Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen your replay, yet, Testerkill. Unless it's clear and unambiguous, you have to give the Umpire the benefit of any doubt. They are blokes doing their jobs. Do you really advance that they deliberately discriminate against our club ? If that was the case, the whole competition would fail, who would take it seriously ? the AFL isn't the Chinese Communist Party.

Not sure what your on about , umpire just got this one wrong.
Clear mark well inside boundary.

Bev thinks our issues boil down to skill errors from our half backs. I guess I’m not enough of a creative thinker to find the link between that and a defensive structure that, once opposition regain the ball inside our F50, allows them to switch once or twice then pick off chip kicks through the ground under little pressure until they have a shot at goal.

Exactly. I would've thought laying just a glove on the opponent once they get it off half back before they move it to half forward would be handy.

Seem to recall extreme pressure on the ball carrier worked well on 2016. Don't think that part of the game has changed.

Are our mids taking less chances because they know every turnover will be punished in a goal due to our defenders inability to defend one out??

Why do we not play on from a mark anymore??!!
Down on confidence and we aren't pushing forward as hard as we usually do. Maybe it's to stem the bleeding defensively, or we are playing players that are just a bit too banged up and can't cover the ground as they usually would.
For example Bont has been nowhere near as clean with his ground ball work of late very unlike him.
MaCrae starting on the bench we seem to be nursing blokes through to try and make finals. Maybe it's playing a part in our recent poor form

Down on confidence and we aren't pushing forward as hard as we usually do. Maybe it's to stem the bleeding defensively, or we are playing players that are just a bit too banged up and can't cover the ground as they usually would.
For example Bont has been nowhere near as clean with his ground ball work of late very unlike him.
MaCrae starting on the bench we seem to be nursing blokes through to try and make finals. Maybe it's playing a part in our recent poor form

We might not be pushing forward as hard as normal (I agree that looked like that yesterday), but we are still selling out defensively at centre clearances hoping to get forward, exposing the back of centre and allowing the opposition to stroll out of there if they win it.

For all the teeth-gnashing related to outside 5, team selection and general defensive incompetence when it comes to our gameplan, that’s the most egregious failure. There has been nothing done (at least on the basis of watching the actual games) to address this, and it keeps costing us goals and games. Either the coaching on that element is inept, or the midfield group don’t care and are still failing to do what’s required. Either way it’s frustrating to watch.

That's the only reason i wont us to make it, i find if we make it and even have a reasonable lose in week one, its important for those two and West also.
For all his difficulties in getting games, I reckon Westy played in that infamous final against GWS in 2019? The game where Toby was banging Bonts head into the ground with his hair.

Just watched the AFL.com highlights package. I’ve never seen so many behinds, 5 for us and a few for the Giants make it to the final edit. Watching this shows how hard it must have been to get any highlights. Still had a fun day at the footy.
I reckon we had 3 or 4 ‘inside 50’s’ before any Bulldog had even touched the footy? Now there’s a statistic.

I was sitting in the pocket on level 2 down GWS’ end in the third so had a pretty good view of it. His positioning on Hogan was horrible. Just gave him no respect and refused to move to a better position to cover Hogan even when it was obvious it was going to be kicked to him

You look at that backline and wonder where the marshalling is coming from. There’s no Wood, Morris, Murphy, Boyd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You look at that backline and wonder where the marshalling is coming from. There’s no Wood, Morris, Murphy, Boyd.

yep , at times it’s shambolic.( probably most times )

Last week in particular, never seen so many looking around at teammates after yet another Freo mark inside 50.

At the end of the day it probably just comes down to ability. Your list above collectively is light years ahead of the group last night.

For a start time to move Daniel away .

It’s only a push in the back it there is two actions - placing your hands and then extending out. You are actually allowed to have hands in the back to hold your ground like Naughton did

Worse part was the umpire 10 metres away called it a mark, it was over ruled by an ump 50 metres away
Hawkins does it every week and commentators commend him for hos strength in the contest. It's a joke how inconsistent they are in adjudication of that rule

Bev's insistence on the main issue being player skill error is a bit eye rolling. For a guy who has built his reputation as someone that will vehemently protect his players, it feels wrong for his pressers lately to be like this. Yeah we have some real ball butchers out there, but to throw the players under the bus again without even slightly acknowledging your s**t game plan?

Otherwise it was kind of nice to hear a more resigned Bev. I think we're all a bit over his presser combativeness. His response to "could you guys give finals a shake?" was to just flat out laugh - which is probably how we'd all react if someone asked us the same question. He even suggested the whole team was emotionally checked out at this point. The way he was talking I think we are far, far from certainties to beat the Hawks. Almost sounds like they would prefer not to play finals.

Because the ball was so slow moving up the ground, I did make an effort to just watch the backline to see how we set up. It’s was eye opening. Seemed really unorganised. Just takes one player not doing the right thing and it falls down.

I think the biggest issue is a lot of the guys don’t have defensive instinct. There was one play where Dale didn’t want to cover the space so he called in Treloar who clearly didn’t want to cover it. Their instincts and to peel off so they can attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the ball was so slow moving up the ground, I did make an effort to just watch the backline to see how we set up. It’s was eye opening. Seemed really unorganised. Just takes one player not doing the right thing and it falls down.

I think the biggest issue is a lot of the guys don’t have defensive instinct. There was one play where Dale didn’t want to cover the space so he called in Treloar who clearly didn’t want to cover it. Their instincts and to peel off so they can attack.
I just cannot comprehend the Treloar move, in what world did we need another flaky ball carrier down there? It’s literally the last thing our defence needs?

Bev's insistence on the main issue being player skill error is a bit eye rolling. For a guy who has built his reputation as someone that will vehemently protect his players, it feels wrong for his pressers lately to be like this. Yeah we have some real ball butchers out there, but to throw the players under the bus again without even slightly acknowledging your s**t game plan?

Otherwise it was kind of nice to hear a more resigned Bev. I think we're all a bit over his presser combativeness. His response to "could you guys give finals a shake?" was to just flat out laugh - which is probably how we'd all react if someone asked us the same question. He even suggested the whole team was emotionally checked out at this point. The way he was talking I think we are far, far from certainties to beat the Hawks. Almost sounds like they would prefer not to play finals.
Why does he keep filling the side with butcherers and then complain about skill errors - no s**t shirlock, there’s a reason he’s the only one that wants McNeil, VDM, McComb, Hannan etc in this team

Hawkins does it every week and commentators commend him for hos strength in the contest. It's a joke how inconsistent they are in adjudication of that rule

They probably shouldn’t have changed the hands in the back rule back for this very reason. So inconsistent week to week, game to game and even quarter to quarter.

The next quarter Gardner’s push in the back on Hogan was far worse than Naughton’s and they allowed it

Yes same area as us. Anyone else notice team pull black are bands on at QTR time. WTF is going on at the club.So disrespectful and then to post it on social media at half time how we remember them !!!

Yes same area as us. Anyone else notice team pull black are bands on at QTR time. WTF is going on at the club.So disrespectful and then to post it on social media at half time how we remember them !!!

Sometimes I think if the club focused as much on the basics as they do on game day and social media gimmicks, then we would be a hell of a lot better off.

Well that was worth the 4 hour round trip! :drunk:

Anyway, lots of good summaries already, so won't add too much.

Ed - great. Best on, by a mile.

Jamarra - why do so many team mates aim half a metre out of his reach overhead? He didn't run under the ball, often passes were too high. Hopefully that cohesion will come. Other than that, he is building, more efforts similar to Dees game are not far away.

Bevo/Stef - are they both cooked?

Umpires - at least 2 of them deserve to sit through their reviews by having their heads banged repeatedly into the screen.

If we make finals, we appear on current form likely to get spanked. But finals are different, so who knows. I'd rather be in them than not.

Go Dogs!

yep , at times it’s shambolic.( probably most times )

Last week in particular, never seen so many looking around at teammates after yet another Freo mark inside 50.

At the end of the day it probably just comes down to ability. Your list above collectively is light years ahead of the group last night.

For a start time to move Daniel away .

We tend to rate Guards and Cordy especially against a baseline that is already low, so when they have some good moments we look more favourably upon them when in fact, if we judge them against the standards of key forwards on the best teams, we know we’re not winning a flag with those guys as staples in defence.

The handball preference is out of control. There were multiple possession chains where they did everything they could to avoid kicking the ball forward. It was a terrible approach.
It is, and has been for a while. Instead of letting players play on instinct, we go around in circles. The over-handballing is a symptom of some sort of plan, but last night we ended up (eventualky) freeing a kicker in space, yet several opportunities to move the ball forward were ignored, at one stage a chain of 4 handballs AWAY from our goals.

If the freed up kicker in defence is Richards, at least that's ok, but a number of times in the midfield the kicker ended up being Dunks after better-credentialled kicks handballed to him. How is that a good option?!

Yeah and when there’s not a strong organising presence it just collapses. This team just cannot seem to get its act together all over the ground. There’s always one or two lines that are unsettled and underperforming. I’m ready for a change at the top because I have little faith the current football department have the answers and the will anymore.

Yeah and when there’s not a strong organising presence it just collapses. This team just cannot seem to get its act together all over the ground. There’s always one or two lines that are unsettled and underperforming. I’m ready for a change at the top because I have little faith the current football department have the answers and the will anymore.

Of course things change yearly at all clubs, but for the most part we’ve had a reasonably settled 22 for the better part of the last 4 years with no real major departures.

Isn’t it concerning that every year we’re still ‘tinkering’ & ‘trying to find our best setup’ late in the season. Honestly I don’t think the coaches have any idea at this stage what they want our team to look like, we’re constantly a work in progress it’s just not good enough, what other team changes their structure as much as we do? Is it 2 ruckmen or just the 1, do we want to be short or tall up front or down back, it’s just a constant revolving door of tactics & players and there is no cohesion to any part of our game right now.

Watching the players trying to organise their ground defence is just a shambles, players focusing on running past the man with the ball to get in position to the point that they have zero awareness of what the opposition is even doing - no one has any idea where they should be standing or what they should be doing & it looks genuinely tiring to the players now.

On one occasion we had every player on the ground in our defensive half, an impenetrable zone 0-30m in front of the ball (whadya mean players can kick over that distance?) and still a gaping hole for Hogan to lead into and mark uncontested inside 50.

If this hasn’t been worked out yet then it never will be. Time for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back