Dogs v swans changes

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Duryea is a valuable player in the lineup. Having said that, Cleary has been very good for Footscray and deserves a chance.I dont think Cleary is a swap for Gardner though. The Swans have 2 to 3 Key forwards ( Franklin,McDonald,Amartey) - I cannot see Bruce not coming in unless Naughton goes back - and he won't if there is the choice to bring in a tall.

I reckon if Cleary comes in, Vandermeer will go out. If Gardner is out, Bruce is in. Scott out Cleary in is the other option, and move Vandermeer up the ground.

Would like to see us try 2 talls plus Cleary. I don't think our 3rd tall defender is doing enough to justify selection... well even arguably our 2nd tall isn't really either. Pies and Port get away with playing one genuine tall and 2 medium defenders. Surely we can try two talls plus a medium. Will give us a lot more run coming out of the back line.

Port's defence

Allir 194cm
McKenzie 191cm
Burton 190cm

Collingwood's defence

Moore 203cm
Murphy 192cm
Howe 190cm

Can’t play Darcy. Needs at least one more in the 2’s. We desperately need him but we won’t rush a 2nd year player after all the issues he’s had.

In Bruce out Gardiner
In Arty as sub to pressure ar the end of the game.

Can’t play Darcy. Needs at least one more in the 2’s. We desperately need him but we won’t rush a 2nd year player after all the issues he’s had.

In Bruce out Gardiner
In Arty as sub to pressure ar the end of the game.
Particularly if we want to play him back, Bevo mentioned that our key defenders generally have to play 100% game time

Particularly if we want to play him back, Bevo mentioned that our key defenders generally have to play 100% game time

Quiet a few posters talking about Darcy coming in and playing back.

Hasn’t played there since his 1’s games last year, and tracking beautifully up forward this season in the 2’s in the Fwd/Ruck role.

It’s pretty clear what the club has planned for him moving forwards. Certainly not coming in to play in the backline.

I don't think we'll make many changes this week.

What I'd really like to see is Lobb given significantly more Ruck time. Reckon there are several benefits;

• Lobb has zero confidence forward, but seems to get involved a lot more when Rucking. Would be good for him,
  • The forward line has functioned well with English down there. Seems to create space for others.
  • Hickey has taken a heavy load this year. English and Lobb in bursts can really work him over.
  • Sydney are undersized down back. Naughts/JUH/English would be almost undefendable with half decent supply.
  • We need English fully firing in 8 weeks time. A week or 2 with reduced Ruck load at this point couldn't be a bad thing.

I don't think we'll make many changes this week.

What I'd really like to see is Lobb given significantly more Ruck time. Reckon there are several benefits;

• Lobb has zero confidence forward, but seems to get involved a lot more when Rucking. Would be good for him,
  • The forward line has functioned well with English down there. Seems to create space for others.
  • Hickey has taken a heavy load this year. English and Lobb in bursts can really work him over.
  • Sydney are undersized down back. Naughts/JUH/English would be almost undefendable with half decent supply.
  • We need English fully firing in 8 weeks time. A week or 2 with reduced Ruck load at this point couldn't be a bad thing.
The past few games Lobb has been very effective when rucked. In the centre, he is a better tap ruckman than English to my eyes at least. I like your idea.

The past few games Lobb has been very effective when rucked. In the centre, he is a better tap ruckman than English to my eyes at least. I like your idea.
I dont see Lobb being better around the ground.

Bloke has no physicality and for someone who has been in the system that long is non competitive IMO. Personally, he should be charged with bringing the game into disrespect with what he has offered this year and an AFL investigation into match fixing should be issued into last years final! LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To the naked eye Lobb was very competitive as back up ruck at least and brought it to the ground (stats may not reflect that). I can’t see Darcy doing that yet.
The sooner Darcy goes past Lobb the better but at the moment Lobb is playing his role adequately (although could be much better). It's certainly not why we lost on the weekend.

Darcy hasn't had any continuity at any level this season. There's nothing wrong with him putting 3 or 4 performances together in the VFL like he did on the weekend. He has a long career ahead of him. We can all remember the impact he had on the games in round 1 and 2 which did him no favours.

Pretty surprised we are outsiders here. Bookies also have us as underdogs v Essendon. Two massive weeks coming up.

I am surprised by that. As disappointed as us fans are we have been in all games except the first 2. The other 5 loses we were in those games for long periods and our biggest lost is 22 points. The swans have had a lot more terrible game than us. The only thing they going for them is the SCG. As for the bombers they can be hot and cold and the likely out of Ridley from an undermanned backline against Astro and JUH is a big advantage to us.

Last edited:
I dont see Lobb being better around the ground.

Bloke has no physicality and for someone who has been in the system that long is non competitive IMO. Personally, he should be charged with bringing the game into disrespect with what he has offered this year and an AFL investigation into match fixing should be issued into last years final! LOL
Lobb is competitive at centre bounce clearances. English smashes him at everything else.

I am surprised by that. As disappointed as us fans are we have been in all games except the first 2. The other 5 loses we were in those games for long periods and our biggest lost is 22 points. The swans have had a lot more terrible game than us. The only thing they going for them is the SCG. As for the bombers they can be hot and cold and the likely out of Ridley from an undermanned backline against Astro and JUH is a big advantage to us.
Chris Scott has Bevo’s number

Brad Scott has Chris Scott’s phone number

I suspect that could be one reason we are underdogs.

Did he take CBAs?
Oliver Gigacz did you have an opinion on Darcy's ruckwork from the weekend?

In last year's disastrous final against Freo when Lobb and Sean Darcy were toweling English and the rest of our midfield, the best we looked during the onslaught was when Sam Darcy played minutes in there.

Just my 2c but happy to be proven wrong.

Garcia in for McNeil (need some physical impact)
Sweet in for Lobb (need to support English with a genuinely hard-bodied tap ruckman)
Darcy in for O'Donnell (another Bev experiment correction)
Buss in for Gardner (if injured)
GARCIA is a definite improvement. Like Sweet but won't happen.

The sooner Darcy goes past Lobb the better but at the moment Lobb is playing his role adequately (although could be much better). It's certainly not why we lost on the weekend.

Darcy hasn't had any continuity at any level this season. There's nothing wrong with him putting 3 or 4 performances together in the VFL like he did on the weekend. He has a long career ahead of him. We can all remember the impact he had on the games in round 1 and 2 which did him no favours.
Considering we screwed up his pre-season by delaying his ankle surgery, Lobb's been fine.
Ideally we get to rest and freshen him up but Darcy won't have anywhere near his running capacity yet to play a like for like replacement. I'd still be tempted given Sydney have a very short backline right now and no recognized second ruck, bar McLean who is a 198cm developing kid.

Garcia in for McNeil (need some physical impact)
Sweet in for Lobb (need to support English with a genuinely hard-bodied tap ruckman)
Darcy in for O'Donnell (another Bev experiment correction)
Buss in for Gardner (if injured)
The only good thing Lobb does is his ruckwork if you're dropping him it would be for Darcy only

Remove this Banner Ad

Back