Of all our players, I think he is our biggest conundrum. He is talented, quick, apparently fanatical and does offer our midfield a point of difference. Yet there are very surprising weaknesses in his game - disposal by foot, defensive running and, reasonably often, decision making. I really have no idea how his career is going to turn out - it feels as though he could be one of the very best players in the game, if it 'clicks' (it's Mabo, it's the vibe). But equally so, I can envisage something a lot less.

The GF embarrassment was due to strong, powerful mids streaking straight out of centre.

So Bevo is saying after that debacle, and a full preseason, and other teams doing it to us earlier in the season, that we don’t know what to do and have no plan to stop it?

If so then I don’t know how you can claim to be a competent head coach.

Plus it happened in the game against Essendon before the finals. We either don’t learn, refuse to change or the players aren’t reacting and following instructions. The other possibility is that we just suck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing I noticed which is probably nothing at at both quarter and 3 quarter time was Webb and Spangher were gone from the huddle and back up the race so quickly, there was still ages to go before the ball was bounced.

Our lack of hardness really worries me, I can accept being beaten by a better team but too many times in that third quarter a Cats player just wanted the ball more pure and simple.

Also Jeremy Cameron is a pea hearted footballer, will cost them a final again.

We're not strong enough. Do we have a Petracca/Dangerfield midfield bull? We have Bont, but is he really a bull? Not really.

It’s a cop out from Bev, there are plenty of midfields without that sort of player that don’t get blown off the park as frequently as we do. Whether it’s setup, or mental, the buck stops with him to solve it. Don’t think too many coaches would complain about having Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith and Treloar at their disposal.

I don't know why you Bulldogs fans are so insistent on Naughton as a forward.

You say it's because you need him there for structure or whatever, or that your forward line hinges on him... he's just one player. You didn't have trouble scoring goals in the game he missed last week. For all the hype he gets, he seems like a very hot/cold player as a forward and gets shut down by the top defences in the league.

I would think your defence is in far more dire need of a good key defender. If guys like Cordy, Gardner and Hannan are playing as key pivots in defence, there is probably a much bigger hole in defence than their would be up forward if Naughton wasn't there...

You say it's because you need him there for structure or whatever, or that your forward line hinges on him... he's just one player. You didn't have trouble scoring goals in the game he missed last week. For all the hype he gets, he seems like a very hot/cold player as a forward and gets shut down by the top defences in the league.

I would think your defence is in far more dire need of a good key defender. If guys like Cordy, Gardner and Hannan are playing as key pivots in defence, there is probably a much bigger hole in defence than their would be up forward if Naughton wasn't there...
No argument here. Of the 3 you mention, however, Gardner is worth persevering with as a defender IMO and played well enough last night against a stacked deck. I'd expect him to grow another leg too if Naughts was back down there with him. With JUH showing a bit, I'd be moving him (Naughts) to the back 6.

The game he missed we only scored 84 points in which we completely controlled territory and possession.

Not to mention Wilkie was St Kilda’s best player and got 7 coaches votes.

Naughtons kicking lacks penetration and he’s prone to clangers. It’s not just a case of whether you can mark and defend. Disposal out of defensive 50 is just as important in our setup.

Totally agree.

Just sucks playing down there. Such a huge advantage for them.

I don’t remember Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn or Richmond winning many down there either 🧐 🤨
Just about guarantees them top 4 every year 11 home wins just need a few away wins has them there.
It's also why they struggle come finals they can't bottle the ground on the bigger ovals

Went to the game, again. Not sure why I keep doing this to myself. Phone said 8 degrees but felt like -8.

The third quarter leaks were diabolical obviously. Other than that we were ok.

Cordy and Gardner worked very hard. I don’t really fault them. Richards was outstanding obviously.

Jamarra looks like he’s moving far more freely now. Used to look a bit flat footed at times but was covering the ground well. I think he’ll have a great year next year.

Not shocked by the result. Just angry we were witches hats in the middle for half a quarter and it was game over.

The game he missed we only scored 84 points in which we completely controlled territory and possession.

Not to mention Wilkie was St Kilda’s best player and got 7 coaches votes.

Naughtons kicking lacks penetration and he’s prone to clangers. It’s not just a case of whether you can mark and defend. Disposal out of defensive 50 is just as important in our setup.
Intercepting, spoiling and stopping might be more important at the moment, especially with the deluges that midfield are conceding far too regularly against good opposition. His kicking has improved IMO since he was last stationed there and Richards, Dale and Duryea, making up 50% of the back 6, is probably enough get out and set up options.

Intercepting, spoiling and stopping might be more important at the moment, especially with the deluges that midfield are conceding far too regularly against good opposition. His kicking has improved IMO since he was last stationed there and Richards, Dale and Duryea, making up 50% of the back 6, is probably enough get out and set up options.
If we don’t fix the midfield it isn’t going to matter who you have in defence especially with the 6-6-6 rule. There will be zero chance to intercept with no pressure on the ball.

Also a lot of geelongs goals came from centre bounce clearances, turnovers where players were completely out of position or over the back goals to a player 30+ metres in space.

Naughton wasn’t stopping any of those with intercepting or spoiling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The delivery inside F50 does Naughton no favours.

If we don’t fix the midfield it isn’t going to matter who you have in defence especially with the 6-6-6 rule. There will be zero chance to intercept with no pressure on the ball.

Also a lot of geelongs goals came from centre bounce clearances, turnovers where players were completely out of position or over the back goals to a player 30+ metres in space.

I think he can make some difference at 6 6 6 CBs because of his speed, athleticism and reading of the play. Fast enough to get a body on or to get a hand in some of the time...which might be enough.

Granted the howler kicks from Daniel etc coming out of defence or in the back half fcuk everybody over and Naughts would be no exception.

Also, I don't for a moment dispute that the midfield/ruck/rover rolling over is the primary cause of these CB leaks and is the number one priority. Part of my solution to that is to put Martin in the ruck at CBs and for the midfielders to eat some fcuking concrete.

But we need some insurance down back and Naughton is it. The premium being paid is him not being forward. I'm happy to pay it.

Last edited:
With the ball being lost at the CB's so easily the only other option is for the half backs to anticipate it, leave their man and come up to meet the ball. High risk scenario.

So the coaches have to 1. acknowledge the CB problem and 2. fix it because there is no fricken' way this team gets anywhere near a flag playing like this.

The midfield issue has to be fixed, no ifs or buts.

Geelong's pressure led to fumbles, handballs missing their marks, kicks out of defence without looking, perceived pressure leading to poor kicks. Geelong's far harder work rate after quarter time led to greater numbers 'round the ball, their handball recipients on the move whilst ours were stationary, separation between our defenders and their forwards. That's from the small screen, it probably looked worse from the stands. Daniel is usually good under pressure, last night his kicking look hurried. Teams that apply pressure and physicality usually win.

It’s a never ending discussion on here whether we should send him back or not.

Forgive my ignorance, I’ve never played the game. On a centre bounce when it’s effectively 3 on 3, how does a ‘tag’ really work? All 3 players take their man. We have our strategy of who goes to the ball and who breaks, they have theirs.

I could understand a tag being the issue if Bont roves the ball and immediately has a man hanging off him…but how does a tag get you 3 blokes streaming out the centre square with the ball every centre bounce?
It's more of a pace issue once it goes to the outside most of our mids can't go with them

How about we put a strong meat
axe sweeper, say Dunkley, at the back of the stoppage when it starts to happen? Footy is not rocket science.

The other alternative is to play a second ruck who comes in when English drops his bundle and makes sure the ball is not tapped to that position. Sweet has that ability. I would take Sweet’s 5 possession and 10 taps over McComb’s 20 kicks/14 clangers per game.
Hey Bevo, give the mids coach the arse and appoint BrisDog.

We agree Sweet is limited, but he's our limited and all that we have at the moment. At least his 10 hit outs go to our mids and we win clearances (most of the time) and look better in the guts. McComb has 20 kicks for 15 turnovers. Don't even start me on Baz lately....

Geelong outscored us in 3 of the 4 quarters. Geelong's dominance commenced in the 2nd quarter and continued through to the end of the match.
What? We outscored them in both the first and last quarters.

The third quarter was 50-3, the rest of the game was an arm wrestle against the best team in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back