Dogs to remember the 1989 fightback

Remove this Banner Ad

Full details here, including ordering your own 89 playing jumper replica at https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-12/bulldogs-to-remember-the-fightback-of-1989

HOW WILL IT BE CELEBRATED?

The Western Bulldogs’ Round 17 AFL game against Melbourne will be the Fightback Round. Some of the activities leading up to, and at the game on Sunday, July 14, include:

The launch of a specially themed guernsey, paying homage to the Fightback campaign of 1989, to be worn by both the AFL and VFL teams on Sunday, July 14.
A VFL match being played - Footscray vs Casey Demons - as the curtain raiser to the AFL at Marvel Stadium from 11.50am. Both games broadcast live on Channel 7.

Specially designed off-field merchandise range, including scarf, hoodie, t-shirt and cap.
Limited edition merchandise pack, including scarf, ‘Up Yours Oakley’ badge and commemorative membership card, with the purchase of a Three-Game or Sideline membership (current members can purchase the pack separately).

A fan-voted countdown of the top 30 most significant Footscray/Western Bulldogs moments from the last 30 years.

A podcast series hosted by Bob Murphy, and video series, which explore the people who played key roles in saving the club in 1989.

Fightback themed official match-day function at Marvel Stadium.

Just watched the news item on this.
Heartwarming stuff. It’d be nice to think fans could rise up and overturn an AFL decision these days, but I’m not so sure. Great stuff Doggies fans.
#upyoursoakley

I have my "Up Yours Oakley" bumper sticker and the receipt from my donation. Both are in better condition than me after 30 years. :D

C465C3C1-AD95-44DC-ACA5-BE3C88B2C62D.jpeg
I was following the bulldogs quite vigorously then, but that ratio of the hoops (red too fat, white too thin and too low) may be correct to the time but still terrible. Early versions of these ‘colour TV’ hoops were much better.

Personally, I don’t think we should be celebrating a day where our club nearly died. To focus on negative moments in our history only attracts more. I would rather we focus on winning more premierships and getting out of the quagmire we are in as a club onfield!

I have my "Up Yours Oakley" bumper sticker and the receipt from my donation. Both are in better condition than me after 30 years. :D

I was there at a couple of the meetings, tagged along with an old players daughter and got involved. Solid friendships were made through the fightback that will last a lifetime, most of us are still in touch today. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

That was a fantastic day. I had driven to Melbourne from Perth with a few others for the Grand Final. I wasn't even a Footscray member that year, having joined West Coast to get into games cheaper in Perth. I sat in the Whitten Stand in my old seat. The emotion was indescribable. I was determined that when I returned to live in Melbourne the next year that I was not going to follow the Fitzroy Bulldogs. Luckily I didn't have to thanks to those who fought for and contributed money to the club.

My goal now is to be there at Marvel for Round 17.

30 years from the club almost ceasing to exist is a significant anniversary. It’s perfectly understandable and commonplace that a club may seek to make some revenue from such a milestone. Surprised by some of the negativity and that the club hasn’t made more of it to be honest. Outside of the premierships what more significant events have there been in the club’s history?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a great idea, very much worthy of remembering / celebrating. I was very young at the time, never understood the significance of what was happening around me, but I remember the donation barrels quite distinctly now and am forever thankful for those that stuck with the Dogs at the time.

I hope the retro guernseys inspire us as much as the Thor guernseys did in R1!

Personally, I don’t think we should be celebrating a day where our club nearly died. To focus on negative moments in our history only attracts more. I would rather we focus on winning more premierships and getting out of the quagmire we are in as a club onfield!
We'd be celebrating the day where we took on the big-wigs at AFL house and won, forever stamping Australian Rules football at the people's game.

It's an incredible victory that deserves to be celebrated.

God ppl piss me off - meaning anyone who now reaps the benefits of a great achievement the club made in '89. And by club I mean it's supporters inclusive.
Had a go at a Dick who didn't care on Facebook too.
You Dicks wouldn't be following Western Bulldogs if it wasn't for '89.
You're disrespecting my mum and dad (now deceased) who went to the rally. Dad took us to the footy every week. Mum never attended a game, but by God was she pissed when that was going to be taken away from her family. I hitched a ride with them to the rally as I'd totalled my car grand final day that year.
I'll never forget an elderly St Kilda supporter walking to the ground with us. We thanked her for coming and she said "we'll be next" if the bulldogs weren't able to stop this.
Just shows the "me me me" generation. No bloody respect.
And really, if you don't give a *, good on you. Just shut up and let those who do give a s**t enjoy their triumph.
Yeah I'm in a foul mood. Trying to quit the **** so I'm titchier than usual!!!!!!! But I'm correct in what I'm saying.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a great story and I love that part of it - the storytelling - but when it crosses over to marketing it leaves me yawning and I switch off.

Yes, I understand that we need merchandising to raise money so we don't have to rattle tins again and I do hope we raise a squillion, but I can't help my visceral aversion to formulaic marketing, whoever it comes from. It's involuntary.

I care about the anniversary, I just meant that I don't care how thick or thin the hoops are or whether they sit exactly the same way they did on the original Guernsey.

Well, I DO care about the hoops. No offence to you Scrag, but that jumper Bont is wearing is not an accurate representation of our hooped jumper from the era. If we're going to celebrate 1989, I'd like to see areplica of the actual 1989 jumper, not a 2019 re-interpretation of it. Come on club, FFS, it's not hard...

https://www.footyjumpers.com/footscrayhome.htm

Well, I DO care about the hoops. No offence to you Scrag, but that jumper Bont is wearing is not an accurate representation of our hooped jumper from the era. If we're going to celebrate 1989, I'd like to see areplica of the actual 1989 jumper, not a 2019 re-interpretation of it. Come on club, FFS, it's not hard...

https://www.footyjumpers.com/footscrayhome.htm

Well I guess that's a fair opinion. I prefer this new one and I'll definitely be buying one. I guess it just comes down to taste. I don't think it does the occasion any disservice having the jumper slightly different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back