Random Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 553959

The new apple of my eye. What I've learned is don't Google for advice, especially if it takes you to the US forums. Those guys are nuts.

EDIT: But **** it coz I know most of you aren't nuts I'll throw it out there. Currently with her (8 weeks) she's getting half hour walk in the morning plus probably 20/30 minutes play time, I leave for work 8am and she's in the yard with all her toys and bed as pictured, neighbors come and check on her every couple of hours, partner gets home either 2 or 3.30 depending on her shift, walks and plays with her, then I've been getting home about 7pm and walking/playing with her. She's normally in bed by 8.30 asleep in her pen in our en suite and wakes us up every 2 to 3 hours to take her outside to the toilet.

Are we doing anything wrong here? As I said I tried google but I end up on "don't get a dog if you work full time, don't leave your puppy alone for more then 2 hours etc" which makes me think we're doing a s**t job.

Only been a few days but so far so good. Thoughts? Anything I should change?

Runk you liked before I edited :p
She's gorgeus. If I was to give you any advice it would be stop feeding her that dry s**t in her bowl and get her on a raw food diet as soon as possible.

View attachment 553959

The new apple of my eye. What I've learned is don't Google for advice, especially if it takes you to the US forums. Those guys are nuts.

EDIT: But **** it coz I know most of you aren't nuts I'll throw it out there. Currently with her (8 weeks) she's getting half hour walk in the morning plus probably 20/30 minutes play time, I leave for work 8am and she's in the yard with all her toys and bed as pictured, neighbors come and check on her every couple of hours, partner gets home either 2 or 3.30 depending on her shift, walks and plays with her, then I've been getting home about 7pm and walking/playing with her. She's normally in bed by 8.30 asleep in her pen in our en suite and wakes us up every 2 to 3 hours to take her outside to the toilet.

Are we doing anything wrong here? As I said I tried google but I end up on "don't get a dog if you work full time, don't leave your puppy alone for more then 2 hours etc" which makes me think we're doing a s**t job.

Only been a few days but so far so good. Thoughts? Anything I should change?

Runk you liked before I edited :p
She's a cutie :)

Honestly if you care enough to worry you're probably doing just fine. Don't overthink it :p Unless the pup isn't settled or is showing signs of being anxious or lonely or something, don't sweat it.

Here's an Australian article that says being alone is good for puppies :D (Just to balance out the other crap you said you tried to read :) )

3. Enjoyable alone time for your puppy
New puppies need lots of companionship, training and playtime with you, but it’s also very important for them to enjoy spending time on their own. Preparing your puppy for inevitable periods of time being left by themselves is important; puppies need to learn how to occupy their time when home alone right from the start.

Puppies are very cute and there is often a temptation to carry them from room to room or let them follow you around all day, but this is not good for your puppy (or you) as they may eventually develop a dependency on human company and become anxious and destructive when left alone.

A puppy pen may be used for confinement when you cannot supervise your puppy. This will help keep them out of mischief and prevent them from destructive chewing, digging mistakes and toileting in the wrong place.
https://puppytales.com.au/dr-katrinas-top-5-tips-to-raising-a-puppy/

Awesome pup! (Kiara?)
You have nothing to worry about, that is a good schedule. You have obviously done some research and put some thought into it. (And also have some great neighbours)
Pups probably sleep at least 18 hours a day, so she wouldn’t be awake much while you are out.
I’d keep her awake while you’re around so she’s extra tired when you’re not there.
Haha yes that's her name. Did I mention that? I'm to tired to remember

She's gorgeus. If I was to give you any advice it would be stop feeding her that dry s**t in her bowl and get her on a raw food diet as soon as possible.
Yeah that was the left over stuff from the breeder, photo is from the first day where we tried to maintain routine. We've switched over now.

Last edited:
So new plan.

I'm gonna let her pee on the carpet every night.

Last night she was perfect toilet wise but a feral little turd every other way. Tonight she's had an accident and knowing she did wrong is seemingly determined to be the most perfectly behaved puppy ever.

So new plan.

I'm gonna let her pee on the carpet every night.

Last night she was perfect toilet wise but a feral little turd every other way. Tonight she's had an accident and knowing she did wrong is seemingly determined to be the most perfectly behaved puppy ever.
Those seem mutually exclusive. :think:

So my little feral is off to have her first night somewhere that isn't my ensuite. We're away so she's staying with Mum and Dad.

Gonna be interesting.

So my little feral is off to have her first night somewhere that isn't my ensuite. We're away so she's staying with Mum and Dad.

Gonna be interesting.
Take a blanket she uses so she has a familiar smell if you think she'll fret.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a blanket she uses so she has a familiar smell if you think she'll fret.
Yeah we'll do that. Shes with their dog who she loves so we're hoping she'll cuddle in.

Partner asked me what we'll do if she cries. I said I doubt we'll hear here from 150km away. :p

Its tough but we've got a few trips planned coming up, she'll have to get used to sleeping without us around.

Yeah we'll do that. Shes with their dog who she loves so we're hoping she'll cuddle in.

Partner asked me what we'll do if she cries. I said I doubt we'll hear here from 150km away. :p

Its tough but we've got a few trips planned coming up, she'll have to get used to sleeping without us around.
She'll be fine with the other dogs, and obviously knows your parents too so she'll have safe surroundings. My pup just thinks of my folks as her second home these days.

Sounds like you’ll need to consider coping strategies for when you pick her up and she doesn’t want to leave your parents’

Sounds like you’ll need to consider coping strategies for when you pick her up and she doesn’t want to leave your parents’
Pretty much. Fireworks just went off and Dad went out to make sure the Dogs were ok, both asleep in the same kennel.

With my two dogs I use to be with a Vet Health Plan where they send you the Flea and Worming products etc. For the price I reckon it’s cheaper for me to buy myself. Any recommendations and what do you do with your dogs?

I used to get that stuff from the vets. It’s a bit more expensive but works. The flea treatments from the supermarket are pretty useless.

I used to get that stuff from the vets. It’s a bit more expensive but works. The flea treatments from the supermarket are pretty useless.

I was paying about $1500 for my two dogs at the vet and it was stuff you could just buy online. They eat premium food and healthy young dogs so thought the extra budget isn’t worth it if I can do it personally so just looking for opinions for what people use

I was paying about $1500 for my two dogs at the vet and it was stuff you could just buy online. They eat premium food and healthy young dogs so thought the extra budget isn’t worth it if I can do it personally so just looking for opinions for what people use

Wow, that’s a lot of cash, I hope you got more than just worm and flea treatments.
I’d definitely look into buying the same items yourself.

I’ve been lucky, my two have never had fleas and haven’t been wormed since they were pups.

Wow, that’s a lot of cash, I hope you got more than just worm and flea treatments.
I’d definitely look into buying the same items yourself.

I’ve been lucky, my two have never had fleas and haven’t been wormed since they were pups.

Yeah you get free vet checks etc but with two healthy dogs its hardly used.

The whole dog industry plus every thing else just seems so shady with a load of scams to get your money.

Yeah you get free vet checks etc but with two healthy dogs its hardly used.

The whole dog industry plus every thing else just seems so shady with a load of scams to get your money.

Hell yeah, it’s a massive industry now. And most people will do anything for their pets so they are vulnerable to getting ripped off. Best to do research and ask questions like you did before spending a fortune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back