Review Dogs smash Eagles by 101 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Given they play very different roles what is the value of this debate. West is bringing a whole lot more to his role now almost redefining it and is a contested player with clean hands and improving skills.

McNeil is an outside player who has speed as well as high pressure skills when they have the ball

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s BF there dosent need to be a point but now you mention it my underlying point is that there have been multiple glowing reviews of West on here and other socials and don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he played badly just that others did better if your looking at the independent stats and ratings

It’s BF there dosent need to be a point but now you mention it my underlying point is that there have been multiple glowing reviews of West on here and other socials and don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he played badly just that others did better if your looking at the independent stats and ratings
West was one of our best according to the independent player ratings.

Attachments

• 1653782146181.png
    1653782146181.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 76
Posted this in the selection thread.

English’s time “rucking” was actually reduced last night, based on his earlier games. Significantly from earlier in the season but not very dramatically from his more recent games. Can’t read too much into one game, particularly a blowout against poor rucks like that, but it seemed to work for him. He seemed to spend a fair bit of time roaming around.

Based on my quick back of napkin numbers, earlier in the season, English was taking 95% of the CBs and 75-80% of the non CB ruck contests. The non-CB ruck attendances for non-English players crept up as the season went on. In English’s previous game Cordy did 8% CBs and 40% non-CB ruck contests.

Last night English was in for 80% of CBs and 64% of the non-CB ruck contests. Sweet did 20% and 36%. So English started in the middle most of the time but they let Sweet pick up more work at throw ins and ball ups.

If the coaches have determined the best thing for English is the second ruck doing 35-40% of the non-CB ruck work then I’d prefer Sweet to Cordy. Only our staff would know if reducing the CBAs for English was helpful for him last night.

Sweet’s first game forward, so I’ll give him a chance, but he wasn't great. Still probably comparable to Cordy’s recent output though.

Given on-field performance seems to be the barometer for such debates.

I think its time for the competition to bite the bullet and relocate The Eagles to Tasmania.

Last edited:
I have no stats but late in quarters when Tim fatigues is when we get scored against. Having a capable second ruck limits this.

Last night was not a game to base long term judgements on but I will anyway.

Our tall defenders need a bullet. Talk to each other and stop all flying for the spoil together ffs!!!

Vandermeer must be played as a lock down small defender moving forward as it plays to his strengths and he lacks natural forward smarts. He was only there because he is fast.

Buku needs a spell.

Midfielders need to keep the leading lanes clear for the forwards and time their front and centres better.

Many of our problems are due to the lack of faith in players to win one on one contests and when they do get isolated they look lost.

I have no stats but late in quarters when Tim fatigues is when we get scored against. Having a capable second ruck limits this.

Our tall defenders need a bullet. Talk to each other and stop all flying for the spoil together ffs!!!

Vandermeer must be played as a lock down small defender moving forward as it plays to his strengths and he lacks natural forward smarts. He was only there because he is fast.

Buku needs a spell.

Midfielders need to keep the leading lanes clear for the forwards and time their front and centres better.

Many of our problems are due to the lack of faith in players to win one on one contests and when they do get isolated they look lost.
What the hell are you on about?

Buku needs a spell.

Vandermeer was't there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West’s hands and reaction time in tight spaces remind me of a previous Bulldogs multiple B& F winner . The apple fell close to the tree.

On another Eagles bashing note, some of their fans delight in mocking low crowds in our state and want us to merge merge merge. Hmm. Any more empty seats at home games and they’ll have to borrow some tarps.
Since day one with West he’s had that iconic handball action like his old man too, would love to see a frame by frame comparison, reckon Rhylee can handball 40m?

He is a beast though, I’m so bloody happy for him he’s done it the hard way - lots hope he never leaves the side again. He’s Clay Smith with skills!

Yep and AFL website has him below both Macs but one thing is certain is that Sweet is down the bottom no matter where you look so perhaps it’s is only this week that Bevo mismanaged the rucks
Sorry, what does ‘below’ mean on the AFL website? You mean amount of fantasy points? If that’s the metric you’re judging off, let’s leave this debate alone. This isn’t a statistical argument. It’s a totality of impact during the game and West was far and away the most impactful of the three players you mentioned.

West was one of our best according to the independent player ratings.

Was one of our best with the 'eye test' too. Created goals out of hard intent for the footy, didn't cough it up once with a poor disposal and pressured the opposition when it was his turn.

The only thing that you could really criticise was when he marked in front of McNeil but he slotted the goal anyway.

He's been really impressive in the games he's played so far this year and isn't far off becoming a locked in best 22 player. Hopefully he can sign on at the end of the year because Libba is getting on in age and we probably need West or Garcia to step into his role when he starts to fade out.

As an off side I really hope we develop Darcy into a forward/2nd ruck. Seems like it would make the most sense given Sweets limitations as a player.

Buku had a bit of a mare last night. Marra kicking 6 would be hard to ignore for the selectors next week.

Notice the players body language and interaction.
Rylee looks well accepted with in the group and friendships developed.

Really wrapped for the young fellow.
Cheers
Stephen

McNeil gets in good positions. He is doing his job bobbing up for a few goals a game.
McNeil is seriously settling into his position which is great. I said a few weeks back all he needs to aim for is 1 goal 10 touches 15 PAs and 4+ tackles a week, he’s done that for a month now and kicked multiple goals on a few occasions, surprisingly strong overhead too - although his tackles can get broken a little bit so needs to work on that.

Posted this in the selection thread.

English’s time “rucking” was actually reduced last night, based on his earlier games. Significantly from earlier in the season but not very dramatically from his more recent games. Can’t read too much into one game, particularly a blowout against poor rucks like that, but it seemed to work for him. He seemed to spend a fair bit of time roaming around.

Based on my quick back of napkin numbers, earlier in the season, English was taking 95% of the CBs and 75-80% of the non CB ruck contests. The non-CB ruck attendances for non-English players crept up as the season went on. In English’s previous game Cordy did 8% CBs and 40% non-CB ruck contests.

Last night English was in for 80% of CBs and 64% of the non-CB ruck contests. Sweet did 20% and 36%. So English started in the middle most of the time but they let Sweet pick up more work at throw ins and ball ups.

If the coaches have determined the best thing for English is the second ruck doing 35-40% of the non-CB ruck work then I’d prefer Sweet to Cordy. Only our staff would know if reducing the CBAs for English was helpful for him last night.

Sweet’s first game forward, so I’ll give him a chance, but he wasn't great. Still probably comparable to Cordy’s recent output though.
Yeah it’s a good point, I think that should be the go - Timmy start in the middle and roam and Sweet do a fair chunk of the round the ground throw ins (which is the one part Timmy can still struggle with against bigger rucks). Ideally our main objective of the 2nd ruck should be to do just enough of the heavy lifting to allow Timmy to dominate for as much of the game as needed - last night he didn’t need much support to do that, but for example against Carlton or Richmond he would probably need Sweet to take a good 40% + to allow him to be at his best for the other 60%.

Sweet wasn’t great for sure and Timmy outstanding, but let’s not forget Cordy is just as much of a liability as Sweet forward so what are we really losing? Cordy was smashed both in the ruck and up forward in the VFL yesterday. Plus it was such a relief to never lose the upper hand in the midfield.

If we’re going to be set on playing English for huge ruck numbers I’m definitely not sold on Sweet as the 2nd ruck option but I still think we need to give them more time - considering there’s no upgrade available right now, I cannot believe people see midfield dominance like last night yet want to go back to Dunks & Macrae rucking tbh

Either way, the main take away from this year is English can be best ruck in the league which is such a relief after I thought that ship had sailed last year. What a gun. Darcy is a clone too, the English/Darcy combo in 2-3 years sounds mouthwatering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back