Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen your replay, yet, Testerkill. Unless it's clear and unambiguous, you have to give the Umpire the benefit of any doubt. They are blokes doing their jobs. Do you really advance that they deliberately discriminate against our club ? If that was the case, the whole competition would fail, who would take it seriously ? the AFL isn't the Chinese Communist Party.
Who is saying they deliberately discriminate. What 4 people have now said is the umpire made a mistake and those same people are saying you are wrong.

Umpiring was poor throughout. Their decisions in our marking contests was counterbalanced by the fact that we got a couple of ridiculous deliberate out of bounds on their end (Dale's goal and the one in the last couple of minutes) and we also got away with half a dozen blatant throws, two or three by Libba.

Which of these spikes was the ball hitting the post? And more importantly, what caused the other identical spikes that seemed to continue indefinitely?

View attachment 1475923
It looks as if they’ve got it hooked up to someone’s heart monitor

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Who is saying they deliberately discriminate. What 4 people have now said is the umpire made a mistake and those same people are saying you are wrong.
You do understand the the difference between a question and a statement ? If all you want is a gotcha moment triumph, find someone else to play with.

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fairly standard game then, add his kicking as being less than VFL standard
I watched Gardner closely today. He was awful. Hogan could've kicked 10 if GWS had kicked to him. Had no body on him and constantly trailed him standing in no man's land.
Was disappointed as I thought he'd turned a corner.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
That was like watching a game from 2014.
This was a nightmare of a game. It was like a Peter Rhode or McCartney era game. Bloody awful. I wanted to be awake but couldn't because it was an actual game. Honestly, Bevo has gone backwards in terms of coaching. This whole coaching group needs a full review and changes need to be made. Including our insipid coach.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Fairly standard game then, add his kicking as being less than VFL standard
You are probably thinking about that lateral pass in the 3rd quarter that sailed out of bounds and prompted the "For whom was that intended ? (that's the way we Mitchells speak, grammatical rather than political correctness). My mate's whipping boy (I have mine, too, don't we all ?). In the past few weeks, Gardiner's played better than previously but did he satisfy a role in a defence structure I still don't really understand ? What I drew from the game was a more defensive and accountable structure and disposition, most of Bont's arm gestures were backwards at Centre bounces. Bev's up to something.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Which of these spikes was the ball hitting the post? And more importantly, what caused the other identical spikes that seemed to continue indefinitely?

View attachment 1475923
Are you not aware of the new goalpost style the AFL has introduced this year? Admittedly it makes the snicko a little harder to use.

erection-boing.gif

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
This was a nightmare of a game. It was like a Peter Rhode or McCartney era game. Bloody awful. I wanted to be awake but couldn't because it was an actual game. Honestly, Bevo has gone backwards in terms of coaching. This whole coaching group needs a full review and changes need to be made. Including our insipid coach.
There was an accountability about the team I haven't seen for some time, now. I reckon it's a change of direction. If I'm right, we make the 8 and win the Cup, drinks are on you, LP. I will have a fierce thirst but but there are plenty from whom you can claim contribution.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
With that grub campaigner Greene not playing, did anybody notice there were a lot of chatter and smiles and hugs between a lot of the players after the game and no spite during it. i think that imbecile ignites a lot of the so called rivalry to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bev thinks our issues boil down to skill errors from our half backs. I guess I’m not enough of a creative thinker to find the link between that and a defensive structure that, once opposition regain the ball inside our F50, allows them to switch once or twice then pick off chip kicks through the ground under little pressure until they have a shot at goal.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pretending that Sweet would have offered more just has no grounding in reality. They split responsibilities in the VFL recently, same time ruck recently in the same game in the same conditions playing almost identical periods of time forward and ruck, and Martin wad clearly, demonstratively better. Not "ah Martin was better" but one was near BOG and the other had a poor game. This has been pretty consistent over the course of this season and last.

People can't purport to want to reward form, or not to "play favourites" with selection and then defend the selection of Sweet for this game.

I get that bringing in Martin to play 60% TOG and do not much is a bit pointless, but that means if all our English ruck support options are so poor then we don't "need" to give English support like people are calling for which is my original point.

Maybe Sweet as the better pure tap ruck would make more sense for selection if English was not going to be the first ruck taking the vast majority of contests but he is and we have to accept that as our rigid structures in selection.

The question mark is on Stef's fitness, not ability relative to Sweet.
People love genuinely making s**t up to suit their opinions, they absolutely did not identically split their minutes and one was not poor lmao

Anyone with half a brain knew how Martin was going to go yesterday, unfortunately that doesn’t include our coach - didn’t take hindsight

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn’t think my post was particularly pro-Sweet haha.

Sweet is not going to put up good possession numbers in the VFL because he sucks at everything around the ground. Martin is still going to put up big VFL numbers because the opponents in VFL are generally kids or undersized, even though he is a shell of the player he was from 2014-19. 2014-19 Martin would be Bevo’s prototype ruckman I imagine.

We’ve seen what they have produced at AFL level this season though and it’s quite clear that Martin isn’t good enough anymore. Had been killed in all three games, the last one by Sam Hayes who is that discarded at Port that they’d rather play no rucks. Sweet as limited as he is has at least been competitive in ruck contests when he has come in and generally I think has done a competent role as the sole ruck. Is it pointless him playing if English is the number one ruck? I would think so. But if they are going to play two rucks, at least he is going to be competent in one area of the game rather than zero.

It did seem like Martin was in more ruck contests in the first half (I’m sure Oliver Gigacz has the stats). I’m sure the plan was to split the two rucks fairly evenly but as he was offering nothing, English went back to mainly rucking in the second half. If this was the initial plan, for Martin to play forward/second ruck, then maybe Bevo has lost it. He wasn’t suited for that role when he was in his peak.

There’s no question on Stef’s fitness. He is finished. Had a hell of a career but he just isn’t that player anymore. It’s rare that a 35yo is.
Nailed it, much more eloquently than I can put it!

Do people genuinely not remember the 6 or so games Martin & Sweet played earlier this year when this opinion was pretty much unanimous?

I genuinely think they don’t, unfortunately neither do our coaches apparently

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
9.8 beats 8.9. Same number of shots. Perhaps Bev's overhauling the defensive side of the game plan. GWS didn't ever do a Melbourne / Fremantle fast break out of the middle. Both clubs pushed the ball around in defence for long periods, no momentum multiple forays forward by GWS. This was a different, more defensive, approach and we won.
Just because the opposition was incapable of scoring doesn’t mean any part of that game was defensive lmao, if that’s our defensive overhauling joisus

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thought it was very refreshing that Bevo basically joked and admitted we weren't good enough to give finals a shake even if we qualified in the presser, as opposed to pretend that we're somehow got some almost entitlement to flags.

Success comes from an acceptance in a zero-sum environment that other teams also are trying to win flags and some are executing that better than others. It's always the s**t clubs that when their coaches say stuff "that's not the brand of footy we want to play" with the inclination that "our brand" in and of itself is good enough to win flags, suggesting the club's colours are entitled to success. See Essendon in the last 20 years. Recognition that from top to bottom, while we doing things, better than the average of all other clubs, the fact that we aren't entitled to success unless we do them the best of all 18 (or near enough) is refreshing from Bevo then the tripe you hear from most other clubs.
Yes that sure is refreshing 😂

Hopefully he *s off then

Back