Prediction Doig Medal 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
So with the real football finished it’s time to turn our attention to Fremantle Football Club’s night of nights – the Annual Doig Medal Presentation night.

Last year’s top 5 was:

1st Lachie Neale (200 votes – 22 Games Played)
2nd Stephen Hill (170 – 21 Games Played)
3rd Michael Walters (152 – 22 Games Played)
4th Matthew Pavlich (118 – 18 Games Played)
5th Lee Spurr (116 22 - Games Played)

What are everyone’s thoughts on the likely winner in 2017?

With the current voting system (Five members of the Fremantle coaching staff, including RtB, allocate every player up to five votes for each match - Maximum 25 votes/game) it is very difficult to make up ground if any player has missed significant game time during the year, so I think that can rule out Michael Walters (17 Games), Stephen Hill (18 Games) and Connor Blakely (17 Games).

With that in mind my top 5 predictions are:

Joel Hamling
Lachie Neale*
Nat Fyfe*
Brad Hill*
David Mundy

*I actually think that Neale, Fyfe and B.Hill will all be very close together.

Other awards up for grabs on the night are:
Players’ Award: (2016 Winner: Lachie Neale): Prediction - Hamling
Best Clubman: (Aaron Sandilands): Prediction - Walters
Beacon Award: (Lachie Weller): Prediction – Darcy Tucker

What say the rest of you?

Top 5 for me;

Fyfe
Hamling
B Hill
Neale
Weller
very closely followed by
Jonno, Mundy and Walters

I agree with your predictions for the other awards Okinakashi.

Last edited:

Fyfe
Hamling
Brad Hill
Neale
Mundy

Player's Award: Fyfe
Clubman: Walters
Beacon: Ryan

Nat Fyfe
Joel Hamling
Lachie Neale
Michael Walters
Connor Blakely

Beacon: Sean "Hodor" Darcy
Clubman: Michael "Midland Magic" Walters
Player's: Nat "all the players hate him" Fyfe

I reckon Fyfe will take it home particularly after quite a strong second half from him

Predicted top 5:
Fyfe
B Hill
Walters
Neale
Hamling

Top five predictions

Joel Hamling
Lachie Neale
Nat Fyfe
Brad Hill
Stephen Hill

Other awards:
Players’ Award: (2016 Winner: Lachie Neale): Prediction - Blakely
Best Clubman: (Aaron Sandilands): Prediction - Griffin
Beacon Award: (Lachie Weller): Prediction – Sean Darcy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just did our voting and, like that, I reckon it will be fairly close. I've been saying for a few weeks now that that Hamling will be smoky because of the voting system will favour his type over most other methods about the place. I think Brad will finish a lot higher than we rate him too - again because of the voting system used. I'll go something like:

1. Fyfe
2. BHill
3. Hamling
4. Neale
5. Walters - bit of a stretch due to only playing 17 games, but his mid-season form was so so good.

Others:
Clubman: Griff, maybe Spurr
Beacon: Really hard to pick this, I'll go Tucker (is it best 1st or 2nd year player Okinakashi? I think it is. If 1st year only which it used to be, then Luke Ryan)

EDIT: Discussion bellow says Tucker doesn't qualify, so I'll stick with Ryan.

Last edited:
Beacon: Really hard to pick this, I'll go Tucker (is it best 1st or 2nd year player Okinakashi? I think it is. If 1st year only which it used to be, then Luke Ryan)
Weller won last year's as a 2nd year player, but I'm not sure if there's any other non 1st year winners.

A Pearce wasn't in his first year when he won it, maybe it's the same eligibility rules as the rising star?
They seem to use the criteria of "best young player". I don't think there's anything specific. Everyone should be eligible then so that I can feel not old :p

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2016-10-09/beacon-award

"the beacon award uses the same criteria as the NAB rising star award, excluding the age criteria, where the player is still eligible to win the award in his second year if he played less than 10 games in his first year."

Eligible:
Logue
Darcy
Cox
Ryan
Balic
Nyhuis
Grey?
Deluca?

Missed Out I think:
Tucker
Collins

Probably missed a couple of players.
Also unsure whether they would consider Grey and Deluca as first/second year players (probably not).

You all know how much I love Fyfey, but I'm not sure he's a lock in for the Doig this year. He's played some great games, but the Doig tens to get voted based on the player's individual ability, rather than who was best on the day. And Fyfe's played a bit under his ability this year because he's coming back from injury.

I think Hamling might have it. He's had a great year for such a young player, and in such an inexperienced backline.

Walters is going to lose out because he missed so many games

Doig:
1 Hamling
2 Fyfe
3 Neale
4 Mundy
5 Blakely

Players: Fyfe

Best Clubman: Sandi

Beacon: Ryan

Wait... my top 5 makes no sense. B Hill'll be up in the top 5 easily.

I want to tie the Beacon award between Ryan & Darcy. Ryan's year has been outstanding for sure. But Darcy's gone so far above expectations. Who'd have thought he'd play so well as our number 1 ruck. Who'd have thought he'd even get a game this year!

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2016-10-09/beacon-award

"the beacon award uses the same criteria as the NAB rising star award, excluding the age criteria, where the player is still eligible to win the award in his second year if he played less than 10 games in his first year."

Eligible:
Logue
Darcy
Cox
Ryan
Balic
Nyhuis
Grey?
Deluca?

Missed Out I think:
Tucker
Collins

Probably missed a couple of players.
Also unsure whether they would consider Grey and Deluca as first/second year players (probably not).

I think Deluca would be eligible because you start the "year's played" in the year they actually take the field not when they go onto a playing list. Grey played three years ago (made his debut in the 'resting game' vs PA) so I suspect won't qualify by that reckoning - wonder if they make an exception though, he'd only played 3 games up to this year? And yes, Collins and Tucker both don't qualify due to 12 games played last year for both.

Given that Tucker doesn't qualify, I'll change mine to Ryan.

Weller won last year's as a 2nd year player, but I'm not sure if there's any other non 1st year winners.
Quite a few recently: Sutcliffe, Taberner, Pearce

And some more not so recently: Browne, Polak, Michael, Gale

Mundy was not in his first year either. Just didn't play games in his first...

I think it will be Fyfe, Hill B and Hamling - though do agree that Fyfe gets judged by his own lofty standards which might give Neale a look in although he was well off his best for much of the year.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back