Autopsy Dogs smash the Bombers: 137 - 33

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely awesome to win by 100+, especially over a team above us on the ladder, but wow Essendon were abysmal. They put almost no pressure on our players and we pretty much did as we pleased. It just would've been nice to topple that record 120 point win from 1985!

The thing is, it's not like they didn't show up. At the start of the game both teams looked very much on and the pressure and intensity felt like it was right up. I personally got the sense that both teams were hungry and that we were in for a good game. What eventuated was that we just got the upper hand and then strangled the life out of them and demoralised them. It was the most brutal/ruthless I've seen us under Bevo. We really sent a message to the rest of the comp that if we get hold of you then it's not going to be pleasant.

I think we lost the ruck battle last night. Clarke had almost double the hit outs that English had iirc
It’s funny though, it really looked like English dominated watching it live, around the ground he was great. He really is becoming a fine follower. Reminds me of Wynd’s ruck work, 2nd efforts etc.. Coming along nicely. Hopefully Mumford doesn’t get hold of us next week.

I think we lost the ruck battle last night. Clarke had almost double the hit outs that English had iirc

I disagree.

Clarke had 10 hit outs to advantage to English's 6.
Clarke had 9 disposals (2 kicks) to English's 17 (13 kicks).
Clarke had 1 mark to English's 5
Clarke had 2 tackles to English's 4.
Clarke had 85 metres gained to English's 292.

I think English smashed him around the ground and was huge for us, whereas Clarke had a few more hitouts but really gave them very little else.

This year has been one hell of a rollercoaster. 2016’s success still sits well with me because despite missing finals the last 2 years, I’ve seen our team transform into something that has made me attend more games than ever. 9 in total with 4 wins against Swans, Dees, Freo and last night; 5 losses with every 4 of those dreadful lesser teams being games I took my cousin on uni exchange from Malaysia to (borderline cursed).
Last night was weird, Round 21 and not one game this year yet had I been concerned for seating availability and yet there I was right on the top of Tier 3 Row X above our cheer squad praying I wasn’t sitting in a prereserved seat.
31E11BDC-79FD-404B-AAE2-9637962AE31F.jpeg
There was an incredible buzz though, there was so much to play for for both teams which I guess reflected in the attendance turnout but this was a challenge to face a big crowd. Despite the continual question whether the quality in football games has improved or declined (most spectators leaning towards decline for various reasons of umpiring, VAR, goalkicking); since our 2016 glory, I actually at least credit the leagues equalisation measures where now, there is rarely an ‘easy’ game and any team can win on a good day. As they went ahead to kick the first goal within 20 seconds setup by a clearance from Stringer himself, the dons fans roar was loud and you wouldn’t have predicted we would pile on the next 21 majors, it was indescribable. I pensively enjoyed what played out for essentially the rest of the match where I could not relax until we had blatantly destroyed them, it’s been a long time since truly putting a team away in a true 4 quarter effort like that. It was hard to be comfortable despite the display because the mentality remained that as soon as you think we’ve got the game, that’s when they get on a roll and chase us down. And if our games this year or the past few years for that matter are anything to go by (and even watching neutral games), I know that any team even the Top 4 teams can be made to look incredibly bad with game momentum/goalkicking issues/GOALLESS QUARTERS which kept me unsettled despite what was playing out.
For sure they had a decent number of notable players out; but injuries don’t account for 21 goals going unanswered and for that it must be said, we were playing out of our skin. The setup was right and we finally put a no mercy 4 quarter effort in which had been long desired. Few games there have been in the last few years where no one played a bad game but last night, there was truly no one who did.
You gotta savour this kind of win with a write up like this coz as descriptively laid out before, there’s any chance of returning to a mediocre performance. But last night was a sign of what has been trimmed back personnel wise of the heroic 2016 team to the promise of this new one. We have still been consistently in the youngest team fielded bracket which helps me sleep at night after our shocker performances and missing out on finals last 2 years; but also have the optics to see what the future is brewing, especially after a spectacle like last night.
Took the bus home, jumped onto the TV to go for round 2 and watch it recorded on Foxtel to analyse with delight. So then, would love to do a player write up of each player after such a win but that’s too taxing these days, so we’ll pick some out for mentions.
Dunkley: Just when you thought the midfield with Bont and Macrae with supporting acts was a decent midfield, this guy has truly stepped into his own. After ironing out aspects of his game that were beyond his limitations, he could be anything and has found his niche in just getting from contest to contest and relentlessly going for the hardball or the man. Recognition building across the competition and suddenly there’s 3 starting midfielders that can cause tagging headaches for opposition. Also finding his handy goals in most games now, I nearly thought he missed the open goal running in from my angle up on tier 3, Thankfully didn’t.
McLean: Had some telling contests early in the game that shaped the outcome. Setting up both Dickson and Duckley’s goals by simply bringing the ball to ground (most notably the one against Hooker) and being harder at the ball once it hit the ground. Got his goals in too, been massive since his VFL Spell.
English: Probably THE rollercoaster in contrast of our season. Early days a young unstable giraffe that showed great signs and got gassed to the point of calls to be dropped. It has been the battle with supporter and developmental patience where Bev has backed him in and suddenly, you see that decision to keep playing him has got him building a tank to competently play out games. Despite his ruck work needing improvement which we can all see coming along, his work around the ground can now not be understated where every time I looked to a contested long kick, he was there, being where we needed him to be. Hats off to you and the coaching staff for persisting with playing him even when us supporters thought it best to spell him in the 2s.
B.Smith: Holy hell this kid is good. Any other year Rising Star, and no reason why he couldn’t shake it up this year. For all the attributes us supporters can heap praise on, there’s one thing about him I keep shaking my head over. He never gets caught, somehow, Always.gets.a.handball.out. If you wanted any indication to why this kid has played every game of his debut season: while we have our ball magnets getting leather poisoning, this guy bobs up in contests around the ground and creates more contested headaches for opposition. Notice too how numerous times per game he is on the end of kicks between Wing/Half Forward; when he’s not bustling the contest he’s providing a forward link option that we’ve been dying for with poor forward entries.
Naughton: Freak. Personally I’m in the prefer him in backline camp but happy for his time forward to turn him into potentially the games best swingman. At least until we either recruit an established walk in KPD/KPF, whichever comes first. Despite my backline preferences, I must say what a world of difference it makes having an option like him charging out of the forward 50 and creating a realistic marking option on a pressured lead or in a marking contest. Happy with him staying forward except for quiet halves when the backline is heavily leaking from an opposition’s Key Forward.
Dickson: Happy for him when he gets into this kind of form. Getting on with age and when someone like him has a slow start to season, his return games aren’t very good optics where he needs to rely on goals coz his pressure may not be there. But he’s the prime example of when he finally gets a run of games going, his goals come but his small forward pressure is back which can even be found impacting up the ground.
Dale: Never wrote this kid off through injury/form patches and he may have found himself a nifty tailored spot at the right time when we needed it. Ever since his debut 2015 year he showed that with his interesting frame, he has a rocket of a kick and it showed in his first game back against the Saints where he can clear them from 50. Despite such lowly opposition yesterday, he even had moments bodylining a ball on the wing, bursting through and leading to a goal. Would definitely have him pinned to have a valuable forward role now going forward and also as Tory eventually hangs them up.
Lloyd: Many still have it out for him as a ‘fringe’ player but he has delivered on the value I knew he could bring to our club and hasn’t done much wrong. There were a few games early in the season where he’d have ‘almost’ games settling into the team and last night, he had one of those almost games but still managed to positively contribute as link up wing options like Richards/Hayes/Dickson were doing when required. Happy he eventually got that deserved goal coz he either has a stinker streak of behinds or clutches goals when we are desperate for one.
Schache: Similar to Lloyd in the almost game category, definitely has a few of them but now he’s building into something. Putting his head over the ball in the contest and keeps trying once ball hits the ground. Starting to get reward for his efforts and he showed that reliable kicking with 3 straight. Starting to provide that foil for one another with Naughton and whilst he had his almost marking moments in the forward 50, he presented up with some lead up grabs like Naughton which got him involved in the game before getting the rewards.
Duryea: Knew he came in to provide experience for a young team but wasn’t sure if he was worth it or even Best 22 coming in. Since his first few games doing some handy things but also some clangers with Hawthorn nonchalant habits, he is the prime example of Bev coaching a player to a role that they can thrive in. Has come out the winner in many key contests in games post-bye and been a defensive rock against whoever he’s assigned to.
Lipinski: Probably the one I want to mention most today. A few posts mentioning not enough love for Lip. After being at the game, then watching the replay straight after, you pick up the little things and this guy is all about the little things. He’s similar to B.Smith in that he doesn’t necessarily rack up big numbers but instead of being the tackle wearing hardnut like Smith, I’d liken him to how Macrae is a silent assassin; I’d go even quieter and call him a Spectre. Where now Macrae racks up monsterous numbers and the whole competition knows him, this guy is following a similar trajectory but doing it differently. Some passages of play he gets a little hand in here and there that disrupts the oppositions contested chain and turns it around to our favour. He’s also not afraid of the hardball either, knows how to play our running system and can rack them up on a good day and add goals. Just when you wonder how stacked our midfield lineup is, this guy is just ready in the wings to throw his weight around as well.
Crozier: Just check his Player Thread.
Shoutout to Trengove last night, no dumb free kicks last night and barely missed a spoil. Largely the beneficiary of playing a lowly side and our midfield standing up and boosting the defensive structure but didn’t worry at all about his game unlike many other times in the season.
Love a good write up after a good win. We’re seriously building into something and as a glass half full supporter, it puts everything since 2016 into perspective that certain things weren’t sustainable and that Bev and co have actually done a good job pruning this rose where it hasn’t been all pretty (goalkicking/goalless quarters), but you see the resilience that comes through the disappointment into something promising. And to think we have the flexible salary cap room that other teams are strangling on and once we can go and find an established KPP to strengthen the spine and bolster the contracts of our current stars, we could be the Hawks Dynasty.
If you endured all that, Thanks for reading, feel free to quote and chat about anything mentioned.

Last edited:
The thing is, it's not like they didn't show up. At the start of the game both teams looked very much on and the pressure and intensity felt like it was right up. I personally got the sense that both teams were hungry and that we were in for a good game. What eventuated was that we just got the upper hand and then strangled the life out of them and demoralised them. It was the most brutal/ruthless I've seen us under Bevo. We really sent a message to the rest of the comp that if we get hold of you then it's not going to be pleasant.
Agreed. It was great to see team pressure and real intent at the contest, inc Schache. The doper just melted

How far we've come in 12 months. Last year the story was our second halves, only winning five in an entire season.

We've won our last seven second halves now.

There's a lot to like, but still a few areas we need to improve if we want to content. It goes without saying our biggest issue is our conversion in front of goal. Get that right and the sky is the limit.

I disagree.

I think English smashed him around the ground and was huge for us, whereas Clarke had a few more hitouts but really gave them very little else.

Pretty sure he was just talking about hitouts. English was obviously much better around the ground than Clarke who is certainly the worst ruck and possibly the worst player getting AFL games in the comp.

This year has been one hell of a rollercoaster. 2016’s success still sits well with me because despite missing finals the last 2 years, I’ve seen our team transform into something that has made me attend more games than ever. 9 in total with 4 wins against Swans, Dees, Freo and last night; 5 losses with every 4 of those dreadful lesser teams being games I took my cousin on uni exchange from Malaysia to (borderline cursed).
Last night was weird, Round 21 and not one game this year yet had I been concerned for seating availability and yet there I was right on the top of Tier 3 Row X above our cheer squad praying I wasn’t sitting in a prereserved seat.
View attachment 724961
There was an incredible buzz though, there was so much to play for for both teams which I guess reflected in the attendance turnout but this was a challenge to face a big crowd. Despite the continual question whether the quality in football games has improved or declined (most spectators leaning towards decline for various reasons of umpiring, VAR, goalkicking); since our 2016 glory, I actually at least credit the leagues equalisation measures where now, there is rarely an ‘easy’ game and any team can win on a good day. As they went ahead to kick the first goal within 20 seconds setup by a clearance from Stringer himself, the dons fans roar was loud and you wouldn’t have predicted we would pile on the next 21 majors, it was indescribable. I pensively enjoyed what played out for essentially the rest of the match where I could not relax until we had blatantly destroyed them, it’s been a long time since truly putting a team away in a true 4 quarter effort like that. It was hard to be comfortable despite the display because the mentality remained that as soon as you think we’ve got the game, that’s when they get on a roll and chase us down. And if our games this year or the past few years for that matter are anything to go by (and even watching neutral games), I know that any team even the Top 4 teams can be made to look incredibly bad with game momentum/goalkicking issues/GOALLESS QUARTERS which kept me unsettled despite what was playing out.
For sure they had a decent number of notable players out; but injuries don’t account for 21 goals going unanswered and for that it must be said, we were playing out of our skin. The setup was right and we finally put a no mercy 4 quarter effort in which had been long desired. Few games there have been in the last few years where no one played a bad game but last night, there was truly no one who did.
You gotta savour this kind of win with a write up like this coz as descriptively laid out before, there’s any chance of returning to a mediocre performance. But last night was a sign of what has been trimmed back personnel wise of the heroic 2016 team to the promise of this new one. We have still been consistently in the youngest team fielded bracket which helps me sleep at night after our shocker performances and missing out on finals last 2 years; but also have the optics to see what the future is brewing, especially after a spectacle like last night.
Took the bus home, jumped onto the TV to go for round 2 and watch it recorded on Foxtel to analyse with delight. So then, would love to do a player write up of each player after such a win but that’s too taxing these days, so we’ll pick some out for mentions.
Dunkley: Just when you thought the midfield with Bont and Macrae with supporting acts was a decent midfield, this guy has truly stepped into his own. After ironing out aspects of his game that were beyond his limitations, he could be anything and has found his niche in just getting from contest to contest and relentlessly going for the hardball or the man. Recognition building across the competition and suddenly there’s 3 starting midfielders that can cause tagging headaches for opposition. Also finding his handy goals in most games now, I nearly thought he missed the open goal running in from my angle up on tier 3, Thankfully didn’t.
McLean: Had some telling contests early in the game that shaped the outcome. Setting up both Dickson and Duckley’s goals by simply bringing the ball to ground (most notably the one against Hooker) and being harder at the ball once it hit the ground. Got his goals in too, been massive since his VFL Spell.
English: Probably THE rollercoaster in contrast of our season. Early days a young unstable giraffe that showed great signs and got gassed to the point of calls to be dropped. It has been the battle with supporter and developmental patience where Bev has backed him in and suddenly, you see that decision to keep playing him has got him building a tank to competently play out games. Despite his ruck work needing improvement which we can all see coming along, his work around the ground can now not be understated where every time I looked to a contested long kick, he was there, being where we needed him to be. Hats off to you and the coaching staff for persisting with playing him even when us supporters thought it best to spell him in the 2s.
B.Smith: Holy hell this kid is good. Any other year Rising Star, and no reason why he couldn’t shake it up this year. For all the attributes us supporters can heap praise on, there’s one thing about him I keep shaking my head over. He never gets caught, somehow, Always.gets.a.handball.out. If you wanted any indication to why this kid has played every game of his debut season: while we have our ball magnets getting leather poisoning, this guy bobs up in contests around the ground and creates more contested headaches for opposition. Notice too how numerous times per game he is on the end of kicks between Wing/Half Forward; when he’s not bustling the contest he’s providing a forward link option that we’ve been dying for with poor forward entries.
Naughton: Freak. Personally I’m in the prefer him in backline camp but happy for his time forward to turn him into potentially the games best swingman. At least until we either recruit an established walk in KPD/KPF, whichever comes first. Despite my backline preferences, I must say what a world of difference it makes having an option like him charging out of the forward 50 and creating a realistic marking option on a pressured lead or in a marking contest. Happy with him staying forward except for quiet halves when the backline is heavily leaking from an opposition’s Key Forward.
Dickson: Happy for him when he gets into this kind of form. Getting on with age and when someone like him has a slow start to season, his return games aren’t very good optics where he needs to rely on goals coz his pressure may not be there. But he’s the prime example of when he finally gets a run of games going, his goals come but his small forward pressure is back which can even be found impacting up the ground.
Dale: Never wrote this kid off through injury/form patches and he may have found himself a nifty tailored spot at the right time when we needed it. Ever since his debut 2015 year he showed that with his interesting frame, he has a rocket of a kick and it showed in his first game back against the Saints where he can clear them from 50. Despite such lowly opposition yesterday, he even had moments bodylining a ball on the wing, bursting through and leading to a goal. Would definitely have him pinned to have a valuable forward role now going forward and also as Tory eventually hangs them up.
Lloyd: Many still have it out for him as a ‘fringe’ player but he has delivered on the value I knew he could bring to our club and hasn’t done much wrong. There were a few games early in the season where he’d have ‘almost’ games settling into the team and last night, he had one of those almost games but still managed to positively contribute as link up wing options like Richards/Hayes/Dickson were doing when required. Happy he eventually got that deserved goal coz he either has a stinker streak of behinds or clutches goals when we are desperate for one.
Schache: Similar to Lloyd in the almost game category, definitely has a few of them but now he’s building into something. Putting his head over the ball in the contest and keeps trying once ball hits the ground. Starting to get reward for his efforts and he showed that reliable kicking with 3 straight. Starting to provide that foil for one another with Naughton and whilst he had his almost marking moments in the forward 50, he presented up with some lead up grabs like Naughton which got him involved in the game before getting the rewards.
Duryea: Knew he came in to provide experience for a young team but wasn’t sure if he was worth it or even Best 22 coming in. Since his first few games doing some handy things but also some clangers with Hawthorn nonchalant habits, he is the prime example of Bev coaching a player to a role that they can thrive in. Has come out the winner in many key contests in games post-bye and been a defensive rock against whoever he’s assigned to.
Lipinski: Probably the one I want to mention most today. A few posts mentioning not enough love for Lip. After being at the game, then watching the replay straight after, you pick up the little things and this guy is all about the little things. He’s similar to B.Smith in that he doesn’t necessarily rack up big numbers but instead of being the tackle wearing hardnut like Smith, I’d liken him to how Macrae is a silent assassin; I’d go even quieter and call him a Spectre. Where now Macrae racks up monsterous numbers and the whole competition knows him, this guy is following a similar trajectory but doing it differently. Some passages of play he gets a little hand in here and there that disrupts the oppositions contested chain and turns it around to our favour. He’s also not afraid of the hardball either, knows how to play our running system and can rack them up on a good day and add goals. Just when you wonder how stacked our midfield lineup is, this guy is just ready in the wings to throw his weight around as well.
Crosier: Just check his Player Thread.
Shoutout to Trengove last night, no dumb free kicks last night and barely missed a spoil. Largely the beneficiary of playing a lowly side and our midfield standing up and boosting the defensive structure but didn’t worry at all about his game unlike many other times in the season.
Love a good write up after a good win. We’re seriously building into something and as a glass half full supporter, it puts everything since 2016 into perspective that certain things weren’t sustainable and that Bev and co have actually done a good job pruning this rose where it hasn’t been all pretty (goalkicking/goalless quarters), but you see the resilience that comes through the disappointment into something promising. And to think we have the flexible salary cap room that other teams are strangling on and once we can go and find an established KPP to strengthen the spine and bolster the contracts of our current stars, we could be the Hawks Dynasty.
If you endured all that, Thanks for reading, feel free to quote and chat about anything mentioned.
I was sitting a few rows in front of you amongst my stunned Bombres mates.

What a delight it was to be at that game.

Anywho...Lipinski. I'm with you. He just knows how to football in a stunningly effective but undemonstrative fashion. Fantastic touch and awareness. The little things, the little touches as you say. Magcian like with that sleight of hand.

Mclean was back to his old self too which will be useful if we're able to progress.

I disagree.

Yeah, I was only referring to hit out numbers. 38-20 I think.
Around the ground English had him covered comfortably which is the case most weeks with our young ruckman. Grundy and Marshall are probably the only two that have had the better of him around the ground this season.

It’s funny though, it really looked like English dominated watching it live, around the ground he was great. He really is becoming a fine follower. Reminds me of Wynd’s ruck work, 2nd efforts etc.. Coming along nicely. Hopefully Mumford doesn’t get hold of us next week.

Wouldn’t mind Wynd 2.0 running around in the red white and blue for the next 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t mind Wynd 2.0 running around in the red white and blue for the next 10 years.

Yes please. It's easy to forget how dominant he was in '92 and again through '97 and '98. You just knew he would take control in the middle and was impassable dropping into the hole down back. Good memories.

I disagree.

Yep ditto. For mine English beat Clarke convincingly. I would take a few less hit-outs f English is beating his opponent around the ground.
Granted, Clarke isn't very good and a fit Bellchambers or even Draper (who hasn't debuted yet due to his ACL) might have been picked ahead of him anyway.

TBH I think English is a little more Darcy than Wynd. He runs forward of the ball to provide an option where he can and can rest forward, while Wynd was just an absolute warrior who often played a kick behind the play then would beat the crap out of anyone on the ground who got between him and the ball.

TBH I think English is a little more Darcy than Wynd. He runs forward of the ball to provide an option where he can and can rest forward, while Wynd was just an absolute warrior who often played a kick behind the play then would beat the crap out of anyone on the ground who got between him and the ball.

Yeah that’s true. Was a work horse around the ground and at the contest but not a real offensive weapon.

Yeah, I was only referring to hit out numbers. 38-20 I think.
Around the ground English had him covered comfortably which is the case most weeks with our young ruckman. Grundy and Marshall are probably the only two that have had the better of him around the ground this season.
Goldstein wiped and powdered young Tim's anus when we played North Melbourne. We have been sharking
the opposition ruck all year or at least trying to.

I would like the see the centre square hit outs. English was getting his hand on them and belting it forward numerous times. When he gets a chance to run and jump he is okay, it's just that he has zero strength when there's some body on body contact in ruck contests.

Goldstein wiped and powdered young Tim's anus when we played North Melbourne. We have been sharking
the opposition ruck all year or at least trying to.

We’re talking about Tim’s work around the ground, not hit out numbers. But yes, Goldstein had him covered too.

A stat that will probably blow people's mind is that we are number 1 in the AFL for marks inside 50, as well as having the most scoring shots in the competition. Our forward has been functioning pretty well all year with the exception of our finishing. I think it's no surprise that having some better finishes like Schache and Dale in the team compared to Gowers is a big reason for our improvement in form.

A stat that will probably blow people's mind is that we are number 1 in the AFL for marks inside 50, as well as having the most scoring shots in the competition. Our forward has been functioning pretty well all year with the exception of our finishing. I think it's no surprise that having some better finishes like Schache and Dale in the team compared to Gowers is a big reason for our improvement in form.

Nice that we now have some actual forwards who know where to position themselves and obviously Naughton forward has done wonders for our forward line.

I think a third tall forward who can take a contested grab (like Membrey) would be ideal.

Tim English: An epic journey of courage

Round 1: Versus Sydney 19 x Hit Outs
Round 2: Versus Hawthorn 15 x Hit Outs
Round 3: Versus Gold Coast 15 x Hit Outs
Round 4: Versus Collingwood 6 x Hit Outs
Round 5: Versus Carlton 28 x Hit Outs
Round 6: Versus Fremantle 21 x Hit Outs
Round 7: Versus Richmond 26 x Hit Outs

Round 10: Versus North Melbourne 7 x Hit Outs
Round 11: Versus West Coast 27 x Hit Outs
Round 13: Versus Carlton 29 x Hit Outs
Round 14: Versus Collingwood 16 x Hit Outs
Round 15: Versus Port Adelaide 10 Hit Outs
Round 16: Versus Geelong 18 x Hit Outs
Round 17: Versus Melbourne 7 x Hit Outs
Round 18: Versus St Kilda 23 x Hit Outs
Round 19: Versus Fremantle 14 x Hit Outs
Round 20: Versus Brisbane 27 x Hit Outs
Round 22: Versus Essendon 20 x Hit Outs

116 x Kicks, 115 x Handballs, 328 Hit Outs @ 18.2 Average Per Game

Ranked 27th for Average Hit Outs
Ranked 16th for Total Hit Outs
Ranked 46th for One Percenters 5.28 Average Per Game (Which is good for a young man) :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back