Game Day Dogs v Pies - AFLW

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
So what's that? 6 free kicks to nil this quarter? Seems a familiar trend.
Just would have turned it over anyway.
Pies just too strong all over field.
Ball has lived in their forward half.
Wake up call.

Can hardly blame the frees like the Saints game, we just have no way to get past the defence.
Not saying they weren't all there (although some seemed 50-50). I'm just wondering why we give away so many every week. Are we that inept? Perhaps we should just take the tackle like other sides do rather than try to handball and get pinged for incorrect disposal?
I dunno. Looking for reasons why the FK count always seems to be one-sided.

Anyone else reckon the 50m penalty is disproportionate in AFLW where the average kick is maybe 30-35m? In men's footy the average kick is about 45-50.
Not a whinge. Just an observation.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very disappointing day resulting in our biggest loss in AFLW history.

We battled hard in the first half but were lucky to be in front at HT. We lost all composure in the third quarter with our pressure being way down and our efficiency awful.

For the match we were -12% for kicking efficiency, -18% for handball efficiency and gave way 12 unforced turnovers to 5, along with being -76 in uncontested possesssions. Take nothing away from Collingwood they were outstanding and are clearly the favourites along with Fremantle, but we were our own worst enemy for most of the match. They scored 5.6 (36) from turnovers which was the difference in the end. Blackburn having one of her weaker games certainly didn’t help.

I thought Brown was outstanding, in fact our defence as a whole was outstanding considering how many times they got it in there with Ferres, Lynch, Scott and Guest all defending well it was just what happened after that was the problem.

Lamb battled hard as did Lochland and Pritchard was solid on debut. I really like having Georgostathis and Hartwig in the team both are fast and have terrific pressure.

Rennie only played 45% of the match so not sure if she has an injury which meant Moody had to take most of the ruck contests.

We need to win 2 out of the last 3 to make the Top 6 which is very possible, especially if we beat North this coming Saturday.

Now as always here are some rarer stats…

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
29 - Moody (17/3)
17 - Rennie (7/1)
2 - Marshall (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

CO: 6
WB: 4

First Possessions
CO: 24
WB: 15

Clearances/Effective Clearances
CO: 20/16
WB: 15/13

Tackle Efficiency
CO: 71%
WB: 64%

Forward Half Contested Marks
CO: 4
WB: 1

Score Launches
1 - Blackburn, Brown, Ferres, Fitzgerald, Moody

Shots At Goal
CO: 25 (28%)

WB: 9 (22%)

Targets Inside 50
4 - Huntington, Toogood
2 - Marshall
1 - Newton, Scott

Unforced Turnovers
CO: 5
WB: 12

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Georgostathis
1 - Fitzgerald, Hunt, Moody

Pressure Gauge
CO: 204 (Elite)
WB: 193 (Average)

Champion Data Ranking Points/Supercoach Points
129 - Lamb
121 - Brown
93 - Ferres
88 - Blackburn
83 - Lynch
79 - Scott
76 - Fitzgerald
71 - Guest
71 - Moody
66 - Lochland
64 - Pritchard
63 - Georgostathis
49 - Newton
47 - Huntington
46 - Rennie
43 - Hartwig
41 - Toogood
28 - Hunt
25 - Marshall
25 - Gamble
11 - McLeod

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 5.46.29 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 5.46.49 pm.png

TBOW

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

We battled hard in the first half but were lucky to be in front at HT. We lost all composure in the third quarter with our pressure being way down and our efficiency awful.

For the match we were -12% for kicking efficiency, -18% for handball efficiency and gave way 12 unforced turnovers to 5, along with being -76 in uncontested possesssions. Take nothing away from Collingwood they were outstanding and are clearly the favourites along with Fremantle, but we were our own worst enemy for most of the match. They scored 5.6 (36) from turnovers which was the difference in the end. Blackburn having one of her weaker games certainly didn’t help.

I thought Brown was outstanding, in fact our defence as a whole was outstanding considering how many times they got it in there with Ferres, Lynch, Scott and Guest all defending well it was just what happened after that was the problem.

Lamb battled hard as did Lochland and Pritchard was solid on debut. I really like having Georgostathis and Hartwig in the team both are fast and have terrific pressure.

Rennie only played 45% of the match so not sure if she has an injury which meant Moody had to take most of the ruck contests.

We need to win 2 out of the last 3 to make the Top 6 which is very possible, especially if we beat North this coming Saturday.

29 - Moody (17/3)
17 - Rennie (7/1)
2 - Marshall (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

First Possessions

Tackle Efficiency

Score Launches

Shots At Goal

Targets Inside 50
4 - Huntington, Toogood
2 - Marshall
1 - Newton, Scott

Unforced Turnovers

2 - Georgostathis

Pressure Gauge

129 - Lamb
121 - Brown
93 - Ferres
88 - Blackburn
83 - Lynch
79 - Scott
76 - Fitzgerald
71 - Guest
71 - Moody
66 - Lochland
64 - Pritchard
63 - Georgostathis
49 - Newton
47 - Huntington
46 - Rennie
43 - Hartwig
41 - Toogood
28 - Hunt
25 - Marshall
25 - Gamble
11 - McLeod

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1072215

Score Sources
View attachment 1072216
It looked like Collingwood had players sitting on Lamb and Blackburn which pretty much nullified our engine room.
Another big body in there would make a huge difference but unfortunately most of our girls are too young and too light to mix it with the big girls just yet.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It looked like Collingwood had players sitting on Lamb and Blackburn which pretty much nullified our engine room.
Another big body in there would make a huge difference but unfortunately most of our girls are too young and too light to mix it with the big girls just yet.

True our youth was badly exposed today. We also don't have anyone who can tag if we were able to stop Davey we would've been a chance.

Doss13

Draftee
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

29 - Moody (17/3)
17 - Rennie (7/1)
2 - Marshall (0/0)

Hitouts To Advantage

First Possessions

Tackle Efficiency

Score Launches

Shots At Goal

Targets Inside 50
4 - Huntington, Toogood
2 - Marshall
1 - Newton, Scott

Unforced Turnovers

2 - Georgostathis

Pressure Gauge

129 - Lamb
121 - Brown
93 - Ferres
88 - Blackburn
83 - Lynch
79 - Scott
76 - Fitzgerald
71 - Guest
71 - Moody
66 - Lochland
64 - Pritchard
63 - Georgostathis
49 - Newton
47 - Huntington
46 - Rennie
43 - Hartwig
41 - Toogood
28 - Hunt
25 - Marshall
25 - Gamble
11 - McLeod

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1072215

Score Sources
View attachment 1072216

Hey, I'd love to know where you get these stats - I've been looking around for more AFLW stats, but haven't been able to find much. This looks very in depth

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey, I'd love to know where you get these stats - I've been looking around for more AFLW stats, but haven't been able to find much. This looks very in depth

I have a friend with Champion Data access who passes them onto me after each match. We do cover basic stats and historical player and team records at AF...

But if you after anything advanced send me a DM and i'll put in a request.

Last edited:
Back